Trip to Betong (Yala)

angiud

For my exploration trips visiting National Parks and natural areas in Thailand, I get an invitation to Betong, great natural area and close to a National Park on the Southern border with Malaysia.

Some friend (Thai) don't recommend the trip by car but suggest a van/bus trip from Hat Yai to Betong. My friends from Betong (Thai Muslims) instead say there is not a problem driving up there, just several check points.

Any member has some experience or wise suggestion? I would like to with my car.

There are two options available ... down through Yala City and on to Betong (and/or vv) (shown in blue)or over into Malaysia at Dannok, returning into Thailand (Betong) (shown in yellow). The Malaysia option is a much easier drive but the Yala option has some good scenery. You will probably need your car in Betong, so the minivan is not really a viable option. IMHO, it's well worth the trip whichever option you choose.

post-145960-0-10326200-1391740546_thumb.

Edited by rajyindee

Should be a great trip.....Augiud, I have driven through some of those areas ... a bit more east...

Obviously you need to drive yourself, mini van drivers won't stop for you to explore and take photos! whistling.giftongue.png

Look forward to seeing some of your photos...thumbsup.gif

Perhaps stop around the Thali Noi Conservation area on your way through....if you've not done that area yet ...wink.png

There are two options available ... down through Yala City and on to Betong (and/or vv) (shown in blue)or over into Malaysia at Dannok, returning into Thailand (Betong) (shown in yellow). The Malaysia option is a much easier drive but the Yala option has some good scenery. You will probably need your car in Betong, so the minivan is not really a viable option. IMHO, it's well worth the trip whichever option you choose.

attachicon.gifThaiSouthMax 1.jpg

Yes, I've considered myself the clever option thru Sadao and Malaysia, but unfortunately my car is still on finance so I shouldn't allowed to pass thru the border.

Just a couple of friends are worried about the dangers of driving across Pattani and Yala provinces, although daytime.

I think the local friends in Betong could supply us witha ride, but still not sure.

And finally I understand the trip from Donsak to Betong is around 650 Km!

I wouldn't drive thru Yala due to risks, simply other places to go. Why is the park so special?

Wife went to Thale Ban with friends, no treks but I was not impressed with photos. I'd like to get a kayak and get back in there, but overall, meh.

I was at Mu Koh Petra hq years back, but could not get a cheap longtail out to the islands.

Been to Tarutao few times as well as Adang, Rawi. Always wanted to hike bsck to the last "campground", never did. Now said to harbor mafia extorting money /labor from Rohinga boat people. So I guess that atea is no go.

I regularly visit and camp Andaman marine parks, often with wife.

I will go with a small group of friends, Thai and expats, from Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Koh Samui. We are very excited because for our interest, mostly butterflies and other insects, that area bordering Malaysia is renowned.

Famous is Hala Bala Wildlife Sanctuary, Betong, Bang Lang National Park, Than To waterfall.

Several species are endemic of that region or very localized and impossible to find in the rest of Thailand.

Thale Ban National Park, close to Satun, is another good spot for our interests (I've been in 2012)

Here a sample of the animals I'm interested smile.png

Can you post a review somewhere if you make the trek ? .. This would make a great long weekend on the bike.

I love the Thai national parks, i dislike the double pricing, but always impressed when i use the park accommodation and the reception from the rangers. You could stay in a tourist restort 50m outside the park gates and have a totally different experience than plotting up your tent inside or camp dorm and spending the evening sharing a bottle with the staff.

In Betong you will also find (from wiki )

• Piyamit Tunnel (อุโมงค์ปิยะมิตร) at Ban Piyamit 1, Tambon Tano Mae Ro. Take the same route as the Hot Spring for four more kilometres. This area is the village of the Thai Development Participants and was once the base of Malaya Communist Division 2. The tunnel was built in three months in 1976, winding through the mountain for about one kilometer, about 50-60 feet wide with multiple entrances. It was used as the air raid shelter and food storage area. At present there is an exhibition about its history including the way of life in the forest. It is open to the public from 8 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year ( Oct) we drove down from Phuket to Satun, overnighted there and than next day crossed over at Wang Prachan border crossing and drove across the top of Malaysia an re-entered Thailand at Betong and drove up to Yalla and spent the night. The ride up is beautiful, Sad to see so few people get to enjoy the area as lots of friendly people and fantastic scenery and great roads

Lots of army and maybe 40 of those road crossing where u have to weave around the razor wire, Maybe 5 of them were maned were we had to slow down but never stop. Seems they were stopping cars heading south thou and covered pick up trucks and Malaysian tagged cars were being stopped, were we were waved thru.

Am now in Songkla.

Left Phuket about 8 am and headed to the same border ( market was full on as it was Saturday and lots of Malaysians head over to buy, what I i think was junk) an arrived in Alor Star about 4 pm, would have been quicker but where we brought insurance this time ( last time just drove thru) took over an hour as her internet was down

Next day we headed to Cameron Highlands, spent the night ( the place is amazing!!! never seen so much land devoted to strawberries an Malaysian tourists)
DO NOT GO ON A SATURDAY /LONG WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY TIME

next night Kota Bharu and then headed up thru Narathawat an Pattani. to here. Yes there are army guy everywhere ( u see them at bus stops, walking the road, siting in shops, but did not feel that we were in a bad place, Asked a few of the army guys if it was bad and they just smiled and said no problem.

Most places got gas for 21 baht/lt (95) even thou there not supposed to sell anything but 97 ( for 28 baht/) to thai registered cars. Great roads and friendlily people in northern malay and very cheap food although the hotels were overpriced for what you got

Both trips would be great on a big ( or small) bike.

Don't listen to anyone telling u its not safe, its a safe as anywhere unless u have really bad luck and as most of the stuff does not happen on the main road, u have nothing to worry about.

Light traffic

worst part of the trip was the border to Alor Star as ur on small roads thru Malaysian towns an stop lights and lots of traffic for about 60 kms till u hit the main north /south Expressway

Also make sure u have Malaysian money as there is NO place to get it.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2