Opening a bank account on a Tourist Visa

Bountyhuntr

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been able to open bank account at KTB bank in Bang Na area with ease - 30 day valid visa AND Passport. I am 70, just told them I needed for immigration ( I did need - finished the transfer ) to transfer funds from US to meet Thailand Retirement Visa requirements. They told me NO INTEREST on amount till " work permit" issued. What !!!WORK PERMIT!!!, I am clap2.gif RETIREDclap2.gif. 1000฿ and I paid card service charges in advance - MY idea.

Bangna Center ( I think ) about 2km BANGKOK side of the "NATION" is where bank located ( outbound side of street ), far end of building, 4th floor(?)

I have found that it depends ENTIRELY on the Customer Service Rep you deal with at a bank Two other banks ( small branches ) and NOT KTB said "wai.gif SORRY" wai.gif .

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll hit some of them up in the next day or two. I have 3 entries on my TR, my plan on staying is around 6-8 months, I came for 3-4 months last year too.

Make life a lot easier if I had a bank account, so thanks for all the replies, let you know what happens.

p.s when I said change of rules, yes, 1-2 years ago you could open one anywhere, but up until recently it's changed...

ON 07FEB14, went to Central Pattaya Mall, tried all the banks, THE ONLY BANK which would and did gave a savings account on a 30 day tourist visa with a passport as ID was K-Bank. Minimum amount of deposit 1000b and cost 500b which included a debit card and internet banking. All done in about a hour, including new debit card. My email was sent a new password the next day to log on to internet banking and was up and running immediately. Easy, well trained staff.

p.s. on 06feb14: K-bank, Sukumvit Road,(between south and central Pattaya roads) offered to do the same service but required a 5000b accident insurance policy to do the service(to prove I would stay in the country, lol)... PURE B.S. They in-turn lost my business.

No any kind of visa needed!

Have your passport with you and go to Kasikorn Bank, all it takes is about 30-40 mins for opening a savings account and setting up your VISA Debit card.

They may ask a thai address from you what can be address of your hotel they don't care, as long as you tell them e-mail as "method of contact" no paper mail will ever be sent.

They fill forms to set up your internet banking at the same time, you will get your user ID and password by e-mail.

I highly recommend Kasikorn Bank!

Many years ago I opened an account in SCB on a tourist visa I gave them the address where I was staying plus £10, 000 deposit however had it only been a couple of quid I do not think they would have entertained me it comes down to how much you are placing with the bank. On one occasion I tried to open an account for my British wife they refused as she was my dependant I then proceeded to withdraw 800,000 baht from my account when the manager asked me why I explained as they had turned my wife's application down this money was to open an account on her behalf with the bank across the road within five minutes there had been a change of mind and my wife had her own account the thought of losing money was to great !!!!!!

Reminiscent of the banker on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll hit some of them up in the next day or two. I have 3 entries on my TR, my plan on staying is around 6-8 months, I came for 3-4 months last year too.

Make life a lot easier if I had a bank account, so thanks for all the replies, let you know what happens.

p.s when I said change of rules, yes, 1-2 years ago you could open one anywhere, but up until recently it's changed...

They have been saying that for 10 years at least! Translation : we don't want to deal with this in case we make a mistake.

Honestly, you have seen that a major Thai bank , Bangkok Bank, specifically states on its website that they will open accounts for people on tourist visas (post #10).

Either you believe that this major bank does not know the correct law, and is posting illegal/wrong information on its website, or you believe the literally hundreds of reports on this site over the last 10 years that detail one branch of a bank declining to open an account without a work permit, while the next branch of the same bank down the street ( or the same branch of the same bank a week later!) open the account without a problem.

The difficulty is due to lack of training, consistent application of conditions throughout a business, and unwillingness to risk loss of face or making a mistake or dealing with a different language.

My advice, print the Bangkok bank page stating that you can get an account on a tourist visa, and the documents required (and if there's a Thai language version on the site, I haven't checked, print that too). Take these, and the necessary documents to one branch of Bangkok Bank after another, concentrating on tourist areas, showing them what their own website says, until you find a branch that will honour their own website!

Added on Edit: you could also try Kasikorn Bank 33 Sukhumvit Road branch, which is where I opened an account with an O visa 3 years ago, with no problem and no work permit. However a week after this someone posted on here that he tried the same branch and was told it was not possible to open an account without a work permit! Welcome to Thailand!

which branch? i tried several last year too, with a thai friend and condo contract and didn't work at that branch

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did open my account in Phuket 3 years ago, and I have been helping to open multiple accounts for my friends since then in Phuket and Samui. (none of them had any type of visas!)

I seriously doubt that one bank can have different rules among offices depending the location, otherwise there's one more reason for quick "vacation" here in South! clap2.gif

which branch? i tried several last year too, with a thai friend and condo contract and didn't work at that branch

I did open my account in Phuket 3 years ago, and I have been helping to open multiple accounts for my friends since then in Phuket and Samui. (none of them had any type of visas!)

I seriously doubt that one bank can have different rules among offices depending the location, otherwise there's one more reason for quick "vacation" here in South! clap2.gif

where and which bank in samui?

KRUNG Thai Bank will help you.

I opened an account myself while on holiday there last year.

I went to the branch on Sukhumvit Road near the end on Nana Soi 4.

same here opened two years ago at KrungThai soi 22 no problem just passport and proof of address 15 mins done

Larger Kasikorn office at North Chaweng (where one-way starts)

They have handled numerous issues extremely well for me, from returning credit card from broken ATM to international transactions etc..

Kasikorn office I use when Im in Phuket is one in Jungceylon shopping center at Patong Beach.

Seriously at these offices they don't ask about any visas while opening accounts, but I do recommend clean and semi-formal clothing when going to do more serious banking stuff. (it always helps)

Larger Kasikorn office at North Chaweng (where one-way starts)

They have handled numerous issues extremely well for me, from returning credit card from broken ATM to international transactions etc..

Kasikorn office I use when Im in Phuket is one in Jungceylon shopping center at Patong Beach.

Seriously at these offices they don't ask about any visas while opening accounts, but I do recommend clean and semi-formal clothing when going to do more serious banking stuff. (it always helps)

yeah been knocked back a couple of times in lamai so will definitely be giving it a go. Cheers for the info mate

Maybe I am missing something on this topic but why does one need a bank

account in Thailand on a 30 day visa?!

If funds are required by wire one can wire the money to the bank and pick the

money up in person with no account. Go to Kasikorn web page and there is all

the info.

Just stopped at Kasikorn Bank the other day on Sukhumvit and their requirement

was a passport, one year rental contract, and your visa.

For someone who keeps coming to this country 1-2 times every year for holidays, having a bank account here is very convenient and secure thing to have.

Why not to have it when it's easy and quick to setup, least here in South it seems. wink.png

Better exchange rates for bank transfers than with cash, no need to carry cash, no need to trust hotels safety boxes (if theres one), no need to use expensive withdraws using your credit card from home bank, very easy to add credit to your thai sim card... list of reasons keeps going.

It's all about choice, how someone wants to do things. I keep helping all my friends a bank account and permanent thai phone number, making their yearly vacations here bit more convenient.

For someone who keeps coming to this country 1-2 times every year for holidays, having a bank account here is very convenient and secure thing to have.

Why not to have it when it's easy and quick to setup, least here in South it seems. wink.png

Better exchange rates for bank transfers than with cash, no need to carry cash, no need to trust hotels safety boxes (if theres one), no need to use expensive withdraws using your credit card from home bank, very easy to add credit to your thai sim card... list of reasons keeps going.

It's all about choice, how someone wants to do things. I keep helping all my friends a bank account and permanent thai phone number, making their yearly vacations here bit more convenient.

agreed 100%

I read posts about it being possible at certain branches, after all its up to that specific branch and the manager im guessing, chang mai I've read seems to be fine to obtain one from. seems hard in bkk

Ubon Ratchathani, Det Udom. Be polite, dress nicely, good luck.

As one poster said earlier, it may just be who is on duty at the time. I opened an account at Kasikorn On Nut Bangkok in late December 13 and the girl did ask for a work permit. I did not have one and she still opened it. She did take a copy of the ID of the Thai I was with and this may have sealed it, but I still think it is not mandatory.

I think your best bet is a Bangkok bank in the lower Suk area where they are used to foreigners.

Hi, I can tell you from personal experience that i just opened a savings account with attached debit card at Krungthai Bank , 2 days ago. i have a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa. Walked in and greeted with open arms, friendly service and no questions or hesitation.

I know you said Bangkok only, but .... I came to Thailand in December, 2012 on an 'on arrival' 30-day tourist visa, and was able to open an account at a KBank branch in Hua Hin, with only my passport and driver's licence. However, prior to KBank, I asked at 5 other banks and was told that I could not.

Best advice, visit different brances of different banks in BKK, until you are successful.

I got an account with kasikorn next to phra khanong bts by showing passport and 1year condo rental agreement, however my thai gf had to come for translation as there English is on a par with my Thai. I have a couple of friends that have an account at kasikorn soi 4. Where they said there are some good English speakers in there

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. I have, in the past, heard that the banks in the Khao San area seem to be a little less formal. I haven't heard this said in the past 2 years but it does stand to reason that if any banks are then it would be the ones that would benefit the most from it.

Not true at all. Bangkok Bank give detailed instructions on how you can open a bank account as a foreigner without a work permit, and you can consult their website to find out.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Extract below.

"In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Ah yes, I remember taking this to different Bangkok Banks and getting turned away. One even wanted me to marry before they would open an account for me! I finally got one to open with an ID confirmation letter from Embassy (about 2-3000 bt) at The Mall, Bang Khapi (although even this branch later refused me a fixed account until they realised I was already their customer). During months of futile attempts trying to open an account at all the banks I could then make the next step to deposit the money required for a Non Imm O visa (they need to think aboput making that a bit easier...), although I was told by the police (no stone left unturned) that Bkk Bk at Chaeng Watanna Immigration may be more accustomed to dealing with accounts for foreigners.

If your a Tourist why do you want an account, do you open one in every country you visit. Or are you not a Genuine Tourist.coffee1.gif

Mine was to deposit the 400k required to change my Tourist visa to Non Imm O, not as easy as it sounds!

A regular visitor might also find it more convenient for local payments or avoiding the exorbitant charges for using foreign banking cards.

Archived