How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

A set of Mach 3 razor blades and 3 days of your food budget is gone already. Socks have gone up from 5 for 100b to 3 for 100b in the blink of an eye. rolleyes.gif

I hope any budget people are making isn't based on foreign income. When I came here 10 years ago people I met with income from the UK were getting around 70b to the pound. There were probably a few 65 yr olds coming over then with their pension, 1000 quid equalling 70k p/m in a cheap ol' Thailand. Paradise retirement. :rolleyes:

10 years later and they're 75 yrs old only getting 53b to the pound in an expensive Thailand. Bet that isn't a nice unless their pension is at least 3000gbp p/m.

That is very true and unfortunately more and more expats seem miserable here because of living like peasants, having relationship problems and resenting anyone working or succeeding in LOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys & girls just wondering if you think I will be ok with my budget when I come over to live here next year, I have a budget of around 26,000 Baht per month, I have a little brat (9 years old), grown up brat (22 years old) & wife to look after, here's what a rough idea is of my budget for a month this is for living in Non Sung in a village and not the city of Korat.

Rent (free) have 3 bedroom house already built.

Electric 2500 Baht, I have worked this out to be an average over 12 months, use 1 AC all the time with the other only used occasionally but in the cold season will just use fans.

Water 250 Baht per month.

Gas Bottles 1600 Baht a year, so about 150 Baht a month.

Phone Card 250 Baht a month.

Internet 650 Baht per month, hopefully can get air net package for 7mb or 10mb for the house

Food 9000 Baht per month, Eat western food for breakfast and Thai in the evening.

Drink 2600 Baht per month, Do not drink everyday just every second day grin.gif

Travel 1400 Baht per month, Do not have a bike or car but just use the taxi service in the morning to go to the market to buy food (60 Baht per week) also do a couple of trips to Korat City in the month with a cost of 600 Baht per trip

Visa fees & Runs Yearly cost including travel & hotel 36,500 Baht, so 3050 Baht a month

4 Holiday Trips Travel costs are included in the visa runs, Hotel & spending money works out at around 13,500 Baht per trip (5 Nights per trip) so leaving 2500 Baht spending money per day after paying for hotel, I have also added the money I would spend per day in the village to the 2500 Baht budget above, this should work out to around 4500 Baht a month to cover the yearly cost.

School Fees, books & uniform 11,500 Baht per year so about 950 Baht a month, my son have been with me & the wife in the UK for nearly 5 nears now and can read & write English so I will not be putting him into an English program school, he can speak Thai so I just want him to learn to read Thai & learn Chinese, looking at 4500 per term for a school in Non Sung, with the remaining 2500 Baht going towards his uniform & books. I am not sure about this figure so if you guys do the same can you let me know how much you pay ?

School Travel 500 Baht per month for school bus to pick him up and bring him back, total cost for year 4500 Baht based on 9 months a year schooling.

Medical Insurance Looking at getting the yellow house book and getting insurance from a government hospital, 2200 Baht a year, so about 200 Baht a month.

So looking at coming in at around 26,000 Baht a month, do you think this can work ?

I know I have not added anything for extras like clothing and so on, but the wife will have extra income coming in of around 3500/4000 Baht per month so this should cover this.

I've heard that my wife's friend had to pay 60,000 Baht fee to get her kid into a school in Ubon Ratchathani. Probably not applicable to a village situation but something to consider when living in a city.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I am not living in the city and this is most likely a cost to get into a EP school which I don't need as my son can read and speak English fine

A set of Mach 3 razor blades and 3 days of your food budget is gone already. Socks have gone up from 5 for 100b to 3 for 100b in the blink of an eye. rolleyes.gif

I hope any budget people are making isn't based on foreign income. When I came here 10 years ago people I met with income from the UK were getting around 70b to the pound. There were probably a few 65 yr olds coming over then with their pension, 1000 quid equalling 70k p/m in a cheap ol' Thailand. Paradise retirement. rolleyes.gif

10 years later and they're 75 yrs old only getting 53b to the pound in an expensive Thailand. Bet that isn't a nice unless their pension is at least 3000gbp p/m.

That is very true and unfortunately more and more expats seem miserable here because of living like peasants, having relationship problems and resenting anyone working or succeeding in LOS.

Yea they should come back to the UK and find out bad it's got and then go back to Thailand and think yea we are still better off !

Water. 250 baht seems low. Do you have a lawn that needs watering during non-rainy seasons? Have a hot water tank? If no to both, then perhaps 500 baht a month will work. If you have a large yard (i.e., 75 sq. wa or more) with bushes & flowers & trees to maintain, I'd plan for 1,000 baht per month with the occasional 1,200 baht bill.

Internet. I doubt you'll get even a poor package for 650 baht, unless dial-up is still an option. 1,000-2,000 baht is the range you'll probably be dealing with.

We live in Ubon city in a housing development. Our land is 87 Sq wa and we have a lot of lawn and many shrubs which are watered up to 3 times per day at this time of the year. There is the 3 of us living here and our water bill per month never exceeds 250 baht.

We are on 3BB internet 10mb plan for 630 (incl VAT) with unlimited downloads. Never a problem with internet and I Skype and download movies all day.

Just adding my 2 cents worth

"Impossible" to LIVE on this amount with one child and one adult child and someone that drinks

every other day......I would say to LIVE you need to add 25K to you monthly budget....To just

get by.......add 10K per month.

Very good and I agree with you, the 26k is just for starters and I should be able to raise this to 40k after a year or 2, but it's interesting to see that it will cost more in Thailand than in the UK to live here according to some, either they do not live here or are very stupid 55555

If you don't plan on working, consider home schooling the 9 year old. Even if it's in conjunction with the govt schooling, and even if it's just the English language component. Your son may be proficient in English, but it's at the level of a 9 year old, and it may only diminish when he's out of the immersive English environment.

Water. 250 baht seems low. Do you have a lawn that needs watering during non-rainy seasons? Have a hot water tank? If no to both, then perhaps 500 baht a month will work. If you have a large yard (i.e., 75 sq. wa or more) with bushes & flowers & trees to maintain, I'd plan for 1,000 baht per month with the occasional 1,200 baht bill.

Internet. I doubt you'll get even a poor package for 650 baht, unless dial-up is still an option. 1,000-2,000 baht is the range you'll probably be dealing with.

We live in Ubon city in a housing development. Our land is 87 Sq wa and we have a lot of lawn and many shrubs which are watered up to 3 times per day at this time of the year. There is the 3 of us living here and our water bill per month never exceeds 250 baht.

We are on 3BB internet 10mb plan for 630 (incl VAT) with unlimited downloads. Never a problem with internet and I Skype and download movies all day.

Just adding my 2 cents worth

Now we have a guy that knows what he is talking about, I have only done a rough budget for water so I will go with 200 Baht, I am looking at TOT nanastation which I hope I can get in the sticks & will cost me 640 for 10mb

What about costs for rubbish collection, cess pit emptying , A/C maintenance, medicines, unplanned events etc?

Rubbish collection, I am going to live in a village not in a condo so free, ces pit 120 baht year, AC 1200 baht a year, unplanned events well thats umlimited depending on what happens !

It is the "Farang indulgences " that put the cost of survival up. I eat out in Thai restaurants a lot with friends and maybe have a Farang meal once or twice a week. Drink is most guys downfall (especially if driving/riding too) as this can mount up considerably over the month.

Keeping busy is a good remedy by work/sport or hobby.

eat street food and get your lazy 22 yr old to get a job and support him or herself. You might just then survive on that money but I doubt it. good luck

Like 4 pages and finally some real good advice, the brats should both work.

What you expect a 9 year old to work, <deleted> start to read the topic and not jump in half way with crap advice

When I was 9 I cut lawns and delivered newspapers even though my father was not on a shoe string budget. There is so much crap advice on here <deleted>.

eat street food and get your lazy 22 yr old to get a job and support him or herself. You might just then survive on that money but I doubt it. good luck

Like 4 pages and finally some real good advice, the brats should both work.

What you expect a 9 year old to work, <deleted> start to read the topic and not jump in half way with crap advice

When I was 9 I cut lawns and delivered newspapers even though my father was not on a shoe string budget. There is so much crap advice on here <deleted>.

This will be hard to do in Issan lol

We all live very differently! i am often asked how its possible to live on 15,000 baht a month inc rent! The answer is " very easily " but i don't drink or smoke! Drinking will " inflate your budget " to extreme levels.

Also Why rent or buy a motorbike? why not buy a Bicycle? or even " walk " Most people i have noticed in Thailand who have motorbikes in Thailand ( thai & farang ) are just " bloody lazy! " who needs a bike to travel 3 KM down the road when you can walk! ( and much better for you! )

Also if you are in a relationship with a thai lady and she is working then she must contribute to the monthly bills!

I have quite a few friends in Thailand all live with there Thai ladies ( who are working ) and all of them " split the monthly bills 50/50 " which is the best way! ( but of course if you are living with a lady who is working and she " refuses " to pay her half of the bills then it's " quite obvious " she perhaps isn't that interested in " YOU " and more interested in having her life " financed by a farang " .........clap2.gif

M x

Brucefarang.

We live in Isaan in a small village convenient for Tesco's and my farang food. There are 6 of us-Yai and Pota- my wife, myself and two children aged 4 and 12. We run a Vigo and regularly spend a night in Udon at a resort with a swimming pool (and a kitchen) my wife is an excellent English/Thai cook and so we eat in-with just occasional trips to KFC or McD's. We have a small farm (6 acres) which supplies us with rice and market garden produce which we eat/sell in the local market.

Our budget per month is dependant on a 4 or 5 week month -7000BT a week (4000 for her housekeeping and 3000 for me -diesel is always at least a 1000 and clothes come out of the rest as well as the 1000 for the resort weekends)- - 3000 baht for bills-now going to 4000- -330 gas, 300 water (mains) 700 internet and between 1600 and 2600 for electricity depending on time of year-(we have one AC in the bedroom)-we use our water pump daily in the dry season for the farm which is beginning to negate a/c savings as I put in more irrigation pipes.

This equals 28000 + 4000 bills= 32000 Baht in a four week month and 35000 +4000 bills in a 5 week month. Annual total 32000 X 8 and 39000 X 4= 412,000 pa.(34,330 average calendar month)

We live well on this although I do spend more on farm development_-fruit trees-which should (hopefully) bring in an income in a couple of years time.

Notice we run a car -couldn't do without it- a real boon for all the family and ideal for carting farmstuff about.

Hope this is helpful.

It sounds like survival mode rather than living, I live in BKK alone, I don't like the idea of having to get the calculator out to make minor purchace decisions, that would make life unpleasant. I need about 70k a month to live here, when I was at uni in Khon Kean 40k was enough.

We all live very differently! i am often asked how its possible to live on 15,000 baht a month inc rent! The answer is " very easily " but i don't drink or smoke! Drinking will " inflate your budget " to extreme levels.

Also Why rent or buy a motorbike? why not buy a Bicycle? or even " walk " Most people i have noticed in Thailand who have motorbikes in Thailand ( thai & farang ) are just " bloody lazy! " who needs a bike to travel 3 KM down the road when you can walk! ( and much better for you! )

Also if you are in a relationship with a thai lady and she is working then she must contribute to the monthly bills!

I have quite a few friends in Thailand all live with there Thai ladies ( who are working ) and all of them " split the monthly bills 50/50 " which is the best way! ( but of course if you are living with a lady who is working and she " refuses " to pay her half of the bills then it's " quite obvious " she perhaps isn't that interested in " YOU " and more interested in having her life " financed by a farang " .........clap2.gif

M x

Well said thank you

It sounds like survival mode rather than living, I live in BKK alone, I don't like the idea of having to get the calculator out to make minor purchace decisions, that would make life unpleasant. I need about 70k a month to live here, when I was at uni in Khon Kean 40k was enough.

May I ask what you spend a month on rent?

You certainly do 'live differently'! I know some Thai people on that kind of money (15k) who live very frugally indeed. Why come here and be worrying about money? I think some of these people will be heading home in the future, I'm told there's a big immigration rethink on the cards.

My rent is about 18 to 20k a month depending on electricity usage. I don't think that's much for BKK either, up in KK now you can rent a single room for 5k or a house for 10k. But BKK is massive so you need to live as close your workplace as possible.

Brucefarang.

We live in Isaan in a small village convenient for Tesco's and my farang food. There are 6 of us-Yai and Pota- my wife, myself and two children aged 4 and 12. We run a Vigo and regularly spend a night in Udon at a resort with a swimming pool (and a kitchen) my wife is an excellent English/Thai cook and so we eat in-with just occasional trips to KFC or McD's. We have a small farm (6 acres) which supplies us with rice and market garden produce which we eat/sell in the local market.

Our budget per month is dependant on a 4 or 5 week month -7000BT a week (4000 for her housekeeping and 3000 for me -diesel is always at least a 1000 and clothes come out of the rest as well as the 1000 for the resort weekends)- - 3000 baht for bills-now going to 4000- -330 gas, 300 water (mains) 700 internet and between 1600 and 2600 for electricity depending on time of year-(we have one AC in the bedroom)-we use our water pump daily in the dry season for the farm which is beginning to negate a/c savings as I put in more irrigation pipes.

This equals 28000 + 4000 bills= 32000 Baht in a four week month and 35000 +4000 bills in a 5 week month. Annual total 32000 X 8 and 39000 X 4= 412,000 pa.(34,330 average calendar month)

We live well on this although I do spend more on farm development_-fruit trees-which should (hopefully) bring in an income in a couple of years time.

Notice we run a car -couldn't do without it- a real boon for all the family and ideal for carting farmstuff about.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your detailed post, so looking at this I can get by as I don't have a pick up ?

My rent is about 18 to 20k a month depending on electricity usage. I don't think that's much for BKK either, up in KK now you can rent a single room for 5k or a house for 10k. But BKK is massive so you need to live as close your workplace as possible.

Sounds good. Thanks.

I throught I posted this on the Isaan forum, so it looks like most of these post are based on people not living in Issan and don't have a clue ?

Archived