World Cup On Tv

dantilley

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how I read it to and from previous experience when I've tried to listen to certain games via the BBC website they've been blocked.

Someone either on this post or another one mentioned that Talksport will broadcast their commentary and they thought it would be available in Thailand but there's a 7 second delay...not exactly ideal if you're also watching the game!!

From that BBC link:

In addition to watching the games, online users will be able to hear and read about the latest action - Radio Five Live will have an audio stream and there will also be live minute-by-minute written reports on every match.

So there WILL be live radio broadcast, but it's not clear if "online users" means UK only.

From Radio Five Q&A:

How can I listen to Five Live and Sports Extra commentaries online?

We now have the rights to stream most of our sporting events, including Premiership football - but to the UK only. Check our commentaries page for full details of what you can hear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/commentaries.shtml.

If you're elsewhere in the world, you can still hear some events - but not Premiership games. This is because the Premier League limits us contractually to streaming to the UK only. If you listen from overseas during a match, you'll hear a message explaining this - and the programme will return as soon as the action finishes.

And for some events, like Formula 1, we're unable to stream at all - even to the UK. If you log on during these races you'll hear the explanatory message - but the programme will return as soon as the action's over.

Of course, if you're based in the UK, you can listen to these events on 909 & 693 AM, on digital radio, and digital TV

From that BBC link:

In addition to watching the games, online users will be able to hear and read about the latest action - Radio Five Live will have an audio stream and there will also be live minute-by-minute written reports on every match.

So there WILL be live radio broadcast, but it's not clear if "online users" means UK only.

From Radio Five Q&A:

How can I listen to Five Live and Sports Extra commentaries online?

We now have the rights to stream most of our sporting events, including Premiership football - but to the UK only. Check our commentaries page for full details of what you can hear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/commentaries.shtml.

If you're elsewhere in the world, you can still hear some events - but not Premiership games. This is because the Premier League limits us contractually to streaming to the UK only. If you listen from overseas during a match, you'll hear a message explaining this - and the programme will return as soon as the action finishes.

And for some events, like Formula 1, we're unable to stream at all - even to the UK. If you log on during these races you'll hear the explanatory message - but the programme will return as soon as the action's over.

Of course, if you're based in the UK, you can listen to these events on 909 & 693 AM, on digital radio, and digital TV

Here's what some official at Five live sent to me:

Dear M,

Thanks for your email.

No, we won't be streaming coverage of the World Cup abroad.

Thank you for contacting Five Live

I think you'll find that five live will stream on Sky radio, DAB and their usual am frequencies - not on the internet. I've also looked at the talk radio web site and can't find any indiaction that they will stream on the internet, Don't get confused with "satellite Radio" and the internet. They're not the same.

However, I agree with a dantilley that there should be no reasoin why we can't receive the so-called "broadband" transmission. I have already tried from BBC's world cup web page by clicking on the audio/TV button, and successfully recieved the video clips they have there. So I see no reason why I can't receive the live coverage, Ipstar permitting.

After spending days trawling through the net, I will be very surprised af anyone comes up with live 'Radio" commentary from anywhere, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong :o

After spending days trawling through the net, I will be very surprised af anyone comes up with live 'Radio" commentary from anywhere, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong
I don’t know how true the following report is, and whether it refers to voice only or also video (would be too good to be true).
The Beeb is to broadcast all of it's World Cup games live online, letting office workers keep up with the action. Director of sport ROger Mosey said: "This will allow people to do their job and keep up with the latest action from Germany.

Source: The Sun, June 2, 2006 (last paragraph)

---------------

Maestro

After spending days trawling through the net, I will be very surprised af anyone comes up with live 'Radio" commentary from anywhere, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong
I don’t know how true the following report is, and whether it refers to voice only or also video (would be too good to be true).
The Beeb is to broadcast all of it's World Cup games live online, letting office workers keep up with the action. Director of sport ROger Mosey said: "This will allow people to do their job and keep up with the latest action from Germany.

Source: The Sun, June 2, 2006 (last paragraph)

---------------

Maestro

I think you will find that this refers to the BBC World Cup TV coverage which is being streamed on the net as a "Broadband" service, and is obtainable from the BBC World Cup Web site. The quote is similar (or the same?) as the one I saw on the BBC web page. As I said before it should be as good, if not better than radio coverage, provided the sound syncs with local pictures, and provided our local isp's don't let us down.

A pure radio broadcast would be better, only because it is less likely to be affected by poor bandwidth etc. I listen to radio 2, 4 and 5 all day long,, and the quality and reliablilty is generally pretty good.

Prof Fart - I agree it doesn't make sense about the overseas rights but there must be something to it. Why can't the BBC stream the premiership commentaries overseas? Maybe the people who buy the TV rights are worried that they will have fewer viewers if punters can listen on the internet? And what about this bloody Chang guy who is toting the soundtrack around for a few bob? There must be a logical explanation for all this - yes?..no?... :o

The live streaming of video of the game on the BBC website as well as the highlights they are making available is definitely for the UK only, if they are streaming commentary/radio seperately I'm unsure if that will be available outside of the UK. Below is the story from the BBC website......

BBC Website Shows World Cup Games

All of the BBC's 2006 World Cup matches will also be broadcast exclusively live on the BBC Sport website. The service will be available to UK broadband users and will mirror terrestrial and interactive coverage. In addition there will be four-minute highlight packages from every single game of the tournament on demand. Head of Sport Roger Mosey said: "The World Cup on broadband is our biggest commitment yet to bringing people major events where and when they want them." All of the BBC's group games will be covered live on the internet as well as all the subsequent games the BBC has in the knockout stages, including England's second round and quarter-final games, should they reach that stage.

Viewers will be able to stream the same coverage as will appear on terrestrial television and listen to the same commentary. In addition to watching the games, online users will be able to hear and read about the latest action - Radio Five Live will have an audio stream and there will also be live minute-by-minute written reports on every match. Mosey added: "You can watch the World Cup from the BBC at home on TV, listen in the car on your radio and now also see full live coverage on your PC. "We know a lot of online viewing is done in the office, so we suspect this will allow people both to do their job and to keep up with the very latest action from Germany." The BBC has successfully broadcast football over the internet before, but this is by far its biggest-ever single commitment. In 2005 the BBC showed the final of the Club World Championship between Liverpool and Sao Paulo online to UK internet users. Similarly the BBC also broadcast online all the interactive streams from Athens 2004 Olympics.

I have just found a sports channel that is on dynasat agulia satellite dream tv called sports plus and they are showing a lot of world cup games some live but most of them delayed broadcasts but they should have english soundtrack. If you want to check it out there web page is www.solar-entertainment.com/sportsplus/football.html I am not sure if this sports channel is on any other satellite set up. hope this helps.

The live streaming of video of the game on the BBC website as well as the highlights they are making available is definitely for the UK only, if they are streaming commentary/radio seperately I'm unsure if that will be available outside of the UK. Below is the story from the BBC website......

I suppose they can filter out IP addresses that are outside of the UK, so as to restrict the service to the UK only. If so, I suppose you could try accessing such content through a "proxy server", so your IP address would be hidden??

Might be worth a try..

:o

Hi fellow World Cup Fans, just an idea.... I'm just playing with a digital cam, and producing small minutes of web coverage for my local cricket club... I call myself Weetoze, and my partner in crime :D is Squires.. anyway, we form the duo act that "broadcasts" under the banner - Wheatley World Wide Communications... hey.. but we have to start somewhere...

Check us out at http://ibstocktown.hitscricket.com/home , first of all can you get to the site, secondly if you go to the video highlights section...

Now :D , can we , errrr expand, big time... charge .. £1.00 perhaps... and broadcast.. the world cup.... :o

Ok, but lets just drop the £1.00 and do it anyway..

Seriously, it would be good to watch a live game on a Saturday at 3.00pm here in the uk.. but we cant, perhaps I should hop on a plane to another country..

Hope we enjoy the World Cup... and if anyone has an idea for my new venture, although not proffesional, mind i'm sure we could do a better job of the Thi com... well, depends the amount of beers we have... and if us English are still in the competition... They think its all over... it just might be....

Bloody TV companies... subscribe to this, subscribe to that, TV licence for this, cant even watch the test cricket on the BBC now... :D

Enjoy the world cup... and please drop in for our coverage, does anyone have msn.... just another idea... :D

Catch you later,

Craig, (WWWC) - "you have to start somewhere" :D

Edited by Weetoze

Well, someone loves me, somewhere :D

I happened to complain about the lack of soundtracks in monthly "newsletter" to the folks back home, and both my youngest daughter (who's boyfriend is a computer buff) and my son - law (who works in computers), have emailed me to give me the link to the BBC World cup website. They have both confirmed that there will be no "radio" streaming.

My son-in-law reckons that even though it is intended for Uk residents, there is no way they can"police' the broadband transmission going to anywhere in the world, unless the local ISP blocks it. Stating the obvious, he adds that I won't know for sure until the world cup starts.

So we live in hope :o

Anyway, I can just about recognise Beckham (the smarmy one), Owen (the midget). Crouch (the beanstalk), Rooney (the cripple), Ferdinand (the yobbo junkie), Walcott (the one in nappies) et al, so who needs a commenatator? :D

What I don't understand ( obviously everybody else does, or else it would have been brought up), is that when Thai TV receive the match and soundtrack it is in English. THEY must dub Thai in. The dual language controller on your UBC remote eliminates the Thai language, so the original soundtrack must be left. Or does it. This Thai corperation says they can only receive in Thai. Does that mean that all six Thai channels are going to be present in Germany, beaming back the matches in Thai? I don't think so. What they really mean is, pay us vast amounts of bucks, and we will conveniently forget to black out the English commentry. Or how come Hotels can broadcast in English?

I agree, Lampard 10. I'm still reckon UBC will make us an offer in the next week....."We've done a deal with Chang to let us broadcast in two languages ,so now farang, give us 1,000 baht and you'll get your English commentary. "

What I don't understand ( obviously everybody else does, or else it would have been brought up), is that when Thai TV receive the match and soundtrack it is in English. THEY must dub Thai in. The dual language controller on your UBC remote eliminates the Thai language, so the original soundtrack must be left. Or does it. This Thai corperation says they can only receive in Thai. Does that mean that all six Thai channels are going to be present in Germany, beaming back the matches in Thai? I don't think so. What they really mean is, pay us vast amounts of bucks, and we will conveniently forget to black out the English commentry. Or how come Hotels can broadcast in English?

I think you will find that if you go back through the thread that there is a great "fog" of confusion about this whole matter of how UBC/Chang can block out the commentary for some and not to others. Noone has explained how this may be technically possible.

Just a thought - if you receive the transmission on a bi- lingual terrestial TV, I believe the original soundtrack is transmitted via an FM frequency - so it would be easy to block that. But if you're getting the programme through UBC - cable or satellite, then I cannot see how they can selectively broadcast the alternative sound track. Beats the hel_l out of me!

Someone explain it all - Please! :o

I've just got on to UBC to try and get the definitive answer to our language concerns.

Even though I speak good Thai, the thought of 90mins worth of "Beckam Krup, khao hai kup Wayne Looney Krup" and "Ooooh, SUPER-SAVE kong Robinson krup" would do my head in.

I'll let you know their reply.

I've just got on to UBC to try and get the definitive answer to our language concerns.

Even though I speak good Thai, the thought of 90mins worth of "Beckam Krup, khao hai kup Wayne Looney Krup" and "Ooooh, SUPER-SAVE kong Robinson krup" would do my head in.

I'll let you know their reply.

I emailed them a week ago quoting my platinum account number, and have not had the courtesy of a reply. I hope you have better luck.

Maybe Ned is right - we'll be offered a deal next week :o

And now the good news: Radio Five Live WILL broadcast live commentary, possibly to listeners outside the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport2/hi/f...age/5037426.stm

From my reading of that article the internet broadcast is for UK listeners ONLY.

Yes you can listen to Five Live over the internet in Thailand tried it myself during the Hungry game, now the bad news the commentry was about twelve seconds behind the UBC picture though I do only have 56K dial up , maybe someone with Broadband can try it and see if it improvesthe delay.

And now the good news: Radio Five Live WILL broadcast live commentary, possibly to listeners outside the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport2/hi/f...age/5037426.stm

From my reading of that article the internet broadcast is for UK listeners ONLY.

Yes you can listen to Five Live over the internet in Thailand tried it myself during the Hungry game, now the bad news the commentry was about twelve seconds behind the UBC picture though I do only have 56K dial up , maybe someone with Broadband can try it and see if it improvesthe delay.

Not for the world cup games.

I don't know how many times I have stated on this thread that BBC radio 5 WILL NOT BE streaming their commentaries on the internet for the world cup games. They have sent me a personal email stating this fact, and you can see from the info on their web page that this will be the case. I must have been listening to radio 5 for about 6 hours today on the net, and I have no doubt that England's friendly tonight will be streamed on the net, but NOT the World Cup games. That's what this thread has been all about - trying to track down some English commentary.

Incidentally, I have no idea why, but there is a piece in today's Bangkok Post talking about the BBC's TV World Cup coverage on the net, and ominously, The headline reads:

"BBC To Limit Internet Games Stream to UK"

So we shall to wait and see if indeed they can limit it.

BTW the time delay is usually caused by temporary breaks in reception, and when the sound returns it will pick up where it left off, so that you don't miss anything, and effectively you are on a time delay that will grow every time there is a small break. The way to get it back to real time is to break the connection completely and reconnect. I have also observed in the past that UBC's transmissions sometimes have time delays - I once had analogue and digital boxes, broadcasting the same match, and one was always several seconds behind the other.

Have fun

Thai TV receive the match and soundtrack it is in English. THEY must dub Thai in.

The company in Germany that broadcasts WC games most probably doesn't mix their video with audio feed from hundreds of commentators in dozens of languages for home viewers itself - it's done in the studios back in their countries.

Thais probably have their own commentators sitting in the stadiums and local Dhosapak is allowed to receive their Thai commentary, and not the one from English commentators (or German or Italian or Portugese). Perhaps even English speaking countries receive their commentary from their own commentators, not from English blokes. I, personally, don't want to listen to American or Ozzy commentary, even if it's in English.

I suppose Dhosapak could have paid for two language streams but it didn't, or maybe it's not possible at all - only one audio stream from the games per country. In this case Thais chose Thai, no brainer.

If they didn't have people on the ground in Germany they would have chosen English and put Thai commentators in a studio in Bangkok as they do with games on ESPN, or tennis.

>>>>>>>

I think it's a bit arrogant to presume that all WC games are broadcast in English and other countries must dub/translate it in their language.

Went to my local where I shall be watching the England games and I qoute the English manager.

"Went to UBC today and said in other words don't give me any crap is it gonna be in Englsh"

Everyone at UBC said yes but I spose thats like when I said to the thai lady behind he bar can I book a table for next saturday she said yes after 20 mins I said to the manager glad I got my table booked here and he said no bookings for that day sorry.

LMFAO

Waiter's excuse - you asked if you CAN book the table, not actually booked it.

Has anyone ever listened to Radio Five Premier League games? I suppose they will put the same technical restrictions for WC. Usually websites like that check YOUR ISP, and if it's not the one on their approved list, you can't view/listen. I doubt anonymous proxies can get through either - you need to appear as a BT subscriber.

Sorry forgot to add she took our name, time and which table we'd like to sit at which was the one in front of the massive TV.

LOL :o

Edited by agsnowdon

Went to my local where I shall be watching the England games and I qoute the English manager.

"Went to UBC today and said in other words don't give me any crap is it gonna be in Englsh"

Everyone at UBC said yes

They said that to get him out of the office. It's an age old trick by the Thais, same as if you make a phone call to whoever about a technical issue or other type of query and they say they'll call you back and never do... maddening :o

If it is in English though, great.

Has anyone ever listened to Radio Five Premier League games? I suppose they will put the same technical restrictions for WC. Usually websites like that check YOUR ISP, and if it's not the one on their approved list, you can't view/listen. I doubt anonymous proxies can get through either - you need to appear as a BT subscriber.

Sorry, but there is a slight difference. Radio five do not put the premiership commentary on the internet. Even in England you cannot listen via the internet, you have to use DAB, SKY or AM radio.

BBC are broadcasting their TV commentary - sound and picture - (not radio), on a broadband internet stream. They say it is for the UK only, but unless your local ISP blocks it, there SEEMS to be no reason why we shouldn't get it. Not everyone in the UK receives their internet via BT, and there are thousands of independant ISP's - so how do they stream it to the UK and block it going out of the country. My son- in - law, who is in the biz, reckons they can't - but who can say for sure?

BTW, Pattaygaz, I owe you an opology. You're quite right about the time time delay - I tried it myself for the England Jamaica game last night. It was a good 12 seconds. This must be deliberate, because normally I get BBC radio in real time - I can tell from the time pips. etc.

Believe me folks, having a 12 second delay on the sound commentary, renders it more or less useless. I listened to 2 goals being scored, 12 seconds after I had seen them go in the net - it was ridiculous. So in my book I'm writing off radio commentary. The same might even apply to this BBC broadband transmission - who knows?

Looks like it's down to Dhosopak to have a change of heart, or brush up on your Thai - but I guess everyone can learn "Ne Krap...Ne Krap... Ne Krap......" :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Want a laugh... we have Eurosport here in the UK, only its not Eurosport... Its called Eurosport UK.... Eurosport, as it is, broadcasts to ... errrr... europe, but due to the same silly broadcasting laws you people seem to be enduring, we get a slightly different feed from that our counterparts receive across the English Channel and North Sea...

Alas, is it really Eurosport... or just another English subscribtion rip off....

I'm peeved that you guys cant listen to the English audio feeds... on the BBC.. perhaps you might want to search the google for the Independent Television coverage..

(ITV).... just an idea... and anyway, not all the England games are on thee BBC live either..

I will post the live BBC/ITV games later..

Anyway, I'm off to sleep, its, 3.15am here.. night world cup friends...

Weetoze

Everyone at UBC said yes

Here's the email reply I got from UBC Customer Service:

"

Dear Mr. ???,

Thank you for your e-mail below. With regards to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that Free TV channel will broadcast the matches in Thai language. As UBC is not the rights holder of World Cup tournament , UBC do not have control over the commentary of the games. We are sincerely sorry for this inconvenience that may have caused.

Should you have any further queries, please contact our customer service at.......

Best regards,

Customer Service Support"

Mmmm!

Yeah, I've just asked the very same question and also asked them why they think I should continue with my subscription if they can't deliver the goods on the world's greatest sporting event.