World Bank Pledges $2bn for Myanmar Energy, Healthcare

SeaVisionBurma

From AFP via TTR Weekly

inside-no-8-Jim-Yong-Kim.jpg

World Bank President Jim Yong Kim

YANGON, 27 January 2014:The World Bank announced on Sunday a US$2 billion development programme for Myanmar, including projects to improve access to energy and healthcare in the impoverished former military-ruled nation.

Bank president, Jim Yong Kim, on his first visit to the former pariah state, said half of the funds would be used to expand power supplies, in a country where more than 70% of the population does not have access to reliable electricity.

“We are increasing our support for the huge reform effort underway in Myanmar because we want to help the government bring benefits to poor people even more quickly,” Kim said in a statement.

“Expanding access to electricity in a country like Myanmar can help transform a society — children will be able to study at night, shops will stay open, and health clinics will have lights and energy to power life-saving technology. Electricity helps brings an end to poverty,” he said.

Read the full article here: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2014/01/bank-pledge-aid-to-myanmar/

• 3 weeks later...

and the other half ??

What about Water & Wastewater Treatment Plants which are at least as important as Power, if not more urgent.

Who is in charge of such basic utitities in Myanmar ... Ministries, Municipalities or State Enterprises (i.e. MWA and PWA)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well if they're saying$2bn, then what they really mean is that you can halve that figure and then halve it again.

It should allow at least 10 villages to get power.... maybe 9... probably 8....

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app