World Cup On Tv

dantilley

OK, I've just heard the terrible news that UBC will not be showing any World Cup games, so does anyone know:

1. Will the Thai channels be showing every game that's on? I.e. not just England or other major nations
  2. Will the commentary be in English or Thai?
  3. Will we have to put up with those ridiculous full-screen adverts every time the ball leaves the field?

Edited by dantilley

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I've just heard the terrible news that UBC will not be showing any World Cup games, so does anyone know:
  1. Will the Thai channels be showing every game that's on? I.e. not just England or other major nations
  2. Will the commentary be in English or Thai?
  3. Will we have to put up with those ridiculous full-screen adverts every time the ball leaves the field?

Not sure about your first question but the coverage is being shared amongst the networks (3,5 & 7).

If you have a bilanguage tv (one with the I/II button on the remote) you'll get the English commentary on the second audio track. Though that only seems to work on Channel 7 & 5 for me.

I suspect yes on number 3!!

Edited by Simmo

LIVE BROADCAST

English soundtrack 'only in hotels'

TOR CHITTINAND

The English language soundtrack for the World Cup will only be available at hotels and not in regular households, managing director of Dhospaak, Mr Vorawoot Rojanaparnich said yesterday.

He said that under the license his company had signed, Fifa would only allow the Thai language soundtrack to be aired.

However hotels that sign a contract with Dhospaak would receive the English language soundtrack.

He affirmed all 64 matches will be shown live on six channels of free TV - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and iTV.

"Thailand is the only country in the world to watch the World Cup live on free TV," he claimed.

He said that in Malaysia and Singapore the live matches are only shown on pay TV or cable TV.

"It is very lucky that we are can watch the matches live on free tv without any commercial interruptions."

Just read this in today's Bkk Post so it seems that you won't get English commentary, no adverts though

Supersports, the South African sports network is showing every game live, so those pubs that have SA Satellite will be able to show the games that are on when the pubs are open

I've tried that before and sometimes it works but other times you get a a couple of seconds delay which can be riduculously annoying.

A friend who was born here said that there used to be a local radio station that broadcast the commentary in English....he said he was going to look into, I'll ask him and if there's any good news I'll post it.

"Thailand is the only country in the world to watch the World Cup live on free TV," he claimed

What rubbish!

I'm afraid its going to be a World Cup full of those annoying split screens etc. What I can't understand is that they never seem to show ads during half time!!

"Thailand is the only country in the world to watch the World Cup live on free TV," he claimed.

That claim is <deleted> as well as in England it's on ITV and BBC!!

ah......but is the bbc really free?

So, what has been said is that there is absolutely no chance of English commentry, because the supplying network forbid it...............................................unless you pay me ,then you can have it. Why dosn't the fcking imbersil come straight out with it?

" I've got the franchise, grease my palm and we'll share it"

So can anyone tell me, how we go about BRIBING this Rojaparnich geezer?

Edited by lampard10

Could always try to pick up some English language internet radio commentary I suppose, if the speaker-cable will reach into the living room...

I'm a regular listener to BBC radio 5 and I've yet to hear a single sports commentary relayed over the net. Everytime a live sports programme comes on, it is blocked to internet listeners, due to"rights" problems. This includes all premiership and international football matches, so it will probably apply to the world cup. I'll look at their web site and may be send them an email and try to find out.

There may be some other English language commentaries out there somewhere on the net. If anyone knows, can they post the info please? Thanks

I am really disappointed because I've got a lovely new 62 inch TV screen and have been looking foraward to watching many of the matches at home, and even having a few pool parties at the same time - depending how England get on. It was the main reason I bought the bloody thing in the first place.

I wonder how much the hotels will pay for the sound track? - if indeed any of them bother - and how would you go about getting it at home?

Try the old fashioned way via short wave radio.

Don't have one.

And I'm not even sure you could get it on short wave. They only carry the world service don't they?

I've just emailed BBC and they have advised that they will NOT be putting their radio commentaries on the internet.

I have also done an extensive Google, and it is pretty clear that no-one anywhere is putting live commentaries on the internet. They did last time round (2002) but not now. I bet its down to money and 'protecting the rights'. :o

However, we've still got a few options: :D

Listen in Thai

Turn the sound off

Find a hotel with the soundtrack

find a bar with an illegal transmission.

Fly back to England.

Maybe I'll go and buy myself a new dish and box :D

I've just emailed BBC and they have advised that they will NOT be putting their radio commentaries on the internet.

I have also done an extensive Google, and it is pretty clear that no-one anywhere is putting live commentaries on the internet. They did last time round (2002) but not now. I bet its down to money and 'protecting the rights'. :o

However, we've still got a few options: :D

Listen in Thai

Turn the sound off

Find a hotel with the soundtrack

find a bar with an illegal transmission.

Fly back to England.

Maybe I'll go and buy myself a new dish and box :D

You've forgotten one:

Bribe the cocsukingsob :D

"Thailand is the only country in the world to watch the World Cup live on free TV," he claimed

What rubbish!

I'm afraid its going to be a World Cup full of those annoying split screens etc. What I can't understand is that they never seem to show ads during half time!!

There's absolutely no ads during play in the World Cup coverage - Chang sponsors the whole thing, and their ads are played on a loop during breaks, including one with a particularly irritating tune that I can still remember from the last time boasting how thanks to Beer Chang "mai mii kohsana".

Commentary is <deleted> though. :o

Somebody on the Pattaya Forum has suggested that if you receive the Thai channels via UBC satellite, you can still get the Englsih commentary by using the language button on the remote - as per normal.

Does anyone know if this will actually be the case, or how can we find out?

Somebody on the Pattaya Forum has suggested that if you receive the Thai channels via UBC satellite, you can still get the Englsih commentary by using the language button on the remote - as per normal.

Does anyone know if this will actually be the case, or how can we find out?

Now that would be good.

Someone find out please.

ermmmm..... sorry to ask such a stupid question, but does the UBC package include those free channels 3,5,7,9,11 and whatever ?

Yep

I think there from chanells 1-10 or something I don't go to them much but looks like I shall.

My thai partner refuses to watch chanells 3,5,7,9,11 via UBC's clear picture and still uses normal TV :o Bless her cotton socks.

ermmmm..... sorry to ask such a stupid question, but does the UBC package include those free channels 3,5,7,9,11 and whatever ?

Yep

I think there from chanells 1-10 or something I don't go to them much but looks like I shall.

My thai partner refuses to watch chanells 3,5,7,9,11 via UBC's clear picture and still uses normal TV :o Bless her cotton socks.

You're lucky _ I had to buy another UBC box because she hogs the Thai channels between 8.30 and 10.45 every evening for those bloody Thai soap operas, and most other times as well. The UBC transmission is very clear.( but don't tell your gf :D )

I think that unless there's a change of heart, there's veryt little chance of getting the English soundtrack. The guy who has the rights has already made it clear he is not going to pay for it.

I'm just wondering if I can get someone in England to tune into radio 5 and somehow relay the commentary over the internet to me. Anyone got any ideas on this? Can it be done?

You're lucky _ I had to buy another UBC box because she hogs the Thai channels between 8.30 and 10.45 every evening for those bloody Thai soap operas, and most other times as well. The UBC transmission is very clear.( but don't tell your gf :o )

I do keep telling her its clear and she says "but you can watch your programes hun" to which I reply OK :D

Edited by agsnowdon

I'm just wondering if I can get someone in England to tune into radio 5 and somehow relay the commentary over the internet to me. Anyone got any ideas on this? Can it be done?

Could always Skype someone in the UK, turn your computer speakers right up and get them to place the mic next to their radio or TV - then you could get the very good BBC1 commentary, plus the additional soundtrack of your mates in the living room too...

For that, though, you'd obviously need someone with a PC within range of a TV at home.

The Thai commentry is bad. If you can understand what is actually being said you will realize that there isn't much match analysis being relayed to the Thai public.

All the Thai commentators seem do is state the obvious, make theatrical noises, and shout 'supersave' anytime the goalkeeper tips the ball around the post. :o

I also see that ESPN have an hour worth of World Cup news every night betwen 6.30 and 7.30. Usually their sport news coverage is pretty good so it might be worth tuning into Colette Wong and co. for your latest football news and action. :D

Edited by Spit the Dog

Yeah i remeber the thai commentary last time was diabolical,,,just a constant stream of Na Krap Na Krap Na Krap ....untranslateable <deleted> nearly as bad as the doughnut vendors in Big C :o:D

As far as I'm aware, the Thai commentators are in Thailand, watching the same transmission as the punters, but have the benefit of the Englsih language commentary in their headfphones!!!! :D

TIT