How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

I don't think my " comfort level " is too bad with a nice condo & pool for 6,500 baht a month! wai.gif LOL

Nice place and you are happy which is the most important fact, I hope I end up the same as you

Cheers

J

For 6500 baht the nice condo being spoken of will in all likelihood be a one bed studio, maybe 40 sq metres. In the UK, the only people who live in this sort of size accommodation, would be students, in dorms. And very poor people perhaps.

It's much like living in a hotel room. Fine for short periods but hardly the sort of thing you'd choose to do long term.

On a different matter, the OP mentioned earlier about going back to the UK and using the NHS if necessary, and not telling them about his non resident status. I'm afraid to say that big brother is one step ahead of you these days. A friend returning from an extended holiday in Thailand went to get medical treatment for an infected toe. Without him telling them, they knew he had been out of the country for over three months, and he had to pay.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think my " comfort level " is too bad with a nice condo & pool for 6,500 baht a month! wai.gif LOL

Nice place and you are happy which is the most important fact, I hope I end up the same as you

Cheers

J

For 6500 baht the nice condo being spoken of will in all likelihood be a one bed studio, maybe 40 sq metres. In the UK, the only people who live in this sort of size accommodation, would be students, in dorms. And very poor people perhaps.

It's much like living in a hotel room. Fine for short periods but hardly the sort of thing you'd choose to do long term.

On a different matter, the OP mentioned earlier about going back to the UK and using the NHS if necessary, and not telling them about his non resident status. I'm afraid to say that big brother is one step ahead of you these days. A friend returning from an extended holiday in Thailand went to get medical treatment for an infected toe. Without him telling them, they knew he had been out of the country for over three months, and he had to pay.

Did he go the Job Centre first to inform them he's back and employable?

No. Are you saying that had he, he would have been covered? If so, that's not my understanding of how it works. My understanding is that you have to have been back living in the UK for a certain period before you are no longer considered non resident. I may be wrong. One thing I do know is, don't count on authorities being ignorant as to your movements and status.

No. Are you saying that had he, he would have been covered? If so, that's not my understanding of how it works. My understanding is that you have to have been back living in the UK for a certain period before you are no longer considered non resident. I may be wrong. One thing I do know is, don't count on authorities being ignorant as to your movements and status.

Go to the job centre and you will be fully covered.

You can get treatment straightaway but as I said in an earlier post, you have to give a commitment that you are going to be resident for a minimum of six months.... I guess this is why Lucifer is saying to go to the job centre in order to make that commitment.

HL

One man's luxury is another man's poverty situation and yet another man's sense of waste.

Everyone is different, that is a fact of life. Why say someone is dumb for enjoyung their way of living?

No, I could not be content holed up playing video games and living cheap. That's not me, but hey, more power to those that do.

For me, a simple studio room is like living on my boat. More is just more that I don't really use. I would rather be out in the community serving or doing my research. Thise are my luxuries.

My huge is expense is medicine for Parkinson's disease. No matter how expensive Thailand will get, I will be better off here.

Yup, I eat Wsstern foods often, and I prefer to make my own as cooking and baking is relaxing for me - but restaurant food is often crud and processed.

I live on about 45k/mo including sending 6k+ to my family and the 10+k medicine. It is a very rich life for me and my (Filipino) wife.

Yeah, I would love a garden and fish pond, but right now I could not take care of them. So what? Life moves on.

Sorry if you need 4 bottles of Jack and a high-so address, but I feel pity for you. It's your choice, and mine is mine. Neither is wrong, just whaf we want.

So, OP, go for it, brother! Emergencies might happen. That is life. You will find your way. Don't wait, just live.

Jason they lowered the maximum years of work for a full pension down to thirty years, but raised the retirement age.

HL

Cheers that's good to know so I will only need to pay fo 1 year of NI crap as I will have already paid 29 years to get the full state pension if there is one or if I am still alive lol.

my understanding,but its not entirely clear yet,is that for those of us below UK retirement age (when the goalposts move in 2015) will only get a state pension pro-rata to the new 35 years NI contributions required.

To give you my situation,I am 58,I was told by the UK Pensions service,some years ago that as I had made 30 years Ni contributions no further years needed to be paid to qualify for the full pension.

Now,it seems that I will only qualify for 30/35 or about 85% of the full state pension.

Additionally,I have not seen any openings for people circa my age to be able to purchase the additional 5 years.

So,it would seem,stuffed again................unless any of you know any different.

I have just googled "UK pensions" and then gone into the govt website and checked to confirm to myself that I know what I am talking about, and the official word is "you need thirty years of contributions or credits in order to get your full pension entitlement" which is 110.15 per week.. have a look yourself, it's easy to do.

HL

Jason they lowered the maximum years of work for a full pension down to thirty years, but raised the retirement age.

HL

Cheers that's good to know so I will only need to pay fo 1 year of NI crap as I will have already paid 29 years to get the full state pension if there is one or if I am still alive lol.

my understanding,but its not entirely clear yet,is that for those of us below UK retirement age (when the goalposts move in 2015) will only get a state pension pro-rata to the new 35 years NI contributions required.

To give you my situation,I am 58,I was told by the UK Pensions service,some years ago that as I had made 30 years Ni contributions no further years needed to be paid to qualify for the full pension.

Now,it seems that I will only qualify for 30/35 or about 85% of the full state pension.

Additionally,I have not seen any openings for people circa my age to be able to purchase the additional 5 years.

So,it would seem,stuffed again................unless any of you know any different.

I have just googled "UK pensions" and then gone into the govt website and checked to confirm to myself that I know what I am talking about, and the official word is "you need thirty years of contributions or credits in order to get your full pension entitlement" which is 110.15 per week.. have a look yourself, it's easy to do.

HL

<deleted>? 8-) UK Pension is only £110.15 per week? You live in boarding houses and eat gruel with no teeth when you get old?

SO glad my US$2.5k/mo (USA maximum) is a comfortable amount.

HL

HL

Yes,I agree with you that is what is required for the "current" UK full pension entitlement ( 30 years NI contributions),but for those of us some years from retirement the rules appear to change before we reach retirement,its cited the new pension from 2015/2016 will be circa £ 140 per week,but 35 years of contributions are needed to qualify for this.So.. from what I have read those with 30 years contributions will qualify for 30/35th,s of the new pension,unless allowed to purchase the 5 additional years,its a grey area right now.

I suppose on a positive note 30/35th is £10 per week better than the current system but its galling for those of us caught in the transition period that( through no fault of our own) we could be caught short of 5 years contributions and incur the loss of benefit it would have bought.

No, I could not be content holed up playing video games and living cheap. That's not me, but hey, more power to those that do.

I can see how, for someone working long hours with two or three jobs, and with limited free time, the idea of being able to laze about watching videos and playing video games, must sound very appealing. I think for most people though it would quickly become quite depressing.

I think the biggest challenge to living out in the sticks in Thailand is the lack of social life. Not that you don't have any, but it is very different from what you are used to. In the UK, you can meet decent people and make good friendships, because you have a massive pool of people around you to choose from. In Isaan, if you are lucky, you might have half a dozen fellow natives in your vicinity, but what are the chances of you being naturally suited friends? Quite slim i'd say. Of course nothing to stop you having Thai friends, but how much you have in common with them might make deep and meaningful friendship tricky.

Some people, after they have their own families, do seem to think that friendship is not needed. It's a shame and i think has a negative affect on their long term mental health. Everyone should have friends.

Yes,I agree with you that is what is required for the "current" UK full pension entitlement ( 30 years NI contributions),but for those of us some years from retirement the rules appear to change before we reach retirement,its cited the new pension from 2015/2016 will be circa £ 140 per week,but 35 years of contributions are needed to qualify for this.So.. from what I have read those with 30 years contributions will qualify for 30/35th,s of the new pension,unless allowed to purchase the 5 additional years,its a grey area right now.

I suppose on a positive note 30/35th is £10 per week better than the current system but its galling for those of us caught in the transition period that( through no fault of our own) we could be caught short of 5 years contributions and incur the loss of benefit it would have bought.

What has given you the impression that you can't buy your shortfall of years? I paid for ten years of contributions in one hit about 5 years ago. Put me up to 20 years not and i was informed that if i pay for another 10 before retirement age, admittedly a long way off for me yet, that i will have a full pension. Not that it will be worth much i think, but nevertheless, something is better than nothing.

If you look at a normal average Thai family with kids, the parents share an income of maybe 25k if they both have a job.

OP already own his house so the budget will cover the rest .

If you look at the normal average Thai family with kids sharing an income of maybe 25k, 80% of them wished they had more

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Some people, after they have their own families, do seem to think that friendship is not needed. It's a shame and i think has a negative affect on their long term mental health. Everyone should have friends.

+1 very true

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its manageable but its a tight budget considering there are 4 of you.

When we are back home in Korat its at least double that, but we aren't held by a budget as such (four of us too).

Is your 22 year old a Thai national?

If so, I suggest you get him/her working to help with the bills and provide for themselves.

Good luck, hope it works out thumbsup.gif

Yes she is a Thai national and is working FT in Korat does not earn much 6500 Baht a month but she is willing to pay 1000 Baht a month and increase this to 2000 when she has finished paying off for the motorbike, I am not her father but brought her up from the age of 8 and paid for her through collage and now she call's me daddy and repsects me which is all I every wanted

you can make it but it will be tuff,get the 22year one in work,you dont need to pay for him/she if old to get a work.I hawe live here whith my wife and 2children for a long time,But now when they hawe finisch school they pay back,But i pay them first fore get good education Master deegre they both hawe now.And i hawe only 46k a mounth,Make your Thai family right and they willy to help out,Becuse ind the end the young pay back,And forgett a car get a bike to go around its the only way.And dont think fore funtime.Tuff but you get it back in couple of year

HL

HL

Well I have been looking and trying to find where it mentions the thirty five years...I can't find it anywhere.

Apparently the new single tier pension bill still hasn't been passed by parliament but assuming it is then as far as I can see by looking at the govt website the thirty years is still going to be current.

I am just saying I can't find the extra info so if you know where it is then can you post a link or say where we can check it please, if you know this is factual. Thanks.

What is going to be annoying is when the pension goes up to the proposed £140 and those of us living in Thailand stay at whatever rate we are on. It's bad enough when it goes up a little each year but a big hit like that....ouch.

HL

How about doing it and the three of ye F'ing work.

You as a teacher making 30k or whatever they get paid.

Her doing whatever she's qualified to do. Bottom of the line minimum wage of 300b p/d.

Same for the 22 yr old.

Now you have about 74k p/m income between the three of ye instead of no one working and leeching off a 26k baht pension.

Do that for 5 years, bank 20k p/m, then reassess.

I,ll look out for a link to more information and post it here.

Again,you are correct it has not been passed by parliament,but they have outlined their plans,as i,ve posted today.

There is an unbelievably long thread running about UK pensions already, why not take a look?

Go to the job centre and you will be fully covered.

Yes and claim JSA at the same time, helps pay for the flight ticket you have forked out to get back to the UK 5555

Her doing whatever she's qualified to do. Bottom of the line minimum wage of 300b p/d.

Same for the 22 yr old.

Now you have about 74k p/m income between the three of ye instead of no one working and leeching off a 26k baht pension.

I think you need to learn to read lol I have already said on quite a few occasions, that my wife will be working PT 4k a month and my daughter works but only gets 6.5k, I am looking to work PT but not right away

Cheers

J

What rubbish I know a lot of people doing it and you can still be out of the country for more than 90 days and get free NHS, just like I know people who don't tell that they have left the UK and still get the anual increase in their pensions

I,ll look out for a link to more information and post it here.

Again,you are correct it has not been passed by parliament,but they have outlined their plans,as i,ve posted today.

I read something like this last year so that's why I was going by the 35 years, I remember when it was 40 so I would not be surprised if it goes up to that in the next 10 years if not more as people are living and working longer.

I am sure this will be passed by parliament as it makes then more money

What rubbish I know a lot of people doing it and you can still be out of the country for more than 90 days and get free NHS, just like I know people who don't tell that they have left the UK and still get the anual increase in their pensions

You can get free NHS if you go to the emergency ward with an emergency situation, but if it's not an emergency and you go and visit your GP, it won't be free if you are non resident. As far as not declaring it is concerned, you may get away with it or you may not. The people you know did. The person I know didn't. Please don't call that fact "rubbish". It's akin to calling me a liar.

You can get free NHS if you go to the emergency ward with an emergency situation, but if it's not an emergency and you go and visit your GP, it won't be free if you are non resident. As far as not declaring it is concerned, you may get away with it or you may not. The people you know did. The person I know didn't. Please don't call that fact "rubbish". It's akin to calling me a liar.

There are many laws that can be broken and people get away with. Because that is what you are talking about, breaking the law, committing fraud on both counts, using the NHS and not telling about your place of residence when you draw a pension. If you want to be a criminal then so be it.

HL

Same for the 22 yr old.

I think you need to learn to read lol I have already said on quite a few occasions, that my wife will be working PT 4k a month and my daughter works but only gets 6.5k, I am looking to work PT but not right away

So your budget is not 26k but 36k.

Get a job as an English teacher (it can't be that hard) once you've gotten over leeching around the place and that will be up to 65-70k p/m.

There are many laws that can be broken and people get away with. Because that is what you are talking about, breaking the law, committing fraud on both counts, using the NHS and not telling about your place of residence when you draw a pension. If you want to be a criminal then so be it.

HL

Agreed but no need to direct those comments at me. I wasn't the one advocating lying to authorities. I was the one advising that if you do, you may get found out. Just because the OP knows people who have got away with it, he shouldn't just assume he will be as lucky. Big Brother is gradually working out how to connect the dots. Don't know how, but it certainly connected the dots for my friend. He wasn't intentionally trying to cheat the system. Just got back from extended holidays, went to see his GP, was treated, was then asked to pay because they were aware he had been out of the country for longer than three months.

Anyway, personally, I'm not particularly morally righteous about those people who do fib a little. If they do so and get away with it, up to them, just that for me, I wouldn't be comfortable with doing it.

sorry i am not calling you a liar, but you can spend more than 90 days away from the UK and still be classed as a resident, what happens to gap years students who what to travel also why would I come back to the UK if it was not an emergency ?

Same for the 22 yr old.

Get a job as an English teacher (it can't be that hard) once you've gotten over leeching around the place and that will be up to 65-70k p/m.

That's the plan but first I want to learn more Thai as it will help me and then work after that

sorry i am not calling you a liar, but you can spend more than 90 days away from the UK and still be classed as a resident, what happens to gap years students who what to travel also why would I come back to the UK if it was not an emergency ?

Haha Jason you are lying in the road with brain damage after being hit by a car,

and an ambulance comes along and you say "no thanks I want a taxi to the airport". Lol

Come on mate, surely you know what is classified as an emergency don't you.

And presumably the gap year students have returned after their gap year in which case they will be staying for the following six months. Jeez mate, these are the laws of the country why are you trying to argue that there are ways around them. If the law states something then you abide by it or you are committing a crime....no way around that, I'm afraid.

And rixalex I wasn't directing my comments at you mate, just being lazy with the quote button, and I agree with you, I too would not be comfortable with doing it.....a bit like walking through customs with a case full of cigarettes, which I also would not do. Lol

HL

Same for the 22 yr old.

Do you really add the daughters small income to his budget???

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Archived