Phuket: Swedish national Johan Sebastian Ljung gets life in prison

webfact

An outrageous sentence.

Firstly, he plead guilty.

Secondly, it wasn't pre-meditated murder.

Thirdly, "the pitbull" got 25 years which was premeditated murder.

Fourthly, the "body in a suitcase" murderer only got 10 years.

Thai justice.......an oxymoron.

This doesn't just apply to Thailand. It's world wide.... and the reason for that is that its a "legal system" and NOT a "justice system"!

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to condemn the actions of Mr Ljung, and Tommy Viktor Soderlund.

And I applause the life sentence.

As about "He was also ordered to pay 12.5 million baht in compensation to the victim’s family."

Is this a Farang price?

Never before heard compensations like that awarded to the victim's family if the murderer is Thai.

And you applaud this without knowing any of the evidence?

It may have been blind decisions that caused the death...

Suggesting a Farang price, simply because you have never heard of compensation like this is simply ridiculous, racist and callous!.

Perhaps offering up some respect for all concerned would have been more appropriate.

Why should he show respect for the murder and scammer, is it a friend of yours? Court has found him guilty and he has confessed so no respect for him.

thhMan, on 24 Jan 2014 - 17:38, said:thhMan, on 24 Jan 2014 - 17:38, said:
Costas2008, on 24 Jan 2014 - 14:51, said:Costas2008, on 24 Jan 2014 - 14:51, said:

As about "He was also ordered to pay 12.5 million baht in compensation to the victim’s family."

Is this a Farang price?

Never before heard compensations like that awarded to the victim's family if the murderer is Thai.

Suggesting a Farang price, simply because you have never heard of compensation like this is simply ridiculous, racist and callous!.

Perhaps offering up some respect for all concerned would have been more appropriate.

Thanks for your comments about my post and myself.

You are right I don't know any of the evidence, but I know what I read on the OP "Both men confessed to their role in the killing"

As to the value of the compensation the idea was to highlight the double standards Thai courts are using.

I personally believe that NO compensation is high enough for the loss of your beloved.

As about racist and callous......I can assure you, never in my life had anything against any other nationalities, colour of skin or religious believes.

I do express my dissatisfaction, sometimes, against the Thai way of thinking, but this doesn't stop me loving this country.

Edited by Costas2008

Is this a Farang price?

Why should he show respect for the murder and scammer, is it a friend of yours? Court has found him guilty and he has confessed so no respect for him.

You understand little of the loss of life,

it's a double tragedy.

There are no winners, only losers.

do you not respect human life?

sad people.

As I remember correctly when this murder was reported many here jumped on the bandwagon that it had to be done by a Thai and that he would never see a day in jail or any consequences for his crime. The silence was interesting when it was found that the killers were two faranges. Now that some justice has been handed out the Thai system is a joke. Come on guys this is not Kansas you live in or visit Thais have a completely different way looking at things if you cannot except this fact it must be time for a reality check.

A 12.5 million baht payout to the family? A Thai Hi-So would be out walking free for that sort of change. Well, how do you spell xenophobia.

I believe the red bull guy paid about 10million and the family of the girl who hit the van paid out about 8 to 10 million for each of her victims

Considering a life sentence is not a life sentence or anywhere close in terms of what will be served and that the accused were part of an illegal call center gang running here and the victim owed them millions of baht (in the accused minds) and they drove to the victim's place with gun and knife and that after the killing they stole a motorcycle from somebody at gun point ... seems the sentence is not at all unreasonable ... not to mention it will surely be reduced and he'll probably only serve 6 to 8 years and/or be transferred back to his home country's prison system.

As for the monetary award - the Foreign victim's Mother sued and got an award that will likely never be paid but more inline with Swedish standard than Thai standards as the victim was not Thai. But lets not let all of this get in the way of criticizing Thailand and its courts..

Sad waste of life for all involved.

I would imagine that the fine would be something that they could further take to court in the home country once the guilty are transferred and then released early for good behaviour.

not to mention it will surely be reduced and he'll probably only serve 6 to 8 years and/or be transferred back to his home country's prison system.

That seems a little TOO soon, it was murder after all.

Most likely 20+ years in the Thai prison system, sending 'em home in 6 or 8 sends a bad message that Thai justice is light for murderers.

Huh? What Thailand, and on what other planet, have you been "fantasizing" about? whistling.gif Wake-up, and smell the real the "home-grown" coffee of Thailandcoffee1.gif

Is this a Farang price?

I think the fine is meaningless, as non-payment leads to additional years added to sentence but he has already got life.

if years to be added more for non-payment, it may be 1 and a half life sentence. So a sentence and a phrase...smile.png

An outrageous sentence.

Firstly, he plead guilty.

Secondly, it wasn't pre-meditated murder.

Thirdly, "the pitbull" got 25 years which was premeditated murder.

Fourthly, the "body in a suitcase" murderer only got 10 years.

Thai justice.......an oxymoron.

oh really?

"In preparation for their attack, the pair packed a knife, a gun and a plastic band for tying their victim’s wrists, police said.

Soderlund and Ljung tried to force Mr Schantz back into his home to carry out their plan, but the victim put up a fight.

That’s when Ljung plunged a knife into Mr Schantz’s neck, killing him, police said. "

sure, they just wanted to chat with him a bit...

life sentence is not enough. The one who intentionally took somebody's life deserves a death sentence. and nothing else.

• Like 1

The lesson here is don't expect the Thai legal system to give you the same type of Mickey Mouse sentences that are given out in some western countries. The Thais can do what they like because its their country, so if you can't do the time don't do the crime.

The Uk is in the process of trying to increase full life sentances, so they have yet to sentence the killers of Lee Rigby.

This Swede did the crime and looking at the pictures of his face the Thias have proberly saved someone elses life by getting him off the streets.

Life sentences don't bother me because I don't go around stabbing people.

Edited by MRDave

not to mention it will surely be reduced and he'll probably only serve 6 to 8 years and/or be transferred back to his home country's prison system.

That seems a little TOO soon, it was murder after all.

Most likely 20+ years in the Thai prison system, sending 'em home in 6 or 8 sends a bad message that Thai justice is light for murderers.

not sure why the Thai government should continue paying for their keep le the Swedish government pick up the bill.

Do the crime serve the time he is a murderer so best place for him for the publics interest and safety is behind bars steel ones.

I agree, but, the question is how much time?

Other murderers got a lot less. This guy pleaded guilty.

Should he get more time than the guy who stabbed his girlfriend three times, cut her up, shoved the body in a suitcase, then dumped it on wasteland? That guy got 10 years.

It's the total inconsistency in sentencing that Ps me off.

...Then I'd say high anxiety is your lot in life. Nothing about someone else getting less than they deserved should prevent an appropriate sentence in the present case. Life being full of injustices doesn't make the case for even more of them.

An outrageous sentence.

Unlikely he will really do life; in 20 or 30 years whoever is King by then will likely commute his sentence.

How often do we see heroin smugglers sentenced to life - or even the death penalty - and let out in 12 years? He will likely do double that for a murder, but not very likely he will die in a Thai prison as an old man.

Does anyone really believe that 12.5 million baht fine will ever be paid?

but not very likely he will die in a Thai prison as an old man.

Or he will die in a Thai Prison as still a young man whistling.gif

Does Thailand have any "exchange program/system" (in lack of better vocabulary) with Sweden?
If so he'll probably only be in Thailand for 10 years or so. And if I remember our rules back home he should only get about 10-15 years or so in Sweden if he behave well, since there's no real lifetime punishment (or perhaps there are, I've been partly in Norway for too long to remember).
I think the Swedish law regarding life in prison goes something like 10-15 years and then you are tested if you are suit to become a free man again or not.

Personally I think he deserves lifetime in Bang Kwan or some other rotten prison..

The compensation of 12,5 mill. bt sounds a bit over the top. I'm used to see sentences like "5 years in prison and 15,000 baht" etc. in Thailand, never seen anyone get up in amounts of millions. Not even when farangs kill Thais. So I guess it's a cases ruled on the basis of them all being westerners(?), however weird.