BANGKOK 21 July 2019 14:07
Sign in to follow this  
Sojuncoke

Where can I get good Chinese food? How come Chinese food in Thailand is not good as other countries?

... and you have said it in one.

You want a style of cuisine that the Fast Food companies made popular ... facepalm.gif

If you want 'real' Chinese food .. go to China.

... but you probably have never done that ... rolleyes.gif

No the first two dishes ARE NOT fast food cuisine. I guess you never been to a real Chinese restaurant that serves those dishes.

• Like 1

I researched this before, but was mainly looking for dim sum in Bangkok. You would think of all the Chinese ancestry there would be more widespread Chinese cuisine in Thailand.

I gave up after finding such a few amount of choices outside of Chinatown. If you open a restaurant Soju, I'll go eat there. Fortune cookies would be a nice touch :)

I researched this before, but was mainly looking for dim sum in Bangkok. You would think of all the Chinese ancestry there would be more widespread Chinese cuisine in Thailand.

I gave up after finding such a few amount of choices outside of Chinatown. If you open a restaurant Soju, I'll go eat there. Fortune cookies would be a nice touch smile.png

I'll even import some American Sriracha sauce :)

• Like 1

You can get good Chinese food everywhere in Thailand.

It's sometimes tricky to find it in some provinces because you may not recognize it for what it is. Outside of Chinese-tourist areas all the dishes have been renamed and flavoured to the Thai taste. Ask for a menu in Chinese if you have a friend who can read it.

When searching out Chinese food it helps to specify which regional varieties you want. Thailand has Teochew, Hokkien, Hainanese, Cantonese, and Hakka. Chinese food is definitely here.

The noodle dish in the OP is Ranna Mee Leung Gop. The shrimp and lobster dish is also Ranna served with rice. Although in Thailand these dishes will probably taste different from their counterparts in Hong Kong or Guangzhao because they have been adapted to the Thai taste, just like American Chinese food has been adapted to the U.S. taste. That might be why you think Chinese food in Thailand isn't as good as what you were expecting.

In Bangkok get off the rapid transit at Hualompong and wander the sois and main streets at night. There is lot's of really unique Chinese food around there ranging in price from 50 baht to 5000 baht per bowl (shark fin soup). A very short taxi ride away is the neighbouring area of Pahurat (India town) likewise there are many authentic Indian restaurants big and small serving mostly to the Thai Indian community.

Try they following searches in your favourite search engine:

"dim sum" site:nationmultimedia.com

"dim sum" +bangkok site:nationmultimedia.com

Use your imagination and replace site:nationmultimedia.com with other possible sites, It's not allowed to post links to The Bangkok Post, or other forums like Trip Advisor on TV, but you can figure that out for yourself.

Good luck, and happy eating. I love Chinese food too.

ps. If you ever go south of the border you'll find a fantastic world of Chinese food in Malaysia!

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 2

Moved to international food.

• Like 1

Seems like there's no hope but to open one up

Are you in Thailand at the moment ... 4am and a need to start talking about USA style Chinese style food

... man you must be wanting it bad!

kway tiao is a chinese dish. It's sold everywhere. It's a chinese word. It's not in mandarin or cantonese but if you have any common knowledge you will know chinese aren't just cantonese or mandarin speakers and their cuisines.