'Five-Star Tony,' well-known homeless foreigner of Pattaya, 44, dies

webfact

'Five-Star Tony,' well-known homeless foreigner of Pattaya, 44
By Coconuts Bangkok

tony.jpg?itok=mwNlgqU_

Photo: Camille Gazeau

BANGKOK: -- A homeless Dutch national who was well-known in the Pattaya community he called home for nearly two decades has died, according to a message from his church.

Known as "Five-Star Tony" for his distinctive facial tattoo, the man said he'd lived on the streets for about three years and was featured here recently in a photo essay on homeless foreigners.

"It is with shock and sadness that we write to you to inform you that Tony, also fondly known as '5 Star Tony,' has passed away suddenly," according to the message from Encounter Church. "Tony was a[n] amazing character at our church and also in our lifegroups." Tony said he was 44 when interviewed in November.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/05/five-star-tony-well-known-homeless-foreigner-pattaya-44

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-05

RIP

Amazes me how many lose the plot - go home and get your sh*te together. 44 and drank himself to death. (very sad)

Maybe

It was

Someone he cared about...

or

Something he cared about...

That sent him down that road

It is just a shame that people who knew him.....couldn't guide him back to a better way of life...

difficult for sure....but well worth a try....because when someone is really down....they need help finding the way back

I hope those who knew him give him a proper "send off"

RIP

• Like 1

RIP 5 star, at last.

I would be interested to know why he was homeless, after all he must have had funds otherwise he could not get a visa, so he would be living here illegally. Why is it that he was not stopped and checked, and arrested and deported. Or is this business of visas, funds etc all boll@cks as no one gives a shit anyway? We all jump thru hoops to remain legally here, why bother, when you can doss on the streets with impunity.

• Like 1

on a side note, why do the BiB not take action on a farang living on the streets for 3 years?

wouldn't deportation be in the deceased best interest?

in any case, RIP 5 stars..

Bib not interested unless pockets are being filled

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

never seen him ,never heard his name .....never went to church.

Drank himself to death .....nothing special on that ,hundreds do that in Pattaya .

Maby it was the guy on the funny bicycle? (whit the flags and stuff?)

Been here only 10 years .

Red Snake, on 05 Feb 2014 - 17:57, said:
davejones, on 05 Feb 2014 - 17:53, said:
Red Snake, on 05 Feb 2014 - 17:24, said:

He just died, no cause of death?

Yes, there was a cause of death, but nothing to do with you.

Why not just say you don't know either instead of the stupid remark

Sounds like Dave is another smart a... farang who is full of himself

i wonder where he got those shiny RED EYES

and how come he never got deported ?

To bad many come to Thailand and loose the plod...excessive alcohol consumption doesn't help. Why not deport him...if living on the streets, do you think he had the funds for a ticket to Amsterdam. So why arrest him and put his upkeep on the Thai taxpayer...better to just let him be (and he others similarly situated).

Just goes beyond me that adult responsible men prefer to live as vagrants on the streets, watching others enjoy themselves and hoping to get a bit of sympathy, instead of going back home ?

Guess back home they must have nothing too ? Sad waste of life...!

• Like 1

on a side note, why do the BiB not take action on a farang living on the streets for 3 years?

What laws has he broken to warrant deportation?? We don't know how much money he carried in his pocket, even a hundred baht is enough to live on for a day. He had faith in somthing most of us don't, and it carried him along for 3 years until his body protested.... and he died. It was his time to go and we should all be so lucky to be able to determine how we take that road to..........???thumbsup.gif

RIP Tony

• Like 1

Are you that naive . Let me answer your questions in one ... dollars in pockets

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The all knowing farang. If he could afford to put "dollars in pockets" why was he homeless?

I have never been asked to pay a bribe here in 8 years. Once , when stopped for speeding the officer came over to my car, saw my baby son crying on my wife's lap and my look of resignation, smiled and just said "OK forget it, but slow down a bit".

How exactly could the police deport him? That would require paying for an air ticket, which is certainly not something in their mandate or in their budget. Embassies are usually informed about cases like this and quite often they contact family back home. Generally families refuse or are unable to help and embassies don't feel obliged to do anything.

The police, quite sensibly, realize there's no point putting him in jail and left him to his own devices, for which I think they should be praised. If family and embassies can't be bothered to do anything, why would you blame the police?

Maybe those on TV who think people like him deserve charitable assistance and free airfare should pass the hat ... although I doubt that would ever off the ground. So much easier to whine and moan about others.

Amazingly pointless, childish comment from someone just parroting other childish comments he's read here.

• Like 1

What laws has he broken to warrant deportation?? We don't know how much money he carried in his pocket, even a hundred baht is enough to live on for a day. He had faith in somthing most of us don't, and it carried him along for 3 years until his body protested.... and he died. It was his time to go and we should all be so lucky to be able to determine how we take that road to..........???thumbsup.gif

RIP Tony

Do you really think he had a valid extension of stay or visa? Of course, he might have tried for the ever popular ed visa.

Edited by Suradit69

IMO the police can actually arrest him send him to IDC and there he will stay till somebody gets him a ticket home.

Last year a French woman here got arrested for vagrancy, she went through the wheels of justice and eventually ended up in IDC BKK, no idea if anybody has paid her ticket yet ?

I have very little sympathy for characters like those in the article. They might have had some bad luck.....usually brought on by their own actions,.... but to keep on bummin' around, nah shows of little self respect and low class.

Edited by likewise
  • Like 1

As sad or disconcerting these stories may be, I'd rather be homeless there in Thailand, than here where I am. Weather alone would dictate this. I'd love to be able to come work in Thailand, as I age the arthritis alone is telling me what kind of life I am going to be facing in my 50's and 60's. But if I couldn't work, I'd life as best as I could with out the substance abuse.

Are you that naive . Let me answer your questions in one ... dollars in pockets

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The all knowing farang. If he could afford to put "dollars in pockets" why was he homeless?

I have never been asked to pay a bribe here in 8 years. Once , when stopped for speeding the officer came over to my car, saw my baby son crying on my wife's lap and my look of resignation, smiled and just said "OK forget it, but slow down a bit".

How exactly could the police deport him? That would require paying for an air ticket, which is certainly not something in their mandate or in their budget. Embassies are usually informed about cases like this and quite often they contact family back home. Generally families refuse or are unable to help and embassies don't feel obliged to do anything.

The police, quite sensibly, realize there's no point putting him in jail and left him to his own devices, for which I think they should be praised. If family and embassies can't be bothered to do anything, why would you blame the police?

Maybe those on TV who think people like him deserve charitable assistance and free airfare should pass the hat ... although I doubt that would ever off the ground. So much easier to whine and moan about others.

Amazingly pointless, childish comment from someone just parroting other childish comments he's read here.

Your a clown, someone asked a question and I gave viable answer. Go away back to sitting on your 7/11 step