Phuket: Swedish national Johan Sebastian Ljung gets life in prison

webfact

BREAKING NEWS: Swede gets life in prison
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2014124142138187_ejeKGLUqDvMX
Johan Sebastian Ljung was also ordered to pay 12.5 million baht in compensation to the victim’s family. Photo: Dean Noble

PHUKET: -- Swedish national Johan Sebastian Ljung today was sentenced to life imprisonment for the stabbing murder of Maxim Schantz in Phuket two years ago.

He was also ordered to pay 12.5 million baht in compensation to the victim’s family.

Mr Ljung, 28, and Tommy Viktor Soderlund, also 28, were arrested by police at a hotel room at Surin Beach, on Phuket’s west coast.

Both men confessed to their role in the killing. However, they denied any intent to murder Mr Schantz (story here).

The handing down of the sentence today followed a media blackout on reporting witness testimonies delivered during the trial as the court deemed it could unfairly support the defendants (story here).

Mr Ljung has 30 days to appeal the sentence.

Tommy Soderlund's sentencing is set for March.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/BREAKING-NEWS-Swede-gets-life-in-prison-23391.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-24

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to condemn the actions of Mr Ljung, and Tommy Viktor Soderlund.

And I applause the life sentence.

As about "He was also ordered to pay 12.5 million baht in compensation to the victim’s family."

Is this a Farang price?

Never before heard compensations like that awarded to the victim's family if the murderer is Thai.

I think the fine is meaningless, as non-payment leads to additional years added to sentence but he has already got life.

• Like 2

An outrageous sentence.

Unlikely he will really do life; in 20 or 30 years whoever is King by then will likely commute his sentence.

How often do we see heroin smugglers sentenced to life - or even the death penalty - and let out in 12 years? He will likely do double that for a murder, but not very likely he will die in a Thai prison as an old man.

Does anyone really believe that 12.5 million baht fine will ever be paid?

not to mention it will surely be reduced and he'll probably only serve 6 to 8 years and/or be transferred back to his home country's prison system.

That seems a little TOO soon, it was murder after all.

Most likely 20+ years in the Thai prison system, sending 'em home in 6 or 8 sends a bad message that Thai justice is light for murderers.

Interesting quote from Pattaya police regarding a prior arrest of the co-accused Tommy Soderlund. (The two murderers and the victim used to operate a fraudulent telesales scam in Pattaya.) No laws for cheating people through phone calls. He must have meant no laws against cheating farangs in other countries through phone calls but many gangs who were scamming Thais have been rounded up and charged with fraud.

“Tommy was in the group we arrested [in February], but we didn’t catch Johan. We charged them for working without permits, but nothing else because there are no laws against cheating people through phone calls like they did,” Maj Nackaphan said.

not to mention it will surely be reduced and he'll probably only serve 6 to 8 years and/or be transferred back to his home country's prison system.

That seems a little TOO soon, it was murder after all.

Most likely 20+ years in the Thai prison system, sending 'em home in 6 or 8 sends a bad message that Thai justice is light for murderers.

While you are welcome, as we all are to our opinions, some might think destroying somebody's life, for the actions committed in a few minutes of their life, that may one day be a productive member of society, is extremely harsh. Not knowing this person or all the facts makes it a hard call.

As or 20 years in a Thai prison, that is never going to happen unless he is a complete screw up in terms of how he handles himself and the case moving forward. At least based on typical time served compared to initial sentence and prisoner exchange treaty. One really has to wonder what he did to upset the court to not get a reduction for admission ... if in fact his admission was believed since in his admission he said the murder was an accident.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Swede sentenced to life for 2011 Phuket murder
The Phuket News

1390554874_1.jpg
Johan Ljung, pictured just after his arrest.

PHUKET: -- Swedish man Johan Sebastian Ljung was today (January 24) sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Russian-born Swede Maxim Schantz in 2011.

He has 30 days to appeal the sentence.

He was also ordered to pay B12.5 million compensation to Mr Schantz’s family.

Ljung and fellow Swede Tommy Viktor Söderlund – both aged 26 when the murder took place in The Lantern apartment complex in Koh Kaew in August 2011 – faced charges of conspiracy to murder; possession of a handgun and seven bullets with no permit; possession of a handgun in a public area; threatening use of a knife in a public area; and theft of a motorcycle.

The duo denied all charges except for the threatening use of a knife in public.

The men earlier confessed to having a part in the death of Mr Schantz, 25, saying it was a came after a business partnership turned sour, though they claimed they did not intend to kill Mr Schantz.

The men were arrested at the Surin Sweet Hotel in Surin in 2011, where they had apparently gone into hiding after fatally stabbing Mr Schantz putside the apartment he had rented at The Lantern.

The three men had previously been part of a call centre scam operation in Pattaya.

In February 2011, Mr Schantz apparently fell out with the group and left, taking with him a list of all their “customers” and delivering it to Pattaya police. That led to the arrest of Söderlund, who was later released on bail.

After a quick search of Facebook, Söderlund and Ljung found that Mr Schantz had moved to Phuket, and decided to pay him a visit.

It took them three weeks to track him down, but they eventually found him living in The Lantern in Koh Kaew, and moved into a house opposite.

When Mr Schantz returned home late on August 1, 2011, the two men confronted him and tried to force him into their house.

Mr Schantz resisted, and in the ensuing struggle Mr Schantz was fatally stabbed in the jugular vein with a knife Ljung was holding to his throat.

“It was an accident,” Söderlund told police at the time.

The two then fled the scene, commandeering a motorbike to make their escape.

They initially checked into the Andaman Place Hotel in Thalang District, before moving to Surin Sweet Hotel, where they were arrested. A blood-stained T-shirt belonging to Ljung was found in their room.

Söderlund’s trial will conclude on March 8.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/swede-sentenced-to-life-for-2011-phuket-murder-44213.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-24

Do the crime serve the time he is a murderer so best place for him for the publics interest and safety is behind bars steel ones.

I agree, but, the question is how much time?

Other murderers got a lot less. This guy pleaded guilty.

Should he get more time than the guy who stabbed his girlfriend three times, cut her up, shoved the body in a suitcase, then dumped it on wasteland? That guy got 10 years.

It's the total inconsistency in sentencing that Ps me off.

• Like 1

An outrageous sentence.

Firstly, he plead guilty.

Secondly, it wasn't pre-meditated murder.

Thirdly, "the pitbull" got 25 years which was premeditated murder.

Fourthly, the "body in a suitcase" murderer only got 10 years.

Thai justice.......an oxymoron.

No1 just because he pleaded guilty doesn't mean that he should get off

No2 it was far more premeditated than pit bulls situation, pit bull got into a brawl and alcohol took over these 2 guys traveled all the way from pattaya to Phuket to get there guy armed with knives and a gun can't get more premeditated than that now

• Like 2

An outrageous sentence.

No2 it was far more premeditated than pit bulls situation, pit bull got into a brawl and alcohol took over these 2 guys traveled all the way from pattaya to Phuket to get there guy armed with knives and a gun can't get more premeditated than that now

Wrong on no 2.................coffee1.gif

An outrageous sentence.

Where does it say in any of my posts that I think he should get away with it?

You need to read the about the case. It was not pre-meditated. If it was, they wouldn't have got their money back. They wanted to scare him.

Coming from Pattaya with knife and gun has sweet FA to do with pre-meditation.

Edited by KarenBravo

An outrageous sentence.

Where does it say in any of my posts that I think he should get away with it?

You need to read the about the case. It was not pre-meditated. If it was, they wouldn't have got their money back. They wanted to scare him.

Coming from Pattaya with knife and gun has sweet FA to do with pre-meditation.

You keep saying it wasn't premeditated how so you know there intentions did they tell you, when u travel 1000 km armed with knives and guns then it's inevitable that something going to happen, they may not have intended to actually kill but I'm sure he intention was to seriously harm the guy if they didn't get what they wanted and that's exactly what happened.

The guy died never to walk this earth again so they have to pay the consequences of there actions like everyone does so the sentence is fair, and the compensation is fair

• Like 2

Interesting that in this case of farang vs. farang murder ends up in a life sentence, but the Lee "Pit bull" case did not...

The Lee "Pit bull" case was probably reduced due to lack of premeditated action since it was probably considered a "crime of passion", while the Swedish murder was pre-meditated and thus more severe a crime with a corresponding sentence.

As about "He was also ordered to pay 12.5 million baht in compensation to the victim’s family."

Is this a Farang price?

Never before heard compensations like that awarded to the victim's family if the murderer is Thai.

And you applaud this without knowing any of the evidence?

It may have been blind decisions that caused the death...

Suggesting a Farang price, simply because you have never heard of compensation like this is simply ridiculous, racist and callous!.

Perhaps offering up some respect for all concerned would have been more appropriate.

Edited by thhMan

Sure seems appropriate to me . They traveled to phuket to get this guy ... what do you think , they rented the house opposite . As for the compensation it might as well be 112.5 m baht as not one baht will ever reach the intended receipient. He should be thankfull it's not Saudi or similar.

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The average 'life sentence' actually being SERVED in the UK is now only 6 years. The full? 'life sentence' is normally set at 14 years but with concessions a murderer can be released much earlier

The result has been that we can now read cases of Mr Smith being sentenced to 'life' in 1980 for murder, sentenced again to 'life' in 1992, sentenced again to 'life' in 2004 and currently Mr Smith is awaiting trial for yet another murder

So 'life' clearly doesn't mean 'life' in UK and it probably doesn't mean 'life' in Thailand either. Haven't checked the statistics for Thailand but I can imagine any murderer with sufficient assets will only serve sentences similar to those in the UK

The US system where 999 years or the death penalty is often enforced seems a much more equitable system for law abiding members of society

Is this a Farang price?

And you applaud this without knowing any of the evidence?

It may have been blind decisions that caused the death...

Suggesting a Farang price, simply because you have never heard of compensation like this is simply ridiculous, racist and callous!.

Perhaps offering up some respect for all concerned would have been more appropriate.

Compensation is a bit lenient to me

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

An outrageous sentence.

The sentence is not absolutely confirmed as yet, because he can still appeal against the sentence and now we wait and see.

Whatever, this is still a tragic case of young lives ruined, it`s a sad state of affairs all round, there are no winners only justice and none of this will bring back the murdered victim.

My sincere condolences go out to all the families involved.