is gossiping part of the culture herein thailand?

yanyk

I think it's an Asian thing actually......but say what you want but there is "A LOT" less gossip here than in Taiwan where I witnessed this for 14 years!! Before you get a key in the door to your new place there, people are already talking/whispering/asking Q's / leering at you. I moved here in August and the restaurant lady on the opposite side of the lane didn't know where I was from / what I did until about a month ago. She and all the neighbor ladies with the kids sit and play/talk all day and haven't bothered with me at all. Guess I'm lucky from what you say.

i was hoping to read this for long, i think its really an Asian thing, for example. i have a friend in the north, he went for visa runs and had some problems at the bother, he then called his director to borrow about 3000 baht to settle the problem. it was on a Monday morning and the director was conducting the assembly as usual. after he dropped the call, he told the whole school and asked them if he should send the 3000 baht to the teacher.that can only happen in thailand.

Seriously? Your friend couldn't afford the 3000 baht and he phoned his director for help before phoning his friends. If he worked at this school would he not have done the visa run at the weekend as he would probably be working on Monday morning? The director was taking assembly with the whole school and stopped to take a call from your friend then asked the students advice on whether he should lend your friend the 3000 baht?

Have you ever thought about a career in writing? This is a fantastic story. Gossip at its best.clap2.gif

hahaha you really amaze me..lol..which thai embassy works during the weekend? he only knew the director had asked the students opinion when he finally came

back to the school. and to your question , no i haven't considered a career in writting maybe u are a writer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's an Asian thing actually......but say what you want but there is "A LOT" less gossip here than in Taiwan where I witnessed this for 14 years!! Before you get a key in the door to your new place there, people are already talking/whispering/asking Q's / leering at you. I moved here in August and the restaurant lady on the opposite side of the lane didn't know where I was from / what I did until about a month ago. She and all the neighbor ladies with the kids sit and play/talk all day and haven't bothered with me at all. Guess I'm lucky from what you say.

i was hoping to read this for long, i think its really an Asian thing, for example. i have a friend in the north, he went for visa runs and had some problems at the bother, he then called his director to borrow about 3000 baht to settle the problem. it was on a Monday morning and the director was conducting the assembly as usual. after he dropped the call, he told the whole school and asked them if he should send the 3000 baht to the teacher.that can only happen in thailand.

Seriously? Your friend couldn't afford the 3000 baht and he phoned his director for help before phoning his friends. If he worked at this school would he not have done the visa run at the weekend as he would probably be working on Monday morning? The director was taking assembly with the whole school and stopped to take a call from your friend then asked the students advice on whether he should lend your friend the 3000 baht?

Have you ever thought about a career in writing? This is a fantastic story. Gossip at its best.clap2.gif

hahaha you really amaze me..lol..which thai embassy works during the weekend? he only knew the director had asked the students opinion when he finally came

back to the school. and to your question , no i haven't considered a career in writting maybe u are a writer

As previously stated on post 60, everyday is a school day and today I have learned something else. Please accept my apologies for not knowing that Thai embassies are not open at the week end. My mistake. wai.gif

I get that he would know the director told the students when he returned to school as everyone would tell him. I personally find it strange that he would phone his boss to borrow money. Like I say it is just a personal opinion but I would always try a friend first if I was in a fix and my boss would be one of the last people I would think of asking unless he was a close friend also. I also wouldn't be in a foreign country if couldn't get £60/$100 together when I needed it.

This is going a bit off post now so I'll shut up. biggrin.png

Edited by whytey13

As previously stated on post 60, everyday is a school day and today I have learned something else. Please accept my apologies for not knowing that Thai embassies are not open at the week end. My mistake. wai.gif

I get that he would know the director told the students when he returned to school as everyone would tell him. I personally find it strange that he would phone his boss to borrow money. Like I say it is just a personal opinion but I would always try a friend first if I was in a fix and my boss would be one of the last people I would think of asking unless he was a close friend also. I also wouldn't be in a foreign country if couldn't get £60/$100 together when I needed it.

This is going a bit off post now so I'll shut up. biggrin.png

Unfortunately not everyone is as rich as you.

I only made a comment on my experiences, nothing more.

The Purple Heart is ten a penny, 1.7 million have been given out . Nothing impressive about showing one off.

A V.C or the like would impress me. Having met a Holder of a V.C on my little Island they are not the sort of men to brag about their medals. Something to gossip about maybe.

Back to the topic please.

And as an aside.... It is just as unfair for This Forum to publish comments that are unfairly directed towards citizens of one country.

Is this strictly a European Forum...that does not follow its own rules?

That's ok, the USA is bigger than Europe, richer than Europe, freer than Europe, we have had no nazis, no Stalins, no Maos, give me stateside any day to you bunch of juveniles.

And as an aside.... It is just as unfair for This Forum to publish comments that are unfairly directed towards citizens of one country.

Is this strictly a European Forum...that does not follow its own rules?

my boss at school actually told me that gossiping is part of the culture here, they gossip about everything, that is why they so insist that u do the thai course or know some thai culture so that u wont get offended when they gossip about you..(what my boss said) and hey i am African, a proud one at that.in my culture for example its very wrong to talk about things and people u know barely nothing about

Living proof that there's an exception to very rule?

• Like 1

People in every country love to gossip.

The word gossip comes from a time when people would go to a pub or tavern to sip beer and talk about each other it started out as to "go sip".

A more specific answer to the question is, yes, Thais love to gossip.

It seems most Thai conversations are either about food, or gossip.

Fact:

Early politicians required feedback from the public to determine what the people considered important. Since there were no telephones, TV's or radios, the politicians sent their assistants to local taverns, pubs, and bars. They were told to "go sip some ale" and listen to people's conversations and political concerns. Many assistants were dispatched at different times. "You go sip here" and "You go sip there." The two words "go sip" were eventually combined when referring to the local opinion and, thus we have the term "gossip.

I wonder how I can get a job like that? And go sip to!

• Like 1

I only made a comment on my experiences, nothing more.

The Purple Heart is ten a penny, 1.7 million have been given out . Nothing impressive about showing one off.

A V.C or the like would impress me. Having met a Holder of a V.C on my little Island they are not the sort of men to brag about their medals. Something to gossip about maybe.

Back to the topic please.

Well that is impressive as there are only 5 Living Persons today that won the Victoria Cross, of which 3 are British, I Australian, and 1 Indian. So it rare indeed that you ran into one of them. Or did you?

They only awarded 1,357 Victoria Crosses so far. So far less than the Purple Heart, as you say. But the Victoria Cross is the Common Wealth's Highest Honor, where the Purple Heart is not the Americans Highest Honor or Award.

The Highest Honor in America is the "Medal of Honor", or also know as the Congressional Medal of Honor as it is given out by the President of the USA, or his representative from Congress. To date they have only given out 3,468 Medals and far less than the Purple Heart. So here is another thing to gossip about. .

I was going to post something like that. But give the OP a chance... he's still a newbie!

hahaha..thanks..ur such a cool dude..any farang ladies here?? am tired of Thai women and their insatiable sex drive

You been yankin it too much.Insatible because you can't perform,my boy.

no no the gossiping here is extreme

No! No! No! It isn't!

You just give them something to gossip about.

are u kidding me??

Yes I am kidding you.

But I still don' think they gossip more here in Thailand than anywhere else.

I have sat with the boys some times in the past, trading stories, but this is not gossip. It is trading stories. Was married to a Polish Woman once. Polish People Love to Gossip! No offence to Poland as I love that country and people, but far more than Thai's. Or what I could see anyway. So do Canadians for that matter. So do every Nation on Earth.

This probably started with the first man and woman. Or after that with the first 2 women? Okay! Maybe it is the first 3 Women as it takes 2 of them to talk about the other one behind her back. But it has, and will continue forever.

So what, if the person next door knows you are going away for a few days. We told ours so they could keep an eye on our place while we were gone and we did the same for them. If you can't trust the person living next to you then perhaps it is time to move. Everyone is so private these days in a world which that this is no longer possible. Personally I don't care if people talk about me as I have nothing to hide. More Power to them, if I have become the highlight of their conversation.

• Like 1

why do thais like to gossip? in my opinion, they are the most gossiping people i have known..and most at times they gossip about what they know nothing about

90% of the threads started on Thai Visa forums are filled with nothing but baseless gossip by posters whose sole objective is to malign people about whom they know nothing ... this thread seems to have started with the same objective.

And of course Farang Utopia is where it's been taken to a 24/7 hi-tech level with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ...

And yet you comment on most of them.

Most people tend to gossip when they get together socially, including here. Being African doesn't qualify you as a spokesman for all the different countries on the continent. As an African in Thailand, you are in a small minority with a somewhat dubious reputation and likely cause for local gossip. There's not much you can do about it.

does being European or american qualify me then? and does being whatever you are qualify you to say Africans are dubious? are you this sick?

have you finally lost it? who said they where gossiping about a particular race ? who thought the Africans how to be dubious? do you know history at all?

i did not say the gossiped about Africans, i said they gossip.

You're being a bit oversensitive. People (including Thais in Thailand) will gossip about anything or anyone that is 'not from around here'. Foreigners of all origins come under some sort of scrutiny with the locals. It doesn't have to be all negative either. In your case they might be saying you're a very nice fellow and nothing like those drug dealers and fake precious stone salesmen we read about getting arrested and jailed etc. smile.png

they only hear what they want to hear not listening much and they can not stop to speak their mind to anyone around on the moment as a norm under Thai culture gossiping travels far......better to ignore !

I was going to post something like that. But give the OP a chance... he's still a newbie!

hahaha..thanks..ur such a cool dude..any farang ladies here?? am tired of Thai women and their insatiable sex drive

You been yankin it too much.Insatible because you can't perform,my boy.

hahaha, really..as my name suggest..am yankin real good..but i dont just wanna die now

• Like 1

Most people tend to gossip when they get together socially, including here. Being African doesn't qualify you as a spokesman for all the different countries on the continent. As an African in Thailand, you are in a small minority with a somewhat dubious reputation and likely cause for local gossip. There's not much you can do about it.

does being European or american qualify me then? and does being whatever you are qualify you to say Africans are dubious? are you this sick?

have you finally lost it? who said they where gossiping about a particular race ? who thought the Africans how to be dubious? do you know history at all?

You're being a bit oversensitive. People (including Thais in Thailand) will gossip about anything or anyone that is 'not from around here'. Foreigners of all origins come under some sort of scrutiny with the locals. It doesn't have to be all negative either. In your case they might be saying you're a very nice fellow and nothing like those drug dealers and fake precious stone salesmen we read about getting arrested and jailed etc. smile.png

even if they say i am the pope, its still gossip because wouldn't want me to know they are talking about me

even if they say i am the pope, its still gossip because wouldn't want me to know they are talking about me

How do you know 'they' are talking about you? Who told you and what are they saying to make you so upset? Enlighten us.

• Like 1

I just finished talking on the telephone with my Older sister who lives i Italy, she is getting up in age now.

Our conversation always starts the same " You know Steve i dont like to talk about other people" and then spends an houre talking about other people laugh.pnglaugh.png , I love her to death, so I listen, some times I put the phone down go do something, comback five minutes later and she has no idea I was gone, laugh.png

Gossip is a natural human socializing trait. In fact I was just gossiping about my sistertongue.png

It is just that we only notice when others do it, when we do it it is only communicating facts.