'Reckless' driver slams into cyclists, kills one: Kanchanaburi

webfact

You have to be crazy to want to ride a bicycle on the roads in Thailand.

why, due to one isolated incident?

you enjoy the sofa and make sure you wear a helmet navigating the stairs.

Ill enjoy the 100k i ride a week thank you.

Wow a personal attack, how original.

Clearly you don't even live here to begin to understand the madness. whistling.gif

Sayonarax , what is most crazy, to move here and try to have a life with freedom equal to where we came from or to move here and your freedom is restricted to a congested life to reach a shopping centre, cheap restaurant or bar. Unless (sorry for them) people come from the latter scenario of life, that's no life for thousands of foreigners and millions of Thai people in Thailand.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope they catch the bastard soon.

RIP Khun Phonsak.

What is this with Thailand? They either fall from balconies or killed by reckless drivers who run away or children get hurt from drunken drivers.

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING TO STOP THIS.

Ok ok ........"Smitty !.......drop the bom coffee1.gif

A triathlon with over 1,000 competitors, and the road was open to traffic in both directions? Still, I am sure that the event organisers had effective traffic control systems in place.....NOT!

There is no mention in the news report what happened to the second pick-up involved. Did that driver also do a runner, and do the police intend to investigate him/her for his/her part in this incident?.....NO!

Traffic control systems in place or not, would not matter.

People here do not care about any road regulations...

Park where thay want, drive where thay want, stop where they want, U-Turn where they want, and drive at the speed they want.

One day I saw a police telling a bus driver not to access a given road, because there had been an accident, and live high tension wires were on the ground. Did not even obey the police. Getting where he wanted to go was more important.

But he got stuck at the accident scene, could not go ahead, and could not come back. The police just said....'I told him''

• Like 1

My lady wanted to buy a new bike (for her nearby market run) and suggested I drop her off at the shop and she would ride it back, some 12 km including Sukhumvit! I wouldn't entertain the idea as I thought that extremely dangerous. As it was, the bike would not have made it, it had been assembled by some goof-ball and would have fallen into 13 pieces 100 yards from the shop!

Edited by jacko45k

"Initial post-mortem investigation revealed Mr. Phonsak suffered broken neck, arms and legs. His body was also nearly torn apart by the impact of the car crash."

Not nice at all. Was there a need to mention his injuries in such detail? RIP sir.

Relevance.

The extent of injuries demonstrates the high speed impact.

The details convey the horror of the event supporting the assertion that the driver was "reckless".

• Like 1

100K a week, when do you sleep??

i do every day nongprue sattahip and back about 50km take 3 hours including a break 1 hour

i sleep when others drink

Why do some cyclists insist on riding out in the traffic lane, instead of the bike lane ?

For one thing, you are going 10 times slower than the traffic and cause traffic to slow to a near stop without reason....and you do not have any insurance to cover accidents, nor pay registration to cover 3rd party.

ok the road belongs to the cars onley you mean

Nothing could be sadder than this article and I hope the family don't get to read the description of the body and what happened to it.

I'm a keen cyclist and ridden across a dozen different countries. I miss my sport and hobby, however nothing excites me about riding much here. I'd prefer to remain alive. I like to think I am a pretty good rider with lots of experience, but none of that protects me from the alcohol, drug and sleep deprived or just plain crazy drivers. I'm needed for my kids.

Full respect to others doing it and long may you spin those cranks safely.

• Like 1

I enjoy cycling too. However, this is the fifth fatal accident of this kind I've read about in the 7 years I've been here.

I only ever heard about two such accidents in the UK in almost 40 years.

So he's every right to have this opinion.

• Like 1

"Initial post-mortem investigation revealed Mr. Phonsak suffered broken neck, arms and legs. His body was also nearly torn apart by the impact of the car crash."

Not nice at all. Was there a need to mention his injuries in such detail? RIP sir.

Relevance.

The extent of injuries demonstrates the high speed impact.

The details convey the horror of the event supporting the assertion that the driver was "reckless".

Agree with what you say but the public doesn't need to know all the nitty gritty bits.

Wow a personal attack, how original.

Clearly you don't even live here to begin to understand the madness. whistling.gif

what gave you that idea? ive lived in thailand since 1996.

next assumption?

Edited by HooHaa

I enjoy cycling too. However, this is the fifth fatal accident of this kind I've read about in the 7 years I've been here.

personally, those odds look pretty good to me.

As for the safety of cyclists in the UK, there are certainly more car cyclist deaths than 2 in the last 6 months let alone the last 40 years.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=car+kills+cyclist&oq=car+kills+cyclist&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.8252j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=car+kills+cyclist+UK

everything has its inherent risks. you either accept the risks, get out there and do something or you stay home and wish you could.

I know which one i pick.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

Tis a wonder this does not happen more often where I live...many bike events around here and training groups from town out here every day.

I always ride on the opposite side of the road so I can see what is coming, hopefully the extra couple of seconds might get me out of the way.

Hi my friend. About riding in the opposite side of the road.....I had the same idea years ago..but...I forgot that the car driver will be in the right side of the car, and looking in that way when crossing the freeway...The driver cannot see me, cross my path and...I crashed. I was lucky. I fell before my bike got under the car, I had a helmet, and I landed on ground and not on the pavement ....I hope you think about this next time you ride..Take care.

• Like 1

Tis a wonder this does not happen more often where I live...many bike events around here and training groups from town out here every day.

I always ride on the opposite side of the road so I can see what is coming, hopefully the extra couple of seconds might get me out of the way.

Good advice. I used to ride here regularly before I reached my "Best before "date and was surprised to see joggers running with the traffic flow, at dusk and wearing dark clothing, on roads without pavements (sidewalks). Accidents waiting to happen. My cycling friend was waiting to turn right at a T junction and was hit by a pickup coming from the left to turn right. The driver said that he didn't see him?? 'Hit and missed' (rhyming slang') maybe? TIT. R.I.P.

• Like 1

You ride on the wrong side of the road! That is totally wrong, are you Thai?

• Like 2

UK, 2012 118 killed

"The truck driver was not present at the scene, police said!"

Any posters here surprised??coffee1.gif

A cowardly act beyond our ability to comprehend. Until Thailand enacts hit and run laws, and imposes HUGE penalties on these gutless pigs who flee the scene, after taking someones life, and devastating a family, nothing will change. It is time for the parliament, and the judiciary to take charge, and start imposing fines in the neighborhood of a million baht or more, payable by the family, while the murderer is in prison. Only when families start to lose their homes, and their cars, will they take notice. This insect may have been more hesitant to flee, if he knew his family would pay a huge price for his cowardice. Also, the defamation laws need to be abolished, so that the family name of these insects can be soiled permanently.

• Like 2

Nothing crazy about wanting to do it.

Just crazy to do it.

Let's face it, we all take our chances on a daily basis - sometimes without even realizing the present danger.

But based on the original logic "crazy" would also apply to 'crossing the road in Thailand', 'driving a car in Thailand', 'taking the bus in Thailand', etc.

And plenty other countries as well, of course.

• Like 1

It's called reporting the facts!