Chiang Mai Soldier Dies of Swine Flu

Rimmer

I had H1N1 in December in Chiang Mai, I was hospitalized in Chiang Mai Ram. You should know that this flu causes high fever 41 ° to 42 ° for + - 4 days. Treatment with Tamiflu and other medications. It's like a flu, but much stronger. Now I am healed and in March, they will give me the vaccine.

Once you survived the H1N1 infection you have immunity and there is no need to give you the vaccine. The virus has "vaccinated" you and the vaccine that you might be offered will not add any further benefits, unless it is also a vaccine against other types of influenza viruses.

I have an appointment in March to the hospital, the doctor have told me the vaccine. I am Belgian and I asked my doctor, he confirms what you said, normally I'm immunized against H1N1. So we'll see what the doctor tell me to Chang Mai Ram in March.
Wash your vegetables and even meat, soak them with vinegar.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember all those mysterious deaths in that hotel in Chiang Mai 2 or 4 years ago? Did they ever nail that one down? No wonder they were keeping this low profile.

The positive side is....at least we now know a problem exists there.

Swine flu has popped up here and there in various countries for some years now.

Just two days ago, two deaths were reported in Santa Cruz county, California.

H1N9 (swine flu) is circulating worldwide and will continue to do so for some more time. There are surely more people dying of it than reported, because the number of those dead is not really high. It is probably not even higher than the usual seasonal influenca, which kills hundreds of thousand of people worldwide every year. After a while humankind has enough immunity and it will fizzle out. More dangerous are the other Influenza B animal visurses that can infect humans. When they can spread easily between humans, then we have a real problem!

Swine flu (H1N1) has been for about 100 years. A huge swine flu epidemic
(called pandemic) in 1918 infected 500 million people worldwide and killed
50-100 million. This was called the "greatest medical holocaust in history."
In 1976, the death of a soldier at Fort Dix, NJ was attributed to a new strain
of H1N1. Amazingly, 14 folks were hospitalized, but the outbreak was limited
to Fort Dix and there were no other deaths.
In 2009, a swine flu outbreak in Veracruz. Mexico quickly spread worldwide
and became pandemic. Experts (including WHO) estimate the worldwide death
toll at about 285,000.
Source: Wikipedia
The 2009 pandemic killed several times as many people as the 1918 pandemic,
so I'm not sure why it is not called the "greatest medical holocaust"... sick.gif

So far in 2014, several swine flu outbreaks have been reported, including the

following --
- 4 Feb -- the soldier who died at Camp Kawila in Chiang Mai
- 4 Feb -- 24 deaths reported in Egypt
- 6 Feb -- 2 deaths in Santa Cruz county (southern California)
- 6 Feb -- 5 deaths were reported in central Florida
Considering swine flu's deadly history during the last century, and particularly
the huge death toll in 2009, it may be prudent to keep an eye on the swine flu
outbreaks in your area.
The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers the following
tips regarding swine flu prevention --

Remember all those mysterious deaths in that hotel in Chiang Mai 2 or 4 years ago? Did they ever nail that one down? No wonder they were keeping this low profile.

The positive side is....at least we now know a problem exists there.

Swine flu has popped up here and there in various countries for some years now.

Just two days ago, two deaths were reported in Santa Cruz county, California.

H1N9 (swine flu) is circulating worldwide and will continue to do so for some more time. There are surely more people dying of it than reported, because the number of those dead is not really high. It is probably not even higher than the usual seasonal influenca, which kills hundreds of thousand of people worldwide every year. After a while humankind has enough immunity and it will fizzle out. More dangerous are the other Influenza B animal visurses that can infect humans. When they can spread easily between humans, then we have a real problem!

toll at about 285,000.
so I'm not sure why it is not called the "greatest medical holocaust"... sick.gif

following --
Considering swine flu's deadly history during the last century, and particularly
outbreaks in your area.

Another correction. The Spanish Flu Pandemic caused 20 - 50 million deaths, more than the first world war and the number of deaths of the "Swine Flu" Pandemic in 2009 is much, much smaller, not larger! The "Swine Flu" Pandemic is actually a Sissy and has probably killed LESS people than the usual seasonal flu that occurs every single year. If any of the real Avian Influenza ("Bird Flu") viruses acquires the ability to quickly spread from human to human, then we will probably have the greatest medical holocaust ever.

Edited by ineu
  • Like 1

First, wrong diagnosis.

Second, try to cover up, although 27 more soldiers have the virus.

Third wrong message given to the public.

Should we be worried????????

Don't worry, the army camps use Tamiflu. That means they won't get Swine Flu. Well, except for 26 of them, but they are probably using TAT arithmetic, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to official numbers.

Besides, if it gets too bad, they will just stop reporting the real numbers like they did with SARS, Bird Flu, and Swine Flu before. If they don't report it, you can't catch it.

• Like 1

First, wrong diagnosis.

Don't worry, the army camps use Tamiflu. That means they won't get Swine Flu. Well, except for 26 of them, but they are probably using TAT arithmetic, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to official numbers.

Besides, if it gets too bad, they will just stop reporting the real numbers like they did with SARS, Bird Flu, and Swine Flu before. If they don't report it, you can't catch it.

There is no reason for panic, because the number of patients who die after falling sick with H1N1 is rather very low and there will have been hundreds or even thousands in Thailand who have been infected in recent weeks and months, but only few of them die.

Tamiflu is effective, but only if given within the first 2 days, afterwards it is not sure any longer whether it can still save those who might die. Maybe they have now given Tamiflu as a preventive measure to all those who were in close contact to the diseased.

New human cases of Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID) in Asia will be dealt with very openly. No country can afford to be blamed for hiding the truth when it comes to new diseases emerging, this is one of the lessons of SARS and even China will not dare to be identified again as hiding a problem that can cause pandemics. There is a very active collaboration in ASEAN about the response to such EIDs.

toll at about 285,000.

following --
outbreaks in your area.

Another correction. The Spanish Flu Pandemic caused 20 - 50 million deaths, more than the first world war and the number of deaths of the "Swine Flu" Pandemic in 2009 is much, much smaller, not larger! The "Swine Flu" Pandemic is actually a Sissy and has probably killed LESS people than the usual seasonal flu that occurs every single year. If any of the real Avian Influenza ("Bird Flu") viruses acquires the ability to quickly spread from human to human, then we will probably have the greatest medical holocaust ever.

Thanks, you are totally correct. Math has never been my strong suit... sick.gif

First, wrong diagnosis.

If you see everything here as negative as you, yes we all should worrie then.

Most if not all things on here are negative, have been that way for years. After you have been here for a few years you will see. And I am only talking about this site.

My wife avoids the Chinese tourists as she believes they are carriers of swine and bird flu.

I avoid the Chinese tourists as well, but only because I am afraid they are going to use me as a spittoon. Did 3 trips to China and was amazed at their habits. Eating in a restaurant there was a real experience.

We have had a number of guests from China over the past few years,4 currently, relatives etc.

We always wear face masks and Wellington boots when in their company and carry a plentiful supply of antiseptic wipes and antibiotics, works for us.

I did notice a slight error in the OP "Officials have assured the public that the virus is not likely to spread as it did in 2009 thanks to the Tamiflu antiviral pill which can heal the virus efficiently and is commonly used in army camps."

I think I would rather the virus was not healed.

I noticed that small blunder, too. Cetainly, they wouldn't want to make the virus stronger by healing it. Perhaps it was a misspelling of 'heel', meaning 'to bring under control', as in to heel a dog?

I have read that there is no 'medicinal cure' for a viral infestation. However, with alternative medicine, herbology suggests that ingesting coconut oil may be a safe and healthy method of killing many virus cells by breaking down the cell membrane.

willem1946, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:28, said:
Costas2008, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:25, said:

First, wrong diagnosis.

So, Oh clever one, tell us what is positive about this report?

And it's worry or be worried.....not worrie.

For both of us English is not our mother language.....but try to read your post before you submit it next time.

Sounds like "willem1946" went-off Half-cocked, a common enough complaint!

Soldier dies of health complications
Nopniwat Krailerg

Authorities allay fears of bird flu outbreak

n5flu.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Army officers and public health officials allay worries that the recent death of a soldier was from flu, noting he died from other health complications. They encouraged at risk people, including children and the elderly or those in poor health, to get the flu vaccine.

A Karen soldier who died at Theppanya Hospital in Chiang Mai on January 29, 2014 did have the H1N1 flu virus but did not die from the virus but rather complications from pneumonitis the Commander of the 7th Infantry Division announced on January 31, 2014.

Read More: http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd6

[chiangmaimail]2014-02-09[/chiangmaimail]

Soldier dies of health complications

Nopniwat Krailerg

Authorities allay fears of bird flu outbreak

n5flu.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Army officers and public health officials allay worries that the recent death of a soldier was from flu, noting he died from other health complications. They encouraged at risk people, including children and the elderly or those in poor health, to get the flu vaccine.

A Karen soldier who died at Theppanya Hospital in Chiang Mai on January 29, 2014 did have the H1N1 flu virus but did not die from the virus but rather complications from pneumonitis the Commander of the 7th Infantry Division announced on January 31, 2014.

Read More: http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd6

[chiangmaimail]2014-02-09[/chiangmaimail]

Now that is what I call misleading or misinformation. He died of pneumonitis or probably finally of multiple organ failure, but that doesn't come out of the air. Those were the final results of the H1N1 infection, caused by an overreaction of the immune system to the H1N1 infection. So, he most probably still died because of his H1N1 infection, without which he would not have developed the pneumonitis. And with pandemic viruses such as H1N1, it is NOT just the kids, elderly and those in poor health who should be vaccinated (unless they have been infected already, which makes them immune against another infection with the same virus). Pandemic viruses unfortunately actually kill many who are in good health with a strong immune system!

I usually get a flu shot. I haven't gotten one yet, but I will in the next week.

There are different types of flu shots and my doctor had told me to wait until Dec/Jan so that they get the right combinations in the shot for Thailand.

willem1946, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:28, said:
Costas2008, on 08 Feb 2014 - 11:25, said:

First, wrong diagnosis.

So, Oh clever one, tell us what is positive about this report?

And it's worry or be worried.....not worrie.

For both of us English is not our mother language.....but try to read your post before you submit it next time.

Sounds like "willem1946" went-off Half-cocked, a common enough complaint!

Sorry but some people has more important things to do then always find reason to complain here.

Hello all,

Several days ago, I tried to get the following information to the media, but nobody listened (except for TV)....

about two weeks ago, one person, in Chiang Dao, Chiang Mai Province, died from was said to be the Swine Flu. They quickly wrapped the body in white cloth and burned it and kept it quiet. A wasn't sure if is was true, when I first heard it, so I didn't go public then.

About a week later, when we got back from a three day bike ride, on February 7th, our staff informed us, that eight more people had died of Swine flu, in the previous three days, all in Chiang Dao Hospital.

A day after, the Cesabaan went to the hospital and asked, "How come the public has not been informed?" Well, the public still isn't informed. I sent an email to the Nation Newspaper, because their phones were closed after hours, on February 8th and I also tried to contact the Bangkok Post, who left me on hold for ten minutes after I told them, what it was all about. Never heard back from them. Neither of them got back to me.

This is a big coverup. Most people, in business, seem to think, it is more important to make money, than to save lives.

We run a bar/restaurant in Chiang Dao, but we feel, that saving lives is more important. I rather go broke, than be responsible for a death of an innocent person.

I hope the papers and news media start investigating this. I was sad, when I just checked my email, two days after contacting the Nation and received no response, after I asked them to send a reporter to investigate.

If any of you, have media contacts, please do ask them to investigate and to ask both the Chiang Dao Hospital and the Cesabaan some questions. The important thing, is to get this information out, before more people die. At last count, 9 people in Chiang Dao died from it and over 30, from one little area of town, were in the hospital with symptons.

I blame the Government, media and greedy businesses for covering this up!

My wife avoids the Chinese tourists as she believes they are carriers of swine and bird flu.

It is most likely your wife is Thai with very little education and wearing the pants in the relationship because this statement is ignorant! you being some what educated should know better but most likely can't disagree otherwise you would get the silent treatment.

First, wrong diagnosis.

I have been trying for days to report the nine people, who have died in Chiang Dao, of the Swine Flu. Eight of them, died within the past five days and the 9th within the past two weeks. Both Chiang Dao Hospital and the local Government are covering it up. It is almost impossible to get this information out to the media. Thank you for posting something about the Soldier that died of the Swine Flu, Rimmer. This gave me the opportunity to get this news out.

I am posting under my real name and my wife owns and operates a Biker Bar/Restaurant in Chiang Dao, so this is definitely not in our own interest to bring this information to light. We just don't want anyone else to die, so we can't keep our mouth's shut about this. angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif

• Like 2

First, wrong diagnosis.

I have been trying for days to report the nine people, who have died in Chiang Dao, of the Swine Flu. Eight of them, died within the past five days and the 9th within the past two weeks. Both Chiang Dao Hospital and the local Government are covering it up. It is almost impossible to get this information out to the media. Thank you for posting something about the Soldier that died of the Swine Flu, Rimmer. This gave me the opportunity to get this news out.

I am posting under my real name and my wife owns and operates a Biker Bar/Restaurant in Chiang Dao, so this is definitely not in our own interest to bring this information to light. We just don't want anyone else to die, so we can't keep our mouth's shut about this. angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif

Seems to be quite a few pig farms in the area, and waste run off into streams - are you aware of any link between the victims?

First, wrong diagnosis.

Seems to be quite a few pig farms in the area, and waste run off into streams - are you aware of any link between the victims?

Most of them are from a local Chiang Dao district called Tungakhong (not sure about the spelling). As far as I know, they all died in Chiang Dao Hospital. The people from the Cesabaan (local Government) went to check it out, but it is still covered up. The first body, they burned right away, to cover it up. There need to be some autopsies done and the source needs to be found.

Yes, there are a few pig farms up here.

First, wrong diagnosis.

Most of them are from a local Chiang Dao district called Tungakhong (not sure about the spelling). As far as I know, they all died in Chiang Dao Hospital. The people from the Cesabaan (local Government) went to check it out, but it is still covered up. The first body, they burned right away, to cover it up. There need to be some autopsies done and the source needs to be found.

Perhaps this needs moving to the main Thaivisa news forum, rather than being hidden away in the CM news forum.

• Like 1

Perhaps this needs moving to the main Thaivisa news forum, rather than being hidden away in the CM news forum.

I totally agree. I'm just glad that TV picked it up, because I am banging my head against the wall, trying to get other media to investigate it. Couldn't get through to the Nation or the B. Post, so I posted it here and on our Facebook page for Chiang Dao. Will try both newspapers again, during business hours tomorrow. wai2.gif

For the more scientifically minded you may like to read this explanation of a virus (and also a germ) http://www.myuniversalfacts.com/2006/12/bacteria-germs-and-viruses-difference.html

For the mildly curious the explanation would probably be a bit tedious.

I note an earlier poster wrote "Wash your vegetables and even meat, soak them with vinegar."

Do this if you like but under no circumstances is it to be relied upon to kill or otherwise clean the food of harmful germs and bacteria. The only way is to cook until the centre of the food has maintained a temperature of 70 deg. C for at least 10 minutes.

Washing food generally means rinsing under a cold tap. This will clean of the dust and debris but not the germs and viruses.

Loss of life through disease is part of the natural selection process. Having said that it always seems to be a cruel blow to lose a loved one in such circumstances.

I avoid the Chinese tourists as well, but only because I am afraid they are going to use me as a spittoon. Did 3 trips to China and was amazed at their habits. Eating in a restaurant there was a real experience.

Eating in my home country, the USA, is an experience. Nose picking, spitting, flossing of teeth, passing gas, belching, loud talking, drunkenness, rude behavior...see where this is going? Behaviors, good or otherwise, have no national boundaries. Likewise, stereotyping and finger pointing, seems to be universal as well.

Live and Let Live.

Eating in my home country, the USA, is an experience. Nose picking, spitting, flossing of teeth, passing gas, belching, loud talking, drunkenness, rude behavior...see where this is going? Behaviors, good or otherwise, have no national boundaries. Likewise, stereotyping and finger pointing, seems to be universal as well.

Live and Let Live.

Some Russians smoke whilst eating breakfast. Does that have a parallel in the USA?