Help!Trying to quit smoking,Using Quomen and watched Allen Carr's DVD

DVik44

Hi all,

I've read a lot of threads in regards to using Quomen (actual drug name: Bupropion, Wellbutrin, Zyban, etc. ) And read quite a few success stories. I've also watched Allen Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking DVD and got the audiobook and am listening to it.

I'm on Day 12 of taking Quomen and have been taking 300 mg a day (150 mg twice a day) and I tried quitting smoking but I still feel the withdrawal symptoms and cravings.I know directions are to take the medication between a week to two weeks before you're quit date although I read a lot of success stories where people who used Quomen here and all over the world and had success. They say that cigarettes begin to taste bad after a few days or a week and felt no need to smoke and no withdrawal symptoms.

(BTW: I smoke a pack of menthols a day...could the menthol taste be interfering with the affects of the Quomen?)

Yet I'm on Day 12 but I still feel the urge and cravings when I try to stop and I'm just wondering if hopefully after the 2 week mark I WILL begin to experience what others have experienced with this medication where the taste becomes apalling and are able to stop smoking and have no cravings or withdrawal symptoms. I don't want the last days of experiencing the plethora of side effects for nothing!!! And like I said I've watched Allen Carr's DVD The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and I'm listening to the audio book.

So my main question is...after the two week / 14 day mark will the effects of Quomen take effect and I'll be able to quit without the cravings or withdrawal pangs? and will cigarettes taste and smell apalling to me? Believe me I DO want to quit, it's just that the phsysical withdrawal symptoms really get to me and make me smoke!

I also know about Chantix but by the time I read about it and learned that it holds a higher success rate that Quomen I was already a week into Quomen..although I read it's pretty dangerous and the side effects sound pretty scary (Although I've read it worked for some people with no issues) scary so I stayed with Quomen since I already bought a month's supply

Backstory: I tried quitting cold turkey before and stayed smoke free for 13 days but I was still experiencing some withdrawal symptoms so I had a smoke and felt the tightness in my chest go away..but later days I thought maybe a few won't hurt but of course I fell into that slippery slope and relapsed and eventually I started smoking. I was searching for aids as I've tried patches and gum with no success. I searched the web for aids to make the withdrawal and cravings easier and found lots of success with Bupropion (Quomen out here in Thailand) so I decided to give it a try.

Edited by DVik44

It's been 8 years since I quit a two pack a day habit following a thirty year period of active smoking. I had to get into the grips of heart disease to do something about it. I finally did it cold turkey as my doctor advised my heart condition could be adversely affected by any medication. I can say I wanted to smoke every day for the first two years. However I was a really hard smoker - I loved plain (no filters) Camels and Gitanes and roll-ups. I had the most awful cravings for a cigarette and at times I literally was on my knees begging for divine intervention. Obviously some days were better than others.

I was undoubtedly helped by the restrictions on smoking in public places. I don't think there is any getting away from having cravings. Just sit with them, they will undoubtedly pass. Focus on not taking the first cigarette - if you don't have that first one, you can't take the second and the third, you cannot begin; thinking about one being too many and twenty not enough.

And don't spend too much time thinking or debating. Get active and go to places where you can't smoke.

WHatever cravings you experience they will wondrously leave you at some point as they did even me. I noticed they had gone one day and I haven't really looked back. I reckon I can smell tobacco smoke 50 yards away! It's a joy not to reek of nicotine and smoke and to be able to taste and not have to spit out all the phlegm and my heart symptoms have significantly improved too. I always liked that bit in the Allen Carr book where he suggests you go immediately to page whatever, which is the beginning of the chapter headed The Benefits of Smoking - I won't spoil it for you but you should go to that page and read it carefully!

Good luck! You can do it!

• 2 weeks later...

just stop smoking without hopping for magic tablets.

It is one week difficult.

another week moderate difficult

than you are done. Investment 2 weeks of willpower.

WELL it appears I can't reply to the newbie comment but on the subject of the drug (QUOMEM) he used........its been shown to be very risky for many....

as far as I'm aware its banned in most countries...with the exception of Thailand ,Spain and one other.......MUST BE A GOOD REASON FOR THE BAN

Originally appeared as Zyban ..my wife and I tried it......the chest pains started and the heart beat rose....and there were many other bad affects.......

Two weeks was enough.........the doctor took us offf them ...fast....

SOON AFTER media reports started appearing of people having strokes and heart attacks etc......

the link is attached

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24267/Smokers-die-taking-Zyban-cure.html

Articles like this appeared in the US ,Australia and many other countries.........

smoking is bad enough...its kicking the nicotine habit that is the real challenge.....

they sell nicotine gum....and many then get addicted to them......

the patches best work when applied to the mouth...great for weight reduction.......

did try Acupuncture ...it did work for a year almost from day one...but I was fortunate I found someone who knew what they were doing.......

I said a year.....yes..I relented one night....the "wife" over a cup of coffee said just try one..........one was one too many.........wives and friends like that one does not need....she now has an ex in front of her former status.