Ooredoo and Telenor finally get operators licences

SeaVisionBurma

After months of delays, the path is finally cleared for global Qatari telecommunications provider Ooredoo and Norway-based Telenor to develop a nationwide mobile network in Myanmar after obtaining operators licences from the government, officials said on Thursday.

From The Myanmar Times, by Philip Heijmans and Aung Kyaw Nyunt

Norways-Telenor-and-Qatars-Ooredoo-Win-M

The government announced in June that the two firms had won an international tender to develop and operate a mobile infrastructure in Myanmar, helping to solidify the quasi-civilian regime’s plan to open to the country to foreign investors.
Since then, however, the issuance of an operator’s licence – which would allow the two firms to begin building their multi-billion dollar networks – has been delayed as lawmakers struggled to put a regulatory framework for the telecom sector in place.
On Thursday, the government announced they had finally granted telecommunications licences to both firms, while Telenor and Ooredoo have pledged to launch initial services in cities such as Yangon in the next six to eight months.

Read the full article here: http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/business/9433-ooredoo-telenor-get-licences.html

If I arrive at Yangon airport tomorrow, is there a booth that sells SIM cars? If so, how much are they?

As of 2 weeks ago - no sim cards for sale at the airport in Yangon (you used to be able to get the one-time use $20 MPT sim which was valid for a month)

Shortage of sims now, you can either rent a sim by the day - or buy one downtown but they were going for $150.

Really looking forward to these 2 new operators getting started

Both operators have been laying A LOT of preparatory work behind the scenes pending licence approval, so things should move quite quickly now. I'm hearing rumour of those who bought the special SIM cards for the SEA games having near-enough unlimited data usage; can anyone verify this? And also whether the 4G was either switched on for the games and subsequently switched off?

If I arrive at Yangon airport tomorrow, is there a booth that sells SIM cars? If so, how much are they?

As of 2 weeks ago - no sim cards for sale at the airport in Yangon (you used to be able to get the one-time use $20 MPT sim which was valid for a month)

Shortage of sims now, you can either rent a sim by the day - or buy one downtown but they were going for $150.

How much to rent a SIM by the day at the airport? I'll stay for five days.

Where to top-up in the city? (I don't think they have 7-eleven there, do they?)

How much to rent a SIM by the day at the airport? I'll stay for five days.

Where to top-up in the city? (I don't think they have 7-eleven there, do they?)

Around $7 a day for the rental sims AFAIK (I haven't rented one before, just going on info received)

Top up can be done at most mobile shops down town.