How to get rid of this "thing" that has invaded my lawn...

I want to add that if there is a company near Rayong (BanPhe) area that can provide lawn care (aeration etc.) I would be interested to get a quote. Lawn area about 550m2 with few trees etc.

Edited by FinChin67

"How to get rid of this thing that invaded our forum."tongue.png

Wrong place for this.

(Try a couple of tethered goats. Then eat them. That might work in the farming forum. smile.png )

Regards,

Best reply ever for GTFO... I do apologize sincerely.

However, I do not like goats so I'm going to spam this forum for one (or two) more posts.

I need to get rid of this Sugar Honey Ice Tea or I go bonkers. That's what you most likely wish so let's see what will happen but thank you.

I would be most thankful if you can guide me to the right area in this forum. No, I know what you're thinking of, not those areas.

"How to get rid of this thing that invaded our forum."tongue.png

Wrong place for this.

(Try a couple of tethered goats. Then eat them. That might work in the farming forum. smile.png )

Regards,

Best reply ever for GTFO... I do apologize sincerely.

However, I do not like goats so I'm going to spam this forum for one (or two) more posts.

I need to get rid of this Sugar Honey Ice Tea or I go bonkers. That's what you most likely wish so let's see what will happen but thank you.

I would be most thankful if you can guide me to the right area in this forum. No, I know what you're thinking of, not those areas.

Yes, that was not a good response from Teletiger....sad.pngbah.giftongue.png

I was waiting to see your new images, of the weed looking a little fresher, also what it looks like in the lawn. It looks like a perennial weed, which would be difficult to deal with, if mixed in the lawn grass.... post some better images and we'll go from there...

Be a little more descriptive... if you can as to whether these roots are growing close to surface, or whether you dug down to dig them out... ...

Perhaps one of the Mods could move to Kitchen Garden section? or here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/354759-gardening-on-the-islands/

Perhaps one of those would be a better spot?

Edited by samuijimmy

Firstly, this weed did not ruin your lawn. You decided to create a lawn in this weeds natural environment, so don;t blame the weed.

Anyway, I would suggest "Roundup" You paint or spray it on one leaf for each weed, this poison then travels back through the plant and kills it at the root.

• Like 1

Firstly, this weed did not ruin your lawn. You decided to create a lawn in this weeds natural environment, so don;t blame the weed.

Anyway, I would suggest "Roundup" You paint or spray it on one leaf for each weed, this poison then travels back through the plant and kills it at the root.

Thais know it as Glyphosate or just Glypho.

Regards.

• Like 1

Thais know it as Glyphosate or just Glypho.

Regards.

Now that's more helpful tongue.pngthumbsup.gif and, I like Thai, answer too! ...

Just make sure it is not about to seed, because the Glyphosate, takes about 10 days to work, if the plant seeds, the problem will persist! facepalm.gif

It could be a tedious process, painting it on... depending on how much weed there is ! .(wear rubber gloves when doing it too! )

Would be interesting if the OP would post better images! wink.png

This is what a Glyphosate bottle, looks like.... Make sure to dilute correctly! ...

2013-05-26-712.jpg

Edited by samuijimmy

Tricky to tell from the OP photos. But this sounds like "Lippia". If so, Lippia has small white clover-like flowers. It is grown in some countries as an alternative to lawn. But it is invasive and out-competes most other vegetation. Deep tap root with spreading shoots. I had it in a lawn in Australia. Hand-digging the main tap roots, followed by Roundup was the only remedy. I would not dilute the Roundup but apply the concentrate carefully to individual leaves with a paint brush (time consuming). It seems that the water made the plant grow more than the killing effect of Roundup.

First of all, a big Thank You for everyone replying and helping with this.

I have attached few more photos. I believe it is similar to "Prostrate Spurge" or something?

It has spread wide all over the lawn and unfortunately many have seeded and smaller ones are growing rapidly.

I would say the longest roots have been about 20cm that I pulled out.

I hope these images help.

I worry a little about using roundup as I have the fresh water well right there too.

Hand digging (hire an army of Thais) and then roundup as suggested anyways?

post-201482-0-71801300-1391844791_thumb.

post-201482-0-10942700-1391844795_thumb.

post-201482-0-46733100-1391844797_thumb.

post-201482-0-13097300-1391844800_thumb.

• Like 1

I have tried vinegar with lemon juice mix a few times over the years...on weeds, and never had good or satisfactory results .... ( they sell it pre-bottled in Canada)

Salt alone will kill most things... (including grass) but make sure if you try it to flush the area a day or two afterwards... (I do not really recommend for larger areas and certainly not near desirable plants)

Round up if used in correct dilution rate, has no residual effect in soil... It is sold in two strengths here...(Blue or red cap, if I remember, one has less water mixed in the bottle) best to get a Thai to translate, the label, for mixing instructions!

If you have a large area to do, best to perhaps let sit for several weeks and see what seeds from the weed come up... (water so the seedling germinate and grow and pull out while still young!)

You can always plant plugs of new grass to fill in the bare spots.... it usually does not take long to fill in again ...

I am not familiar with this weed, but it could be like Couch grass, and every small piece of broken root may grow... (?) This will not be a quick and easy fix, but as I said before, do not allow plants to flower and seed!!wink.png

I have that prickly sensitive plant growing in my lawn, even after six months, I am still trying to get rid of it... bah.gifsad.png

Edited by samuijimmy

I have tried vinegar with lemon juice mix a few times over the years...on weeds, and never had good or satisfactory results .... ( they sell it pre-bottled in Canada)

Salt alone will kill most things... (including grass) but make sure if you try it to flush the area a day or two afterwards... (I do not really recommend for larger areas and certainly not near desirable plants)

Round up if used in correct dilution rate, has no residual effect in soil... It is sold in two strengths here...(Blue or red cap, if I remember, one has less water mixed in the bottle) best to get a Thai to translate, the label, for mixing instructions!

If you have a large area to do, best to perhaps let sit for several weeks and see what seeds from the weed come up... (water so the seedling germinate and grow and pull out while still young!)

You can always plant plugs of new grass to fill in the bare spots.... it usually does not take long to fill in again ...

I am not familiar with this weed, but it could be like Couch grass, and every small piece of broken root may grow... (?) This will not be a quick and easy fix, but as I said before, do not allow plants to flower and seed!!wink.png

I have that prickly sensitive plant growing in my lawn, even after six months, I am still trying to get rid of it... bah.gifsad.png

Thank you! I am tempted to try the vinegar mix (they have few different versions) on the driveway between tiles to see if it works. I think I can't try it on the lawn as I do not want to kill the grass.

I am now tempted to go the roundup way by first pulling out the big ones manually that I can find and then use roundup on those spots to prevent the seeds, if any, to germinate.

There's a fresh water well that is used for drinking water which I am a little worried about if I use any kind of poison. I am just maybe a little too paranoid about this..whistling.gif

The problem with this lawn has been that nobody took care of it for a long time and you can see it. I am trying to find a company now here that could do this but it seems to be not an easy task either.

I just found out about this forum and maybe I will find help on this too.

Oh, you're right. Even the broken root will grow.. actually, it seems that ANY tiny piece of it will growbah.gif . Evolution got something right with this weeds survival mechanism rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I am now tempted to go the roundup way by first pulling out the big ones manually that I can find and then use roundup on those spots to prevent the seeds, if any, to germinate.

From what I have read about glyphosate, it will not prevent seeds from germinating. Contact with soil nullifies the effect of glyphosate.

There is a product sold in the US called Weedmaster and it contains 10.3% dicamba. It will kill any broad leaf plant I've encountered but it won't hurt grass. I spray it on my lawn once a year and it does have a residual effect and I never have any weeds.

At that strength, it is to be diluted 1 ounce per gallon of water and it is cheap to buy and use. I think I pay US$60 for 2.5 gallons (300 ounces) so I get 300 ounces (1,100 liters) to spray for just $60 (2,000 baht.) They do sell it in smaller amounts but I buy enough to last 2 or 3 years.

It must be pretty safe because farmers spray it on grass crops such as wheat, and the instructions say you can put cattle or other animals back into a pasture 1 hour after you spray.

If you could find that chemical in Thailand, your troubles would be over.

PS I spray almost a rai every year so you don't need nearly as much as I buy.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

From what I have read about glyphosate, it will not prevent seeds from germinating. Contact with soil nullifies the effect of glyphosate.

Yes correct.... it is not a soil sterilizer! That is why time is needed to let seed to germinate, if weeds have flowered and seeded themselves the seed will germinate and the cycle starts again.... wink.png ...

It's why too, that spraying Round up on general weeds wild grass etc, it should be done after the area has been cut back before applying... not when plants/ weeds are at the seeding stage... but it must be done, that it is sprayed on green growth, therefore if the weeds are cut too short, it will not work... it's a case of catching them after new weed growth has started ...

The vinegar mix will not be a sterilizer either, but to the OP.... give that a try! wink.png Let us know~!

Edited by samuijimmy

Thank you for all these replies. This is a big help as it is difficult to get any (at least where I am) proper advise from anyone.

I'm going to buy roundup today and start the battle. I will follow all the advise that I got from here and I'll post an update how these things work, both roundup and vinegar mix if anyone is interested.

I do not believe Weedmaster is available in Thailand (quick search did not bring any results).

Edited by FinChin67

I just finished weeding my flower garden and I always have a few of these in there, very difficult to get rid of with their long roots that tend to break off at just the right depth so that you can't get at them but they can grow again. Don't Roundup the stuff immediately after cutting, you might want to wait 10 days, giving water, so that you have enough leaf surface to apply to. Obviously you will have naked spots where these weeds + surrounding grass have died down (and there is no guarantee that they won't grow back, some weeds are very robust).

If you have the energy, you can try putting on rubber gloves and pick the plant up with your left hand and apply Roundup (maybe 5%, but not more) with a sponge.The vapour from Roundup can kill other plants so maybe evening would be a good time. Forget the vinegar for now,

There are many excellent weed killers for lawns around, but not in Thailand. I don't think that Dicamba alone would do it.

Any form of selective weedkiller will do the job best. Somebody mentioned Dicamba, which is good. Another is Banvine. Essentially you need a broad spectrum selective (hormone) spray designed to kill broadleaf weeds. These will also kill clovers and similar. They won't damage the actual grass/turf.

Glyphosate or any broad spectrum chemical will kill the grass, even when applied carefully. Doing this also creates an area of barren soil, allowing other weeds to quickly take root.

Virtually nothing will kill the seeds except maybe Simazine/Amitrol, but this is very residual and designed for killing weeds in waste areas, paths and driveways etc. It's common name used to be Permazol SDA, which contained Simazine, Dicamba, and Amitrol. It is the broad spectrum nuclear bomb of weed killers and leaves nothing alive. No pun intended.

The weed you have looks like it is some sort of Oxalis, which is a type of clover, but generally a bit harder to kill than ordinary clover. Does it have a heart shaped leaf? You may need to find a chemical with triclopyr as the active ingredient. Try the Banvine first, that always worked well for me in most situations. Don't try and dig it out or rake it - you want actively growing weeds to ingest the chemical, which essentially makes the weed grow rampantly and kill itself, a bit like over feeding your goldfish. It implodes. If you strip the leaves and leave the roots it will just regrow.

Once you mostly eradicate, topdress the lawn with sand, fertilise it appropriately, and encourage a finer/thicker turf to grow with some oversowing. Keep it well irrigated and well manicured. This will encourage the lawn growth and repel any weeds. Spray the entire lawn twice annually (at the start and end of the most active periods of growth) with the same chemical, ensuring even coverage.

You can make up (or buy) a "Lawn-boy" type sprayer especially designed for this sort of thing. A doddle to make - just get the right size nozzle that dispenses the correct dose.

When I was a lad my first job involved selling chemicals to Cockies (farmers in new Zealand). The science really hasn't changed much over the years.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Unfortunately does not work ... smile.png Needs plenty of hands to pull these out or some kind of weed killer... it has decided to ruin my lawn and it's mastering it pretty well.

an octopus as a friend ?coffee1.gif

More like a cross of cotton picker and an octopus...

Ok read most of the threads on this....

Use UREA,(available everywhere) not too much, put the granules on the area, then hose in lightly....wait a couple of days then flood the area with water.

If unsuccessful put Urea again and don't hose in for a week.....The grass will survive long enough to kill that pest of a weed.