Chiang Mai Soldier Dies of Swine Flu

Rimmer

Chiang Mai Soldier Dies of Swine Flu

1391526607.jpg

It was first thought that the cause of death was a lung infection but his family asked for an autopsy and sent his corpse to Maharaj Nakorn Chiang Mai Hospital. The results revealed that the soldier had died of H1Ni/2009, which is a type of swine flu. It has been now found that 11 soldiers in Kawila Camp, and 16 other soldiers from other camps are sick and showing symptoms of flu.

Officials have assured the public that the virus is not likely to spread as it did in 2009 thanks to the Tamiflu antiviral pill which can heal the virus efficiently and is commonly used in army camps.

Full story:http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=3156

--CITY NEWS 2014-02-08

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, wrong diagnosis.

Second, try to cover up, although 27 more soldiers have the virus.

Third wrong message given to the public.

Should we be worried????????

First, wrong diagnosis - correct

Secondly, try to cover up - how so, by publicly announcing that he died of swine flue and by giving out the information that numerous others are infected as well???

• Like 1

My wife avoids the Chinese tourists as she believes they are carriers of swine and bird flu.

Spoken like a true xenophobe. I love Thailand's indigenous population for the frank and unabashed display of their sincere beliefs, when it comes to foreigners. No political correctness to be found here lads. Carry on. 555

Not to mention the fact that avian flu has never spread from human to human before.

Obviously, xenophobes and other prejudiced people don't rely on logic or facts before they decide what to do... otherwise they wouldn't be xenophobes or prejudiced in the first place!

• Like 2

pacovl46, on 08 Feb 2014 - 16:23, said:
Costas2008, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:25, said:

First, wrong diagnosis.

Secondly, try to cover up - how so, by publicly announcing that he died of swine flue and by giving out the information that numerous others are infected as well???

If the relatives didn't ask for an autopsy and the results made public, they had no intention of giving any information.

But again this is not unusual for Thailand, everything is swept under the carpet, till somebody brings it up.

• Like 2

Swine flu is popping up in the news again.

It was only the other day Egypt announced 24 people had died from it in the past 2 months and a further 197 hospitalised since december 1st 2013.

Several years ago the Ehyptian government ordered the destruction of all the pigs in Egypt farmed by the Coptic Christians. That worked out well for them didn't it?

My wife avoids the Chinese tourists as she believes they are carriers of swine and bird flu.

Spoken like a true xenophobe. I love Thailand's indigenous population for the frank and unabashed display of their sincere beliefs, when it comes to foreigners. No political correctness to be found here lads. Carry on. 555

Not to mention the fact that avian flu has never spread from human to human before.

Obviously, xenophobes and other prejudiced people don't rely on logic or facts before they decide what to do... otherwise they wouldn't be xenophobes or prejudiced in the first place!

Avian flu certainly has spread from human to human, although it is reported to be rare and not sustained. This is closely monitored though because it is possible that the virus can change and become more widely spread by humans.

pacovl46, on 08 Feb 2014 - 16:23, said:
Costas2008, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:25, said:

First, wrong diagnosis.

If the relatives didn't ask for an autopsy and the results made public, they had no intention of giving any information.

But again this is not unusual for Thailand, everything is swept under the carpet, till somebody brings it up.

Sweeping unpleasant news under the carpet is certainly not unique to Thailand.

• Like 2

Remember all those mysterious deaths in that hotel in Chiang Mai 2 or 4 years ago? Did they ever nail that one down? No wonder they were keeping this low profile.

The positive side is....at least we now know a problem exists there.

Swine flu has popped up here and there in various countries for some years now.

Just two days ago, two deaths were reported in Santa Cruz county, California.

I avoid the Chinese tourists as well, but only because I am afraid they are going to use me as a spittoon. Did 3 trips to China and was amazed at their habits. Eating in a restaurant there was a real experience.

• Like 2

Sad that there is a non-political killer on the loose. My condolences to his family and I hope the other guys recover ok.

I did notice a slight error in the OP "Officials have assured the public that the virus is not likely to spread as it did in 2009 thanks to the Tamiflu antiviral pill which can heal the virus efficiently and is commonly used in army camps."

I think I would rather the virus was not healed.

• Like 1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankrumholz/2013/01/08/the-myth-of-tamiflu-5-things-you-should-know/

I would not be relying on Tamiflu for safeguarding my health.

Until they get this properly sorted it is a potential problem. I hope home leave from the affected camps is curtailed til it is sorted. Good on the family for the privately initiated autopsy.

I avoid the Chinese tourists as well, but only because I am afraid they are going to use me as a spittoon. Did 3 trips to China and was amazed at their habits. Eating in a restaurant there was a real experience.

I know where you're coming from, when I worked offshore in China I either tried to be very early or the last one for food and 2 days ago in a 5 star hotel in Singapore a Chinese guy did a big hack in the breakfast room and was about to spit it in a bin when the staff directed him to the toilet. I don't mind real Chinese food but eating at the same time as them is an experience.

First, wrong diagnosis.

If you see everything here as negative as you, yes we all should worrie then.

Are you one of those that believe positive thinking will cure everything?

Correction: H5N1 had spread among some humans in Indonesia in 2008, but not on a large scale. Fortunately the virus has not yet adapted to survive well in human hosts and to easily spread among humans. However, there are several Bird Flu viruses out now and the latest one H10N8 has just popped up with a mutation that might make it easy for that virus to spread between humans. If that will be the case, the H1N9 pandemic (Swine Flu) will be a picnic in comparison.

Remember all those mysterious deaths in that hotel in Chiang Mai 2 or 4 years ago? Did they ever nail that one down? No wonder they were keeping this low profile.

The positive side is....at least we now know a problem exists there.

Swine flu has popped up here and there in various countries for some years now.

Just two days ago, two deaths were reported in Santa Cruz county, California.

H1N9 (swine flu) is circulating worldwide and will continue to do so for some more time. There are surely more people dying of it than reported, because the number of those dead is not really high. It is probably not even higher than the usual seasonal influenca, which kills hundreds of thousand of people worldwide every year. After a while humankind has enough immunity and it will fizzle out. More dangerous are the other Influenza B animal visurses that can infect humans. When they can spread easily between humans, then we have a real problem!

• Like 1

I had H1N1 in December in Chiang Mai, I was hospitalized in Chiang Mai Ram. You should know that this flu causes high fever 41 ° to 42 ° for + - 4 days. Treatment with Tamiflu and other medications. It's like a flu, but much stronger. Now I am healed and in March, they will give me the vaccine.

I had H1N1 in December in Chiang Mai, I was hospitalized in Chiang Mai Ram. You should know that this flu causes high fever 41 ° to 42 ° for + - 4 days. Treatment with Tamiflu and other medications. It's like a flu, but much stronger. Now I am healed and in March, they will give me the vaccine.

Once you survived the H1N1 infection you have immunity and there is no need to give you the vaccine. The virus has "vaccinated" you and the vaccine that you might be offered will not add any further benefits, unless it is also a vaccine against other types of influenza viruses.