Immigration office in CR open

Fiddlesticks

While you are at it, why not pitch a few tents and make of night of it in the parking lot.whistling.gif

The immigration staff were late returning from lunch and there were several people waiting other than me by then. They seem to have a phone app linking them to Mae Sai and they were able to check the status of my visa by scrolling through names on the screen. In the end it took less than 30mins to get my visa and a reentry stamp.smile.png

They are not setup for making photocopies yet but if you are willing to pay 5 baht per page they will do it for you on their office machine. The official helping me was very apologetic about the copy situation but it is still early days so they will figure something out eventually. For now it doesn’t look like there is enough business to make it worthwhile for an outside vendor.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

When there today arriving about 12.35 and were at Lunch as expected

However at 13.00 hrs nobody returned and it was nearly 13.15 when a lady casually strolled accross and unlocked the door

2 or 3 members of staff sauntered in about 5 minutes later

Handed in my passport which she dualy processed and looking at it later was expecting to see a date of 30th April which is

the date of my annual renewal. However was suprised to see a date of 24th May

Do thet really know what they are doing

A very laid back approach springs to mind

Just bumping this as my wife found a foreign gentleman clutching papers in Central today looking for immigration. She told him as best she could that it had moved to and where but was notsure how well he understood even though he could speak some thai.

Probably still a few getting caught.

When there today arriving about 12.35 and were at Lunch as expected

However at 13.00 hrs nobody returned and it was nearly 13.15 when a lady casually strolled accross and unlocked the door

2 or 3 members of staff sauntered in about 5 minutes later

Handed in my passport which she dualy processed and looking at it later was expecting to see a date of 30th April which is

the date of my annual renewal. However was suprised to see a date of 24th May

Do thet really know what they are doing

A very laid back approach springs to mind

Sounds like 90 days from the report to me. Remember reports and visas do not occur on the same dates necescarily. Maybe it is you who do not know what you are doing and they do after all.

Quite a few have given their informations and comment already, so this might be an overkill.

The Chiang Rai Immigration office is situated at the LH side of the Chiang Rai Provincial Administration Building (Organisation).

This massive building is located near the park where the annual flower festival is held, at the north side of the most eastern bridge (road nr. 5023) over the river (Mae) Kok.

The site can be entered from the main road as well as from the small road leading to the other offices for transportation and labour and so on.
Co-ordinates; 19.930443, 99.864585, helpful if you can punch these in your GPS. Only shows a construction site on Google Maps/Earth; not up to date yet.

Mind you , I’m quite sure that this office can be used by residents of the province of Chiang Rai only!

I was there on the 3rd of March for my 90 day extension. It took only about 5mins. or less to get the extension. I did not even have to fill out a form nor were copies of my passport required.

They have a copying machine in the office, however i'm not sure if that is available for customers, but as said I did not need copies for my 90 day report.
The extremely friendly female officer just needed the passport and I only had to give my home address (verbally).
Excellent service and a lot friendlier than what I have experienced in the past crossing borders in the US, Canada and many other places.

Actually I was 2 days late (overdue), because I went to the 1st if the month service in Central Plaza which is now closed. To my surprise I was not charged any fees for overstaying. (may be this does not apply for 90days extensions of retirement visa?)

Quite a few have given their informations and comment already, so this might be an overkill.

The Chiang Rai Immigration office is situated at the LH side of the Chiang Rai Provincial Administration Building (Organisation).

This massive building is located near the park where the annual flower festival is held, at the north side of the most eastern bridge (road nr. 5023) over the river (Mae) Kok.

The site can be entered from the main road as well as from the small road leading to the other offices for transportation and labour and so on.

Co-ordinates; 19.930443, 99.864585, helpful if you can punch these in your GPS. Only shows a construction site on Google Maps/Earth; not up to date yet.

Mind you , I’m quite sure that this office can be used by residents of the province of Chiang Rai only!

I was there on the 3rd of March for my 90 day extension. It took only about 5mins. or less to get the extension. I did not even have to fill out a form nor were copies of my passport required.

They have a copying machine in the office, however i'm not sure if that is available for customers, but as said I did not need copies for my 90 day report.

The extremely friendly female officer just needed the passport and I only had to give my home address (verbally).

Excellent service and a lot friendlier than what I have experienced in the past crossing borders in the US, Canada and many other places.

Actually I was 2 days late (overdue), because I went to the 1st if the month service in Central Plaza which is now closed. To my surprise I was not charged any fees for overstaying. (may be this does not apply for 90days extensions of retirement visa?)

Chiang Rai Immigration is Division 5 of the country. I am not sure what the area is but I know it covers Phayao and Lampang. I completed my 90 day report last week and only submitted my passport. They did not ask for my address. I had a talk with the staff and there are only 3 officers in the office. I asked other questions and all 3 were very friendly and helpful. Their main office is still in Mae Sai. This office was set up to make it easier for the people who live further south.

I needed to go to immigration today to carry out a procedure that i was unfamiliar with, being in the throes of changing the type of visa I have had for years.

I got north of the town and decided to continue on to MaeSai to take the opportunity to do a bit of shopping etc.

The MaeSai immigration office was practically empty at 10am on a Friday and an officer immediately came over and helped me with my paperwork, and showed me where to get photocopies etc that I had neglected to bring.

Total time in the office would have been less than 10 minutes to a satisfactory conclusion.

And that includes two young lady customers coming and standing either side of me while a third, much to my surprise, took our photo.

But then when you are as hansum as I am you must expect to be a tourist attraction. cool.png

......But then when you are as hansum as I am you must expect to be a tourist attraction. cool.png

Oh well in that case I clearly made the wrong choice this week taking my annual renewal to Chiangrai rather than to MaeSai wink.png

But having said that, it all went very smoothly at Chiangrai. Granted I'm an old hand and took a stack of possibly-needed photocopies with me, most of which turned out to be unnecessary, but there was none of the usual old sending me away to get more photocopies or unexpected new demands that I've got used to expecting in the past. The process was straightforward and efficient, and the lady in charge who sits at the desk behind and scrutinises everything for final approval, actually exchanged a nice smile with me when I first came in. Maybe it's partly because a reduced number of tourists this year are now being serviced by two offices instead of one, but I'd also hazard a guess that they've been on a customer service course 'cos I'm seeing a marked improvement in their attitudes and communication skills. Long may it last!

I did my annual renewal, in Mae Sai, this week. They were not busy and the service was excellent.

They even gave me a customer satisfaction survey. And I gave them high marks.

They are going to remodel and expand the Mae Sai facility, which will take most of this year.

That means they will move to a temporary location. I think they said it would be in the Mae Sai Amphoe. But, I'm not sure.

• 2 months later...

I did my yearly extension and 90 day report today. I submitted all paperwork with photo for the extension. They then took my photo which was downloaded onto their computer. I have never had a photo taken before.

Their new office did not stand up to the earthquake. There are at least 5 cracks that I saw. Two of them go from roof to floor. The cracks are not wide but are noticible.

• 2 months later...

Stopped in at Chiang Rai Immigration today for my 90 day report and was told I can still do my marriage extension there as usual but those on a retirement extension will have to go to Mae Sai from now on. Of course with things in a state of flux, that could change again by the time my visa needs renewal next year.

I was directed to take a number today, which was new. They were on 54 and I drew 62 so thought I had a wait. Interestingly after 55, the immigration officer waved me up to the counter. I showed him my number but he said to come up anyway. I really don’t understand the guys who complain about how they are treated here.

Stopped in at Chiang Rai Immigration today for my 90 day report and was told I can still do my marriage extension there as usual but those on a retirement extension will have to go to Mae Sai from now on. Of course with things in a state of flux, that could change again by the time my visa needs renewal next year.

Disappointing ref not being able to do retirement extension in / near CR town.

1. Is this final decision (at least for the moment)?

2. Was a reason given? (I know a rationale is not necessary for Immigration's decisions)

2. Was a reason given? (I know a rationale is not necessary for Immigration's decisions)

I didn’t ask for an explanation but it could be because marriage extensions are sent to Bangkok for approval and officials here only collect the information. Retirement extensions, on the other hand, are done on the spot, so maybe there is only one guy with the authority to sign off on that visa and he is located in Mae Sai. Pure speculation on my part but something which might make sense.
Things may change again at some point, so I would recommend calling ahead if anyone has a visa renewal coming up anytime soon.

I didn’t ask for an explanation but it could be because marriage extensions are sent to Bangkok for approval and officials here only collect the information. Retirement extensions, on the other hand, are done on the spot, so maybe there is only one guy with the authority to sign off on that visa and he is located in Mae Sai. Pure speculation on my part but something which might make sense.
Things may change again at some point, so I would recommend calling ahead if anyone has a visa renewal coming up anytime soon.

Will cause a bit of a problem for me. Had worked out how to handle it here but Mae Sae is another ball game...oxygen transport wise etc.

Will cause a bit of a problem for me. Had worked out how to handle it here but Mae Sae is another ball game...oxygen transport wise etc.

Hope they can make an exception in your case. There really should be a workaround for someone with health issues.

I'll take it that the office is far quieter than Chiang Mai?

And that I can do a thirty day tourist visa extension there?

I'd rather travel up to CR for a few days and extend there than sit around in that CM hellhole.

You have to do that in your local office so you have to go to Chiang Mai unless you move here.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a sign at Chiang Rai Immigration which basically said the “Big Kahuna” from Mae Sai will be available to sign Retirement extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays in Chiang Rai so you won’t have to drive to Mae Sai. I would still recommend calling ahead as his schedule might be subject to change from time to time.

I saw a sign at Chiang Rai Immigration which basically said the Big Kahuna from Mae Sai will be available to sign Retirement extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays in Chiang Rai so you wont have to drive to Mae Sai. I would still recommend calling ahead as his schedule might be subject to change from time to time.

Same information I got in the letter I received from them.

• 3 months later...

Today, for the first time in 15 years of marriage visas, we were required to produce a Koh Roh 2 form, which basically verifies that you are really married. We were married in Bangkok 15 years ago so were uncertain how we would obtain this form. After a few calls we made our way to the Amphur in Chiang Rai where they managed to find computerized records and print out the required document for 10 baht per copy.

Even though things started off with a fair amount of confusion, in the end it was not all that difficult and only required driving across town, finding the Amphur and returning after lunch to finish the process. We were assured that this form is now absolutely required to extend a visa based on marriage.
(Yes, I am aware it is not technically a marriage visa but it is much easier to call it that.)

Back in denmark the Thai embasy denied me a new retirement visa...needed to leave Thailand in a hurry for surgery and forgot that I had no multi entry permit so my retirement visa was gone.

All my time here they have counted my income before tax but not in denmark so i did not meet the requirements of money.

The good man at imigration office-the older guy who speak a bit english (very nice guy)told me to make a 2x 60 days tourist visa-back home make another 30 days so i have my requiret 90 days to aply for retirement.He told me then I have to go to Bangkok and do that so I dont need to leave Thailand as i first thought.

The day after my return I got post from the pension office in denmark which told me that I actually have enough money-also after tax to meet the requirements...great!

So a happy man I am once again after great service from our Chiang Rai office.

I think they do a really good job there and always so helpfull.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday was a quiet day at CR Immigration. Dropped in a little before noon to pickup my yearly extension and do my 90 day report. We handed the nice officer my passport and asked if we had time to visit the restroom. He said sure, and by the time we got back, everything was done and we left after a brief chat. Seems whenever I am there it is almost always that easy.smile.png

What document copies did they need for the extension? presuming a marriage based ext., other than bank info

They needed exactly what we gave them the first time around with the addition of the Koh Roh 2 form which they had never asked for before. They provide a form with all the requirements at their office but I am not sure where my wife put our copy. You need two copies of everything since one set is kept here and the other is sent to Bangkok.

Archived