'Reckless' driver slams into cyclists, kills one: Kanchanaburi

webfact

You have to be crazy to want to ride a bicycle on the roads in Thailand.

I've been riding a bicycle for more than 20 years in Thailand. No more dangerous than anywhere else. In fact less dangerous, in my opinion, than the UK. Last year 14000 miles here. 2000+ miles so far this month.

No problems. You get these types of incidents all over the world. It doesn't mean you have to stop the healthy sport or past time of cycling. Sorry to disabuse the poster but his was a real nonsense reaction!

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding a bicycle for more than 20 years in Thailand. No more dangerous than anywhere else. In fact less dangerous, in my opinion, than the UK. Last year 14000 miles here. 2000+ miles so far this month.

No problems. You get these types of incidents all over the world. It doesn't mean you have to stop the healthy sport or past time of cycling. Sorry to disabuse the poster but his was a real nonsense reaction!

Exactly....just like standing at a bus stop and getting mowed down by a mercedes benz...it happens anywhere.....won't stop people standing at bus stops...might make them look out for retards in mercs but.

• Like 1

I suppose if you are only going to the toilet you use your motorbike .

Riding a bicycle anywhere in the world is a risky business .

I will still `be crazy` & do my 20 k`s per day .

Some would say you are crazy not to ride a bicycle in Thailand. I spent over 10 years here before I started riding and had much less appreciation of the city and the country back then. Now I can find my way across Bangkok easily, as I don't have to rely on a taxi driver to make the decisions for me. Some parts of it are completely hidden to those who take more conventional routes in and out of the city. They are nowhere near as bad to ride as people might think. Also, my bike has paid for itself twice over and thus saves me money, and gives me much more freedom. I have only had one close call so far but it was avoided easily. I don't feel in danger but there is always an element of risk when you are on the road, and on a bike you have less protection against freak incidents like the one in the original post.

• Like 2

Tis a wonder this does not happen more often where I live...many bike events around here and training groups from town out here every day.

I always ride on the opposite side of the road so I can see what is coming, hopefully the extra couple of seconds might get me out of the way.

What a great idea. We should all do it.

Why not ??

Every one else does and seems to get away with it.

I see it all time where I am.

Having gone against the traffic a few times, one realises that the oncoming drivers, cars and bikes, are well aware of you and make the necessary distance to prevent collision.

I doubt that driving against the flow causes many accidents, most accidents are probably loss of control, vehicles going in the same direction and intersections, at a guess.

Edited by philw

'The police vowed to locate and apprehend the suspect as soon as possible'

Laughable! They stood back while one of their own was murdered ( recently in Bangkok ) with complete indifference by one of the richest spoilt brats in Thailand.

If these brats in kanchanaburi are connected the deceased will be lucky to get a decent funeral

Edited by makkam
  • Like 1

I am very upset and sad to read what happened to these cyclist as I am also an avid biker who rides between 30 to 40km daily in Thailand. I have had almost no problems with drivers even when riding in Bangkok near chutuchak park but now I live out in the country side near Siam Country Club which is a great area to cycle around and again most motorist take care when passing me... As some have mentioned already it is best to stay away from hi speed roads and motorways... Currently based on my observation Thais are becoming cycling enthusiast as I see more and more on the road everyday but they have a lot to learn about safe cycling as I often see them cycling down the motorway when there are less dangerous routes available albiet not as direct as the motorway... The reason there are so many reckless drivers and accidents on major roadways is simple, there are no hi way patrol vehicles nor police in cars except for the odd ones you see every once in a while... Nothing to worry about as a high speed reckless driver as the chances of getting pulled over is almost zero percent hence no deterrent... My sympathies go out to the family of these people. Hopefully this will bring attention to the reckless driving problem Thailand has so that at lest a few slow down but until they get more patrol cars this problem will be an issue...

Why do some cyclists insist on riding out in the traffic lane, instead of the bike lane ?

For one thing, you are going 10 times slower than the traffic and cause traffic to slow to a near stop without reason....and you do not have any insurance to cover accidents, nor pay registration to cover 3rd party.

What bike lane? This is Thailand, I don't think I have ever seen a bike lane here. They may exist and maybe I just haven't noticed one. I am sure if they had bike lanes they would be as safe as the pedestrian crossings are!

Why do some cyclists insist on riding out in the traffic lane, instead of the bike lane ?

For one thing, you are going 10 times slower than the traffic and cause traffic to slow to a near stop without reason....and you do not have any insurance to cover accidents, nor pay registration to cover 3rd party.

I havent seen bike lanes in Thailand.. i am sure there are some.. but not many.

I haven't seen any motorcycle lanes either. There are none, but we watch out for them anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Why can't they be more like us Americans, only 1,400,000 people arrested each year for DUI in the States, with all the education, with all the policing, with the harsh penalties, we still manage to mangle each other in RTA's whilst under the influence. surely these Thais could learn something from us perfect humans, couldn't they ?

• Like 2

Not all people are couch potatoes.

Cycling is a low impact exercise suitable for all ages.

I for one go out on the bicycle most mornings.

Both highway and byway no problems.

Maybe the occasional dog.

Crazy is jumping out of a perfectly serviceable plane,which I have also tried.

Live your life don't be scared of your shadow.

• Like 1

The truck was probably registered in the driver's name. Or it was in a friend's name. Whatever, they will probably nail the bastard in the next few days and hopefully we will hear about it. RIP the poor cyclist fatality.

In Thailand, it is not unusual to flee the scene at an accident and give yourself up the next day (showing remorse).

That cuts your (eventual) punishment by 50%.

The police are not even going to come up out of their chair to look for the driver of the truck as they know that he will turn up freely at the Police station tomorrow or in the next few days.

Fleeing the scene in an accident can save also yourself from being lynched.

A!

And give you time to wash the drugs out of your system

TIT

Sorry to hear about the cyclist killed doing something he probably loved doing, RIP.

As far as road accidents in general in Thailand are concerned, after just driving 1,200 km from Chiang Mai to Surin and around Surin province, I am surprised there are not a lot more fatalities.

• Like 1

why, due to one isolated incident?

you enjoy the sofa and make sure you wear a helmet navigating the stairs.

Ill enjoy the 100k i ride a week thank you.

one isloated incident? where you been, this type of accident happens everyday in the kingdom. with both M/C's and bikes, learn Thai, watch thai news and look at the news papers. not cnn and bbc.

• Like 1

Nothing crazy about wanting to do it.

Just crazy to do it.

Been biking here every day for more than 10 years, 30-40 km/daily!!

Never had an accident!!thumbsup.gif

On the other hand, it has often surprised me to see Thai bikers doing their exercise-rounds on main highways!

Great, I assume u are in great shape. Stay alive and enjoy the ride. Life is a gamble. To be dead is not the problem, being half dead it what scares me.

• Like 2

Isolated incident my foot! You've got either blinker or rose coloured spectacles on!!

I for one am sick of reading how cyclists and mopeders are daily taken out by these idiots!!

• Like 1

one isloated incident? where you been, this type of accident happens everyday in the kingdom. with both M/C's and bikes, learn Thai, watch thai news and look at the news papers. not cnn and bbc.

first of all, we are not talking about motorcyclists. they are a different issue altogether. There are higher speeds involved, alcohol on the riders part could be a factor as well as riding at night. There are many possible variables that differentiate motorcyclists from cyclists.

Now, if you can show me an article about a cyclist being struck down other than the one mentioned in the OP i will happily read it -- after i get back from my ride.

As i stated earlier, there are many on this board who have never swung their leg over a bike in the kingdom with firm opinions on the dangers of cycling here.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

What bike lane? This is Thailand, I don't think I have ever seen a bike lane here. They may exist and maybe I just haven't noticed one. I am sure if they had bike lanes they would be as safe as the pedestrian crossings are!

Bike lane in Thailand

cycle05.jpg

Looks extremely safe...

• Like 1

Chaps, he clearly means the motorbike lane, or hard shoulder. Tell me you've noticed them, right? While not entirely safe either, you can get right up against the grass, though as Showbags says, many cyclists here stay out beyond that thick white line into the main traffic flow.

Anyway, those castigating cyclists for cycling on Thai roads, stick to what you do best, eh, propping up the bar or whining on here for hours on end day in, day out. mellow.png

• Like 2

<snip>

Now, if you can show me an article about a cyclist being struck down other than the one mentioned in the OP i will happily read it -- after i get back from my ride.

<snip>

So please happily read the following... dry.png

Two U.K. Cyclists Killed in Thailand

Two British cyclists who were traveling around Thailand by bicycle and documenting it in their blog were killed by a young driver...

http://cyclistsinternational.com/two-u-k-cyclists-killed-in-thailand/

Horrific death for cyclist

Body parts of an unidentified cyclist run over by many vehicles were found scattered on Thursday along a 200-metre stretch of the same highway in Chachoengsao...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/341722/304-road-claims-another-victim

Happy cycling. smile.png

Edited by JetsetBkk

I use bicycle a lot as excercise in the early evenings. But I stick to the smaller roads here in Jomtien. Its not really dangerous as long as you're aware of the traffic around you. But on the main roads I would never do that.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1