Stevia & Avocado

March & April were hard on the avocados.

The heat wiped out a lot of fruit; left just enough to eat.

They look great!

So those variety's don't like heat?

I am trying to get hawaiian avocadoplants, i think they love the heat.

Live in Buriram, miserable weather, always a struggle to keep them happy.

West Indian varieties is the way to go, there is an "Australian Hass" that does OK too.

In Pak Cheong you need to go see the Agricultural Station, not the nurseries; they have a grove with many varieties, both common & oddballs.

If you are good at grafting, you can get scions at a minimal costs or order grafts. (if you want to go, need appointment, let me know I will PM you the contact #, Thai only)

My all time favorite in Thailand is my Pollock.

Large fruit (see pic.), med. seed, intense greenish yellow color inside, nice nutty flavor with with good oil content.

Before you ask , I grew it from a seed, I don't know of any other one in Thailand. (had one grafted on a seedling last year, its about 24" tall now)

Draw backs; very long time to mature (Nov/Dec), not always happy to set fruit especially if it gets into the 100s F ; as it routinely does.

Best regards.

Picture%2520174C.jpg

I bought a 2 year old tree last month but it died - too much manure I think in planting.

What do you mean by grafted on a seedling?

Live in Buriram, miserable weather, always a struggle to keep them happy.

West Indian varieties is the way to go, there is an "Australian Hass" that does OK too.

In Pak Cheong you need to go see the Agricultural Station, not the nurseries; they have a grove with many varieties, both common & oddballs.

If you are good at grafting, you can get scions at a minimal costs or order grafts. (if you want to go, need appointment, let me know I will PM you the contact #, Thai only)

My all time favorite in Thailand is my Pollock.

Large fruit (see pic.), med. seed, intense greenish yellow color inside, nice nutty flavor with with good oil content.

Before you ask , I grew it from a seed, I don't know of any other one in Thailand. (had one grafted on a seedling last year, its about 24" tall now)

Draw backs; very long time to mature (Nov/Dec), not always happy to set fruit especially if it gets into the 100s F ; as it routinely does.

Best regards.

Picture%2520174C.jpg

I bought a 2 year old tree last month but it died - too much manure I think in planting.

What do you mean by grafted on a seedling?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, whoever picked those avocados needs to see the General for a serious re-education session.

Two weeks later they turned black and shriveled away, meaning they were picked extremely unripe early.

Needless to say they taste like crap.

I always forget not to buy Thai picked avocados!

Hello All,just through the weekend. downtown Korat by Ya Mo the have some nice avo's

from a farm in PaKchong, no spray. The avo's are Bt.80 a Kg. The wife picked me up

1, and it was 364g.,. they are the smooth shinny green ones, will be ripe in a few.

rice555

I also have bought several kg of unripe avocado's. Even the imported ones from 70 baht a piece are tricky, they can be overripe.

The problem with selling unripe avocado's is that customers won't buy them anymore, even if they are ripe.

I only have seen and eaten the ones from Royal Project and they are great. The big cannonball ones and the small hass cado's. All other cado's grown in Thailand were disappointing and i won't buy then no more.

Well, my avocados still have a way to go; but there are other things to enjoy.

Right now the dates are getting ready; dragon fruit is super yummy and plentiful in the garden. There is also ripe sweet star fruit and some mango

.post-14625-0-91956600-1404218887_thumb.jpost-14625-0-92769300-1404218439_thumb.jpost-14625-0-68231900-1404218332_thumb.j

post-14625-0-87339500-1404218385_thumb.jpost-14625-0-67766700-1404218843_thumb.jpost-14625-0-37661300-1404218701_thumb.jpost-14625-0-91123500-1404218542_thumb.j

Edited by soidog2

Looks great soidog, do you know the variety of that purple dragonfruit? I have never seen a purple one in Thailand, only red and white and i grow both.

Are those small fruits dades from a palm? They look great.

Here is a pic of my last year grafted Iwan mango's. They are just turning red on the pic.

post-190589-0-18904800-1404224346_thumb.

Yes those are Moroccan medjool dates, very nice when properly ripened & dried. Better than anything you can buy in Thailand.

The purple dragon fruit's color is so intense you need o look a few times to believe it is real.

I do not know the variety name but we can trade with your red one.

Actually I have about 8 mango varieties in but the seasons is now 99% finished, one posted is : "Mahachanok"

From the web:

The Mahachanok mango – also known as Mahachanook, Maha Chinook (may have spaces in all spelling varieties) or the Rainbow Mango – is oblong in shape with thick smooth skin and is about 16 to 18cm in length, weighing from 250 to 370 grams.

The Mahachanok mango looks quite similar to the Nam Doc Mai mango. Like usual mangoes, the Mahachanok starts out with green skin and ripens to a yellow with pink blush on the side most exposed to the sun. With buttery flesh, the taste of these mangoes is buttery, fragrant and sweet, the flesh being juicy and described as melt-in-your-mouth. What’s great about the Mahachanok is that the seed is long and flat, almost paper-thin – it having a good flesh to seed ratio – and there is little to no fibre to get stuck in your teeth

I know the mahachanook, have some branches of it on my cocktail tree's and my wife's family has a huge tree. Sometimes i see them on the market in BKK. They are not bad, smell strong but i prefer ndm. I also have jakrapat , r2e2, okrung, keo savoy, brahm kaai meu, sam ru do, chokanon, Iwen.

Okay we can swap the dragonfruits. Mine didn't fruit yet but grows fast.Was very hard to find a red one. I also have another cactus that looks similar to dragonfruit but actually i don't know what it is. The vendor said i could eat it so i hope it makes fruit. It looks like dragonfruitcactus but the segments are much longer about double as long as from a dragonfruit.

Yes they don't sell good dried dades in Thailand but with creamcheese inside i still like them.

Do you also have durians this season?

This year my durians are in bad shape, I was away diuring the really hot weather; they did not get enough water; all the flowers dropped, one died.

I see, that's sad news. Yes they need water during the summer months. I built a spinkler with a timer and that works perfect for me.