How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

Jasonthai, There's another thread above yours titled " one of these typical unwanted events in Isaan ".

May I suggest you read it and then carry on looking forward to using the government hospitals.

HL

Cheers HL, just looked at it, shocking sounds like the rate the NHS will be going in the UK lol, this is something I need to sort out for the family, will look into cost for the family and adjust my budget

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP,

I* got a house outside Korat also, in Nongbon. What you listed is about right for the area (IMHO). If you want to stretch your budget a little further, and have a healthy hobby - take up gardening and fishing. Raising fish or Chickens or pigs might be a consideration to keep active and still contribute to your lifestyle without tapping your savings (for consumption, not selling.).

It does NOT account for inflation though. Budget in an additional 3-5% yearly and I think you will be fine.

(*=wife)

Jason they lowered the maximum years of work for a full pension down to thirty years, but raised the retirement age.

HL

Cheers that's good to know so I will only need to pay fo 1 year of NI crap as I will have already paid 29 years to get the full state pension if there is one or if I am still alive lol.

OP,

I* got a house outside Korat also, in Nongbon. What you listed is about right for the area (IMHO). If you want to stretch your budget a little further, and have a healthy hobby - take up gardening and fishing. Raising fish or Chickens or pigs might be a consideration to keep active and still contribute to your lifestyle without tapping your savings (for consumption, not selling.).

It does NOT account for inflation though. Budget in an additional 3-5% yearly and I think you will be fine.

(*=wife)

I am at present learning web design and will carry on learning when in Thailand so this will be my hobby with a hope to make this a source of income later on in life.

Inflation will be an issue here, but even by going at 3% per year on 312k will see an increase of 780 baht a month which I think is a bit much I would go for 2% IMHO 520 baht a month

We have surely come to Thailand to live a " Thai lifestyle " ?????

Lord no.

Life is about comfort.

We all have different comfort levels.

Mine does not include public transport, misc meat fried on a stick by a nosepicker, a non-Western style house without a nice private garden, not buying all the food we want from supermarkets once/twice a week without having to look at the cost. etc etc. I see locals with kids and the kid wants to buy some food/drink item for 40b and the parent has to tell them 'no' (often angrily), my heart goes out to both of them.

If one is forced to live here below their comfort level they really need to look at themselves.

I earn a good wage in the UK but still have to look at the cost of what I am spending at supermarkets when I do my shopping as prices have gone up a lot and when you have a Thai partner living with you and wants to eat Thai food all the time it can be very expensive eg a 10kg bag of Thai rice £16 (865 Baht) and don't get me starting on the prawns what I pay in a month can buy me food for a week in Thailand

I don't understand a lot of Westerners I meet. They want to "retire" at 50 years old, have no, or little

money and think they can "Live" in Thailand and enjoy life on $800/ month. First of all, why would any

man want to retire at 50 ? I liked working, your most productive years and greatest earning power is

in your 50's and early 60's when you are set in your career and haved climed up the ladder as far as

you can go.

I am so happy I worked until I was in my eary 60's, set now, and enjoy every day of "Retirement"

That's good for you and you are lucky, but remember the guys who are now in there 40/50's who have to work longer hours & do 2/3 people's job for the same money, Government putting up taxes and raising the age before you can get a state pension, reducing child tax benefits, no pay rise, the list goes on and on

I would rather be happy & poor in Thailand than stay in the UK

Lord no.

Life is about comfort.

Mine does not include public transport, misc meat fried on a stick by a nosepicker, a non-Western style house without a nice private garden, not buying all the food we want from supermarkets once/twice a week without having to look at the cost. etc etc. I see locals with kids and the kid wants to buy some food/drink item for 40b and the parent has to tell them 'no' (often angrily), my heart goes out to both of them.

If one is forced to live here below their comfort level they really need to look at themselves.

I don't think my " comfort level " is too bad with a nice condo & pool for 6,500 baht a month! wai.gif LOL

Nice place and you are happy which is the most important fact, I hope I end up the same as you

Cheers

J

Just remember one thing.

You can divide all expats in Thailand into one of two groups.

Those that will stay in Thailand as long as they want and those that have to go home.

Have seen many people that retired far too early, stayed ten years and then were forced to go home either through a health emergency that wiped out their savings, or exchange rate changes that didn't leave them enough to live on.

After ten years here, they were too old to re-enter the job market and I assume had to live destitute in their home countries.

You need an awful lot of money to ensure all contingencies are covered so that no two, or three unlucky events wipe you out.

Make sure you're in the first group, not the second.

If your budget is 26K a month, i'd try your best to live on less and put what you can aside, you'll need it at some point. Otherwise, put it off a couple of years and put as much away in that time before you head over.

Yea I plan to save any money I earn from teaching that's why I have posted to see how far 26K will go for a month

Lord no.

Life is about comfort.

Agreed - that's your personal choice (and mine), but you seem to want to impose your life choices on others by the manner in which you set out your opinions. Worse, you seem to think that your choices are the only way of being happy, which is risible and irritating (to me at least).

I was brought up in what became a comfortable and successful middle class environment, but when I was a kid my Dad was just starting out and we had very little money. I was constantly refused stuff like ice creams. Get real - that's part of normal life.

This is the first line of the OP:

"Hi guys & girls just wondering if you think I will be ok with my budget when I come over to live here next year, I have a budget of around 26,000 Baht per month, I have a little brat (9 years old), grown up brat (22 years old) & wife to look after,"

No, I would not be happy with that, and yes, I cannot imagine a fellow man, husband and father being happy (I mean really content and not just saying so) with it either. And no, a young child being refused something they want because it costs 40b and the father cannot afford is not part of life, it is a failure on the father's part to provide properly for his family.

Just remember one thing.

Those that will stay in Thailand as long as they want and those that have to go home.

Have seen many people that retired far too early, stayed ten years and then were forced to go home either through a health emergency that wiped out their savings, or exchange rate changes that didn't leave them enough to live on.

After ten years here, they were too old to re-enter the job market and I assume had to live destitute in their home countries.

You need an awful lot of money to ensure all contingencies are covered so that no two, or three unlucky events wipe you out.

Yes this is very true I will now stay in the UK till i am in my 60's that's if I make it to then, or I can go for it and say at least i tired, as long as I have funds set up to help me back in the UK then it will reduce the gamble

Just remember one thing.

Yes this is very true I will now stay in the UK till i am in my 60's that's if I make it to then, or I can go for it and say at least i tired, as long as I have funds set up to help me back in the UK then it will reduce the gamble

Lord no.

Life is about comfort.

Agreed - that's your personal choice (and mine), but you seem to want to impose your life choices on others by the manner in which you set out your opinions. Worse, you seem to think that your choices are the only way of being happy, which is risible and irritating (to me at least).

I was brought up in what became a comfortable and successful middle class environment, but when I was a kid my Dad was just starting out and we had very little money. I was constantly refused stuff like ice creams. Get real - that's part of normal life.

"Hi guys & girls just wondering if you think I will be ok with my budget when I come over to live here next year, I have a budget of around 26,000 Baht per month, I have a little brat (9 years old), grown up brat (22 years old) & wife to look after,"

No, I would not be happy with that, and yes, I cannot imagine a fellow man, husband and father being happy (I mean really content and not just saying so) with it either. And no, a young child being refused something they want because it costs 40b and the father cannot afford is not part of life, it is a failure on the father's part to provide properly for his family.

I am not that poor lol, but I surpose you are one of the people who will buy anything for there kids to keep them happy, mummy I want a PS3 lol, I watched my daughter grow up without nothing and she has learned to respect money and save, now look at the west where they must have the latest I Phone and other bits to keep up with there friends (peer pressure) but this does happen in Thailand but not as bad as in the west

Also by the way the 26K is only temp if you read my posts, to give me time to get my feet on the ground and just relax a bit

Lord no.

Life is about comfort.

I am not that poor lol, but I surpose you are one of the people who will buy anything for there kids to keep them happy, mummy I want a PS3 lol, I watched my daughter grow up without nothing and she has learned to respect money and save, now look at the west where they must have the latest I Phone and other bits to keep up with there friends (peer pressure) but this does happen in Thailand but not as bad as in the west

Also by the way the 26K is only temp if you read my posts, to give me time to get my feet on the ground and just relax a bit

"but I surpose you are one of the people who will buy anything for there kids to keep them happy"

No, I most certainly am not.

When it is hot here and a young child asks their dad for an icelol and the father cannot buy it for them because of finances, I pity both of them.

Sorry that upsets the poor people on here. smile.png

All the Thai friends that i have all earn about 10,000 baht a month and are happy and live a nice life! If a Thai can live on 10,000 baht a month then so can a farang! But there are so many farang living a " western Life " in Thailand.And of course it will be very expensive! You dont need " motorbikes " & " Pick ups " and paying ridiculous rents of more than 10,000 baht a month! ( crazy! ) We have surely come to Thailand to live a " Thai lifestyle " ????? I have a good income but choose to live a " simple life " ..........

" farang jaidee " xwub.png

How much does your Thai friends spend on their visa and trips out of Thailand ;) There will be a lot of expenses for a Farang that those Thais don't have. Especially if that Farang have Thai wife with two children

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

People are different , so no reason to tell others how they should live their lifes!

I live comfortably on about 30k per month . I own my condo . I can afford most things with 30k so some people talking about minimum 60k are living in a different world.

Someone choosing to live in an Isaan village will live cheap, just like a Thai , a Thai lifestyle can be a good way to live if you get used to it.

I would never choose it myself , I like to eat western food, still 30k is no problem to have a good life in Thailand.

It's a huge difference to own a condo and then live comfortable on 30 k alone. Then living 4 persons on 26-30 k.

People are different , so no reason to tell others how they should live their lifes!

I live comfortably on about 30k per month . I own my condo . I can afford most things with 30k so some people talking about minimum 60k are living in a different world.

Someone choosing to live in an Isaan village will live cheap, just like a Thai , a Thai lifestyle can be a good way to live if you get used to it.

I would never choose it myself , I like to eat western food, still 30k is no problem to have a good life in Thailand.

It's a huge difference to own a condo and then live comfortable on 30 k alone. Then living 4 persons on 26-30 k.

Guys, wake up. He has a house and he is living in the middle of nowhere. He is not going into this with rose coloured glasses. And he has some reserve cash. Sure he can't score a gogo girl every night, but that is not what he is after.

It is tight but can be done. He has spare capacity. By all accounts you will get there

Good luck and keep us posted.

The thing is with people 'retiring' to Isaan at age 50 on a low income is that after 3,4,5 years they may start to realize that Thailand and Isaan is not all that they were led to believe, and may well wish to get the h3ll out of there, or at least decide that it isn't for them after all.

Imagine being 55 and stuck in a place you have grown to hate, with no money, small income, and very little opportunity to move away to anywhere else.

Add an illness or medical issue into the equation and you have the stuff of nightmares.

I would seriously consider teaching Jason, not just for extra income but to :

1) Get you out of the house.

2) Give you a reason to get up in the morning.

3) Help you meet (hopefully) nice educated people (I don't mean that in a snobbish way).

4) Give you objectives that are NOT family based.

5) Stop you drinking &/or getting bored.

6) Make friends from different locations/backgrounds.

7) Motivation and to earn respect (hopefully)

That's how it helped me

Good for some, but not all.

You do need a bachelor's degree to get a teaching job.

Some schools will not make the effort to get you a work visa, and that puts you, not them at risk.

You may hear differently, but at least a basic understanding of the Thai language is necessary to teach English to Thai people.

It can be difficult to adapt to Thai style teaching, everything should be fun, no discipline, everyone passes, and you are expected to be entertaining.

About 70% of your students will not care about learning English and will ignore you.

.You are still young, they like that, but they also want good looking, handsome or pretty teachers..remember, you are an entertainer!

And #6...I found the frustrations of trying to teach in the Thai school system increased my drinking!

As i said, Teaching can be good for some, but not for all...

Choke Dee!

I would seriously consider teaching Jason, not just for extra income but to :

1) Get you out of the house.

2) Give you a reason to get up in the morning.

3) Help you meet (hopefully) nice educated people (I don't mean that in a snobbish way).

4) Give you objectives that are NOT family based.

5) Stop you drinking &/or getting bored.

6) Make friends from different locations/backgrounds.

7) Motivation and to earn respect (hopefully)

That's how it helped me

Good for some, but not all.

You do need a bachelor's degree to get a teaching job.

Some schools will not make the effort to get you a work visa, and that puts you, not them at risk.

You may hear differently, but at least a basic understanding of the Thai language is necessary to teach English to Thai people.

It can be difficult to adapt to Thai style teaching, everything should be fun, no discipline, everyone passes, and you are expected to be entertaining.

About 70% of your students will not care about learning English and will ignore you.

.You are still young, they like that, but they also want good looking, handsome or pretty teachers..remember, you are an entertainer!

And #6...I found the frustrations of trying to teach in the Thai school system increased my drinking!

As i said, Teaching can be good for some, but not for all...

Choke Dee!

What you say is true for teaching children in schools but some aspects are different when lecturing in Universities.

The thing is with people 'retiring' to Isaan at age 50 on a low income is that after 3,4,5 years they may start to realize that Thailand and Isaan is not all that they were led to believe, and may well wish to get the h3ll out of there, or at least decide that it isn't for them after all.

Imagine being 55 and stuck in a place you have grown to hate, with no money, small income, and very little opportunity to move away to anywhere else.

Add an illness or medical issue into the equation and you have the stuff of nightmares.

An accurate description of some folk here in Isaan and they get their entertainment by trolling on forums or at the bottom of a bottle of Archa. (Not meaning the OP or anyone specific BTW!!!)

Just remember one thing.

Yes, a lot can happen in ten years time – especially in Thailand – many of the farang actors in the “horror stories” had everything carefully planned out, they thought, and ended up broke in the “ten year group”.
We all have different preferences. But for what it’s worth for Jason – and others – I had the same thoughts in my fifties; should I keep on working for paying high taxes and mortgage, and save up some more money little by little; or should I say enough-is-enough. I was thinking about what it would be worth sitting in my rocking chair at a retirement home, sadly thinking about all that I could have done, if I had dared too, but now to old and disabled to live it out, even I have saved up enough to money to do it. I did the move in my mid fifties, well knowing, that if it went wrong I might end up in the “ten year group” and return ”home” for a rocking chair in a not too exciting governmental retirement home.
I am happy that I both had the opportunity and dared to take the risk, and I do not regret it – so far, one never know what the future may bring – had I stayed “home” I would have reached the financial depression and not being able to sell my property at a good price with a little overhead for me; it’s still not back up at the end of 2006-level where about the real estate market peaked in Denmark. I would have missed some nine outstanding good years of my life and still be waiting for the right moment – when is enough, enough – perhaps waiting forever; or just waiting for the rocking chair and sitting there talking with other elderly people about old time, and all that we could have done with our life, had we just had the courage to dare it. sad.png
Yes, better to try – can at least always say »I tried…« – and remember: Money may not make you happy – however it’s a bit more pleasant to be unhappy at the back seat of a Rolls Royce.
biggrin.png

Just remember one thing.

Yes, a lot can happen in ten years time – especially in Thailand – many of the farang actors in the “horror stories” had everything carefully planned out, they thought, and ended up broke in the “ten year group”.

We all have different preferences. But for what it’s worth for Jason – and others – I had the same thoughts in my fifties; should I keep on working for paying high taxes and mortgage, and save up some more money little by little; or should I say enough-is-enough. I was thinking about what it would be worth sitting in my rocking chair at a retirement home, sadly thinking about all that I could have done, if I had dared too, but now to old and disabled to live it out, even I have saved up enough to money to do it. I did the move in my mid fifties, well knowing, that if it went wrong I might end up in the “ten year group” and return ”home” for a rocking chair in a not too exciting governmental retirement home.

I am happy that I both had the opportunity and dared to take the risk, and I do not regret it – so far, one never know what the future may bring – had I stayed “home” I would have reached the financial depression and not being able to sell my property at a good price with a little overhead for me; it’s still not back up at the end of 2006-level where about the real estate market peaked in Denmark. I would have missed some nine outstanding good years of my life and still be waiting for the right moment – when is enough, enough – perhaps waiting forever; or just waiting for the rocking chair and sitting there talking with other elderly people about old time, and all that we could have done with our life, had we just had the courage to dare it. sad.png

Yes, better to try – can at least always say »I tried…« – and remember: Money may not make you happy – however it’s a bit more pleasant to be unhappy at the back seat of a Rolls Royce.

biggrin.png

I absolutely agree with you Per. But that's if you do it alone. When you do it with children it's different.

Just remember one thing.

I am happy that I both had the opportunity and dared to take the risk, and I do not regret it – so far, one never know what the future may bring – had I stayed “home” I would have reached the financial depression and not being able to sell my property at a good price with a little overhead for me; it’s still not back up at the end of 2006-level where about the real estate market peaked in Denmark. I would have missed some nine outstanding good years of my life and still be waiting for the right moment – when is enough, enough – perhaps waiting forever; or just waiting for the rocking chair and sitting there talking with other elderly people about old time, and all that we could have done with our life, had we just had the courage to dare it. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp

xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web

I absolutely agree with you Per. But that's if you do it alone. When you do it with children it's different.

If you read OPs posts he has a Thai family that also will help if needed , 26k is just in the beginning. And if they only eat Thai food I don't se the big problem . If you look at a normal average Thai family with kids, the parents share an income of maybe 25k if they both have a job.

OP already own his house so the budget will cover the rest .

Just remember one thing.

I am happy that I both had the opportunity and dared to take the risk, and I do not regret it – so far, one never know what the future may bring – had I stayed “home” I would have reached the financial depression and not being able to sell my property at a good price with a little overhead for me; it’s still not back up at the end of 2006-level where about the real estate market peaked in Denmark. I would have missed some nine outstanding good years of my life and still be waiting for the right moment – when is enough, enough – perhaps waiting forever; or just waiting for the rocking chair and sitting there talking with other elderly people about old time, and all that we could have done with our life, had we just had the courage to dare it. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp

xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web

If you read OPs posts he has a Thai family that also will help if needed , 26k is just in the beginning. And if they only eat Thai food I don't se the big problem . If you look at a normal average Thai family with kids, the parents share an income of maybe 25k if they both have a job.

OP already own his house so the budget will cover the rest .

But a normal Thai family don't need money for visa. And they don't need to go abroad now and then.

We are all different but when it's a big deal if the water cost 300 or 400 a month. Or what light bulb is least expensive come into the discussion ;) ........and no real health or accident plan. I would not bring a 9 year old kid from Europe to this school either. Don't you want your child to get as good education and start in life as possible?

My personal opinion is that you would be doing your 9 year old a great disservice by pulling him of of school in the UK to attend a local school here in Thailand.

Many many discussions/arguments about this on various other threads. The overwhelming majority of posters with experience of teaching here and/or having kids here agree that local schooling other than private EP schools and International schools is pretty abysmal.

I personally feel honour bound to provide my kids with the best education possible and give them the best chance in life.

Jason they lowered the maximum years of work for a full pension down to thirty years, but raised the retirement age.

HL

Cheers that's good to know so I will only need to pay fo 1 year of NI crap as I will have already paid 29 years to get the full state pension if there is one or if I am still alive lol.

my understanding,but its not entirely clear yet,is that for those of us below UK retirement age (when the goalposts move in 2015) will only get a state pension pro-rata to the new 35 years NI contributions required.

To give you my situation,I am 58,I was told by the UK Pensions service,some years ago that as I had made 30 years Ni contributions no further years needed to be paid to qualify for the full pension.

Now,it seems that I will only qualify for 30/35 or about 85% of the full state pension.

Additionally,I have not seen any openings for people circa my age to be able to purchase the additional 5 years.

So,it would seem,stuffed again................unless any of you know any different.

Archived