White Board Markers

chiangrai

Anybody know a good brand of whiteboard markers.

The best I've found yet is PILOT.

I would even order them over the internet from abroad if I had a recommended brand.

I found PENTEL on Ebay are they any good.

I hate working with crap tools fading away in the middle of class

I use Pilot aswell I think they provide the best quality of marker compared to other brands - IMO. I dislike using refill ink, the marker tends to leak and not come out as consistent. My school provides real crap markers, so every month I make a trip to Big C and buy a box of Pilot markers myself. I had to use a blackboard at my previous job................. I hope I never have to use another one again!!!

• Like 1

Yes but Pilot is still crap.

I'm on ebay looking at free shipping from Korea,works out about 40bht per marker.

You can also get BIC and STAEDLER if you want to spend more.

What's wrong with them? They work fine, been using them 3years no problem...

I don't think it's necessary to get markers shipped to you via Ebay..

Then again, it's all about personal preference......... :)

Edited by kirstymelb101
  • Like 1

I have Pilot also, but mine say "Wytebord Marker". I'm wondering if I've got some cheap knockoffs or does it say that on everyone's Pilots? They seem to work fine for me. Last about two weeks before needing to be refilled (and I write a LOT).

Oh - something weird about Pilot: refill ink is not available for the green pens. I have no idea why.

Edited by attrayant

• 7 years later...

Presentations from software. It looks far better, you'll do a better job presentating. Make it once, continue to improve it.

You can't all be math teachers

You buy your own markers? Time for a new job. Even the bottom ring schools I had worked I was given markers (5-8 yrs ago).

Edited by Chad3000

8 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Presentations from software. It looks far better, you'll do a better job presentating. Make it once, continue to improve it.

You can't all be math teachers

You buy your own markers? Time for a new job. Even the bottom ring schools I had worked I was given markers (5-8 yrs ago).

I must have been on sub-bottom rung for most of the 12 years then, actually the last schools I worked had chalk boards. I would rather pay for ink refills than go home covered in chalk dust every day.

Totally agree with you on the presentations, in the schools that had projectors or flat screens.

The best writing system I found was this "liquid chalk" pen, on this smooth green board with grid marks, you could write really neatly and it was really clean. This "cool" school I worked at installed all new boards, gave all the teachers one pen, which if you lost, had to pay for a replacement - the thing was the school couldn't get any any refill liquid, so we spent most the first term not being able to write on anything. Classic. 

Back to the OP: I never saw the problem with the whyteboard refills, did the job, the trick is not to put not too much ink in when you refill and use clean syringes instead of the little droppers that always split. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

There are obviously more things to think about when choosing a job than paying a few baht for a marker pen a few times a month.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, puchooay said:

There are obviously more things to think about when choosing a job than paying a few baht for a marker pen a few times a month.

Yeah, like being heads up enough to know that if the school doesn't have projectors and audio it's definitely no where any clear headed teacher would want to work.

I haven't delivered a lesson on a board in five years. Even then it was because the electronics were so random. So, really six years.

First school I'd worked at had projectors and plenty of pens.

If the school is struggling to give you markers don't whinge about pay increases. Maybe move to Bangkok and return to civilization.

14 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Yeah, like being heads up enough to know that if the school doesn't have projectors and audio it's definitely no where any clear headed teacher would want to work.

I was thinking more on the lines of how many contact hours, renumeration, class sizes, extra curricular work, demands from heads of department and directors, vicinity to home, holidays and sickness entitlements, visa and extentions and work permits.

In 20 years of teaching I only had multi media for 2 years. I still had a white board and markers. I used them often to explain further what was on the projector. 

I'm a clear headed teacher and always make sure I'm heads up as to a school's requirements and I still prefer whiteboards to projectors.

The use of whiteboards and certainly who buys pens would not even come into conversation when I'm negotiating a contract. 

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 5:54 PM, recom273 said:

I must have been on sub-bottom rung for most of the 12 years then, actually the last schools I worked had chalk boards. I would rather pay for ink refills than go home covered in chalk dust every day.

Totally agree with you on the presentations, in the schools that had projectors or flat screens.

The best writing system I found was this "liquid chalk" pen, on this smooth green board with grid marks, you could write really neatly and it was really clean. This "cool" school I worked at installed all new boards, gave all the teachers one pen, which if you lost, had to pay for a replacement - the thing was the school couldn't get any any refill liquid, so we spent most the first term not being able to write on anything. Classic. 

Back to the OP: I never saw the problem with the whyteboard refills, did the job, the trick is not to put not too much ink in when you refill and use clean syringes instead of the little droppers that always split. 

I even wrote to Pilot about the the refill syringes splitting. They got back to me from the US, but told me it was under the domain of their branch in Japan. In the end I just got a used dropper from the scores of leftover cosmetics and <deleted> that my wife spends an untold fortune on. It does the trick. Yo can also buy them very cheaply at any drug store. I hate just throwing them away after one use. It's just a waste and very bad for the environment. 

I'll not have anyone say a bad word about Pilot whiteboard markers yah hear me???  I have used them for 16 years and they have NEVER let me down!! I remember the days of blackboards and chalk. I breathed in the white devil dust.....I was made to tinker with machines that were beyond my understanding....

Thanks

On 2/3/2014 at 9:13 PM, chiangrai said:

1mm is fine tip and I also see 2mm and presume that's thick but what is the thickest.

Much better for school / uni white boards are the non-permanent pens with 1 cm or 1.5 cm wide tip.

Never seen them on sale in Thailand but bought many times in Singapore, Vietnam, and China. 

Easier to write with and students in the back of the room can easily read the words / understand diagrams etc.

Worth searching for.