Jerk Chicken with Peas and Rice...Where to get Jamaican food...

rjcampbe

Hi all,

I moved here from the states a few years back. I used to have a place near me in the states where couple from Jamaica made Jerk Chicken/Fish/Pork, curry chicken/goat, fried Plantains, these crazy spicy Jamaican pepper shrimp, Chile lime grilled corn on the cob, mango salsa, and all kinds of goodies...

I can't find food like that ANYWHERE here.

I googled "Jamaican restaurant Thailand" and I got Thai restaurants in Jamaica!

Anybody know anyplace?

Anybody else jonesing for this kind of food or am I all alone on this one?

Hi all,

I moved here from the states a few years back. I used to have a place near me in the states where couple from Jamaica made Jerk Chicken/Fish/Pork, curry chicken/goat, fried Plantains, these crazy spicy Jamaican pepper shrimp, Chile lime grilled corn on the cob, mango salsa, and all kinds of goodies...

Anybody know anyplace?

In order for a place to function either there has to be a sizeable community of that ethnicity or Thais have to like it

Not many Jamaicans here and I can't see Thais wanting to eat food black people make

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi all,

Anybody know anyplace?

In order for a place to function either there has to be a sizeable community of that ethnicity or Thais have to like it

Not many Jamaicans here and I can't see Thais wanting to eat food black people make

Yeah... I totally understand wanting a sizeable ethnic community to support a restaurant. (However, I have to say that in my opinion, the last part of your comment is unnecessary and inappropriate.)

I guess I'm wondering if there isn't a big enough US / British presence that is familiar with the food and the music and the "Caribbean vibe" to go in for this kind of food if it was available. (plus all the other nationalities from the Caribbean through central America)

And I do think that the spicy food would appeal to Thai tastes if they tried it.

There is a beach place on Samui that does jerk chicken and ribs. It's decent, but not totally authentic. But its become a landmark of sorts... albeit with tourists... not locals...

Why not a place in Bangkok?

I love Italian food, but I'm tired of eating it!

Bangkok Anantara Trader Vics is described as " Barbecue, Caribbean, Polynesian, Pacific Rim", they do have Jerk Chicken apparently, not that I've been. But if you've eaten it in Jamaica then I think it best to live off memories.

Thanks Upnotover,

I've been to Trader Vic's before, but not the one in Bangkok... It's high priced chain restaurant... Might as well be Applebee's. It's a cookie cutter place decorated with jungle masks and tiki torches that they drop into high end hotels to extract cash from travelers who want the illusion of eating something exotic without having to leave the safety of the resort.

But that is just my opinion... whistling.gif

Do you like Caribbean / Jamaican food? if it was available in BKK, would you give it a try?

Bangkok Anantara Trader Vics is described as " Barbecue, Caribbean, Polynesian, Pacific Rim", they do have Jerk Chicken apparently, not that I've been. But if you've eaten it in Jamaica then I think it best to live off memories.

Thanks Upnotover,

I've been to Trader Vic's before, but not the one in Bangkok... It's high priced chain restaurant... Might as well be Applebee's. It's a cookie cutter place decorated with jungle masks and tiki torches that they drop into high end hotels to extract cash from travelers who want the illusion of eating something exotic without having to leave the safety of the resort.

Do you like Caribbean / Jamaican food? if it was available in BKK, would you give it a try?

Spent my first honeymoon in Jamaica 25 years ago, admittedly in a Sandals resort but we were allowed out sometimes. Food was great everywhere, always wanted to go back, never managed it.. yet. Cam back with a suitcase full of this as well, best I ever tasted, ain't nothing close in Thailand for flavour...

post-64390-0-48801200-1390817536_thumb.j

Thanks Upnotover,

Spent my first honeymoon in Jamaica 25 years ago, admittedly in a Sandals resort but we were allowed out sometimes. Food was great everywhere, always wanted to go back, never managed it.. yet. Cam back with a suitcase full of this as well, best I ever tasted, ain't nothing close in Thailand for flavour...

attachicon.gifscotch.JPG

I DJ'd reggae music for many yearsintheclub.gif and managed reggae bands and promoted concerts. I also produced a documentary film on reggae music a number of years ago... I love the food, I love the music, and I love the people in small groups (and sometimes small doses). But Jamaica itself... not a fan!

It's too rough for me.

There are not many places where I won't try to get outside the resort and meet the real people... but Jamaica was one of them.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Anybody know anyplace?

Yeah... I totally understand wanting a sizeable ethnic community to support a restaurant. (However, I have to say that in my opinion, the last part of your comment is unnecessary and inappropriate.)

I guess I'm wondering if there isn't a big enough US / British presence that is familiar with the food and the music and the "Caribbean vibe" to go in for this kind of food if it was available. (plus all the other nationalities from the Caribbean through central America)

And I do think that the spicy food would appeal to Thai tastes if they tried it.

There is a beach place on Samui that does jerk chicken and ribs. It's decent, but not totally authentic. But its become a landmark of sorts... albeit with tourists... not locals...

Inappropriatte that so many think that way, sad too

Necessary to mention cause its true

There was just a threead on why many Thais wont eat Indian food, most wont eat what they would consider African either

Hi all,

Anybody know anyplace?

"And I do think that the spicy food would appeal to Thai tastes if they tried it."

I thought that too, but my cousin gave my wife some spicy yellow pepper sauce from St Lucia and she wasn't into it. It's a different kind of "hot", i guess.

Hi all,

Anybody know anyplace?

"And I do think that the spicy food would appeal to Thai tastes if they tried it."

I thought that too, but my cousin gave my wife some spicy yellow pepper sauce from St Lucia and she wasn't into it. It's a different kind of "hot", i guess.

You could be right with the different kind of hot, i took my Thai GF for an Indian and as she and most Thais like it hot i asked for her's to be a Vindaloo. When she tried it she said it was bland and why it was not spicy. I tied a bit and it blew my mouth out lol.

• Like 1

Yes! I love Caribbean/Jamaican food as well as and especially Colombian food since I lived there for so many years. Jerk recipes are aplenty and the meats could probably be cooked at home easily enough. The problem is finding the vegetables and condiments that are not available here in Thailand. I've searched for "platanos" (plantains or cooking bananas) all over the place as well as looked for yucca (tapioca root) in the markets and they are just not available (or I have yet to find where). Ironically enough Thailand produces yucca in quantities for making tapioca by-products (flour, etc.) but I cannot find the root for sale - although taro root is available. I would definitely patronize a Caribbean restaurant and hopefully it could sell some food goods as well. Let us know if it ever happens. Best.

I use to choke my chicken before I Jerked it. Some say it was better than what they had in Jamaica.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nice one slipperylobster! I should have expected a comment like that from this bunch!

Walked into that one with my eyes wide open, but a good laugh this morning!

Yes! I love Caribbean/Jamaican food as well as and especially Colombian food since I lived there for so many years. Jerk recipes are aplenty and the meats could probably be cooked at home easily enough. The problem is finding the vegetables and condiments that are not available here in Thailand. I've searched for "platanos" (plantains or cooking bananas) all over the place as well as looked for yucca (tapioca root) in the markets and they are just not available (or I have yet to find where). Ironically enough Thailand produces yucca in quantities for making tapioca by-products (flour, etc.) but I cannot find the root for sale - although taro root is available. I would definitely patronize a Caribbean restaurant and hopefully it could sell some food goods as well. Let us know if it ever happens. Best.

I have also looked for plantains and didn't find them in markets... either western markets or thai markets. However, I did find a source for them as they are grown upcountry... mostly for export and for banana chips. They can be shipped to BKK or wherever pretty cheaply. They are not available in the winter months... If you want the source PM me and I'll send it.

I have seen habaneros intermittently at Villa and similar markets... some chili enthusiasts here on TVF told me that they don't tolerate wet very well, so they are seasonal in the dry season...

Not into yucca, so never looked.

Most ingredients seem to be available... except of course the pimento wood... have to use regular charcoal... :-(

See my post above.

I asked this question when we were planning our move here. As a Jamaican living here, it would be good if I had a restaurant preparing Jamaican food. I had a discussion with someone recently about opening a Jamaican restaurant here. However, the products we need to make 'Proper' Jamaican foods are not found here. I imported ackees and saltfish when we moved here.

I think if you have the right Jamaican people operating a restaurant, Thais would eat it. smile.png

Edited by Nads1

I asked this question when we were planning our move here. As a Jamaican living here, it would be good if I had a restaurant preparing Jamaican food. I had a discussion with someone recently about opening a Jamaican restaurant here. However, the products we need to make 'Proper' Jamaican foods are not found here. I imported ackees and saltfish when we moved her.

I think if you have the right Jamaican people operating a restaurant, Thais would eat it. smile.png

There are Thai elites that are more adventurous with food, but most aren't. Many Thais seems to like what passes for Mexican here. By many, maybe one percent of the population, if that. A good folksy basic Jamaican food joint could definitely work in expat/tourist areas.

I agree Jingthing,

The average Thai person is not very adventurous about food, but I think a good part of the reason for this is price... For what the average single meal costs in a "farang" restaurant, a normal Thai person could feed their whole family for a day. (lets face it, in many cases, what we pay for an entrée is a whole days wages to them....)

If you are expecting to get any Thai clientele in a foreign food restaurant, they will be at least the middle or upper middle class and more probably higher than that.

I use to choke my chicken before I Jerked it. Some say it was better than what they had in Jamaica.

good one!

might be delayed or take a while but maybe some others will click "like" on these intellectual forums

Edited by atyclb