• 3 weeks later...

Pollock

Haas

Fuerte

Booth7

Buccaneer

Peterson

All flowering, some fruit setting.

Oh i see, so many. Which one is the best?

I grow both#7 (i think) i have a grafted plant from unknown variety. I 'm looking for other variety's to graft onto my tree. Actually i want Monroe and Catalina but other nice ones are also good. Do you have any idea where to buy them? I went to pakchong area but they have only seedlings.

Do you live in a cold area? I grow in BKK and guess only the west indian variety's grow/fruit here.

Live in Buriram, miserable weather, always a struggle to keep them happy.

West Indian varieties is the way to go, there is an "Australian Hass" that does OK too.

In Pak Cheong you need to go see the Agricultural Station, not the nurseries; they have a grove with many varieties, both common & oddballs.

If you are good at grafting, you can get scions at a minimal costs or order grafts. (if you want to go, need appointment, let me know I will PM you the contact #, Thai only)

My all time favorite in Thailand is my Pollock.

Large fruit (see pic.), med. seed, intense greenish yellow color inside, nice nutty flavor with with good oil content.

Before you ask , I grew it from a seed, I don't know of any other one in Thailand. (had one grafted on a seedling last year, its about 24" tall now)

Draw backs; very long time to mature (Nov/Dec), not always happy to set fruit especially if it gets into the 100s F ; as it routinely does.

Best regards.

Picture%2520174C.jpg

Edited by soidog2

Live in Buriram, miserable weather, always a struggle to keep them happy.

West Indian varieties is the way to go, there is an "Australian Hass" that does OK too.

In Pak Cheong you need to go see the Agricultural Station, not the nurseries; they have a grove with many varieties, both common & oddballs.

If you are good at grafting, you can get scions at a minimal costs or order grafts. (if you want to go, need appointment, let me know I will PM you the contact #, Thai only)

My all time favorite in Thailand is my Pollock.

Large fruit (see pic.), med. seed, intense greenish yellow color inside, nice nutty flavor with with good oil content.

Before you ask , I grew it from a seed, I don't know of any other one in Thailand. (had one grafted on a seedling last year, its about 24" tall now)

Draw backs; very long time to mature (Nov/Dec), not always happy to set fruit especially if it gets into the 100s F ; as it routinely does.

Best regards.

Picture%2520174C.jpg

That pollock looks great! Yes i emailed that kasetsart agriculture centre one day, no reply. Then my wife emailed them in thai, no reply. Then she called them, we have to go to facebook. We add them on facebook, sold out. This week they had some petch pakchong on facebook, next day sold out.

It is impossible to order from them. I want to order about 6 grafted avocado's but i m sure when they have them finally they are sold out immediatly.

The King gave them the order to spread avocado's over Thailand, well i don't know how to say it but for me i 'm trying a year now without success.

Anyway yes i need west indian cado's, scions would be great but small tree's also, then i will grow some more tree's. The hass sounds also good, i heard they even have a fruiting hass tree at Sukumvitroad but i haven't seen it.

It is 100 fahrenheit here many days in summer. If you can make a grafted tree from your Pollock or other nice one i will swap it with you for something you sure don't have. I have many achacha seedlings, abiu, grumichama, eugenia candolleana, bali salak, broadleaved papaya (australia) , Ross sapote and more.

I don't understand why kasetsart is not selling the avocado's on the kasetsart fair or universitycampus. That would be much easyier and then the Thai would learn how to eat/grow avocado's. Also those nursery's in Pakchong area should sell grafted tree's, it is not hard to graft avocado i heard. I can graft mango, jackfruit, citrus and much more. Just learned from internet.

I examined my avocado today and something is coming, i hope they are flowers but that would be the first time. If you can help me to get scions or tree's i would be very happy.

I have bought a few from the pak chong ag section...will be going again soon to get a few more.

We sold the property we planted them on, so no idea if grew ok or not till now...but one took off like a rocket, but unfortunately it was not the graft that took off, for some reason the main trunk took over and grew 10 times faster than the other ones, and one even died.

Shall try again as love avocados every day...got a couple of seeds I might try, the extra long time does not bother me for now.

I have bought a few from the pak chong ag section...will be going again soon to get a few more.

We sold the property we planted them on, so no idea if grew ok or not till now...but one took off like a rocket, but unfortunately it was not the graft that took off, for some reason the main trunk took over and grew 10 times faster than the other ones, and one even died.

Shall try again as love avocados every day...got a couple of seeds I might try, the extra long time does not bother me for now.

Extra long time can be like 7 or more years.

When a grafted tree makes new branches under the graft you always have to cut them off asap.

Those cannonballs Booth#7 are also nice, i also bought some from a thai vendor and they were terrible hard and dry though. They pick them to early and then customers will never come back.

The Royal project also grows them, booth7 and hass and they are great but only availlable in november december.

• Like 1

Very interesting.How many trees per rai is good.How many do you need to make a living.How can you sell them and how much per kilo.What area is the best to grow them??????

We grew a few from seed in bangsaphan .seem to b growing ok.Keen to learn more sbout these avocado trees.

Anybody have some goss for us on this please.

Cheers cobbler

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by cobbler

Very interesting.How many trees per rai is good.How many do you need to make a living.How can you sell them and how much per kilo.What area is the best to grow them??????

We grew a few from seed in bangsaphan .seem to b growing ok.Keen to learn more sbout these avocado trees.

Anybody have some goss for us on this please.

Cheers cobbler

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Avocado's don't like wet feet, so the area should not be flooded for many days in row.

You should sell them in BKK, japanese restaurants use them a lot and also every supermarket sells them.

But there is so much more fruit that you can easy sell to Thai and what they don't have yet. It is just a matter of who grows it first and he can get the highest price i guess.

http://www.tropical-exotic-seeds-and-plants.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=7493384077b976a1e492942ae9d10b28

I grow many tree's from this website, they get new seeds from the whole world all the time and they are tropical seeds that can grow here.

In BKK go visit the or-tor-kor fruitmarket and see for yourself what is happening there. (next to chatuchak). Rich people buy fruits there for 2-3 times the price of other markets. They sell 1st quality and also rare fruits that are not on other markets yet.

For avocado they cost like 60-80 baht a piece in supermarkets and 70 baht on local markets in BKK. The ones from the royal project sell for 95 a kg but only around december. Different variety's fruit in different periods and i would be happy if i can eat avocado's all year for a decent price.

• Like 1

Local seller has been getting them recently, I have been able to have every day for last couple months...even now still can get them....80b a kilo.

During the season they are 40b a kilo.

When out, have to settle for expensive supermarket ones at 70b each.

Local seller has been getting them recently, I have been able to have every day for last couple months...even now still can get them....80b a kilo.

During the season they are 40b a kilo.

When out, have to settle for expensive supermarket ones at 70b each.

I would eat them every day for 80 baht a kg. In Myanmar they cost much less though is what i heard.

Where in Thailand are you staying? Maybe i have friend living there so they can bring some if they come to BKK.

Supermarket ones are okay but many times they are overripe or underripe and i don't know how to pick the good ones. Last week from Foodland it was very dry and hard, better grow it yourself and also that's much more fun if you see them growing.

What is Stevia by the way? Is it used for cooking or what is it? Never heard of it.

• Like 1

Very nice soidog, I hope i can graft them onto my tree one day. My tree does not have flowers but it does have small buds, i wonder what will come out.

How long do they have to develop now? I read that reed avocado takes 2 or 1.5 years before you can pick it. Also i read that in Borneo the avocado's can be harvest 2 times a year.

Do you still water them? Mine is lurking on the sprinkler so maybe i should turn it off?

I have the 1st achacha sprouted, it has many small black stems. I have waited 5-6 weeks for that, they are very slow.

If the buds are round looking like mini cabbages & trees are grafted 4 years+ they might be flowers.

Yes we water them, this is a time of stress for the trees.

Yes in native habitat they sometime produce biannually.

Best regards

My tree is in it's spot for 1 year now and was grafted a year before that i guess. I don't see cabbages so i think they are new growbuds.

I had a mango graft fruiting 3 months after i grafted it, it gave 2 chocanons on the graft. This year both chocanon grafts didn't fruit though, all other grafts have mango's now.

For anyone experimenting with Stevia, please keep in mind that the seeds can't be stored for months, so after getting put to germination asap.

Also after harvesting the seeds, put them dry and cold (vegetables tray in the fridge) for 2-4 weeks before seeding as in Paraguay the short winter can get quite cold.

I didn't read about storing the seeds frozen, but this may be worth a try to always have some available-

When I was going to Paraguay some years ago I intensely read about interesting local crops like Stevia (Kaa Hee) and I still have the dried leaves for my tea or my Mate (Terere) tea set.

Bye,

Derk

Looks like you sure get avocado's soidog.

Here is my new tree, bought it today and it is 50 cm tall and has flowers. This one is for my mother in law.

I asked the shop many times and finally they got new avocado tree's in BKK. I think it is booth7 but they don't know the variety, why would you need to know that anyway? Avocado is avocado, mai ben rai. clap2.gif

They have 1 left on kanchana phisek road......

post-190589-0-44296300-1394251615_thumb.

You could do your bid for humanity by finding out what hormone/chemical was used to induce your purchase to flower.

Obviously unnatural for such a small tree; I have seen it in other small trees, some with fruit on it; its done to attract buyers.

In nature; mature trees want to flower Feb/March, already too hot here, if I could move it up to Dec. would be perfect.

I did not find anything that works, yet.

PS note the difference between Booth7 & Hass, bellow.

post-14625-0-69707700-1394328664_thumb.jpost-14625-0-93864700-1394328723_thumb.j

I don't know if they used a chemical or just found another way to stress this plant. They had another small tree that didn't flower. The graft union is very thick and the tree made a suckersprout as well.

Well if it really holds a booth7 cannonball it will sure break. Maybe i should cut the flowers of but i like them. Just want to see what happens now.

How long does it take for a booth#7 to develop and get ripe? Now i have 3 tree's of those, 1 is a seedling.

Booth 7

If setting fruit now; by late July you should be eating it !

http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6902e/x6902e0b.htm

I believe you Soidog but this site sais 8-9 months for a booth#7 avocado!

Today i bought a grafted pederson tree and another one which is blooming, they say it is hass or any other small avocado, not the cannonball.

It is very hard to find them in BKK but i was lucky. I will try to graft them on my tree but also need more variety's.

• 4 weeks later...