Sailing from Thailand to Cambodia

Bazw57

Does anyone know what the requirements or regulations are for entering Cambodia by sail boat for a holiday (Temporary entry not permanent)

I understand you must have all the normal travel visas etc but I am more interested in any particular taxes, fees or regulations related to the boat itself and what prior permission of permits may be involved.

If anyone has any links to good web sites with this information that would be great

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just show up in cambodia. They will take your boat at gunpoint. Maybe you live, maybe you don't. They do not have tollerance for yachties. Check the cruising forums and SE Asia sailing guides.

Thanks,

When I was in Cambodia recently on holiday I could not believe how beautiful some of the coast line was yet there are virtually no foreign boats so I thought thete must be a reason.

I have a friend who was interested in sailing there so a lot more research is required I guess.

i have a good friend that runs sailboat charters out of SHV, goes in and out all the time

contact him Rony ( American with Thai Wife

http://www.sailcambodia.info/

he has NEVER had any trouble having his boat there and has been there going on 5 years

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

i have a good friend that runs sailboat charters out of SHV, goes in and out all the time

contact him Rony ( American with Thai Wife

http://www.sailcambodia.info/

he has NEVER had any trouble having his boat there and has been there going on 5 years

Thanks a lot for the contact

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Boats sail up from Nth Oz every year to Thailand for racing stuff...think they might even have a race from there to here and they sail back....gotta go via Cambo...so not sure where all this devil heeby jeeby talk comes from.

Thanks, anyone know what sailing clubs make the trip from Australia to Thailand or Cambodia?

Boats sail up from Nth Oz every year to Thailand for racing stuff...think they might even have a race from there to here and they sail back....gotta go via Cambo...so not sure where all this devil heeby jeeby talk comes from.

Thanks, anyone know what sailing clubs make the trip from Australia to Thailand or Cambodia?

Send these guys an enquiry...

http://www.dwnsail.com.au/

let us know what they say.

why would u need to go to Thailand via Cambodia?

My mate is sailing to Thailand first as he plans to live there and use that as a base to moor the boat and once he gets that arranged he wants to take a trip to Cambodia for a few weeks

is is boat foreign registered?

than be aware,

Customs officials revealed today that yachts will be required to register every two months instead of six months under tightening rules.

The new arrangement - a flashback to a past era before the six months replaced the two months rule - is likely to be the talk of yachting circles and will anger some sailors.

About 1500 yachts visit Phuket each year, a meeting about public transport at Phuket Provincial Hall in Phuket City was told today.

''For those who come and go from Phuket it will not be such a hardship but it will be difficult for those who put their yachts in for long-term repairs,'' said Phuket Tourist Association Vice president Sarayuth Mallam.

Phuket Customs Director Nanthita Sririkub told Phuketwan later that the new regulation had been announced on December 26.

A formal letter announcing the reduction of the registration period from six months to two months arrived yesterday, she said.

''Next Wednesday we will invite yachtspeople to discuss the issue,'' she said, ''And if it is not popular then it will be changed back eventually.''

Concern about safety and security appeared to have driven the change back to the old timetable, she said, which meant inconvenience for some. The fine for missing the date for reregistering would rise from 500 baht a day to 1000 baht a day, she said.

is is boat foreign registered?

than be aware,

Customs officials revealed today that yachts will be required to register every two months instead of six months under tightening rules.

The new arrangement - a flashback to a past era before the six months replaced the two months rule - is likely to be the talk of yachting circles and will anger some sailors.

About 1500 yachts visit Phuket each year, a meeting about public transport at Phuket Provincial Hall in Phuket City was told today.

''For those who come and go from Phuket it will not be such a hardship but it will be difficult for those who put their yachts in for long-term repairs,'' said Phuket Tourist Association Vice president Sarayuth Mallam.

Phuket Customs Director Nanthita Sririkub told Phuketwan later that the new regulation had been announced on December 26.

A formal letter announcing the reduction of the registration period from six months to two months arrived yesterday, she said.

''Next Wednesday we will invite yachtspeople to discuss the issue,'' she said, ''And if it is not popular then it will be changed back eventually.''

Concern about safety and security appeared to have driven the change back to the old timetable, she said, which meant inconvenience for some. The fine for missing the date for reregistering would rise from 500 baht a day to 1000 baht a day, she said.

Its an Australian registered boat at the moment but my mate will be relocating to Thailand permanently on a retirement visa so I assume he would try to register in Thailand if that is possible.?

He also has a Thai wife that he has been married to for many years and she has also been in Australia for years as well (dual citizenship)

Sounds like he needs to do some more research. ...lots of it

Thanks again for the info :)

If the boat has Aussie rego then you basically have 2 choices

You can pay the 7% VAT, and import the boat. If the boat is staying then this is the best way to go.

The other option is to temporary import it. Maximum stay is 2 months plus a couple of extensions but varies according to the visa of the captain. This is nothing new and has been the law for a long time. You then can do "visa runs" to and from Cambodia but then how long do you want to do that? If the boat is staying, then import it and respect the law. After all, it was 212% and is now only 7% so not worth all the fuss avoiding it.

For rego, you can keep it registered as Aussie but you have to keep the rego current. All the authorities want to know is if it is registered and they don't mind where. The other option is to register it here in Thailand. There are pros and cons for both so it is worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

If the boat has Aussie rego then you basically have 2 choices

You can pay the 7% VAT, and import the boat. If the boat is staying then this is the best way to go.

The other option is to temporary import it. Maximum stay is 2 months plus a couple of extensions but varies according to the visa of the captain. This is nothing new and has been the law for a long time. You then can do "visa runs" to and from Cambodia but then how long do you want to do that? If the boat is staying, then import it and respect the law. After all, it was 212% and is now only 7% so not worth all the fuss avoiding it.

For rego, you can keep it registered as Aussie but you have to keep the rego current. All the authorities want to know is if it is registered and they don't mind where. The other option is to register it here in Thailand. There are pros and cons for both so it is worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

When did this happen and why ?

not like thailand to give up an easy earn.

How do they value the boat ?

Edited by Showbags

Would a boat trip be feasible if doing a runner ?

Sent from Khlong Prem Block 37

I guess that depends on what you are running from?

But the immigration requirements will be the same no matter how you enter the country.

But spending a few months sailing around SE Asia would be a good way to drop off the radar.....so to speak :)

• Like 1

Thought it was on the way innit..

Maybe you need to look at an atlas.

Sorry...Malaysia, Cambodia...same same but different.

Of course I was talking about sailing from Oz to Pattaya.

Edited by Showbags

Here's the Southeast Asia Pilot web pages on Cambodia

http://www.southeastasiapilot.com/cambodia.htm

and the Noonsite on clearing into Sihanoukville - http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Cambodia/sihanoukville

Beautiful coastline, beaches and islands with tons of tourism potential - water not as clear as the Andaman Sea but ok for the South China Sea.

It's opening up slowly for foreign yachts and will surely be on the world cruising map soon - especially with international airport links at SNV.

Great question, 7% VAT based on what price or value?

I would check my last marine survey (required by most insurance companies upon renewal policy) some surveyors do state that value in there.

Otherwise, any able marine surveyor will produce that kind of document for a small fee.

Showbags reveals more and more of his idiocy with each post he makes laugh.png

Send these guys an enquiry...

http://www.dwnsail.com.au/

let us know what they say.

Darwin to Ambon race / rally is a common starting point for many

Showbags reveals more and more of his idiocy with each post he makes laugh.png

Thanks clog