Where can I get good Chinese food? How come Chinese food in Thailand is not good as other countries?

Sojuncoke

Has the OP actually ever eaten real Chinese food in China? If so, he/she would know that it's a very big country with greatly varying regional cuisines.

The "Chinese food" available in USA and Europe is often not very Chinese, although I know a few great restaurants in San Francisco's Chinatown. Personally I find the Chinese food in BKK's Chinatown excellent.

... and you have said it in one.

You want a style of cuisine that the Fast Food companies made popular ... facepalm.gif

If you want 'real' Chinese food .. go to China.

... but you probably have never done that ... rolleyes.gif

No the first two dishes ARE NOT fast food cuisine. I guess you never been to a real Chinese restaurant that serves those dishes.

Lived in Singapore (Chinese majority) for 14 years and have been to China many times. I've never once seen a 'sauce dish' placed beside fried rice on the same plate except on rare occasions when the food is placed together in a styrofoam container for take-away. In fact, in most places, you will get separate containers for the rice and the 'main' so as not to make the rice soggy. The Chinese are very particular about the texture of their rice...

One thing to note... The most common Chinese food in North America is Cantonese (Hong Kong based) and is quite distinctive. Szechuan, which is much spicier, has become quite popular in recent years also. The largest immigrant group to North America were the Cantonese, which is why North Americans equate Cantonese food with Chinese food. Mainlanders today find this amusing. The Chinese group that immigrated to Singapore in the largest numbers were the Hokkien (from Fujian in China), and their food was much influenced by spicier Malay food. Thailand (Bangkok), however, mostly received Teochews (from a different part of Fujian); their food is somewhat different from Cantonese and Hokkien. I believe they're best known for congees/porridges. My Singaporean friends tend not to be impressed with Teochew food. But perhaps the 'Chinese food' you're not liking so much is Teochew rather than the Cantonese food you're used to.

Also remember that a lot of Chinese foods in the US are 'fake'. When I moved to Singapore many years ago, I was looking forward to getting some 'real' General Tao's Chicken. It was only then that I discovered that it was 'invented' in New York City. smile.png

... and you have said it in one.

You want a style of cuisine that the Fast Food companies made popular ... facepalm.gif

If you want 'real' Chinese food .. go to China.

... but you probably have never done that ... rolleyes.gif

No the first two dishes ARE NOT fast food cuisine. I guess you never been to a real Chinese restaurant that serves those dishes.

Like a REAL chinese restaurant in THAILAND, as judged by YOU, you mean ?

Define a REAL Chinese restaurant first, mr "Expert on Chinese food".

I don't regard Chinese food to be great in other countries as you suggest. I guess it depends where you live that reflects the style and taste, the ingredients used etc. It's the same as why doesn't Thai food taste as good in other countries as it does in Thailand? With regard to your Chinese food, in Thailand you will get the Thai version, just like in America or other western countries you get the Western version. If you want the real food you either have to go to the country of origin or ensure that the ingredients used are the original ingredients from that country.

The best Chinese and Indian food is in the UK.

Agreed - and cheap too. I despair of finding a good Indian restaurant in Pattaya. Never try Neeroy's which bills itself English style Indian curries. They'd get petrol bombed in Manchester or Burnley.

I don't regard Chinese food to be great in other countries as you suggest. I guess it depends where you live that reflects the style and taste, the ingredients used etc. It's the same as why doesn't Thai food taste as good in other countries as it does in Thailand? With regard to your Chinese food, in Thailand you will get the Thai version, just like in America or other western countries you get the Western version. If you want the real food you either have to go to the country of origin or ensure that the ingredients used are the original ingredients from that country.

That's wrong. Real Chinese food is available in some major U.S. cities if that's what you're looking for. There are even huge Asian markets filled with authentic ingredients where you can cook your own. SO MUCH better than Thailand, it isn't even funny.

One thing to note... The most common Chinese food in North America is Cantonese (Hong Kong based) and is quite distinctive. Szechuan, which is much spicier, has become quite popular in recent years also. The largest immigrant group to North America were the Cantonese, which is why North Americans equate Cantonese food with Chinese food. Mainlanders today find this amusing. The Chinese group that immigrated to Singapore in the largest numbers were the Hokkien (from Fujian in China), and their food was much influenced by spicier Malay food. Thailand (Bangkok), however, mostly received Teochews (from a different part of Fujian); their food is somewhat different from Cantonese and Hokkien. I believe they're best known for congees/porridges. My Singaporean friends tend not to be impressed with Teochew food. But perhaps the 'Chinese food' you're not liking so much is Teochew rather than the Cantonese food you're used to.

Also remember that a lot of Chinese foods in the US are 'fake'. When I moved to Singapore many years ago, I was looking forward to getting some 'real' General Tao's Chicken. It was only then that I discovered that it was 'invented' in New York City. smile.png

Teochew ppl don't come from fukkien. They come from guangdong province even though the language is rather similar to fukkinese aka hokkien.

Actually, the food you see in farang Chinese Restaurants is not the same as what is typically served in China. My mom ended up in the emergency room for 2 weeks there. So you see, the Chinese food being sold to tourists in all these other countries is geared towards "Western" taste. Most people would not be able to handle "real" chinese food.

Good points,

The Chinese restaurants in Thailand serving Cantonese Chinese tourists serve authentic Cantonese food and mostly do so at outrageous tourist prices. If one thinks farangs sometimes get overcharged in Thailand see first what the Chinese get charged. Really good reasonably priced authentic tasting Cantonese food is not as easy to find as one would think. In USA, Canada, Austrailia, UK where there is a large Cantonese diaspora it can be much easier to find.

The Chinese diaspora in Thailand largely originates from Guangdong province so we have plenty of their Teochew cuisine here. If anyone would like to browse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teochew_cuisine it is interesting to see how many common and popular Thai dishes are not Thai at all. They are Teochew food.

I would prefer more Cantonese and Hakka dishes, and have resorted to preparing some of them myself. It helps if one knows what the real deal should taste, look, and feel like. It also helps to overcome the typical "Thailand NO have"! frequently stated by shopkeepers when I'm trying to source ingredients like Hoisin sauce. I resorted to making my own Hoisin sauce as well.

Please do have a look at the wiki link above, almost all the dishes listed are very common in Thailand. I was surprised how many.

Agree with the other posters who mention superior Chinese food in Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore,.. even Malaysia. In south Vietnam most of the Chinese speak Cantonese.

Cheers,

The egg oyster omelete is good. We call it or luak.

Kway tiao is good too.

You can get good Chinese food everywhere in Thailand.

It's sometimes tricky to find it in some provinces because you may not recognize it for what it is. Outside of Chinese-tourist areas all the dishes have been renamed and flavoured to the Thai taste. Ask for a menu in Chinese if you have a friend who can read it.

When searching out Chinese food it helps to specify which regional varieties you want. Thailand has Teochew, Hokkien, Hainanese, Cantonese, and Hakka. Chinese food is definitely here.

The noodle dish in the OP is Ranna Mee Leung Gop. The shrimp and lobster dish is also Ranna served with rice. Although in Thailand these dishes will probably taste different from their counterparts in Hong Kong or Guangzhao because they have been adapted to the Thai taste, just like American Chinese food has been adapted to the U.S. taste. That might be why you think Chinese food in Thailand isn't as good as what you were expecting.

In Bangkok get off the rapid transit at Hualompong and wander the sois and main streets at night. There is lot's of really unique Chinese food around there ranging in price from 50 baht to 5000 baht per bowl (shark fin soup). A very short taxi ride away is the neighbouring area of Pahurat (India town) likewise there are many authentic Indian restaurants big and small serving mostly to the Thai Indian community.

Try they following searches in your favourite search engine:

"dim sum" site:nationmultimedia.com

"dim sum" +bangkok site:nationmultimedia.com

Use your imagination and replace site:nationmultimedia.com with other possible sites, It's not allowed to post links to The Bangkok Post, or other forums like Trip Advisor on TV, but you can figure that out for yourself.

Good luck, and happy eating. I love Chinese food too.

ps. If you ever go south of the border you'll find a fantastic world of Chinese food in Malaysia!

You will also find some really good Chinese food south of the border in Mexico. thumbsup.gif

Well while we on the subject,

I once was craving a good Chinky in Patong (tried the one in Paradise Hotel few years back and was not impressed by food nor service and was not that cheap (mains came before rice which came 10 mins after???) asked the GF if she knew any good Chinese restaurants? yes she said... We set out on my quest, she took me to some Sushi bar lol...? Then had a cruise around on my bike with her, looked all over then found one place which advertised as Thai/European/Chinese, Thought that will do, at least they will have something. We sat down she looks at a menu in Thai, I look at a Farang menu, can't see any chinese dishes, I looks through the Thai menu (the usual pics etc) nope, nothing? I calls the Katoy weighter/ss over, you have Chinese food? Yes Sir, can I have menu please, yes sir... he/she comes back with another menu (Great I think, here we go, will order everything I'm starving!) I look at the menu, Its the same Frigging menu but all in Chinese? blink.png

Ha ha ha... love Thailand, but anyone know anywhere in Patong for a good Chinese (and if it matters I come from Manchester UK and we have the odd decent Chinese Gaff) So know will not be exactly same, just something similar I'd be happy smile.png

Teochew ppl don't come from fukkien. They come from guangdong province even though the language is rather similar to fukkinese aka hokkien.

Depends how you look at it. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teochew_people#History. For example, "studies of genetic analysis supported that although all Han Chinese are indeed related and share a common root, the Teochew had closest links with the Minnan area of Fujian province and those from the Taihang Mountain range of north-central China". And "They are known to Cantonese speakers as "Hoklo", literally meaning "men of Fujian"..."

My Teochew gf of 14 years always said that her people's roots were in Fujian. I wasn't going to argue with her about it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Tai <deleted> Ting Ramkamhaeng 14.

Yes.

See the pictures here.

https://foursquare.com/v/%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%87-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97-%E0%B8%9D-ting-tai-<deleted>/4bd7ca45f645c9b6d4bda6e0

It's not for people looking for western style Chinese food.

This same outfit opened a restaurant in Pattaya, originally the same name, now named Shanghai Restaurant so maybe a new owner (on 3rd road fairly close to North Pattaya Road), with many of the EXACT same menu dishes, including their famous hand pulled noodles.

Edited by Jingthing

You know good sources?

Great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubanjiang

PLEASE tell me where to get authentic SECHUAN PROVINCE fermented broad bean chili paste sauce that is vital to making properly flavored Sechuan food and no you can't make your own?

Also fresh Sechuan peppers that were grown in China, not in Thailand, that still actually have some FLAVOR in them?

Yes I think the Chinese food culture in Thailand is pretty crappy.

Most U.S. cities are much better, even than Bangkok, and I'm talking the authentic stuff, not the "Westernized" and of Thai Chinese is just as bastardized as Western Chinese.

You've stumped me there. I'm actually a bit surprised that some enterprising TV member doesn't open an ethnic food on-line shop. Not only Chinese, but Indian, British etc. Foods of the world.

Macro has dried Sechuan chillies by the bagful. As you say the taste is probably all gone, and NOBODY ever buys it.

Lamentably the Thai people are some of the most xenophobic eaters I have ever encountered. The rest of us like to at least try almost anything. Twice.

You might try browsing the Bangkok Post food section. They ran a bit about Sechuan food at a 5 star hotel recently.. For myself, I'll wait until it comes down to earth, or go to Chengdu myself.

That's wrong. Real Chinese food is available in some major U.S. cities if that's what you're looking for. There are even huge Asian markets filled with authentic ingredients where you can cook your own. SO MUCH better than Thailand, it isn't even funny.

Did you read my post correctly? I said if you want real food you either need to go to that country OR ensure that the ingredients used are the original ingredients from that country. The authentic ingredients you talk of in the Asian markets would have been imported from China/HongKong therefore they are the original ingredients from that country like I mentioned. Secondly, I never said chinese food was better in Thailand (please read again). The truth is that the Chinese you have probably eaten in the west is in fact Cantonese as this is what is normally served. If you have ever been to China and eaten real Chinese, it is totally different from that of western countries and doesn't even reflect what we believe to be. Snake, turtle, duck, walking through the kitchens and choosing the animal of choice etc. I know you can get real Chinese foods in other countries like in the china towns of some countries and major cities, so agree with you as long as they are using the original (authentic) ingredients.

The restaurant in The Golden Dragon Hotel (opposite The Mall Ngamwongwan) is superb.

Dimsum menu is for breakfast and lunchtime service only. The selection is limited to about 7 or 8 types if I remember correctly, but I didn't mind because they were all excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I can never understand Posters who ask questions like this - who defines what "real" Chinese food is? "Real" Greek, "real" French??

The OP apparently believes that some old Chinese cook hundreds of years ago wrote down dozens of recipes and decreed that henceforth only food cooked in strict accordance with what he had written was "real" Chinese food.

Food varies throughout the world - even within China - depending on the Chefs ability and the ingredients available to him.

Whether a dish is "real" or not is entirely up to the perception and taste of the eater - simply keep visiting the thousands of restaurants available and settle on one you like - the food there is as much "real" Chinese food as the place you are comparing it to; and the food at the original place was only "real" Chinese food in your perception, the next man through the door may well think differently.

Patrick