My girl

Daffy D

@ Daffy D...your shot would have been really nice had you been

able to get the plane of her eye's, nose & mouth in focus. On a

profile (side view) these items fall almost on the same "plane".

Even with a PnS camera had the eye's been sharp the nose

& mouth would have also been or very close. Next time: relax,

take a deep breath, exhale slowly and have that PnS camera

focus on her eyes. Practice a bit at home...if she's willing!

Good luck.

The blue chairs in the background dominate and seem to be the sharpest part of the photo. Maybe if you had crouched lower you could have avoided the chairs and had a less fussy and intrusive background as a result? Always look at what is behind the subject you are shooting and see if there is a way to make it complement your subject better.

As others have said, had the eyes been in focus it would have worked better, and the swirl might have been more effective. Whatever you are shooting, person or animal or statue; aiming to get the eyes in focus is always a good starting point.

Keep shooting!

• Like 1

Daffy, nice colours and welcome.

Listen to Sunshine. We're lucky to have Sunshine on this board, very lucky.

Anyway, keep shooting, keep posting the shots.

Thanks MJP...Thanks much. Just trying to help...

We all gotta start somewhere...may as well be

with some advice gleaned from mess ups I have

learned from.

Hi

Sorry for the delay getting back, been a little busy.

Thank you all for your posative comments.

They always put a lot make-up on the girls at these occasions. The usual make-up woman could not do it this time so used someone else who to my mind did a great job. My girl looked stunning (as her dad I'm allowed to say that)

There was an angle of her face I was trying to capture but she was a bit self concious of the camera so never quite got it right. It was only later I got this shot when she was not looking so did not have much choice of background and angles.

I wanted to fuzz the background to concentrate on the face but as I only have an old version of ACDSee so did not have many options so settled for the swirl. Guess it did'nt quite work.

Here is the original.

post-35075-0-45463300-1390960453_thumb.j

Again thanks for all you comments.

Daffy

Hi

Sorry for the delay getting back, been a little busy.

Thank you all for your posative comments.

They always put a lot make-up on the girls at these occasions. The usual make-up woman could not do it this time so used someone else who to my mind did a great job. My girl looked stunning (as her dad I'm allowed to say that)

There was an angle of her face I was trying to capture but she was a bit self concious of the camera so never quite got it right. It was only later I got this shot when she was not looking so did not have much choice of background and angles.

I wanted to fuzz the background to concentrate on the face but as I only have an old version of ACDSee so did not have many options so settled for the swirl. Guess it did'nt quite work.

Here is the original.

attachicon.gifCrop-01.jpg

Daffy

she is a beautiful girl, but it is an unspectacular photo.

by the way the original is far better than the out of focus mess you first posted. cheers.

Here is the original.

attachicon.gifCrop-01.jpg

Daffy

Would you mind my modifying that photo with my Photoshop mod and re-posting here?

Not at all "Tywais" would be interested to see what can be done smile.png

Maybe give me some inspiration for possible future photos,

Really appreciate the interest

smile.png

Not at all "Tywais" would be interested to see what can be done smile.png

Maybe give me some inspiration for possible future photos,

I used a rather standard technique called selective coloring. This can be done in Photoshop using two different methods, at least only two that I know of. The first is to use the magic wand tool and select the item you wish to keep the color of then invert the selection. Now any changes will take place on everything except your object of interest. In my case, I just converted the background to gray scale, ran the blur tool over it to de-focus it and a little sharpening on the face. One could de-saturate the selected background instead to simply reduce it's intensity as the background is too distracting with the high saturated blues.

The 2nd technique is to duplicate the image on a 2nd layer then convert that 2nd layer to B&W and use the eraser tool to erase the gray section and expose the underlying color that you want to show through. I used the 1st method for the below. It was rushed but gives you an idea of what could be done to remove the distractions.

post-566-0-80300000-1390996317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tywais
Edited to resize the image down some
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your positive constructive comments.

Special thanks to 'Tywais' and "Fimgirl" for taking the time and trouble to "Photoshop" and post the results.

"Fimgirl" I really like your pic I think it captures what I saw but couldn't quite get. If you don't mind I'd like to print it out and hang on the wall with other family photos.

I thought the photo forum would be free from degenerating commenters but seems even here is not safe so maybe best to close the tread before things get too personal.

Again thanks' to all constructive comments.

Daffy

I thought the photo forum would be free from degenerating commenters but seems even here is not safe so maybe best to close the tread before things get too personal.

I keep a pretty tight watch on the Photo forum and generally it is one of the best behaved ones on TV. What happened in this topic is the exception rather than the norm. I stepped out for dinner and when I came back was surprised at the turn it took but was dealt with promptly by Mario. Don't let a rare incident discourage you from posting here.

If you really want it closed just PM me. It's an interesting and educational challenge to see what enhancements can be done by members and will be watched for any other 'issues'.

You are allowed dinner breaks w00t.gif

Appreciate moderators keeping an eye on things.

As you say "It's an interesting and educational challenge to see what enhancements can be done by members" I certainly find it interesting and am learning new things so as long as there is interest maybe let it run and see how it goes.

Thanks

wai.gif

Daffy D,

I noticed the questionable comments that were posted by some TV members however I am pleased to note that they are not individuals that regularly follow or post to this thread. I am confident that if you were to peruse the postings over the past several months you would find that the posters who made the off-color comments were not our regulars and that this thread contains almost no derogatory postings. That is not to say that non-regular viewers are not attracted to this thread and we hope that many will be but for the right reasons. Since the posting topic can often attract the attention of the readers I would recommend to all photo forum readers that they word their topics so as not to attract unwanted commenters. Topics such as 'My Girl' can act to attract unwanted comments. I truly believe that if the topic had been "Portrait" it would have gotten the attention of the photo members but not attracted those who troll for 'girlie' topics.

Just my two cents.

Nicely said. thumbsup.gif

"Fimgirl" I really like your pic I think it captures what I saw but couldn't quite get. If you don't mind I'd like to print it out and hang on the wall with other family photos.

Daffy

Of course - no problems.

Daffy D,

I noticed the questionable comments that were posted by some TV members however I am pleased to note that they are not individuals that regularly follow or post to this thread. I am confident that if you were to peruse the postings over the past several months you would find that the posters who made the off-color comments were not our regulars and that this thread contains almost no derogatory postings. That is not to say that non-regular viewers are not attracted to this thread and we hope that many will be but for the right reasons. Since the posting topic can often attract the attention of the readers I would recommend to all photo forum readers that they word their topics so as not to attract unwanted commenters. Topics such as 'My Girl' can act to attract unwanted comments. I truly believe that if the topic had been "Portrait" it would have gotten the attention of the photo members but not attracted those who troll for 'girlie' topics.

Just my two cents.

Nicely said. thumbsup.gif

Yes wot he said thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif