'Free my son from Cambodian jail hell' [#UK]

geovalin

THE Torbay dad of a man languishing in a Cambodian jail is campaigning for his release.

The serious fraud squad is seeking the extradition of Gregg Fryett, 45, from Torquay, who has been held in the country's squalid Prey Sar prison — where he first shared a cell with 21 others — for the past 10 months.

Biofuel businessman Gregg is facing charges of forgery and money laundering related to his biofuel investment businesses in the country.

His father, Peter Fryett, who lives in Preston, Paignton, has been campaigning for his release.

He is due to lead a demonstration at the Cambodian embassy in London on Tuesday.

Some investors in Gregg Fryett's operations, who allegedly stand to lose a total potential investment of up to £32million, have also joined the campaign.

Peter Fryett said: "We firmly believe he is being held illegally in Cambodia and I have no doubt of his innocence."

The Serious Fraud Office wants to extradite Gregg Fryett to the UK to answer questions over the activities of Sustainable AgroEnergy Plc and associated companies in connection with selling biofuel investment products involving Jatropha tree plantations in South East Asia.

Four other top executives in Sustainable AgroEnergy plc have been charged in the UK with conspiracy to commit £23million fraud.

They are on bail and due to appear before the courts again in April.

The charges are in connection with the investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into the promotion and selling of biofuel investment products to UK investors.

The father-of-two is a former UKIP member and stood for election for Torbay Council in St Marychurch, Torquay, in 2007.

Peter Fryett, who is a long standing UKIP member, said his son stood as a 'paper candidate'.

He said: "Gregg left the country soon after and his association with the party drifted."

Gregg is the chairman of Sustainable Growth Group whose subsidiaries include Sustainable AgroEnergy Plc. He was arrested in April last year in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh by anti-corruption police. He arrived in the country voluntarily to try to resolve a dispute over the ownership of a 6,000 hectare plantation to grow a miracle crop called Jatropha.

On January 14, the Cambodia daily newspaper reported he was facing fresh charges of money laundering.

The charges mean he could face up to 20 years in prison.

Peter Fryett said: "If I had any hair at the beginning of all this then I certainly haven't now.

"It is hugely worrying for us and his sons are really struggling with what's happening with their father.

"I know when he was first arrested he was in a cell with 21 other people, but I think conditions have improved a bit now.

"As far as I know there are plans by the prison authorities to jam outgoing calls which is going to make communication very difficult, but he has to hang on by the skin of his teeth. He has a sense of humour still and that is encouraging."

In an email to his investors sent to his father, Gregg Fryett writes: "Thank you all for your messages of support, they are all very much appreciated and keep me sane.

"Thank you also for joining the legal actions in Cambodia, this is clearly of significance in the UK and Cambodia."

A spokesman for the Serious Fraud Office said: "We are seeking the extradition of Gregg Fryett from Cambodia."

By Herald Express

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/FREE-SON-JAIL-HELL/story-20521009-detail/story.html