Opening a bank account on a Tourist Visa

Bountyhuntr

Hi guys, this is in Bangkok only. Obviously the changes of rules seem to require you to have a work permit, student ID or letter from consulate(though most seem to tell me only permit but have got told the others will work too).

there was talk about kasikorn bank by on nut bts offering accounts without a permit but still failed to find one that will.

anybody know of any branches that will supply you without requiring a permit, cheers.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. I have, in the past, heard that the banks in the Khao San area seem to be a little less formal. I haven't heard this said in the past 2 years but it does stand to reason that if any banks are then it would be the ones that would benefit the most from it.

It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. I have, in the past, heard that the banks in the Khao San area seem to be a little less formal. I haven't heard this said in the past 2 years but it does stand to reason that if any banks are then it would be the ones that would benefit the most from it.

Not true at all. Bangkok Bank give detailed instructions on how you can open a bank account as a foreigner without a work permit, and you can consult their website to find out.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Extract below.

"In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Not true at all. Bangkok Bank give detailed instructions on how you can open a bank account as a foreigner without a work permit, and you can consult their website to find out.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Extract below.

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Thanks for the reply about Bangkok Bank, that's the one that told me about obtaining a letter, not sure why I said consulate instead. Any ideas on kasikorn bank? I've been in thailand 2 months now, and staying for 6+ so need to get a bank,

Extract below.

Still no mention of this being possible on a tourist visa. I have opened 2 bank a/c on Non Immi B with no work permit. Not a problem. Tourist visa? Not so easy.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

Extract below.

Still no mention of this being possible on a tourist visa. I have opened 2 bank a/c on Non Immi B with no work permit. Not a problem. Tourist visa? Not so easy.

Bangkok bank at avenue by major ratchayothin did say i needed a letter, so will give it a try

"It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. "

I opened my account years ago while here on a tourist visa and there have been posts on TV from others who have done so, even quite recently.

You need to go around and try branches in areas where there are likely to be a fair number of farang who have accounts, but it certainly should be doable.

I opened another account at Kasikorn Bank last July but, as usual, it really is at the branch manager's discretion.

Kasikorn in the Interchange building at Asoke said - very snootily, I might add - I had to renew my rental contract because it only had a month or so to run.

That was stupid and utterly illogical so I went to another branch in Exchange Tower at Asoke. Talk about a completely different experience. Really nice, friendly assistant manager sat me down, took copies of my rental contract, did the paperwork and was done in 30 minutes.

Made a point of going back to the Interchange branch to the haughty trout who dismissed my original enquiry and paying in a substantial lump of cash into my new account.

She asked which branch had organised it.

I replied, "One that knows the bank's criteria"

Extract below.

On the contrary, there is a specific mention of a tourist visa.

Here is what they say on the details of how to open the account, under the documents required tab, on the exact page I linked to !

"You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

Documents Required:

1. Valid passport, and
      • 2. ONE of the following documents:
          • An identity card issued by a government institution or university such as: etc etc etc"

Extract below.

On the contrary, there is a specific mention of a tourist visa.

Here is what they say on the details of how to open the account, under the documents required tab, on the exact page I linked to !

"You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

Documents Required:

1. Valid passport, and
      • 2. ONE of the following documents:
          • An identity card issued by a government institution or university such as: etc etc etc"

Utterly agreed but I still think that it will be MUCH different in reality. Many banks will just say "No!" because they don't have anybody who speaks English or because they have no experience of the system. If you note all the people coming on and saying they had success did it in an area frequented by LOTS of foreign nationals.

The OP tried a bank in a less "touristy" area and had no luck. If he was to try MBK (heard that one before), Khao San, lower Sukhumvit, etc then he is more likely to get some success. When I opened my K-Bank account I had tried in the branch (Charan Sanit Wong) the week before and it was a "No!". On the day I was accompanied by a good friend who happens to be one of the branch's more "influential" customers (and Thai) and everything was plain sailing. Meanwhile another friend (English) had no problem opening an account on a tourist visa at K Bank near the Khao San.

Go to tourist areas and you will get MUCH more luck.

Many years ago I opened an account in SCB on a tourist visa I gave them the address where I was staying plus £10, 000 deposit however had it only been a couple of quid I do not think they would have entertained me it comes down to how much you are placing with the bank. On one occasion I tried to open an account for my British wife they refused as she was my dependant I then proceeded to withdraw 800,000 baht from my account when the manager asked me why I explained as they had turned my wife's application down this money was to open an account on her behalf with the bank across the road within five minutes there had been a change of mind and my wife had her own account the thought of losing money was to great !!!!!!

Yes you can open one no problem. Mind you I went to a few (with Thai chick to help) and was told no go. Then a farang told me to true krungthai bank in Sukhumvit road nanna. No people except I had to agree to receiving zero interest.

Bangkok Bank will open a bank account on tourist visa no problem. You just get ATM card on savings account but works as Visa card as well and also Rabbit. They advertise on website that tourist friendly. I opened at Bangkapi branch which is between Sukhumvit Soi 8 and 10. Go to the first floor with copies of passport, proof of address and visa.

182 Sukhumvit Road

SCB bank, no chance anywhere.

Go to Bangkok Bank, there are two on Ekkamai (Suk 63)

Try the branch at The Horizon building (just next to where Scoozi Pizza place is)

Passport, details of address in Bangkok, probably need a Thai mobile number too. You can also open a free FCD account with them to keep your dollars, euros or pounds in and exchange for free whenever the rate is good.

They will also setup online banking for you for free.

Can take a few days sometimes to get everything ironed out but should be possible.

Just be polite and courteous with them.

I'm not aware of any rules or, possibly, any recent rule changes but a friend of mine, visiting Chiangmai with only the 30-day standard exemption and staying in a hotel here, opened his own account at SCB here less than a month ago.

In the past, I opened accounts at both SCB and Bangkok Bank here in Chiangmai with only a hotel address and carrying the same 30-day exemption "visa."

One week ago I walked into the Bank of Bangkok after reading requirements on their web site, took my passport some cash my Thai partner came with we sat down the lady checked my passport asked for my partners ID looked at it and smiled. I filled out a form paid 300 baht for the debit card the whole thing was over in 10 minutes walked out with debit card / bank book and away I went.

The Bank was great VERY helpfull and nothing was a problem........check out thier web site.

I would say just trial n error. Though it makes little sense (what does here) that different brands (sure they have the right, but you'll usually be told it's Gov policy, rather than the bank itself), branches, locations should have different 'rules', they clearly do. Over the years I've opened several accounts in Bangkok & CM, both with Non-B/work permit & on pre-purchased tourist visa; just remember that each individual/department/location of each Government office varies in what one can & cannot do. If the Gov is so inconsistent, no surprise private organizations are, too.

When I've opened them on T'visa, I have needed a letter (which I used to be able to get from immigration, but have in recent years only been able to get from UK consulate; others will tell you differently, that's just my own experience).

Unsure how long you've been here, but for your own sanity don't assume there is any consistency (nor rhyme or reason) from place to place; a few years here and you'll learn there is none!

In case you are new, TRY and get your head around this: whether to open a bank account, to register a car/bike, to get a licence, or anything else a foreigner wishes to call their own, on anything short of a Non-imm visa/w'permit you need to get a letter (proof of temporary residency - at least that's what they used to be called) from consulate/immigration. In order to get this letter, you need to 'prove' you live here (e.g. house contract, utility bills, etc). In order to get those qualifying 'proofs', you need to 'prove' you live here. So you 'prove' you live here to get a car [for example], you then need to use that 'proof' to get a letter (for say a licence) that 'proves' you live here!!! Confused? I am, and I've been here nearly 14 years! blink.png

And, in your case, you need to 'prove' you live here to get a bank account. If you later want another bank account (or anything else in your name), you likely have to get another letter 'proving' you live here, and will need to use your first account, at the consulate, to 'prove' you live here, in order to get a new letter that 'proves' you live here! Blimey, my head hurts.

There will always be some that have had different experiences here, but you would do well to not assume an easy route, just play the numbers game and learn for yourself.

Good luck

I just got my bank account opened at Bangkok bank on Tourist visa.

All they asked was a copy of my passport, my phone number. that's all

For the sake of this being a useful thread can you let us know the area you opened the account (i.e. lower Sukhumvit, MBK, Khao San, etc) so we can build up a picture. Not that this matters for me but for a large proportion it really does. Thanks.

Like one of the other posters I opened a savings account at the Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit Times Square with only a tourist visa (visa exempt). They required a copy of my passport ID page to be certified by the Australian Embassy - but its worthwhile trying without this as it cost me Bt 1500 plus a trip to the Embassy and waiting time there. They issued a Visa Card for ATM use - its not a credit card. I would recommend this bank as at least 2 of us were successful there and they are friendly and very cooperative.

Archived