Japan calls off all tours to Thailand

webfact

Central is pretty grim, I mean BKK is an experience but never been one for cities, Pattaya is . . . . South never been. Live in the northeast. Been north. Chiang Mai Chiang Rai.

Now for normal people the north is where it's at. But I reckon you need to include Laos in your trip, a cruise up the Mekong to Luang Prabang.

My routine is land at BKK, go to Don Muang, then head to Makro and the decorating shop. Never go anywhere. Koh Samet to see old friends now and again, but the rest is just domestic chores.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, I look at these advisories and get a bit more pessimistic about the situation. Government agencies are going to have a much better grasp of what the future holds for Thailand, and that is why they are making these decisions. Being here, I feel like those people in New Orleans that ignored the warnings to leave the city during hurricane Katrina. I honestly believe the US and Japanese governments are making rational decisions in trying to protect their citizens from being a victim of this. This isn't some situation like after 9-11 where everything was a terrorist warning. I do not believe The people making these announcements have an ulterior motive, or are over reacting.

• Like 1

If all sex tours to The land of smiles are cancelled its goodnight Thai economy. Theres not all that much else here.

Maybe not much more for tourists, but there is a great deal for travelers to see -- the beauty of Ayutthaya and the Wats nationwide, watching the sunrise over the Andaman Sea, the short rugged mountains of the north, the scintillating waters of Phretchabkirikahn...

There is so much more here than sex tours I could not fit it into two books.

There is not much opportunity to watch the sun rise over the Andaman Sea. It is to the West of Thailand. Better you wait till the evening.

• Like 2

If all sex tours to The land of smiles are cancelled its goodnight Thai economy. Theres not all that much else here.

------------------

Pure nonsense...... Industries in Thailand that export products made in Thailand (even if they are Japanese cars) are a far greater proportion of the real Thai economy than tourism actually is.

Only a small percentage of the Thai economy actually depends directly on Tourism, and only a small part of that actually trickles down to the street level Thai worker.

Pure nonsense, indeed. Depending on who one choses to believe, tourism brings in between 6% and 14% of Thailand's GDP. And that doesn't include most of Thailand's sex trade. Or hotels and bars that keep two sets of books.

No need for anything to trickle down when customers are handing over money directly to the girls.

------------------

Times have changed, my friend.

(The first time I came to Thailand was in 1977, and I can remember the illustrated Japanese books with the girl's photos in the massage parlors for Japanese tourists back then.)

No more.

That's simply not true. Saw one last night on the lobby table at Thai Saba on Soi 33i. Hang out with a few Japanese, and you might be surprised at what you can learn.

Times haven't changed as much as you think, my friend.

Additionally, IIRC, the OP was about *all* Japan tours to Thailand, not exclusively "sex" tours. I could be wrong but can't be bothered to re-read the post.

Maybe not much more for tourists, but there is a great deal for travelers to see -- the beauty of Ayutthaya and the Wats nationwide, watching the sunrise over the Andaman Sea, the short rugged mountains of the north, the scintillating waters of Phretchabkirikahn...

The two books wiill be found in the book shelf next to: 500 years of German humor / Italian hero sagas / Democracy for Dummys and Gourmet Guide Bangladesh…

you forgot the one entitled "Intelligent posts on TVF from Lupatria"

Sorry, couldn't resist ! wink.png

I have seen lots of scintillating and crystal clear waters in Thailand. Admittedly, they were nowhere near pattaya, jomtien, patong, etc. I remember taking a half day snorkeling trip from Koh Chang, on some of the little islands we visited, one could see clearly to the bottom, in 20-30 feet of water. The water was teeming with fish as well. Also, on a day trip from phuket, to some little island just off the south tip, the water was stunning, the beach was clean and pure white sand. The bottom was covered with healthy corals, with thousands of beautiful little fish swimming around. One must get away from the centers of sleaze and sex tourism to see these beautiful places.

Hard to believe, but just look how many people think they have been to Thailand, and never leave Pattaya or Nana. They are unable to comprehend why other people like the beaches, mountains, National Parks and Islands of Thailand. All for a reasonable price.

Tourism is not a major part of Thailand's economy as a whole.. though it is important in some locations such as Phuket, Samui etc.

IMO, roughly 10% should be considered a major part. Most people wouldn't enjoy dealing with a 10% pay cut. Gotta think most countries would scramble with a 10% decrease in GDP.

I wonder where you have traveled in the LOS to state there is not all that much here?

• Like 1

------------------

Pure nonsense...... Industries in Thailand that export products made in Thailand (even if they are Japanese cars) are a far greater proportion of the real Thai economy than tourism actually is.

Only a small percentage of the Thai economy actually depends directly on Tourism, and only a small part of that actually trickles down to the street level Thai worker.

It may have been true 30 or 40 years ago that tourism was a major player in the Thai economy, but that has changed now.

When I worked in Greece on the island of Crete I used to shop in a large Greek supermarket chain.

I remember they sold canned Tuna there.

That Tuna was packed in Thailand at a packing plant just outside of Bangkok and it said so on the label.

I won't give you the name, but it was a major international brand name well known all over Europe and the U.S. also.

Just last week there was an article in an English language Thai newspaper about the large investment that Ford Motor Company was making in Thailand where their cars would be assembled.

And actually, "packaged sex tours" are only a minor part of the Japanese tourist traffic anyhow.

This is 2014, not 1980, and the Thai economy has changed drastically since then.

Times have changed, my friend.

(The first time I came to Thailand was in 1977, and I can remember the illustrated Japanese books with the girl's photos in the massage parlors for Japanese tourists back then.)

No more.

Actually it was probably Bumble Bee Tuna you'd have seen on a grocery shelf in Crete. Khun Dumri Kunantakiet (RIP) acquired the brand and numerous assets from Pillsbury as Grand Met jettisoned the deck chairs. I worked that transaction from Hong Kong. It was, ca 1988, the largest ever foreign acquisition by a Thai company, and Khun Dumri walked tall for Thailand on the world stage for a brief moment in time. It truly was a sensation.

The sex tourists giddily whisper to mates down the pub back home the fact that their dollars, quid, Yen, or Deutchmarks can purchase (still) the entire crop of nubile daughters of Isaan, many times over, year after year. But to suggest that's the extent of it is rubbish.

Khun Dumri once introduced me to an official of some large, East German shipbuilding outfit in the coffeeshop of the Darling massage, following said official's return from his soapy.

Khun Dumri was arranging, in the Darling, to more than double his worldwide tuna fleet by acquiring shipping assets from the Treundstalt - one of the more difficult institutions with which I've dealt, to put it politely.

Alas, the days of 'Milliken Money' and swashbuckling Thai pirates ringing the bell on the NYSE are probably gone forever, but it would be a great mistake to believe that a collapse of the tourism industry would cripple the nation. It would, of course, devastate Isaan (a Thaksin stronghold, btw), but most Bangkok elites are completely insulated.

Apparently there's a fair bit more going on than our Jalang Sanitwong pundit realized.

Thailand is justly famous for a few of its well-publicized industrial sectors, and sex tourism is one of those, but many others carry on every day with global operations that would stun the Cheap Charley's beer-bar set.

"Get out of the door - light out and look all around...

And don't tell me this town ain't got no heart, when I can hear it beat out loud."

Edited by BanTamo

Japanese tourists aren't coming? That's a real worry. The missus and i are owed 800,000 Baht by the government for our rice and i still have to pay off the farm workers, fertilizer,etc. No way am i paying to grow rice for the next season. Its peaceful here in Isan so if any Japanese would like to keep fit and plow my fields for nothing they can come and i'll give them free board and lodging.

• Like 1

Yes, so much to do for the old guys who at age 70 go to essan and find a 15 year old for a wife. So sick, but so true!!!

Sorry - but this beats my simple mind! What the heck has this got to do with the topic? Relevance?

THANK YOU SUTHEP! you are really doing a great job for Thailand. A great job of killing Thailand.

Suthep is just one man. There are tens of thousands of people in the street. Or haven't you noticed.

Thousands you say WHERE

Only on a weekend now

Thailand is justly famous for a few of its well-publicized industrial sectors, and sex tourism is one of those, but many others carry on every day with global operations that would stun the Cheap Charley's beer-bar set.

It's not *just* sex tourism, but tourism in general. But look at the bigger picture; a couple weeks ago Toyota announced they're moving one of their lines to Indonesia, there's been a mass exodus of Western and Japanese run companies from the industrial estates north of Bangkok, the THB seems to be headed in the wrong direction, and we all know what the Shins did to the rice exports. I could go on...

How many sectors will the current political crisis impact?

How much loss can Thailand absorb?

• Like 2

THANK YOU SUTHEP! you are really doing a great job for Thailand. A great job of killing Thailand.

Suthep is just one man. There are tens of thousands of people in the street. Or haven't you noticed.

Thousands you say WHERE

Only on a weekend now

Simply not true.

I walked through Asoke last night and was surprised and impressed after what I've been reading on TV.

Using TAT arithmetic, "all tours cancelled" should result in at least a 127% increase in Japanese tourism.

They should be announcing this any moment now.

When quoting the TAT, please use the correct numbers!!

It should read, an increase of 127.842% rolleyes.gif

Thousands you say WHERE

Only on a weekend now

If you *really* want to know, you can see for yourself by Googleing Blue Sky online in the comfort of your own home.

The pictures don't lie.

Well just about every country has that lot and gets boring after a while anyway. So you named nothing that makes Thailand unique and worth visiting over what is on offer in many global destinations.

Also, watching the sunrise over the Amdaman sea would require you to be in the Nicobar Islands which is in fact INDIA.

Remove the sex industry and tourism would decline by about 60%

• Like 2