Renting a bike (moped) in Hua Hin

angsta

You are probably better off renting one from the hotel or guest house that yiu are staying in, if that is not possible then go for one that has lots of bikes and has been in business for a long time.

There are a few scams when it comes to motorcycle hire so just be careful who you use.

Also check your travel insurance because many policies don't cover you for motor cycle accident and as far as I know none will cover you if you don't at least have a motorcycle licence in your home country.

Many also require an international driving permit as well.

And then state that you must only hire from a registered vehicle hire company.

There are many trap and risks in hiring motorcycle in Thailand and almost no body who hires the bikes gives a shit about that stuff and just wants the money until you have an accident or the bike gets stolen and then the big problems start.

Motorcycle accident is the number one cause of death and injury for tourist in Thailand so just be aware of the risk.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Boy and Boom right behind the temple in the nightlife area. They haveabout 85 bikes in all.

Get the IDP, the cops know it and wave you on when they see it unless you are without helmet or have committed an infraction. If you don't have it they have a perfectly valid reason to access your wallet.

Try cha-am rentals (also in Hua Hin soi 94): http://cha-am-rentals.com

English owner called Alan. All his bikes are well maintained. 200 baht a day, or less for longer. I wouldn't rent from a bar or guesthouse as they tend to be poorly maintained and serviced.

Even with the IDP you might be fined, I was when I first came 4 years ago. You can get a Thai license in less than an hour if you have the IDP.

English owner called Alan. All his bikes are well maintained. 200 baht a day, or less for longer. I wouldn't rent from a bar or guesthouse as they tend to be poorly maintained and serviced.

Even with the IDP you might be fined, I was when I first came 4 years ago. You can get a Thai license in less than an hour if you have the IDP.

Sounds good. Cheers.

Are there many Police check points?

Sounds good. Cheers.

Not that many. There's sometimes one on petchkasem road on the way to Market Village, perhaps once a month. I've only ever been stopped in one or two other place in Hua Hin in 4 years and waved on when I show the Thai license.

You never know where the cops are going to pop up. Near the school just north of Market Village is popular probably because the sheer number of motorists is going to yield a steady stream of helmetless and IDP-less riders.

The police boxacross from the tessabaan is another one, they sit in the box scanning the intersection. I got pulled over for having the front wheel about 6" over the pedestrian crossing line.

Another spot is where soi 58 joins soi 56 just east of the train tracks, you only see them when you come around the bend.

They seem to be most active the last 5-6 days of the month as they come up on their monthly requirements.

You never know where the cops are going to pop up.

well in hua hin its pretty easy to guess where they will be.

their favourite spots are on the main road near market village next to family mart and on the opposite side of the road.

also near the Rocco Condo chain opposite bangkok hospital.

they also used to hide at the U turn towards Kao Takiap (that one was more fun as once you could see them it was already too late)

last few years they liked to sit on soi 94 and next to the motorbike shop there.

and the last one i know of is the side road towards hilton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i live in HH. I get stopped almost every time I go into town on certain days if I don't avoid the police check points. the checkpoint is near the front exit of Market Village Mall going north, and sometimes on the other side of the street, going south. there are others. Sometimes at the traffic circle in front of the train station.

you need a international drivers or a Thai license and a helmet for you and your passenger. I used my IDL many, many times at checkpoints in HH, no problem and no problem of course with Thai license.

they look for white people, tourists and sometimes even Thais. smile.png

be polite and smile if you get caught for not having a helmet or IDL, because you are in the wrong. it is only 200-400 baht, be happy that you are on your way.

make sure you carry 400 baht in small cash. like four 100 baht bills so you don't have to ask for change.

they are also enforcing drunk driving now in the weekend evenings. soi 94 area and cross streets.

2000 baht or more. smile.png

please be careful crossing the main street that runs north/south through town. both on foot or with a scooter.

pay attention to the one way streets exiting soi binabaht bar area. they will ticket you for that.

don't leave your passport with the scooter people. give them a copy and a deposit instead.

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

You never know where the cops are going to pop up.

well in hua hin its pretty easy to guess where they will be.

their favourite spots are on the main road near market village next to family mart and on the opposite side of the road.

also near the Rocco Condo chain opposite bangkok hospital.

they also used to hide at the U turn towards Kao Takiap (that one was more fun as once you could see them it was already too late)

last few years they liked to sit on soi 94 and next to the motorbike shop there.

and the last one i know of is the side road towards hilton.

They've got me a couple of times by being sneaky and hanging out down quiet side roads. One time they were waiting on the side road that comes off of Phetkasem Rd before the Esso petrol station coming into HH. Another time they were waiting on the side road that if you are heading from say The Grand Market again down Phetkasem, you can turn right down a side road that heads towards the beach and bar district. They were waiting halfway down there.

They used to like the round about near the train station as well and they do set up a check point on the road around the Elephant Village and Bannsillipin from time to time.

• 3 months later...

I was stopped twice at Police Checkpoints in a 3 month period riding a scooter.

All times I always I have helmet (gloves too), home country licence, and IDP.

Both times I showed Licence and IDP, and was on my way. If I did not have IDP, I have a feeling the wallet would be a little lighter.

I've seen them at the busy spots at busy times, just off main road(s).

1st) The roundabout in front of that G Supermarket, where the railway tracks are. Believe thats Soi 70.

Was 3-4+ officers, team effort pulling people over.

2nd) In front of the police station across from Post Office going into Centara. Was flagged to pull over, single officer.

As stated by another, if you dont have helmet, domestic + IDP/Thai licence, expect and deserve to get anything that happens.

Good luck.

Sounds good. Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Archived