A Bread Machine

MeatBloke

Hi guys,

I would like to start making my own bread and I decided to buy this machine. I've seen a lot of talk about this subject here and on some other forums, but to be honest I haven't noticed a single post about this machine in particular, which I set my mind on. The only review I found is this, and they seem fascinated by it, but I would very much appreciate an opinion from someone who actually USED this bread maker.

And one more question on this topic - when purchasing a bread maker, what should I look for; what features?

Thanks people very much :)

If you live in Phuket you can borrow mine (breadmaker).

And if you like it, you can buy it.

I used it about 10 times. The bread was eatable, but not as good as I expected.

Then I got tired of trying,

Now I found a bread at Villa market. It's called "Pain d'Antan". The best I found so far.

• Like 1

As for what to look for---What types of bread are you planning on making? Multiple settings for different types of bread if you are planning on making heavier doughs(wheat). You need to look at the capacity. I used to make many different tyes of bread by hand back home. Now I use the bread machine just for mixing the dough and the first raise...then after the final raise, I bake in the oven. Mine does a very good job of mixing the dough. I have found all recipes need more flour added due to the high humidity here.

• Like 1

I was also thinking of making my own bread." Bread Makers " are quite expensive here in Thailand as there just is not the demand for them! ( the average seems to cost around 6,000 baht ) I have a friend who bought a cheap one in Europe for under 50 euros and it makes absolutely fantastic bread!! The great thing is experimenting with new ideas! I don't really eat a lot of bread but the problem is that when you make your own bread you end up " eating the whole loaf " for breakfast! ( " bloody delicious " ...)

Marcus w00t.gif

I just use my Kenwood to make the dough, seems to do a good job of that. I stopped using it to make bread after about 6 attempts using recipes from the booklet, pretty useless, I couldn't work out the difference between teaspoonfuls and tablespoons, as the instructions weren't in English but French. I just ake recipes off the internet.I would invest in a dough maker, available in Makro if I were to spend ฿7000.- on bread making again.

Anyway I have made pizza shells, focacchia, bagels and all sorts of breads in the gas oven.

IMHO and after many years of bread making. You cannot make good bread (and I don't mean the supermarket crap) in a machine.

You need a pair of these

attachicon.giftwo_hands.jpg

and one of these

attachicon.gif$_35.JPG

Ditto from me on the oven

post-97442-0-14143400-1391741163_thumb.j

But rather than the bread machine, go for a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. More flexible, less cost and you can buy them easily in Thailand. Lazada is a good option, especially if you're in 'back of beyond' land

post-97442-0-43690800-1391741307_thumb.j

I'm thinking we need a pinned Bread Making topic. Crops up all the time, and the bread makers amongst us share a lot of good info and recipes which are a resource for newbies

I don't think I will bother buying another bread machine again. I would rather put the money towards a good stand mixer as that will mix the dough if I need it and also make pastry and cake mixes too. I have a cheap stand mixer that cost about 1,300 baht but the motor isn't powerful enough and starts to smoke if I overload it.

Good idea about the Bread Making topic especially if pastry and cake making are in there too. We need to contact the mods who run it but I know not who they are, yet.

I'm thinking we need a pinned Bread Making topic. Crops up all the time, and the bread makers amongst us share a lot of good info and recipes which are a resource for newbies

I don't think I will bother buying another bread machine again. I would rather put the money towards a good stand mixer as that will mix the dough if I need it and also make pastry and cake mixes too. I have a cheap stand mixer that cost about 1,300 baht but the motor isn't powerful enough and starts to smoke if I overload it.

Good idea about the Bread Making topic especially if pastry and cake making are in there too. We need to contact the mods who run it but I know not who they are, yet.

Hmmm, good question about who the mods are in this room. Unlike some of the, how shall I put this politely, 'animated' forums, moderators don't need to come out of the woodwork very often. When was the last time you heard cursing and cussing over someone's opinion of cupcake recipes??? LOL

Mods. if you're out there, how DO we start a pinned topic?

Edited by GinBoy2

No need for a big oven, this Otto at 950bht, will do the job just as well.

post-176974-0-20473700-1391852159_thumb.

Not to mention baking supplies from YOK.

Strong White flour 32bht/kg (1 loaf uses 700gm flour)

Fermipan Red Yeast 100bht/Kg (yeast for bread with low/no sugar, lasts a loooong time)

700gm flour + 15gm yeast + 300gm water + pinch salt = 1 white loaf.

Mix it all together

Kneading time 10 mins

Rising time, 1 hour in the sun

fold into greased loaf tin, rising time 30 mins.

cook at 240c for 10 mins, reduce to 200c for 25 mins (empty out of tin and cook upside down for last 10mins)

dead easy

(I usually cook scones or shortbread while waiting for the first rise)

Edited by FiftyTwo

I was also thinking of making my own bread." Bread Makers " are quite expensive here in Thailand as there just is not the demand for them! ( the average seems to cost around 6,000 baht ) I have a friend who bought a cheap one in Europe for under 50 euros and it makes absolutely fantastic bread!! The great thing is experimenting with new ideas! I don't really eat a lot of bread but the problem is that when you make your own bread you end up " eating the whole loaf " for breakfast! ( " bloody delicious " ...)

Marcus w00t.gif

I also have the problem that it's really only me that eats fresh baked bread. Wife wont touch the stuff and my sons (philistines that they are) prefer the gooey white crap from the supermarket. What I do is when I bake a loaf, after cooling I always cut it in half and freeze one half. Saves me from either pigging out on it, and I certainly could, or run the risk of it going stale before I finish it

Marcus w00t.gif

I also have the problem that it's really only me that eats fresh baked bread. Wife wont touch the stuff and my sons (philistines that they are) prefer the gooey white crap from the supermarket. What I do is when I bake a loaf, after cooling I always cut it in half and freeze one half. Saves me from either pigging out on it, and I certainly could, or run the risk of it going stale before I finish it

When cold

Put in a carrier bag, store in the fridge.

Lasts over a week.

• 3 months later...

I used to have a bread machine but don't eat that much bread so I sold it. For those who are trying one for the first time, it takes a while to get used to them. Remember to use bread (strong) flour and the only type you can get in Thailand (apart from one or two expensive ready mixes) is strong white flour - so you need to mix other flours to get whole wheat or rye etc and these make the mixture less strong. When you have mastered the ingredients (make sure the yeast is active before using it), the bread is quite edible. However, I still swear by Tops bread and some breads in Villa because they bake on site and are always fresh. I do rate Tops bakery for bread and some other pastries, but not all.

I do agree we need a bread and pastry sub forum. I'm a baking addict, especially shortcrust pastries.