Unitefl Chiang Mai

seedy

CMUTEFL about 5-6 years back shut down all their classes and fired all of the staff who were paid too much. Less than one year later they opened up again. The original director of the CMUTEFL (*Dr.*)Mathew scrambled to restart and they created the Unitefl from the ashes. I am not certain but I do believe that Mathew sold his interest in it and went back to Australia. Their ads first were written much differently than they are now.

All in all it is another start-up and will be as good as the trainer and nothing more which is the same as most small cash cow TEFL courses.

Thank you. The website lists a 120 hour course which - if I read it right - will allow a person to receive a license to teach in LOS.

As I mentioned, not looking for a full time job, just something to do, meet new people, and maybe improve my Thai speaking ability - which is dismal. My ears can not hear the different tones very well, which makes comprehension difficult to say the least.

Another challenge.

A TEFL is not a governmental requirement and it is misleading of TEFL programs to say so. To get a full teachers license you need a degree in education or a teacher's license from you home country.

The only requirement to get a work permit and temporary license for (k-12)is any Bachelors (4year) degree. A TEFL certificate is not a requirement from Thailand. Some schools do ask for you to have one if you don't have experience or other qualifications.

If you have time, shop around. Go to the bigger names in CM and observe a class or at the least meet the trainers to see if you like them and agree with their methods.

Thanks for the above.

I am not too interested in spending 4 years to receive a BA. Just wanted to teach - don't get me wrong - as a sort of hobby, help fill the time and meet people. And improve my Thai too. More a social thing and helping out other people than an employment plan.

Looks like I will have to consider something else.

A TEFL is not a governmental requirement and it is misleading of TEFL programs to say so. To get a full teachers license you need a degree in education or a teacher's license from you home country.

The only requirement to get a work permit and temporary license for (k-12)is any Bachelors (4year) degree. A TEFL certificate is not a requirement from Thailand. Some schools do ask for you to have one if you don't have experience or other qualifications.

If you have time, shop around. Go to the bigger names in CM and observe a class or at the least meet the trainers to see if you like them and agree with their methods.

There are a number of ways to obtain a permanent ('full teachers license') teacher license without possessing a degree in education or a teacher's license from your home country.

There are a number of ways to obtain a permanent ('full teachers license') teacher license without possessing a degree in education or a teacher's license from your home country.

OK, I'll bite................... how?

Bearing in mind the new rules that a BA in Education is required.

Thanks.

Thanks.

"Those who want to have a profession in education shall have to go through the following process in

obtaining a professional license:

1. Those who want to work in the teaching profession must meet any one of the following:

(1) Those with a degree in education or other degrees decided by Gor Kor(the Teachers’

Committee) to fit in the employment and appointment of a teaching post before the

effective date of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2546, are able to

use such qualifications in applying for a professional license up until 11 June B.E. 2549;

(2) Those with a degree in education which includes teaching practices in an institution not

exceeding one year according to the curriculum for the degree in education or the

equivalent degree or other qualifications certified by KHURUSAPHA ;

(3) Those with the qualifications other than the ones in (1) and (2), if they want to enter the

profession must be certified on professional knowledge and experience by KHURUSAPHA

stating that they have knowledge and experience equivalent to that established by standards

through the transfer of knowledge, testing and training in accordance with the criteria

prescribed by KHURUSAPHA , before applying for the license for professional practice."

The Khurusapha website:

http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite

click on 'Entering the Profession'

Edited by Loaded

Detailed info on requirements to teach - http://seetefl.com/tct-teaching-license/

Snapshot of article:

Route 1 to the TCT Teaching License

Persons who have had teaching experience with not less than 1 year and:

• Hold a degree in Education, or
  • Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad, or
  • Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study.

In addition, they also must successfully complete a professional training course and pass assessment of knowledge as follows:

1. Thai language and culture
  2. Professional ethics

When they have passed the assessment according to (1) and (2), they can file an application.

In case of applicants’ teaching experience with less than 1 year, they shall provide a certification letter, issued by an educational institution, and submit it to the TCT for issuing a teaching practice certificate and permitting them to attend the training course.

Thanks.

"Those who want to have a profession in education shall have to go through the following process in

obtaining a professional license:

1. Those who want to work in the teaching profession must meet any one of the following:

(1) Those with a degree in education or other degrees decided by Gor Kor(the Teachers’

Committee) to fit in the employment and appointment of a teaching post before the

effective date of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2546, are able to

use such qualifications in applying for a professional license up until 11 June B.E. 2549;

(2) Those with a degree in education which includes teaching practices in an institution not

exceeding one year according to the curriculum for the degree in education or the

equivalent degree or other qualifications certified by KHURUSAPHA ;

(3) Those with the qualifications other than the ones in (1) and (2), if they want to enter the

profession must be certified on professional knowledge and experience by KHURUSAPHA

stating that they have knowledge and experience equivalent to that established by standards

through the transfer of knowledge, testing and training in accordance with the criteria

prescribed by KHURUSAPHA , before applying for the license for professional practice."

The Khurusapha website:

http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite

click on 'Entering the Profession'

I'm sorry but number 3 is still vague as always. How can I take the tests if there are no dates to take the test. If I get to take the test, apparently the tests are grammatically incorrect and impossible to understand. They also ask questions that you can't prepare for. Please take the time to look at the home page for the Thai Ministry of Education and see the numerous mistakes in grammar and composition. My God, if they can't even get the page for the website in the correct English what hope is there?

Like everything else in this country, it all boils down to money. Make the tests almost impossible to pass so we have to take them over and over again. Look at the entry tests for the Thai universities. You can take as many as you want until you get the desired result........ at a price of course. I am more than willing to do what is asked but for goodness sake, gave us some real clarity as to the EXACT requirements, right down to the last letter. For goodness sake, then state it in correct English.

I don't know exactly what they mean by other qualifications, but there are provisions for people who may have a particular skill, especially for Thai people who may know trades or knowledge that is considered culturally important, but not well known.

or other qualifications certified by KHURUSAPHA.

SO, what are these other qualifications certified by Khurusapha ? where can I see a list?

blink.png

I've given you their website.

Why are you complaining to me about their requirements?

not complaining, mainly just saying. I was referring to the site not you. Apologies if offended.

or other qualifications certified by KHURUSAPHA.

SO, what are these other qualifications certified by Khurusapha ? where can I see a list?

blink.png

I've given you their website.

Why are you complaining to me about their requirements?

not complaining, mainly just saying. I was referring to the site not you. Apologies if offended.

I agree, the TCT/Khurusapha website is ambiguous and lacks important detail.

Edited by Loaded