'Reckless' driver slams into cyclists, kills one: Kanchanaburi

webfact

Why do some cyclists insist on riding out in the traffic lane, instead of the bike lane ?

For one thing, you are going 10 times slower than the traffic and cause traffic to slow to a near stop without reason....and you do not have any insurance to cover accidents, nor pay registration to cover 3rd party.

I havent seen bike lanes in Thailand.. i am sure there are some.. but not many.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be crazy to want to ride a bicycle on the roads in Thailand.

why, due to one isolated incident?

you enjoy the sofa and make sure you wear a helmet navigating the stairs.

Ill enjoy the 100k i ride a week thank you.

Likewise. Road cycling is a growing sport in Thailand. Most towns have cycling groups that go out in the evening. Udon Thani has a strong cycling club as does Nong Khai. I cycle about 200k a week and it is a great way to see the countryside with fitness and getting faster being the main aim. Most roads in this area have a two meter hard-shoulder which keeps one away from cars to some extent. These idiots most likely drove into that area.

100K a week, when do you sleep??

I ride 100k in 3 hours 20 minutes as would any fit club rider.

• Like 1

Why do some cyclists insist on riding out in the traffic lane, instead of the bike lane ?

For one thing, you are going 10 times slower than the traffic and cause traffic to slow to a near stop without reason....and you do not have any insurance to cover accidents, nor pay registration to cover 3rd party.

I havent seen bike lanes in Thailand.. i am sure there are some.. but not many.

I also have never seen bike-lanes in thailand. And if they exist i m sure the motorbikes will also use them like they use the pavement as well in BKK.

Every night i see groups of bikers on the highways in BKK, the last one has a light on the bike, the others not all of them. I really think they are crazy but i think that about many people on the roads here.

Also in our moobaan they like to bike in full outfit, even with the helmet and they only bike around the lake or on the walking=tracks.

It is time Thailand grows up and learns how to respect other people on other vehicles or walking tracks.

Young boys racing cars or motorbikes is also pretty common, if i was a policeman in BKK i would be rich in one week, they can write fines nonstop for people not obeying rules or respecting eachother on the roads.

• Like 1

More ThaiVisa Cowboy total BS.

A cyclist has been killed and three others severely injured by a driver who reportedly raced with other cars on the highway in Kanchanaburi province

Always see, without fail, some complete muppet driving like a lunatic through heavy traffic on even the shortest journey here. Just what is wrong with some of these a-holes!

Edited by jackr

A cyclist has been killed and three others severely injured by a driver who reportedly raced with other cars on the highway in Kanchanaburi province

Always see, without fail, some complete muppet driving like a lunatic through heavy traffic on even the shortest journey here. Just what is wrong with some of these a-holes!

They drive like crazy, takeover in corners or on the opposit lane and then after 100 metre they are at their destination. But as long as there are no police-officers patrolling for such drivers it will never stop.

But what can you expect for a driverslicense from 500 baht? In my country i paid like 500 times more to get my drivers licenses for car and motorbike

Well, you should know, you are up to your neck in it.

• Like 1

Almost as crazy as those who want to ride motorcycles.

Personally, I refuse to get on a motorcycle or behind the wheel of a car in Thailand.

So how do you get around in that case? Bus? Van? Taxi? With a Thai driver, right? Driving yourself is no guarantee nothing will happen, but I estimate that when I drive myself instead of letting a Thai drive me, I cut down the accident risk by about 50%.

Back to topic, very tragic accident, RIP. But a lot of people cycle here without too much problems. Many roads have wide shoulders that are good for riding. I ride around 5,000 km a year in Thailand. If Thai drivers would take some notice of that white paint on the road, that would really be nice - it's there for a reason. But most drivers are aware and polite. Any (near) mishaps here are usually caused by stupidity rather than aggression, like in some Western countries. Thai driving standards are in serious need of an upgrade though, there's a reason they are 3rd worst for road accidents here.

• Like 2

Nothing crazy about wanting to do it.

Just crazy to do it.

Another uninformed comment.

So it's true! ohmy.png Riding a bike ruins your sense of humour. laugh.png

I meet every week pedalists on their way in Sukhumvit. I'm always surprised. They are high so as they can, very expensive bikes and equipments. Many ages from young to old, women and men. But what are they think? What kind of air are they breath? In my car the outside air is closed from I received the car in salon. I have no idea. This is a new high so fashion, but a bit dangerous. And what are they enjoy? May be when they are finished and get home.

Tis a wonder this does not happen more often where I live...many bike events around here and training groups from town out here every day.

I always ride on the opposite side of the road so I can see what is coming, hopefully the extra couple of seconds might get me out of the way.

You mean you always ride on the wrong side of the road against the flow of the traffic. Excellent idea.

• Like 1

I meet every week pedalists on their way in Sukhumvit. I'm always surprised. They are high so as they can, very expensive bikes and equipments. Many ages from young to old, women and men. But what are they think? What kind of air are they breath? In my car the outside air is closed from I received the car in salon. I have no idea. This is a new high so fashion, but a bit dangerous. And what are they enjoy? May be when they are finished and get home.

Like a bicycle chain you appear to be well-oiled.

• Like 1

this pretty much sums up what awaits you in the "bike" lane

Tis a wonder this does not happen more often where I live...many bike events around here and training groups from town out here every day.

I always ride on the opposite side of the road so I can see what is coming, hopefully the extra couple of seconds might get me out of the way.

You mean you always ride on the wrong side of the road against the flow of the traffic. Excellent idea.

incredibly stupid idea indeed.

cowboy BS? what is cowbody about commuting, getting exercise and putting one less car on the road in Bangkok? I am certainly not the only one.

in a past life i was a bicycle messenger and raced mountain bikes and rode motocross. I also wake board and want to learn how to kite surf.

not sure how or why you would want to take issue with that, but feel free.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

What a great idea. We should all do it.

Wow a personal attack, how original.

Clearly you don't even live here to begin to understand the madness. whistling.gif

Umm, due to the 3rd highest road deaths per capita in the world. 100k/week? You have been winning the lottery

• Like 1

Another coward running away from the scene, seems there are a lot of cowards. I hope the police catch the worthless chickens**i and sling his ass in jail for what he did. We can all only hope.

What? It was the car drivers that were crazy stupid. So i guess the solution is to ban cars from the roads, make them drive 'somewhere else' since it seems that most bicycle/scooter deaths are caused by collisions with cars and trucks.

qdinthailand

• Like 1