World Cup On Tv

dantilley

Why is anyone surprised at this? 4 years ago we had the same situation. i just checked espnstar.com and as far as i can tell they are not televising world cup anywhere in asia. if that is the case, then really ubc is off the hook- they get their programming from espnstar.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is anyone surprised at this? 4 years ago we had the same situation. i just checked espnstar.com and as far as i can tell they are not televising world cup anywhere in asia. if that is the case, then really ubc is off the hook- they get their programming from espnstar.

India gets it's World Cup coverage on ESPN, same as they had for Euro 2004.

It's UBC not splashing the cash!

In HK and Singapore it is on cable TV (but not on ESPN/STAR) meaning that it is only available to people with a subscription to cable. The coverage of the last world cup in HK was atrocious, there was English commentary during the game but it was most definitely not BBC.... it was one man who had about 10 phrases that he repeated over and over during the game and the match analysis was it in Cantonese with men dressed as clowns!! The worse thing was that as most locals didn't have Cable they were all in the pub nursing a coke for two hours, it got so bad that pubs were charging HKD200 to get into the pub but it included 3 drinks. Even then the pubs were still stupidly busy....we got to the pub 2 hours before the kick off for the final and decided to watch it at home as it was so busy.

In the UK there is legislation that states that tournaments such as the World Cup, Euro 2004, Olympics etc have to be shown on Terrestrial TV so that everyone can watch them, I doubt Thailand has those kind of laws but I was told that Chang have sponsored the coverage so they may have outbid UBC in order to get their advertising to the biggest potential audience.

It's definitely not UBC's fault. UBC has not influence over what ESPN's programming. If ESPN decides to broadcast the best of snooker 1965 season instead of WC final in Thailand then no one can stop them. It's not like UBC simply discontinued ESPN broadcast so that we can't watch football.

Dhosapak (Chang) outbid the usual "TV pool" for the last WC and the EC after that. UBC has never been in the running - they are too small players with limited audience and no budget.

In HK and Singapore it is on cable TV (but not on ESPN/STAR) meaning that it is only available to people with a subscription to cable. The coverage of the last world cup in HK was atrocious, there was English commentary during the game but it was most definitely not BBC.... it was one man who had about 10 phrases that he repeated over and over during the game and the match analysis was it in Cantonese with men dressed as clowns!! The worse thing was that as most locals didn't have Cable they were all in the pub nursing a coke for two hours, it got so bad that pubs were charging HKD200 to get into the pub but it included 3 drinks. Even then the pubs were still stupidly busy....we got to the pub 2 hours before the kick off for the final and decided to watch it at home as it was so busy.

In the UK there is legislation that states that tournaments such as the World Cup, Euro 2004, Olympics etc have to be shown on Terrestrial TV so that everyone can watch them, I doubt Thailand has those kind of laws but I was told that Chang have sponsored the coverage so they may have outbid UBC in order to get their advertising to the biggest potential audience.

I saw an advert on Thai TV 3 today which said that Chang is sponsoring the world cup coverage in Thailand WITHOUT advertising during the game. So no more of the small screen in the corner views every time the ball goes out of play. I suspect that this "Mai Me Cosanar" rule will not apply before, at half-time and after the match.

The Thai commentry is bad. If you can understand what is actually being said you will realize that there isn't much match analysis being relayed to the Thai public.

All the Thai commentators seem do is state the obvious, make theatrical noises, and shout 'supersave' anytime the goalkeeper tips the ball around the post. rolleyes.gif

I'd rather have some Thai commentator than the English ones like Motson.

It's definitely not UBC's fault. UBC has not influence over what ESPN's programming. If ESPN decides to broadcast the best of snooker 1965 season instead of WC final in Thailand then no one can stop them. It's not like UBC simply discontinued ESPN broadcast so that we can't watch football.

Dhosapak (Chang) outbid the usual "TV pool" for the last WC and the EC after that. UBC has never been in the running - they are too small players with limited audience and no budget.

Fair enough, I accept what you say. But can you explain why UBC are telling new customers that they will carry the English soundtrack and when, as an existing customer, I emailed them to enquire about it, some days ago, I'm still awaiting a reply?: Is it just down to incompetence?

Just a thought - Is Dhosapak trying to sell the rights to the original commentary to UBC, and UBC aren't biting? Or is it because he wants to make an extra bob or two out of the hotels, that he is not allowing it for general use? Even the England game against Hungary last night on Channel 3 had the English commentary - its all bloody weird.! :o

I watched the second half of the England-Hungary game last night, and I was so engrossed in the football being played, I hardly noticed it was in Thai. One thing I did hear though, is that unbelievably the Thai commentators were actually saying the name of the person with the ball, not after he had passed it to someone else, like normally happens.

It looks like TalkSport Radio in UK is transmitting all WC games live.

Talksport is available on satellite radio via worldspace.

If you get a worldspace receiver and a subscription you should be ok.

A radio is around $100 and the subscription about $10/month

www.worldspace.com

www.talksport.net

About Worldsspace and TalkSport, there was a disclamer on the worldspace website:

"Some live sports programming will not be available on WorldSpace TalkSport broadcasts due to international contractual restrictions imposed on talkSPORT's coverage by sports rights holders."

Not sure if this means the WC but would not be surpriced. :-(

About Worldsspace and TalkSport, there was a disclamer on the worldspace website:

"Some live sports programming will not be available on WorldSpace TalkSport broadcasts due to international contractual restrictions imposed on talkSPORT's coverage by sports rights holders."

Not sure if this means the WC but would not be surpriced. :-(

There you go again, one small gem of hope, only to have it dashed.

If you trawl through the internet, the thing that strikes you is that there is absolutely no organisation anywhere who is transmitting live coverage outside their own country. It has obviously been excluded when FIFA did the deals with the rights holders.

I guess its down to the Thai commentators, Never mind, better than nothing. :o

What about the 2 AM games? I wanted to know if anybody has an idea which bar will be opened after 2.

I second this question!

Didn't you hear the news?

The Toxin Janitorial Govern-by-numbers adminsitration has heard about all the poor farangs who won't be able to watch their beloved footie after 2 a.m. when the bars close.

So they have decided to declare a moratorium on bar closing hours, for the entire duration of the tournmament, or, for as long as the Thailand football team remains in the tournament - whichever event happens first.

Three cheers for our beloved bleeder. :o:D:D

What about the 2 AM games? I wanted to know if anybody has an idea which bar will be opened after 2.

I second this question!

The Toxin Janitorial Govern-by-numbers adminsitration has heard about all the poor farangs who won't be able to watch their beloved footie after 2 a.m. when the bars close.

So they have decided to declare a moratorium on bar closing hours, for the entire duration of the tournmament, or, for as long as the Thailand football team remains in the tournament - whichever event happens first.

Three cheers for our beloved bleeder. :D:D:D

:o:D

I second this question!

Three cheers for our beloved bleeder. :D:D:D

:o:D

Did i read that wrong :D Seeing as Thailand are not in it, that means no extended opening times :D:D

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-05-31 16:36:58) *

I can't wait to see England fail miserably.

I'll be cheering a much better team - Spain.

dry.gif Did you inadvertently forget to add a smiley or are you really that sad?

Of course I'm only joking. :o But being a Scot, it's a nightmare every Thai supporting England.

Scots do love to see England let's say, not win.

good football commentary (with tactical analysis) in thai can be found on the radio , although it comes so fast that its often too difficult for me to follow and understand in full .( the english commentator , e.g.motson or grey , can often be heard in the background)

there are two fm sports channels in the bangkok area that broadcast premiership match commentaries live on saturdays and sundays , i'm sure those channels will have good world cup coverage.

for coverage in english or other western languages , perhaps someone knows of radio stations available on the internet that will carry world cup games live , to be listened to whilst watching the game on thai tv.

I'm still hoping that sometime this or next week UBC will cut a deal with the Dhomapaak (is that the name of the bastards?....the Beer Chang mob) whereby UBC subscribers will be able to get English commentary for an additional charge. Sounds like good business to me. I watched the cricket last year for 300 baht a game and was able to pay almost right up to the start of the game. In other words it's not too late for UBC to announce the extra payment plan. I'm sure they'd make a killing with the tens of thousands of expats who want to watch the games at home. Don't you agree.

That's what puzzles me. How can Dhospaak let hotels have English commentary? I mean technically. If they somehow scramble the signal then the hotels need special hardware to unscramble it, and there's no time to install and test it.

If it will be available through UBC that can scramble/unscrumbple anything they boradcast, then why regular UBC subscribers can't access this service? It should be like Platinum pachage channels not available to Gold package subscribers - just upgrade your subscription.

If Dhospaak didn't get the rights to English soundrack whatsoever, then their deals with hotels might be illegal.

Someone posted an official e-mail reply from UBC saying that there will be no English sountrack during WC games, btw.

And now the good news: Radio Five Live WILL broadcast live commentary, possibly to listeners outside the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport2/hi/f...age/5037426.stm

>>>>>>

A question for Moby - your 62'' new TV is a "widescreen", 16:9 format. Thai TV broadcasts are in 4:3 format. Will a football look like a rugby ball?

That's what UBC sales guys told me the other day, boasting about their "plasmas" all over their booth. Either that or black bars on the sides, or zoom in and crop the top and the bottom.

Sony's ads aimed at WC viewers clearly show widescreen broadcast and compare it to a cropped image on normal TVs. Is it a case of false advertising?

That's what puzzles me. How can Dhospaak let hotels have English commentary? I mean technically. If they somehow scramble the signal then the hotels need special hardware to unscramble it, and there's no time to install and test it.

If it will be available through UBC that can scramble/unscrumbple anything they boradcast, then why regular UBC subscribers can't access this service? It should be like Platinum pachage channels not available to Gold package subscribers - just upgrade your subscription.

If Dhospaak didn't get the rights to English soundrack whatsoever, then their deals with hotels might be illegal.

Someone posted an official e-mail reply from UBC saying that there will be no English sountrack during WC games, btw.

And now the good news: Radio Five Live WILL broadcast live commentary, possibly to listeners outside the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport2/hi/f...age/5037426.stm

>>>>>>

A question for Moby - your 62'' new TV is a "widescreen", 16:9 format. Thai TV broadcasts are in 4:3 format. Will a football look like a rugby ball?

That's what UBC sales guys told me the other day, boasting about their "plasmas" all over their booth. Either that or black bars on the sides, or zoom in and crop the top and the bottom.

Sony's ads aimed at WC viewers clearly show widescreen broadcast and compare it to a cropped image on normal TVs. Is it a case of false advertising?

Firstly, thanks for the link to BBC World Cup, it does indeed look as though we will get some live commentary on what they call "broadband". Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can see there is no reference on this web page to radio 5. This is an interactive broad band sound /video link - I think it will broadcast the BBC TV pictures & commentary. I already emailed radio 5 about a week ago, and they replied, stating catagorically that they would NOT be streaming their commentaries on the internet.

Anyway, this could be even better. I just tried it with BBC video clips, and although the video quality was a bit naff, the sound was fine - and that's all I need. I've already got good external speakers connected to my PC, so I should be up and away. Might be problems with time delays, but I guess you can't have everything!

Good job I just upgraded my Ipstar to 512/256 :D

Regarding your question on the TV. format. I won't be able to say for sure until the world cup starts, but up to now all football matches cover the full screen in 16:9 format. I've just checked an under 21 game that is on Star sports (England/Norway) and it's fine. However, I even remember some problems in England on this during the last world cup. My digital reception through Sky didn't cover the full screen and I had to mess about with the controls to get it on wide screen. Can't remember what I did, but I may have had to change to the terrestial signal to get it on the full screen. It was all very odd. It also happened with the olympics, but never with anything else. So I'll have to wait and see. If it effects my screen. it'll effect all the wide screens in pubs and other public places in Thailand.

Regarding Mr Dhoospak and his games - I'm as puzzled and confused as you. Can't understand what he's up to. Trying to recover a few bob at the expense of us farangs, but don't really understand. There was a letter in yeserday's Bangkok Post exhorting all farangs to boycott Chang Beer! :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark