How to get rid of this "thing" that has invaded my lawn...

Ok read most of the threads on this....

Use UREA,(available everywhere) not too much, put the granules on the area, then hose in lightly....wait a couple of days then flood the area with water.

If unsuccessful put Urea again and don't hose in for a week.....The grass will survive long enough to kill that pest of a weed.

What sort of grass is your lawn???

The above method will work ok on zoysia or bermuda (couch)

If it's Malaysia grass, then not so good.

You can use Atrazine as a pre & post emergent for the weed & its seeds in zoysia & bermuda. Cannot on Malaysia grass.

It comes in a 1kg box

Mix it in a 15 litre back pack sprayer & apply that way. Get someone to translate the rate for you. It's fairly strong so be careful. You would need 50gms in 15 litres water to spray 275m2

Fertilize the grass before hand so it is strong & will recover quickly from the spraying

You can buy Atrazine at local chemi shops for about B400 / kg box

Edited by Chalard

Ok read most of the threads on this....

Use UREA,(available everywhere) not too much, put the granules on the area, then hose in lightly....wait a couple of days then flood the area with water.

If unsuccessful put Urea again and don't hose in for a week.....The grass will survive long enough to kill that pest of a weed.

What sort of grass is your lawn???

The above method will work ok on zoysia or bermuda (couch)

If it's Malaysia grass, then not so good.

You can use Atrazine as a pre & post emergent for the weed & its seeds in zoysia & bermuda. Cannot on Malaysia grass.

It comes in a 1kg box

Mix it in a 15 litre back pack sprayer & apply that way. Get someone to translate the rate for you. It's fairly strong so be careful. You would need 50gms in 15 litres water to spray 275m2

Fertilize the grass before hand so it is strong & will recover quickly from the spraying

You can buy Atrazine at local chemi shops for about B400 / kg box

Have to look at that one...Altrazine.

I do have Malaysian Grass actually and this weed (in discussion) is brought in by birds....most probably.

I have had success with Urea....but that's maybe only me. I had to play with it a bit to succeed, but that is what I am using....

Bit different looking after grass here...hey?

I had what looks like the same stuff persisting in my garden back home in Sydney! It looked like some sort of clover but the version I had grew lethal 1-2cm spikes too if you left it too long.

I used a Glyph product also which worked but as it just grew in the garden bed and not the lawn it wasn't that large an area so I would pull it out by hand every 2 or 3 weeks during spring and summer. It seemed to die off in the cooler periods (which won't usually be an issue in LOS).

Don't have those problems in the shophouse but do miss my garden..... :o(

Thanks again! Luckily I read this before going all in with the roundup... I think I will try urea first. I need to get that translated and then go and buy it. I might fertilize the lawn before this but it's already in pretty weak state where the damn weed wreck havoc.

You can see the lawn type in the photo? I have no glue what type it is. I'll try to ask when a thai comes around.

I believe it's not Malaysian so this might work too (suggested by weegee above): You can use Atrazine as a pre & post emergent for the weed & its seeds in zoysia & bermuda. However, after reading what the stuff is I will give it a pass and go with urea / roundup first.

So the battle plan for Wednesday is UREA after tomorrow's visit to Koh Samet. I'll give the weed one more day to enjoy and then it's execution timethumbsup.gif .

Roundup that I bought I'll use on my neighbours lawn to see how it works so it does not go to waste whistling.gif

Edited by FinChin67

Thanks again! Luckily I read this before going all in with the roundup... I think I will try urea first. I need to get that translated and then go and buy it. I might fertilize the lawn before this but it's already in pretty weak state where the dam_n weed wreck havoc.

You can see the lawn type in the photo? I have no glue what type it is. I'll try to ask when a thai comes around.

I believe it's not Malaysian so this might work too (suggested by weegee above): You can use Atrazine as a pre & post emergent for the weed & its seeds in zoysia & bermuda. However, after reading what the stuff is I will give it a pass and go with urea / roundup first.

So the battle plan for Wednesday is UREA after tomorrow's visit to Koh Samet. I'll give the weed one more day to enjoy and then it's execution timethumbsup.gif .

Roundup that I bought I'll use on my neighbours lawn to see how it works so it does not go to waste whistling.gif

I'm not sure if it is a local translation or not, but I hear people refer to urea as Bpui Gleua, literally "Fertiliser salt". It may be because Urea in its crystalline form looks like salt. You will see the numbers 46-00-00 on the pack.

I think that most fertiliser sellers will understand urea though

Edited by loong
  • Like 1

Responding to #41 DO NOT use Atrazene. That is a ground sterilent. It will render soil totally sterile for 7 years. Nothing will grow there.

Thanks, I figured and it seems nasty stuff. Not even for my neighbours lawn...

Thanks again! Luckily I read this before going all in with the roundup... I think I will try urea first. I need to get that translated and then go and buy it. I might fertilize the lawn before this but it's already in pretty weak state where the dam_n weed wreck havoc.

I'm not sure if it is a local translation or not, but I hear people refer to urea as Bpui Gleua, literally "Fertiliser salt". It may be because Urea in its crystalline form looks like salt. You will see the numbers 46-00-00 on the pack.

I think that most fertiliser sellers will understand urea though

Thanks!! I think they sell here in small bags but I'll ask to make sure.

Ok. Never tried urea and I worked as a 'lawn expert' for 30 years. Atrazine does not sterilise soil for many years as stated above, I used it many times when preparing first class lawns. It prevents seeds (other than grass seeds) from germinating.

Look, if you want anything resembling a decent lawn you will have to use naughty chemicals. Environmentally friendly solutions don't exist, only changes in attitude about what a lawn should look like in Thailand. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Have you tried peeing on them?

That's it pissssss on it, that will do it, the good old organic way!!! fixes all and sundry, but I my opinion Agent Orange would do a better job clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry could not resist

Scoop

Have you tried peeing on them?

That's it pissssss on it, that will do it, the good old organic way!!! fixes all and sundry, but I my opinion Agent Orange would do a better job clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry could not resist

Scoop

Or nuke it from orbit, just to make sure...

I think I have had some success with hand picking the suckers (loads of work but I'm winning) and urea. It seems to clear out and new ones do not grow - maybe due to urea me thinks.

I'm going to follow up on this and I have not used roundup yet.

• Like 2