Car Battery Price Pattaya

gmac

Anyone know the current price for a replacement car battery? My Honda City needs a new one and I'd like to have a rough idea of what it should cost before I go out and get fleeced!

Thanks. Gives me a bit of an idea anyway. It shouldn't be the case but I hate shopping for anything without knowing the correct price as you always fear being ripped off in this town.

• Like 1

Thanks. Gives me a bit of an idea anyway. It shouldn't be the case but I hate shopping for anything without knowing the correct price as you always fear being ripped off in this town.

why do you lot get ripped off? i have been here for donkeys years and no one rips me or the wife off ,you must shop at the wrong places.

• Like 1

why do you lot get ripped off? i have been here for donkeys years and no one rips me or the wife off ,you must shop at the wrong places.

Funnily enough we don't, something to do with checking prices first before buying. But thanks for your useful input.

Maybe lives and shops on Walking Street for everything. My local battery shop will come out charge my car battery for B100. Every few years when time for a new one, he'll run out and install for the prices I quoted.

Lots of car part shops in sukie between central and south...get quotes at 2-3 of them should give you an hour idea of the correct price.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 2

Thanks again now all done and dusted. Bosch dry cell fitted for 1800 Baht in small shop on Sukhumvit. Honda quoted 2200.

I Claudius, just as a matter of interest, do you know the correct price for every item you ever buy in Pattaya? If not how do you know you haven't been ripped off? I'm happy to show my ignorance on here when buying an unfamiliar item but I guess that just makes me a target for people like you.

• Like 2

Thanks again now all done and dusted. Bosch dry cell fitted for 1800 Baht in small shop on Sukhumvit. Honda quoted 2200.

I Claudius, just as a matter of interest, do you know the correct price for every item you ever buy in Pattaya? If not how do you know you haven't been ripped off? I'm happy to show my ignorance on here when buying an unfamiliar item but I guess that just makes me a target for people like you.

i assume you are British ,well dont you know the average price for stuff there? dont you shop around ? its the same here ,i constantly hear people bleating on about being ripped off ,to be blunt unless you have been here a very short time you must know what things cost, its your homeland now for Gods sake ,

sorry if i go on ,but so many on here come over as dumb.

ps that does not mean you should not ask for advice ,i am just going on about people who constantly go on about being ripped off because they are farangs.

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1

At the independent battery shops, B1500-2000. At Honda dealer, who knows?

You mean the ones that fill it up with plain water instead of the specially

distilled water ?

My ex used to go to those places all the time and than wonder why she

needed a new battery a months later ...

Make sure to watch them, when they fill up the battery ...

luudee

Am I the only person who is automatically suspicious of fairly costly items that are priced in precise 500B or even 100B increments?

When was the last time that you saw items like car batteries in the UK that cost exactly exactly 40GBP? Or exactly 60USD in the states?

No, they cost 38.50GBP or 57.75USD or whatever.

When I had my car serviced here last week the dealer charged me 1123Baht, which seems much more likely than it just happening to be 1500B.

when i went to my normal dealer he advised that out here it is much better to buy a wet battery that you fill yourself with distilled water as they are cheaper and last longer in this climate.

I was advised the same.

By the way its not much use giving a price if you don't also mention the capacity of the battery ie how many amp hours it gives.

normally more amp hours = more expensive dry cell = more expensive deep cycle = even more expensive but not often used on cars/trucks.

distilled water ?

luudee

No not those ones...the other ones :)

I just bought one 3 weeks ago. It was the maintenance free 3G brand and it was 3,100 baht.

Was it one of the sealed batteries? i baught one for my car and it did not last very long despite being quite expensive ,when i went to my normal dealer he advised that out here it is much better to buy a wet battery that you fill yourself with distilled water as they are cheaper and last longer in this climate.

Yep, that's what the battery shop boys have told me too...and the sealed batts are more expensive so it must be true. I think I've read this is true over in the motor-head sub-forum as well and those guys are serious about their tricked-out Vigos and Rangers!

Also, batteries are a replaceable service item here...they only last about 3 years and then need to be replaced.

distilled water ?

luudee

Distilled or De-ionized water is recommended, but tap water will not break any battery in a month time. It can shorten it's life cycle if used all the time, but as someone said already, a battery in this climate lasts only 3 years in the first place.

And yes maintenance free batteries are not recommended in this climate as well

I just replaced the one for my Honda City at the new dealership near the Ambassador. I think it was 1800B. Got a free espresso and car wash. In and out in 45 minutes. Great service and nice, new dealership.

Damn I wonder if I paid over the odds. Mine was a european battery for a 3 litre VVTI engine. It cost 5400 baht. To be fair though the guy delivered the battery to my condo in Na Jomtien and fitted it. And it was bought for me by one of my thai staff. I was also given the choice of three batteries costing from 4,500 to 5,400 baht and I chose the most expensive.

The bottom line to being ripped off is the feeling of being ripped off. I was happy to pay for the battery and service I got, so I don't feel ripped off.

I just replaced the one for my Honda City at the new dealership near the Ambassador. I think it was 1800B. Got a free espresso and car wash. In and out in 45 minutes. Great service and nice, new dealership.

I (now) use one of the other new dealerships near the Ambassador and am delighted to finally be rid of the a*swipe dealers in Pattaya. They wont be seeing me again in this lifetime.

My place near the Ambassador also gives a free car wash with every visit (actually a lot better wash than the ones I pay 180B for in town). Good, quick and polite service but the coffee there is only instant. sad.png

dam_n I wonder if I paid over the odds. Mine was a european battery for a 3 litre VVTI engine. It cost 5400 baht.

You would expect to pay significantly more for a battery for a 3lit engine than for one for a small car. The capacity in AmpHours should be shown on the battery and yours will surely be quite high. Your battery should also be much bigger physically. Import from Europe will also add to the price, as will home delivery/fitting though of course that should still be very reasonable here. Some brand names will also add to the cost as will the ability of the battery to function well in low temperatures, not that you need that here.

I'm not sure that an expensive battery designed for north European weather is necessarily the most suitable type to use here, but maybe they change the spec to suit tropical conditions like the paint manufacturers do.

distilled water ?

luudee

Distilled or De-ionized water is recommended, but tap water will not break any battery in a month time. It can shorten it's life cycle if used all the time, but as someone said already, a battery in this climate lasts only 3 years in the first place.

Distilled water yes. De-ionized water no.

distilled water ?

luudee

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/roadside_assistance/racq_batteries/battery_myths

The water level in my battery is very low and the plates are exposed. Do I just use normal tap water to top up the cells?

FALSE. To replace lost water in batteries use distilled, deionised or demineralised water wherever possible. Using tap water can produce mineral build up that can block the pores and coat the plates of the battery. In an emergency use rain water from a clean container as it doesn’t have the impurities that coat the plates. As a last resort use good quality tap water. If the cell plates have been exposed for any length of time they can dry out and fail. It would be a good idea to recharge and test the battery. It should be noted that batteries which have run out of water and failed are not covered for free replacement under warranty.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/tutorials/caring-for-your-battery.php

If you need to top up the battery levels, make sure you only use de-ionised water. Using tap water will cause mineral build up on the plates and reduce the performance of the battery.

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/roadside_assistance/racq_batteries/battery_myths

The water level in my battery is very low and the plates are exposed. Do I just use normal tap water to top up the cells?

FALSE. To replace lost water in batteries use distilled, deionised or demineralised water wherever possible. Using tap water can produce mineral build up that can block the pores and coat the plates of the battery. In an emergency use rain water from a clean container as it doesn’t have the impurities that coat the plates. As a last resort use good quality tap water. If the cell plates have been exposed for any length of time they can dry out and fail. It would be a good idea to recharge and test the battery. It should be noted that batteries which have run out of water and failed are not covered for free replacement under warranty.

If you need to top up the battery levels, make sure you only use de-ionised water. Using tap water will cause mineral build up on the plates and reduce the performance of the battery.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/000411x17.pdf

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/000411x17.pdf

Where in that article is even the word De-ionised water mentioned ?