How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

Interesting thread and I agree with most that has been said. My view is by what the OP wants to do he can survive on 12000 thb a month so the extra can be used to improve his standard of living. The cost that were put down such as electricity would be no more than 650 thb (withoutAC) a month and water about 60thb . if you cook at home the cost of food would be a lot less than 9000 thb. The one thing that could cause a big problem is inflation which could be bad here in the next few years . So there is only your capacity to live in the village. Some people love it others cannot handle it but you have to live there for a time to find out about yourself. All I can say is you have it all worked out so you will not have any problems. As far as the company pensions go , they can change the goal posts on them . they alter the tax system. So wish you all the best

The longest I have stayed in the village is 4 months which I enjoyed and did not get bored and have had over 30 trips to the village over the last 12/13 years,it's so strange seeing all the kids all grown up now.

I don't think I could go as low as 12k, the highest electric bill we have had was 1900 which was in April 2008 with only 1 AC, now we have 2 AC and 1 more large TV and 3 computers so would expect a cost of around 3000 -3500 in the hot months of April/May but in the cold months in Dec/Jan this should come down to 1000 as we will just be using fans and not AC so I have gone for a average of 2500 per month but I think I can get this cost down.

Water I think will be around 250 maybe 200 as we use a washing machine to wash our clothes maybe I should get the wife to hand wash instead to save money 5555.

We only eat out 2/3 times a month and spend most of the time cooking at home so I have only gone with a rough figure of 9000, I think I could save a little bit here but as I like to eat western food sometimes which cost a lot here could push this up, but I do buy in bulk from Thai wholesellers which works out better than buying from Tesco Lotus,7/11 & Big C on certain items, my wife also has a Makro card and there prices seem quite good.

Inflation is a big concern you are correct but hopefully interest rates will rise in the UK in 2015 which will help push the £ up a bit, but I will make cut backs if I have to as I said before in another post 1 or 2 less beers a week goes a long way and it's good for your budget & health

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i have been living on a budget of 15,000 baht a month( " all in " ) which for myself living on my own is " more than enough"

Monthly Outgoings:

Rent 6,500 ( lovely condo with pool )

Water/ Elec 500

Daily Food etc 3,100 (100baht X 31 days)

Train Trips etc 2,000

Visa costs 1,300

Misc extras 1,500 ( mobile,supermarket etc )

Its so easy to live a cheap life in Thailand.I am out walking and on the beach in the sun most afternoons which is " FREE " and i travel quite a lot around Thailand on the train every month ( BKK to Hua Hin only 44 baht ) BUT i dont drink or smoke and have " no interest " in Bars.I eat fresh Thai food from the market every day.I have loads of hobbies and never get bored.but the great thing about Thailand is " The Outdoor lifestyle " .....

M clap2.gif

post-193254-0-79626600-1391916705_thumb.

Great leave mother to he dogs and mess up the kids education completely for the sake of six years.

Yeah will fit in lol.

Hope it works out though, live the dream.

How am I leaving my mother to the dogs as I will have other family members to look after her and she has known for a long time now that I will be going to live in Thailand and has accepted this and wants me to move on with my life, I do have backup money to visit the UK every year

What are you on about messing up the kids education, He can speak both English & Thai but can only read & write in English, I want him to learn to read & write in Thai before he gets to old as it will be hard for him, kids at a young age pick things up quicker and the school which he will be attending will also be teaching him Chinese so by the age of 12/13 he will be able to speak, read & write in Thai, English & Chinese. If I was to keep him in the UK until he has finished school what do you think would happen to him when he gets to Thailand and cannot read or write Thai ? what sort of job will he get ? how will I be able to use the money he has in his child trust fund to send him to Collage/Uni in Thailand if he cannot read or write

Don't post things you don't know what you are talking about

Well i have been living on a budget of 15,000 baht a month( " all in " ) which for myself living on my own is " more than enough"

Monthly Outgoings:

Water/ Elec 500

Train Trips etc 2,000

Visa costs 1,300

Its so easy to live a cheap life in Thailand.I am out walking and on the beach in the sun most afternoons which is " FREE " and i travel quite a lot around Thailand on the train every month ( BKK to Hua Hin only 44 baht ) BUT i dont drink or smoke and have " no interest " in Bars.I eat fresh Thai food from the market every day.I have loads of hobbies and never get bored.but the great thing about Thailand is " The Outdoor lifestyle " .....

M clap2.gif

I take it you do not eat western food which would increase your daily food budget a lot, for me I still need to have my western breakfast in the morning and sometimes eat western food in the evenings so this does add up, BKK to Hua Hin 44 baht that must be 3rd class ?, would rather upgrade to second, also you must have to pay for hotels when you travel which is not in your cost ?

Good luck Jase and I wish you all the best, be wise with the money and you'll do ok. Anything can change your fortunes once you get back here. As well as the PT teaching option you want to look at doing some stuff over the internet....nothing ventured nothing gained.

My main concern would be, and I hope this does not happen, is any emergency medical issues which would eat into your budget and possibly savings, do you have decent medical coverage for your family?

Wish you luck.

Had a friend a few years back that was a teacher and remember him telling me he worked out deal with a school where he would work 3 days a week with full classes (pretty much all day) with just an hour break for lunch

So around 18 class room hours or week and was paid 25k per month

Not to mention teachers can get some serious holidays, if not working during semester breaks... Can end up with aprox 3.5 months off once you add it all up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back schools were allowed to take-on Foreign Teachers without a degree for up-to 2 years because they might be studying for that degree as well as teaching.

That loophole has now closed.

On the subject of part-time against full-time; my personal experience (& only that) showed me that what us 'westerners' expect the phrase 'part-time' to mean was different to what a Thai person might mean. I started out part time because I expected to get less hours and after then changing to full time, I got no more hours to work but gained by receiving holiday pay/health insurance which for me, was a great bonus.

OP: Why do you believe that as a foreigner you can obtain Thai government hospital medical insurance, have you already confirmed with hospital admin? Even if you were able to do so it does not cover all medicines that can quickly add up in cost. Also don't imagine wife would want her/children in a public ward in a Thai government hospital. Unless you're really unconcerned about 'quality of care', you and family definitely will not want to be treated at a local government hospital for anything of a serious nature, whether it be accident or illness.

Suggest you rethink the insurance & incidental expenses budget for health related matters.

My Son was born in a government hosipital but we got a priavte room cost was around 6000 Baht for 3 days, I asked Pattaya/Bangkok and they quoted 54,000 Baht, the service we got from the government hospital was very good and there was a nurse outside are room 24/7.

Fine, but what about emergency or serious conditions? Hope you wife didn't undergo caesarean in a government hospital as the scarring is horrendous. Your choice not to upgrade insurance, but will all due respect, not to do so is a mistake as it sounds that you cannot afford to self-insure yourself and family in case of a major life threatening accident or illness.

Scarring was pretty carp for my wife in a private hospital as well.

Anyway - back on subject. Cant see anyway you would use 3,500 baht a month unless you run 2 aircons 24/7. You'll get used to using fans in the fringes of the hottest hours.

I spend 3,500 to 4,000 baht a month and I have 5 aircon units, a 16 year old who insists on using air overnight, a big pool being pumped by 1 x 1500 watt motor for 7 hours a day, house and garden water from a well which needs pumping up from 30 metres below and automatic irrigation for the garden being pumped a total of 30 minutes a day. Small appliances and even TVs are not big consumers and electricity rates are half what they are in the UK.

You sure noone is tapping your pole (sounds a bit rude now I've typed that!)

I agree with the other guy - 50 baht a month if you are using village water, ok 100 baht maximum. Should be about 4 baht a cu m in the village in Issaan and a cu m gets you one hell of a lot of showers and washing machine cycles! If I supplement my well irrigation system with village water and run a garden hose (good power, certainly no dribble) for 24 hours it costs me about 50 baht.

I live on about ฿52 000.- a month, also in a house that is built by and belongs to my wife. I have a health insurance for ฿10 000.- a year, which is just a first response solution really. It would be nice to have financial reserves to be able to get back home in case of a serious medical condition developing. We bought a car, 100Km a day going to a private school (not paid for by me) and the family truck really isn't suitable for that kind of mileage on these roads. ฿8600.-. + ฿5000.- gasohol. Electric bill around ฿500 - ฿1000.- a month, we have two AC units and I have never been conscious of stinting in their use although they are turned off at night.

Small kitchen garden, chickens and ducks, but MOST IMPORTANTLY the wife's family nearby that helps out when necessary. We have weaned ourselves off splurging at the beginning of the month to waiting until the end of the month. 10 people living in the family compound and only two bringing in a regular income.

Kid's education: I supplement the school with some home schooling, an hour or two on Saturdays, English, natural sciences and maths, while she teaches me Thai.

Since you asked specifically, I can confirm that your school fees, transport, uniforms etc budget is sensible based on my experience of one child at a fee paying local Mueang convent school. As opposed to falangland school clothing is remarkably inexpensive here. May need a little extra for school trips and occasional school 'gimme-please's, but should be within your 2,500.

From your budgeting and prose you seem like a smart guy - should be able to earn a little bit of pleasure and contingency money if you want to have a go at teaching for a few hours a week. Many Isaan falang who have never done it before (and don't have a degree) do that. I don't but i would if I unexpectedly fell on hard times.

Take up exercise, birding and learning languages (there's 3 available to learn in the average Isaan village). All free!

{Just seen - you posted coterminously with me and answered the teaching point in advance: Good luck, suspect you don't need luck though}

A smart guy would only work with the prerequisite permit, unless we advise he also budget for the concomitant fines (not to mention up to 5 years living costs upon returning to his home country).

Monthly Outgoings:

Water/ Elec 500

Train Trips etc 2,000

Visa costs 1,300

M clap2.gif

I take it you do not eat western food which would increase your daily food budget a lot, for me I still need to have my western breakfast in the morning and sometimes eat western food in the evenings so this does add up, BKK to Hua Hin 44 baht that must be 3rd class ?, would rather upgrade to second, also you must have to pay for hotels when you travel which is not in your cost ?

Hello!

No i only eat Thai food ( i am in Thailand after all.....),Yes the train is 3rd class and yes i agree its worth paying a little bit extra and travelling on the " Express Train " ( faster and more comfortable!) Yes hotels in most places i visit are about 200 to 250 baht a night ( that's all included in my Train Trip budget of 2000 baht )

If your budget is 26K a month, i'd try your best to live on less and put what you can aside, you'll need it at some point. Otherwise, put it off a couple of years and put as much away in that time before you head over.

School Fees, books & uniform 11,500 Baht per year

Would you really do that to your kid? Stay in the UK to give him a better education, at this price you get nothing in TH!

Your budget is insufficient already and if you get any unforeseen problem you'll be in trouble. And I'll bet you the 22 year old brat will be more than capable of causing that.

By the way did you base your plans on the current price levels in TH? Be aware that right now your groceries are very close to the UK level!

Sorry Jason Thai. I'm having a rather hysterical laugh. You're worrying about your 25 000!!! I have to PROVE that I have an income of 88 000 baht per month JUST to get a tourist visa for 2 months. I don't have even half of that so it took a lot of " conniving and contriving". It's enough to drive you to drink. Think I'll stop my cackling and get up and get another bottle.

How low can you go, monthly budget cost

Utterly forced, myself and my wife and our child, could probably go to about 70k if forced in an emergency.

Anything lower than that and it would not be worth living here.

I suppose it's a case of both sides looking at each other and not being able to understand the other side's life/view.

I've been poor before and didn't like it one bit, so I've worked like a forker to never have to live like that again, to those that can, and do so happily, you certainly have something that I don't.

A set of Mach 3 razor blades and 3 days of your food budget is gone already. Socks have gone up from 5 for 100b to 3 for 100b in the blink of an eye. rolleyes.gif

I hope any budget people are making isn't based on foreign income. When I came here 10 years ago people I met with income from the UK were getting around 70b to the pound. There were probably a few 65 yr olds coming over then with their pension, 1000 quid equalling 70k p/m in a cheap ol' Thailand. Paradise retirement. :rolleyes:

10 years later and they're 75 yrs old only getting 53b to the pound in an expensive Thailand. Bet that isn't a nice unless their pension is at least 3000gbp p/m.

I agree about the medical issue. With all the fuss I had about my visa I got herpes. Never had chicken pox etc etc just the stress. Well it's 7 trips to the Ram at 2000 a go. And I have round about your income. The Ram is private and I admit considered expensive I have a friend who only just lives on 17 000. Mind you he does like his Benmore.

I agree about the bike too. I use shank's poney but I live in a city.

I much prefer life with a nice house with garden, fish pond and outside dining area, car, motorbike, scooter, going shopping with your family once/twice a week and filling up without having to look at the prices. Everything in the house is doubled up (coffee etc. so when one is gone we still have an other and buy another next shopping) running out of stuff isn't acceptable. I guess to put it into a word I would call it comfort. And I work for it, well actually I suppose we work for it.

A life of non-comfort gets old. That is of course jmo. But you did ask.

25k = non-comfort and I cannot imagine it not being so.

The man has a plan, a daring one but a good plan. Good luck to you.

I can imagine running those same figures (a given and finite amount of money) in my own country:

- aircon bill, zero

- heating bill, arghhhhhhhh

- free health care

- conditions thereoff, arghhhhhh

- food, withouth veggies, i.e. pasta 30x a month, hmmm`

- utilities: water, home insurance, electricity, telephone, internet, gaz, property tax, garbage tax, maintenance fees...

- cigarettes X5, and beer at the local X2, restaurant X3

- going to the beach X???

- transport and insurance to anywhere

I'm not on the same budget, plan or odds as OP but the simple truth, with any given amount, life is much better in... (add your answer here ________)

Blimey, your an optimist aren't you.

Lets be positive please, that is what life is about is it not?

Jason, don't listen to these people that tell you that "the sky is falling down".

If you don't do it you will eternally live in regret.

GO FOR IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AA64eCt2zs

Yeah sure great idea, if he was on his own go for it.

The difference is he is some sort of middle aged guy with a wife and a couple of kids in tow.

Whats the rush to come over here?

Thailand aint going anywhere, will still be here when his pension kicks in, if he actually gets it and the goalposts havent been moved, never mind the exchange rates and inflation.

Talk about abandonment of all responsibility.

Wait til he gets a bill for 15k for root canal treatment, 6k for a new water pump, etc etc etc

Bringing a little girl here to condemn her, why bother writing it, go for it.

25k per month to keep a family of 4.

Heres a tip, cancel your plans, come here for a holiday, keep your credit card in the UK and see how far you get on 25k per month.

Written from one who lives here and is well aware of costs.

edit, just read, my wife will have an income of 4k per month, <deleted>, I spend more than that on a night out.

If you are really so reliant on 4k per month, best of luck to you, you will need it.

What happens if your wife doesnt earn 4k per month?

What happens when the white envelopes appear?

What happens when the family hit her up for money?

Fair points but you do need to get your facts right first of all I only have 1 kid to look after, my wife's daughter works and will live with us and will pay her way, by the way I do have a emergency money of around 15kGBP which some can be used for maintenance of the house and other bits so I am not worried about that, I also have a TEFL cert so I can work if I want .

Also I have 26k not 25k and with the wife working will bring our budget to 30k per month plus she will get money from her daugther as well every month, I have also posted this subject on another forum and one guy is the same as me but with a car also and he gets buy on on less than 35k a month and is very happy

What the hell do you spend 4k+ on a night out in Issan on beacause I have have taken 14 people out for meal & drinks and the bill was less than 2500.

my wife aready has a job set up and if that goes tits up then she will get another like most people do.

When the white envelopes appear I do what I always do give and give 100 baht most Thai's just put 20 baht, but then again I know silly farangs that put 1000 baht and try to show off how rich they are

My wifes family are all working in Bangkok now and have good jobs, my wifes mother works and lives right next to us and has only ask me for money once in 12 years, which she paid back, so I am not worried about her family unlike some people I know who like hold parties and buy drinks for the guys in the village I stopped that years ago, When I was there last year some of her family came down to see us and they brought the food & drink which was the other way around when I first used to go up to the village to stay

And about my pension if your read I said it was a company pension not the state pension so why would the goalsposts move, I know the government has changed the state pension age for me I have to wait to I am 68 and I bet this will rise to 70+

Re company pensions - the goalposts have moved before - one used to be able to retire at 50, but earliest is now 55 - it could conceivably change again, under the pretext of 'we are all in this together'. Also, you are anticipating a lump sum which currently will be tax free - this is an area that will certainly come under scrutiny - in fact already is under scrutiny for so called 'fat cat' pensions - and one could envisage some form of tax being levied on lump sums in the future.

Just saying...

eat street food and get your lazy 22 yr old to get a job and support him or herself. You might just then survive on that money but I doubt it. good luck

If you read the other posts you may find out that she is already working and will pay her own way

Not read every post here, but fwiw here's my input

1. It may be doable but you are mortgaging your future for the present due to unforseen costs and sundries, but mainly due to future inflation.

2. You state you have a property in UK that you will keep. Then rent it out before you relocate here and live a life not just an existence.

3. Learn to ride a motorbike here. Take it slow and it will be liberating.

4. Stay in UK for at least another year first to improve the finances and budget and leave a year less to have to fund until your pension.

5. Your pension isn't much especially as you expect your funds to last less than the 9 years required. You are going to struggle once retired and by then options are too late - i.e. working etc

6. It's doable, but why would you jump so soon when a year or two more savings and reducing the period you must fund for, would improve things immeasurably. At least rent out your UK house for an income - then the figures may look fine. Bottom line is there's not much leeway and inflation is going to hit you very hard in later life even including pension, on the numbers you state.

7. Actually I am in Thailand and living on a similar budget and have been for this last 18 months. Me and the wife- no kids. Obviously other differences, but similar overall. I am going back to UK in Spring to look for a job, as I don't consider this living. It's just marking time and economising. I'd rather earn a better future when that's the 'rest of life plan' and then come back.

8. working here re TEFL is long hours, possibly 6 days a week and little pay or shorter hours and very little pay compared to jobs available in UK. I prefer to work in UK myself if I need to work. Much better opportunity, pay and conditions as an employee unless you fall on your feet here.

Your figures look quite reasonable, but...

I don't know how hot it gets there, but here in Chiang Mai we seldom run our air con

unless it's really hot. Fans suffice about 90% of the time. Our electric and water both

total about 1,000 per month. And we are quite comfortable.

Just something you might consider to economize a bit.

Also, as somebody else already mentioned, it might be worth your while to buy a used

motorbike -- you should be able to find a used one in fairly good condition for 15,000 -

20,000. It'd probably pay for itself in one year.

Your plan looks quite good actually.

Blimey, your an optimist aren't you.

Lets be positive please, that is what life is about is it not?

Jason, don't listen to these people that tell you that "the sky is falling down".

If you don't do it you will eternally live in regret.

GO FOR IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AA64eCt2zs

Yeah sure great idea, if he was on his own go for it.

The difference is he is some sort of middle aged guy with a wife and a couple of kids in tow.

Whats the rush to come over here?

Thailand aint going anywhere, will still be here when his pension kicks in, if he actually gets it and the goalposts havent been moved, never mind the exchange rates and inflation.

Talk about abandonment of all responsibility.

Wait til he gets a bill for 15k for root canal treatment, 6k for a new water pump, etc etc etc

Bringing a little girl here to condemn her, why bother writing it, go for it.

25k per month to keep a family of 4.

Heres a tip, cancel your plans, come here for a holiday, keep your credit card in the UK and see how far you get on 25k per month.

Written from one who lives here and is well aware of costs.

edit, just read, my wife will have an income of 4k per month, <deleted>, I spend more than that on a night out.

If you are really so reliant on 4k per month, best of luck to you, you will need it.

What happens if your wife doesnt earn 4k per month?

What happens when the white envelopes appear?

What happens when the family hit her up for money?

Fair points but you do need to get your facts right first of all I only have 1 kid to look after, my wife's daughter works and will live with us and will pay her way, by the way I do have a emergency money of around 15kGBP which some can be used for maintenance of the house and other bits so I am not worried about that, I also have a TEFL cert so I can work if I want .

Also I have 26k not 25k and with the wife working will bring our budget to 30k per month plus she will get money from her daugther as well every month, I have also posted this subject on another forum and one guy is the same as me but with a car also and he gets buy on on less than 35k a month and is very happy

What the hell do you spend 4k+ on a night out in Issan on beacause I have have taken 14 people out for meal & drinks and the bill was less than 2500.

my wife aready has a job set up and if that goes tits up then she will get another like most people do.

When the white envelopes appear I do what I always do give and give 100 baht most Thai's just put 20 baht, but then again I know silly farangs that put 1000 baht and try to show off how rich they are

My wifes family are all working in Bangkok now and have good jobs, my wifes mother works and lives right next to us and has only ask me for money once in 12 years, which she paid back, so I am not worried about her family unlike some people I know who like hold parties and buy drinks for the guys in the village I stopped that years ago, When I was there last year some of her family came down to see us and they brought the food & drink which was the other way around when I first used to go up to the village to stay

And about my pension if your read I said it was a company pension not the state pension so why would the goalsposts move, I know the government has changed the state pension age for me I have to wait to I am 68 and I bet this will rise to 70+

Re company pensions - the goalposts have moved before - one used to be able to retire at 50, but earliest is now 55 - it could conceivably change again, under the pretext of 'we are all in this together'. Also, you are anticipating a lump sum which currently will be tax free - this is an area that will certainly come under scrutiny - in fact already is under scrutiny for so called 'fat cat' pensions - and one could envisage some form of tax being levied on lump sums in the future.

Just saying...

until

Yes I remember when they increased the age limit but they did give people notice I think it was 3-5 years before they changed the age limit, my pension is not over 1 million GBP which is somethng the governement are looking to tax, rememeber you also have your personal tax free allowance which is 10K from April so I should be fine and should not be taxed until I get my state pension on top but thats a long way off

Archived