Can I Save My Mango Tree?

I bought this tree a week ago and it's dying. I planted it in planting soil(din plook) mixed with cow poo and some coconut skin and some mixed soil(din prasom)

My wife put heaps of cow poo on it over the next few days.

Can it be saved and if so what to do?

post-11421-0-76368800-1391515969_thumb.j

I think it is a goner but if it were mine; I would take it out of the soil check the roots for rot or other damage;

Wash them carefully, check the graft as well, clean up/ remove the cow manure, if you put any other fertilizer; dig the soil out replace it with new plain potting soil.

Before replanting it, cut the tree down to about 12" above the graft, trim short any remaining branches, protect from full sun for a while.

If it is still alive, it will sprout again.

Good luck

Edited by soidog2
  • Like 2

Would agree with the advice given so far.... get some material and cover the tree to protect it from full sun, for a while... shade cloth or even an old sheet.... spray the foliage with water a few times a day....(just a quick spray is enough) there is not enough root to pull up moisture from the ground.... so one needs to compensate for that...for a few months.... . It will look terrible, but should help! thumbsup.gif

It also looks like the in red string tied around the base of the try, you should make sure to cut that off, or the tree will be girdled in a few years, if it does survive ..... I suspect it will start producing new foliage, if you follow advice!

The manure was probably not a good idea at planting stage! wink.pngw00t.gif

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's a goner but I just saw your recommendations(thanks) and will give it a go.

I hope not too late, but don't give up too quickly, it still might come.... (follow above advice! .... a little tedious I know) ..... Scrap a bit of the bark with your thumb nail, if green under neath .... there might be hope !

If it is a goner wait until your next rainy season starts, and try again then! (not knowing what area you are, make it hard to tell when that will be, but assuming you are in the northern area of Thailand...wink.png ... not same same as down south! smile.png