'Reckless' driver slams into cyclists, kills one: Kanchanaburi

webfact

You have to be crazy to want to ride a bicycle on the roads in Thailand.

why, due to one isolated incident?

you enjoy the sofa and make sure you wear a helmet navigating the stairs.

Ill enjoy the 100k i ride a week thank you.

100K a week, when do you sleep??

You're not a cyclist, are you? Anybody who's reasonably fit and has a decent road bike can do 100 km in less than five hours. Average of 20 kph is not super-fast.

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some cyclists insist on riding out in the traffic lane, instead of the bike lane ?

For one thing, you are going 10 times slower than the traffic and cause traffic to slow to a near stop without reason....and you do not have any insurance to cover accidents, nor pay registration to cover 3rd party.

I havent seen bike lanes in Thailand.. i am sure there are some.. but not many.

Motorbike lanes....good enough for a motocy...but not ?

Tis a wonder this does not happen more often where I live...many bike events around here and training groups from town out here every day.

I always ride on the opposite side of the road so I can see what is coming, hopefully the extra couple of seconds might get me out of the way.

Glad to hear you feel safer driving the wrong way of the road, the bikes driving on this side will be happy having to swerve around you into traffic.:blink:

tell me genius, how does me being on either side of the road cause a bike to swerve more into traffic passing me than if he was passing me in same direction....do l suddenly get twice as wide ?

It seems a common occurence for a driver causing a serious accident to flee the scene here. Read about many over the years. I assume it is because drink driving checks never made routinely. Unlike many countries,

Never seen a police car on patrol ever ... no one is observing how a car is driven. No one cares.

So the plan I guess is ... drink ... I wont be stopped, no police cars ever seen, If accident ... dont be caught drunk, run off.

Not saying this was the case here, but you cant smash into a group of cyclists sober ..... surely.

Just this morning there was an article in the Bangkok Post about how the protests in Bangkok had opened up the streets to bicyclist and how much easier it was to get around on a bike than on a motorcycle or car. This accident happened outside the city but only goes to show that riding a bike anywhere in Thailand is taking your life in your hands. Over the past year or so there have been several articles about people on bikes getting hurt or killed by the crazy drivers in this country who have no conception of sharing the road with others.

Once traffic gets back to "normal" in BKK it would be an act of foolishness to ride a bike in the city. Perhaps more than foolishness it might be a death wish.

When I came to LOS I bought a truck instead of a car in case of ''wipe out'' by a loon, perhaps a better chance of survival, a push bike in LOS..w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

look, you have chosen to lead a sedentary lifestyle, good for you.

now let those of us who still leave the house get on with it.

You mean you always ride on the wrong side of the road against the flow of the traffic. Excellent idea.

Yes, l prefer to put my survival in my hands, not the thai drivers l could not see behind me.

ok the road belongs to the cars onley you mean

not only cars, bikes to if they registered and insured. But why do cyclists, not all, some, demand to hog the car lane when all things considered and they have a perfectly good motorbike lane in which they belong.

Hi my friend. About riding in the opposite side of the road.....I had the same idea years ago..but...I forgot that the car driver will be in the right side of the car, and looking in that way when crossing the freeway...The driver cannot see me, cross my path and...I crashed. I was lucky. I fell before my bike got under the car, I had a helmet, and I landed on ground and not on the pavement ....I hope you think about this next time you ride..Take care.

l always consider this, tis why l look out at these rosds and slow down or stop if cannot see whats coming

So sad for this guy and his family. I got hit by a taxi driver 2 days after buying my bike but I won't stop riding. I guess we just have to face the fact that absolutely nothing will change because no one here gives a 'F' about anything.

After getting hit by the taxi I was taken care of by some emergency workers that were nearby due to the protests. They were awesome! (so some care) but during the time of my bandaging there were so many cars and motorbikes flying through red lights, people going in the wrong direction, etc. There is no enforcement of laws except for the occasional checkpoint (the laziest possible way to do anything).

This sucks! RIP

Just this morning there was an article in the Bangkok Post about how the protests in Bangkok had opened up the streets to bicyclist and how much easier it was to get around on a bike than on a motorcycle or car. This accident happened outside the city but only goes to show that riding a bike anywhere in Thailand is taking your life in your hands. Over the past year or so there have been several articles about people on bikes getting hurt or killed by the crazy drivers in this country who have no conception of sharing the road with others.

Once traffic gets back to "normal" in BKK it would be an act of foolishness to ride a bike in the city. Perhaps more than foolishness it might be a death wish.

to the contrary i find motorists in bangkok are very attuned to motorcycles, and by extension cyclists. Part of my daily routine is soi 11 to ekkami and back and thus far, i have had very few problems, with drivers even yielding to me as they wait to turn on to sukhumvit from the many sois along the route.

I am truly amazed at the number of people here who have never ridden a bicycle in the city yet have strong opinions on the matter.

but then you know what they say about opinions.

100K a week, when do you sleep??

You're not a cyclist, are you? Anybody who's reasonably fit and has a decent road bike can do 100 km in less than five hours. Average of 20 kph is not super-fast.

Typical speed is 22kph for a good bicycle. I was once clocked at 72 km/h(45mph overtaking a car downhill. Lance Armstrong is faster than that and his record average speed for the Tour de France is 45mph 41.654 km/h (25.882 mph). However, Usain Bolt runs at a maximum speed of 43.902km/h.

Hope they catch the bastard soon.

RIP Khun Phonsak.

What is this with Thailand? They either fall from balconies or killed by reckless drivers who run away or children get hurt from drunken drivers.

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING TO STOP THIS.

All appeals to the Govt to stop this carnage on the Thai roads seem to fall on deaf ears. sad.png More pro active policing and tougher penalties is one way to start.thumbsup.gif

Hope they catch the bastard soon.

RIP Khun Phonsak.

What is this with Thailand? They either fall from balconies or killed by reckless drivers who run away or children get hurt from drunken drivers.

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING TO STOP THIS.

All appeals to the Govt to stop this carnage on the Thai roads seem to fall on deaf ears. sad.png More pro active policing and tougher penalties is one way to start.thumbsup.gif

To stop this madness driving is as easy as get Thais to stop eat sum tam sad.png

Individual anecdotal (and lucky) experience versus statistics - anecdotes irrelevant to science. The philosopher of Science Karl Popper on the flaws of inductionism : all turkeys report life is very good for 364 days of the year, then whammo, Xmas massacre of turkeys. You cannot induce from your individual experience anything about the overall wisdom of riding a bike in Thailand - only stats can help with that. Your 20 'likes' also need some science of philosophy.

• Like 1

From Loles

I meet every week pedalists (Why not say cyclists, and so you actually meet and talk to them or do you mean you see them from the safety of your salon and make uneducated judgements of whom and what they are) on their way in Sukhumvit.

I'm always surprised. (Why are you surprised Cycling has been around possibly longer then cars?)

They are high so as they can, (How do you know they are Hi So and what is your measurement process ?)

very expensive bikes and equipments. ( Once again how do you know?)

Many ages from young to old, women and men. But what are they think? (Why do you not ask them, or have you aksed them already?)

What kind of air are they breath? In my car the outside air is closed from I received the car (Air)in salon. I have no idea.

(Its the same ambient air as you breath in your"Salon"

This is a new high so fashion, but a bit dangerous. And what are they enjoy? May be when they are finished and get home.

Maybe they have the satisfaction of feeling good about themselves for actually getting off their <deleted> and doing something good for their minds and bodies instead of sitting at a PC making ill founded and silly statements whilst courting heart disease and all the rest of the ailments that come with leading a sedentary lifestyle but then again I am making silly assumptions here, the same as you in your post)

Sounds like there is a mild sensation of jealousy and small mindedness about your post.

Makes me wonder if a Troll is working way

Individual anecdotal (and lucky) experience versus statistics - anecdotes irrelevant to science. The philosopher of Science Karl Popper on the flaws of inductionism : all turkeys report life is very good for 364 days of the year, then whammo, Xmas massacre of turkeys. You cannot induce from your individual experience anything about the overall wisdom of riding a bike in Thailand - only stats can help with that. Your 20 'likes' also need some science of philosophy.

i have not made any inductions regarding the relative safety of riding in thailand. I simply stated i do an average of 100k per week.

you on the other hand have said nothing.

So i leave you to karl popper and your stats. the weather is beautiful im heading out for a ride, perhaps check out a few protests sites and do a few laps around the park before having a swim. what are you doing today?

-- BTW there is absolutely no need to answer that last question, i could not care less.

• Like 1

I meet every week pedalists on their way in Sukhumvit. I'm always surprised. They are high so as they can, very expensive bikes and equipments. Many ages from young to old, women and men. But what are they think? What kind of air are they breath? In my car the outside air is closed from I received the car in salon. I have no idea. This is a new high so fashion, but a bit dangerous. And what are they enjoy? May be when they are finished and get home.

Buddy, if you know how to properly drive 'your car', using caution and mirrors and all, staying within the white/yellow lines that are painted on the road for a reason, cycling in Thailand would not be dangerous at all! Unfortunately, quite a few of the Thai drivers transform from a humble 'sabai krup, kap khun krap' to maniac tendencies as soon as they take place behind the steering wheel of a car.

• Like 1

The main thing I brought to Thailand was my road bike in a travel case. I've had countless near misses with traffic, dogs, bad roads etc but won't hang up my cycling shoes until I can't climb on a bike anymore. Very sad and tragic for friends and family of the victims. Good luck to anyone that makes a journey in Thailand (we all need it, no matter what we travel in or on). And please, naysayers, trolls and other low life, I hope you enjoy yourselves when we read about the next poor soul that dies or gets injured here....it could happen to you too.

• Like 1

Are you a complete tool? this was well after the event, read the article again. He was in a group probably making their way home I'd say.

A triathlon with over 1,000 competitors, and the road was open to traffic in both directions? Still, I am sure that the event organisers had effective traffic control systems in place.....NOT!

There is no mention in the news report what happened to the second pick-up involved. Did that driver also do a runner, and do the police intend to investigate him/her for his/her part in this incident?.....NO!

Leaving the scene of an accident, particularly a fatal one, is a crime in itself in most other (civilized) countries. Here! It gives you 50% of your conviction!?! This country has one totally f#cked up law system!

Amazing Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i have not made any inductions regarding the relative safety of riding in thailand. I simply stated i do an average of 100k per week.

you on the other hand have said nothing.

So i leave you to karl popper and your stats. the weather is beautiful im heading out for a ride, perhaps check out a few protests sites and do a few laps around the park before having a swim. what are you doing today?

-- BTW there is absolutely no need to answer that last question, i could not care less.

I meet every week pedalists on their way in Sukhumvit. I'm always surprised. They are high so as they can, very expensive bikes and equipments. Many ages from young to old, women and men. But what are they think? What kind of air are they breath? In my car the outside air is closed from I received the car in salon. I have no idea. This is a new high so fashion, but a bit dangerous. And what are they enjoy? May be when they are finished and get home.

Buddy, if you know how to properly drive 'your car', using caution and mirrors and all, staying within the white/yellow lines that are painted on the road for a reason, cycling in Thailand would not be dangerous at all! Unfortunately, quite a few of the Thai drivers transform from a humble 'sabai krup, kap khun krap' to maniac tendencies as soon as they take place behind the steering wheel of a car.

In the past I would ride 5,000 - 8,000 kilometers per year on Thailand's roads. But I just had too many close calls and now this is similar to how I ride in Thailand:

1927.jpg

Of course it's not nearly as interesting as being out on the road, but the workout is just a tough and it's definitely safer.

Hated rollers and turbo trainer...boring. Love being able to ride in the fresh air everyday in Surin/Buriram. Try to stay of the main roads , but dogs then become the biggest problem.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by watso63

I am a cyclist, but I am quite surprised at the amount of fellow cyclists that insist on riding in the flow of traffic going 50 or 60 kph. If we want respect we need to earn it by not impeding the flow of traffic.

Hooray for logic...finally.

Still am amused by the quote above somewhere wondering why bikes have to duck out further into traffic cos I am going the wrong way....must be thai....logically thinking..cheesy.gif

The cyclist was clearly unlucky. One incident does not make cycling dangerous. By that rationale motorbikes and trains are too, since there have been more deaths with them of late. The roads upcountry are have less traffic and are prone to faster drivers, so you need to be more careful that's all. the victim in this case was in the wrong place at the wrong time, that can happen to anyone whether they are on a bike or in a car.

in fact the Bkk P..st had an article today about how the protests have made cycling safer - th streets are almost empty,

RIP to the murdered cyclist, and hope the rest recover - they find the guy charge him and his company pays the hospital bills and replaces the damaged Bicycle's.

This man should never be issued a license to drive again, maybe, after about twenty years in Prison for Vehicular Man slaughter .

thumbsup.gif

to the contrary i find motorists in bangkok are very attuned to motorcycles, and by extension cyclists. Part of my daily routine is soi 11 to ekkami and back and thus far, i have had very few problems, with drivers even yielding to me as they wait to turn on to sukhumvit from the many sois along the route.

I am truly amazed at the number of people here who have never ridden a bicycle in the city yet have strong opinions on the matter.

but then you know what they say about opinions.

Congratulations for your death defying activities. Hope we don't read about you being the next bicycle traffic victim in BKK.