Fish & Aquariums

Tywais

Took a look around and couldn't see a topic that fit this so here we go. Any fish, in an aquarium or market or pond.

My first attempt at shooting into our home aquarium. Bit tricky figuring the WB, focus, etc. due to the glass I'm shooting through. I'm going to put these into separate posts so can make the topic look like it's busy. tongue.png

12150645476_3895560bee_c.jpg

Great looking Plec Mr T.

I made the mistake of putting one of those in a well planted tank I had, wrecked the bloody thing. By all accounts they like to burrow in muddy bottoms sad.png

Thanks for giving me a name as I just referred to them as 'sucker fish'. biggrin.pngPlecostomus

Looked it up and some very good information for me as I was never completely sure how to keep care of them. And I see your issue from that wiki article, our tank has no live plants in it at the moment. We got them as it was getting to be a real pain cleaning the algae off the walls every few weeks despite my employing different techniques. My wife got this one and was amazed how well the tank keeps so clean now. I was worried about the very low temperatures we have in Chiang Mai for a while now but he seems to have no issues with it.

"Some fish keepers have trouble housing them in heavily planted aquariums because some Plecostomus thrash their tails to develop a "well" in the gravel of the aquarium. It is often necessary to replant aquarium plants that they dislodge."

We had Siamese Fighting Fish a long time ago and they were doing well for a long time until a very low temperature drop and they died on us before I could get a heater.

@Tywais...ran outta likes matey...love these shots.

And from the Wiki link....

"In Florida, some people place plecos in the swimming pools of foreclosed homes.

The fish can tolerate the poor water quality and control algae growth in the pools."

Just learned something new today...Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Tywais

I came across this old photo I tried to take of the Missus when we were at the Siam Ocean World in Bangers.

Unfortunately the photo didn't come out too well (my apologies) but the look on the young girl's face behind Mrs S is priceless.

Shark.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know, even the thread starter has abandoned

his own topic...

Hey, it's the only fish I have. biggrin.png There's a concrete Koi pond near my office but I don't have a polarizing filter yet or I would try them. Lack of opportunity is all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived