Are the protests in Bankok impacting how long international mail takes to arrive?

buddhaland

I am expecting an extremely important letter from Washington D.C. which was posted there on January 18. My experience so far is 14 or 15 days for mail to arrive here in Ao Nang - is there any reason to think the events in Bankok are having any effect on how long mail takes to move through Bankok and arrive at its ultimate destination - or might increase the chances of mail disappearing? I know there may be no solid answer to this query - but I hope someone has some solid insight into this matter. Many thanks!

I sent packages to the USA and New Zealand just before Christmas (but too late for Christmas Delivery), of the 7-8 of them no one has received one yet. We were getting worried that they'd been nicked or lost. Good to hear its not just us.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. In the case of some of them, it might be helpful to know where in Thailand you live. It is hard to justify all the information on post office closures, refusals to accept international mail, etc. with the posters who are getting mail in five days during this same time period, or who say that their mail service has not been affected at all. I'm not quite to the freak-out stage yet, but will be soon, as the mail I am expecting from U.S. Social Security, if it comes very late - or worse yet, doesn't come at all, will mean I won't have money in February for food, rent, gas, - in short - I will be destitute. Hard to stay relaxed and positive. Still, I appreciate all the feedback.

I sent a normal non-EMS unregistered letter to a bank in the Isle of Man, GB, around 10 days ago. it arrived yesterday at the bank. I am happy with that.

Letters to offshore islands of GB normally take a day or two to be sorted after they arrive at London or wherever.

Eddy

I sent packages to the USA and New Zealand just before Christmas (but too late for Christmas Delivery), of the 7-8 of them no one has received one yet. We were getting worried that they'd been nicked or lost. Good to hear its not just us.

Just wondering how they were sent?

Did you send them registered or speedpost?

I wonder how ecommerce businesses based here deal with postal issues when they might be sending hundreds or even thousands of packages a day.....

Mailed Life Certificate from Amnat Charoen to The Netherlands at December 6.

Got a reminder from The Netherlands asking me to mail Life Certificate.

Reminder is dated January 14 and was delivered about Jan.21.

(All ordinary airmail)

Edited by Khunangkaro

I received a parcel by post on 27 Jan2014 from the US that was mailed on 24 Dec 2013. I do this regularly and it usually takes about 10 days. I attributed the delay to the protests as our postman/post office were of no help when asked after two weeks.

I saw someone mention "speed post". what does this entail?

And has anyone compared the use of registered/insured vs regular untracked posting?

I lived in Chiang Mai for one year (just moved to Hang Dong 2 weeks ago), and while I received maybe a dozen packages, and 2 letters (regular mail) from the USA early on, I've now had 2 letters (with checks enclosed) that have still not arrived. One 2 months old, one a little over a month old. The second one mentioned was sent with USPS tracking, but that shows it delivered to New York, and that's where it ends (goes overseas from there I assume).

If I end up having either, or both of these checks mailed again, I'll have it done via Fedex, or something with full (expensive) tracking. I thought about the protests, too, but I wonder now, really, if it's just ineptness and/or larceny.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Buddhaland, I had a big box parcel sent to me from Hawaii via USPS InternationalPriority Mail. It was date stamped coming into Thailand on the 13 November 2013. I cannot tell you where it had been in the interim, but it got to me on Phuket, Thalang, on the morning of the 27th January 2014. I did not have to pay any taxes or customs duty on it. Yes I think the protests definately have a bearing on delaying the post. My medical supplies that get couriered down from Bangkok are now taking a third day, where for the last 5 years it was always overnight. I now only use courier services, but traffic problems are slowing everything down in Bangkok. Hope your letter arrives?thumbsup.gif