US winds down resettlement program on Thailand border

SeaVisionBurma

The US State Department began the process of winding down its resettlement program for refugees on the Thai-Myanmar border last week, leaving an estimated 120,000 refugees, mostly Karenni, with an uncertain future.

From The Myanmar Times by Bill O'Toole

map_of_myanmar.jpg

The State Department originally announced its intention to end the program in January 2013. Since the program began in 2005, the department, working with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), has sent more 73,000 displaced civilians to the United States for resettlement.
The closing of the program has sparked outrage among Karenni civil society groups, which say the US and UN are leaving thousands of refugees out in the cold.
“The US government should wait until the peace process is stable and reform is guaranteed,” said Saw Alex Hto, the deputy director of the Karen Environmental and Social Action Network.

73,000 displaced persons resettled in the US and the thanks is an expression of outrage that the program

is coming to an end. There's gratitude for you. Ridiculous.

Tell that to the 120,000 people who will be left behind. You guys give a small rise, and then don't finish the job, and expect a pat on the back? The US may have their own reasons for stopping the program, and I won't question that, but where is continuity or sustainability? Alternatives to leaving 120,000 people high and dry? If you can't finish the job properly, then don't do it at all, perhaps?

• Like 1

There should be some difference between humanitarian imperative and business on humanitarian issues :( the taxpayers to USG are the occupy wall street and street people not those corporation who are setting the agenda in the first place... would they come up with another up rise with lots of suffering when needed?

73,000 displaced persons resettled in the US and the thanks is an expression of outrage that the program

Tell that to the 120,000 people who will be left behind. You guys give a small rise, and then don't finish the job, and expect a pat on the back? The US may have their own reasons for stopping the program, and I won't question that, but where is continuity or sustainability? Alternatives to leaving 120,000 people high and dry? If you can't finish the job properly, then don't do it at all, perhaps?

Nothing you said makes sense. Then the 73000 people should just be sent back? The number I'm sure increased when people found out they could get a free ride to the USA. I don't think they would be high and dry if YOUR country would chip in a little. It just goes to show that no matter what the USA does to help it is never enough for some people.

• Like 2

Typical knee jerk reaction to a policy that had good intentions, but had not met the wild expectations of the beneficiaries.

As always, we will be called the bad guys.

Sometimes I need to sit back and smile, as I sip my morning coffee, and wonder why America even bothers trying to help anyone at all. We only get rotten eggs thrown at us anyways.

Let us hope some other Nation picks up where we left off. I would love to throw some eggs back.

just like Justin Bieber...

You need to go to the back of the classroom with the rest of the guys I keep telling to <deleted>.

Where the heck was your contribution..other than to bitch.

• Like 1

Nothing you said makes sense. Then the 73000 people should just be sent back? The number I'm sure increased when people found out they could get a free ride to the USA. I don't think they would be high and dry if YOUR country would chip in a little. It just goes to show that no matter what the USA does to help it is never enough for some people.

Typical response from the 'Captain America' brigade... *yawn*... on your merry way now boys. Cheers.

You need to go to the back of the classroom with the rest of the guys I keep telling to <deleted>.

And that goes to you too lobster.

Edited by outsider

Typical response from the 'Captain America' brigade... *yawn*... on your merry way now boys. Cheers.

And that goes to you too lobster.

Seems nobody has the "yawn" adrenaline kick they used to get from bashing American Policies, as they weasel their way back to the safe haven of beerland and gaga ladies.

Typical knee jerk reaction to a policy that had good intentions, but had not met the wild expectations of the beneficiaries.

As always, we will be called the bad guys.

Sometimes I need to sit back and smile, as I sip my morning coffee, and wonder why America even bothers trying to help anyone at all. We only get rotten eggs thrown at us anyways.

Let us hope some other Nation picks up where we left off. I would love to throw some eggs back.

just like Justin Bieber...

Please understand that I'm not being negative toward the US government but only trying speculate on why people might not compliment them for this type of effort. I think it has a lot to do with trust. There are great numbers of people who are sure that the USG concocted the "weapons of mass destruction" situation in Iraq to justify getting a strong hold in the Middle east, mainly to keep a future supply of oil coming and to control as much oil as they can in that region of the world. Actually, there are also substantial numbers who think that 9/11 was more than accommodated by the USG to create greater justification to increase military involvement in the Middle east.

Like I said, I'm not trying to accuse the USG of these crimes but only to point out that a lot of people have the attitude that the USG does nothing without an ulterior motive that serves its own interests.

Edited by Brevity

Just another stab in the back on a long list of USG back stabs throughout history.

Out of interest why are you making that statement? Did a brief look & it appears the major stumbling block is the Thai government policy of refusing UNHCR access to the refugee camps so the refugees can be registered for processing. Are you saying the 'flirtation' between the US & Burma governments is an example of hypocrisy concerning human rights issues in Burma, as more to do with the 'Pivot to Asia' to address US regional commercial/security concerns.

Genuine question/s and look forward to your reply.

EDIT: Were the Burmese ethnic groups promised removal to the US in recognition of the efforts for fighting against communist forces?

Edited by simple1

Just another stab in the back on a long list of USG back stabs throughout history.

Out of interest why are you making that statement? Did a brief look & it appears the major stumbling block is the Thai government policy of refusing UNHCR access to the refugee camps so the refugees can be registered for processing. Are you saying the 'flirtation' between the US & Burma governments is an example of hypocrisy concerning human rights issues in Burma, as more to do with the 'Pivot to Asia' to address US regional commercial/security concerns.

EDIT: Were the Burmese ethnic groups promised removal to the US in recognition of the efforts for fighting against communist forces?

The main bang of my statement begins with the Marsh Arabs in Iraq after Gulf War One.

They were promised aid from the USG and some were promised resettlement. The aid

never arrived and none were resettled and....Saddam Hussein's henchmen came in and

killed thousands then buried them in mass graves...perhaps more than thousands were killed

as these Marsh Arabs detested Saddam and were a united force against his regime...all

they needed was support from the USG to overthrow him but that support never arrived

and they were wiped out. President Bush (first one) publicly stated that aid would be sent

then a short while later he reneged.

Then there was the Japanese American internment during WWII....Google that. Although

it was out of hatred for what happened at Pearl Harbour only a tiny handfull of those interred

were of any threat...the majority of those interned were hard working US citizens.

There's more info available & i'm not gonna write a thesis here but if you search around a bit

you'll find a heap of back stabs the USG has perpetrated upon other nationalities.

I'll PM you about the Burma stuff in a while.

The main bang of my statement begins with the Marsh Arabs in Iraq after Gulf War One. They were promised aid from the USG and some were promised resettlement. The aid never arrived and none were resettled and....Saddam Hussein's henchmen came in and killed thousands then buried them in mass graves...perhaps more than thousands were killed as these Marsh Arabs detested Saddam and were a united force against his regime...all they needed was support from the USG to overthrow him but that support never arrived and they were wiped out. President Bush (first one) publicly stated that aid would be sent then a short while later he reneged.

Then there was the Japanese American internment during WWII....Google that. Although it was out of hatred for what happened at Pearl Harbour only a tiny handfull of those interred were of any threat...the majority of those interned were hard working US citizens. There's more info available & i'm not gonna write a thesis here but if you search around a bit you'll find a heap of back stabs the USG has perpetrated upon other nationalities.

I'll PM you about the Burma stuff in a while.

Mods off topic but hope you will permit a response.

Thanks. Well aware of what happened to the Marsh Arabs and the Shia in the Basra area who were also killed in their thousands after USG encouraged them to revolt; when push came to shove, no support. After GW11 relocation for Iraqis who assisted US forces has proceded at snails pace with their and families lives under constant threat. Congress were due to allocate more funding 01/2014; did this get passed?

Look forward to your PM

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1