Opening a bank account on a Tourist Visa

Bountyhuntr

A lot of people saying as long as you keep above 2K then the account will stay active so you can use it on your next trip

Have people experienced different 'minimum' amounts? For those with accounts for longer do they deduct the annual fee from your account, erm, annually?

Has anyone had experience of getting a new ATM card when the old one expires. i.e. some are just for 2 or 3 years and then bank would traditionally send you a replacement, has anyone done that anywhere across Thailand? I wouldn't assume it would be a problem, I guess in branch collection but be nice to be there when it expires to avoid potential issues when you turn up 6 months later and try to get that replacement

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people saying as long as you keep above 2K then the account will stay active so you can use it on your next trip

Have people experienced different 'minimum' amounts? For those with accounts for longer do they deduct the annual fee from your account, erm, annually?

Has anyone had experience of getting a new ATM card when the old one expires. i.e. some are just for 2 or 3 years and then bank would traditionally send you a replacement, has anyone done that anywhere across Thailand? I wouldn't assume it would be a problem, I guess in branch collection but be nice to be there when it expires to avoid potential issues when you turn up 6 months later and try to get that replacement

Just pay the fee. B500 last time I did it.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

If your a Tourist why do you want an account, do you open one in every country you visit. Or are you not a Genuine Tourist.coffee1.gif

What are you, the tourist bank account police? Hardly a helpful response.

Plenty of reasons why genuine tourists might want or even need a bank account.

I spent a decade working in neighbouring Myanmar while more or less based in Thailand for my frequent breaks/shopping trips etc.

Having a bank account (which I opened on a visa exempt entry as a genuine tourist) was very helpful for paying rent, doing shopping etc.

To the OP - Kasikorn near Suk Soi 6, took a friend along who already had an account there.

• 1 month later...

Apparently new govt rules recently introduced require 12 month visa, letter from immigration, 5000 baht deposit and possibly work permit.

Was told the above word for word by several different banks, including K Bank in Pattaya and Jomtien last week.

Finally, in Koh Chang, yesterday I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account on a 30 day visa exempt with just showing passport and using hotel address and hotel phone number. 500 baht deposit and 300 baht visa debit card fee.

Done and dusted in 30 minutes. Just have to get internet banking sorted tomorrow.

As mentioned earlier, if the account has less than 2000baht and isn't used for 12 months it will be deemed a dormant account ant attract a 50baht fee per month until it reaches zero and then will be automatically closed. Easy enough to prevent with internet banking access.

It pays to shop around but seems the end is nigh for easy Thai bank account openings.

Apparently new govt rules recently introduced require 12 month visa, letter from immigration, 5000 baht deposit and possibly work permit.

Was told the above word for word by several different banks, including K Bank in Pattaya and Jomtien last week.

Finally, in Koh Chang, yesterday I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account on a 30 day visa exempt with just showing passport and using hotel address and hotel phone number. 500 baht deposit and 300 baht visa debit card fee.

Done and dusted in 30 minutes. Just have to get internet banking sorted tomorrow.

As mentioned earlier, if the account has less than 2000baht and isn't used for 12 months it will be deemed a dormant account ant attract a 50baht fee per month until it reaches zero and then will be automatically closed. Easy enough to prevent with internet banking access.

It pays to shop around but seems the end is nigh for easy Thai bank account openings.

The "new rules" explanation is an excuse that is regularly given, and there are posts describing bank employees telling people that "new rules came in last year" for at least the last seven years to my knowledge, and probably longer than that. You can search in the archives for posts on this.

It must have struck you as a bit odd that you were told about these specific "new rules", and then were able to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank while fulfilling none of these criteria...

That's because they are made up: Bangkok Bank's own website tells you you are eligible for an account if you only have a tourist visa!

Actually the stories people are told when being refused a bank account often derive from branch specific decisions by the manager, or unwillingness to deal with foreigners, and have nothing at all to do with Thai banking regulations.

Yes aware of the stories. That's why I kept trying.

Found it strange though that each bank (different banks & branches) all produced the very same form that needed to be submitted with photo attached and duly signed by an immigration office.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently on a tourist visa. I tried Kasikorn in Sukhumvit soi 11 and Exchange Tower (junction of Asoke and Ratchadaphisek Roads) yesterday (28 March 2014). No luck. Was told you need a work permit.

Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit 11 will accept a tourist visa, passport and international driving licence showing your home address, but you will need to pay an apparently one-time one-year health insurance of around 1,300THB to enable iBanking. That particular officer was pleasant, sweet, but others at that same branch didn't seem to know the procedure. Personally, I don't see the relationship between the two - banking and insurance - does anyone? Or just another instance of fabled Thai "logic"?

• 3 weeks later...

reading the reports on KRUNG bank,,my question is, is this bank well know ie many branches, ? and can you use the card to withdraw monies from other banks or atms,it aint no good having the money in the bank if one cannot access it from another area of thailand ? i was thinking of opening an account. depositing some money.and hopefully be here full time retired by the end of the year so i would have the 3 months savings (some say 2 ) in the bank, i was thinking of locating to the chon buri area, coming over on the 28 April for 1 month to check it out. i have a thai speaking friend, and might try the Bank of Thailand first as they seem big, but what is this shit about 1300 baht insurance ?? for i, banking that's £24, does KRUNG ask for this ,??

I'm currently on a tourist visa. I tried Kasikorn in Sukhumvit soi 11 and Exchange Tower (junction of Asoke and Ratchadaphisek Roads) yesterday (28 March 2014). No luck. Was told you need a work permit.

Bangkok Bank in Sukhumvit 11 will accept a tourist visa, passport and international driving licence showing your home address, but you will need to pay an apparently one-time one-year health insurance of around 1,300THB to enable iBanking. That particular officer was pleasant, sweet, but others at that same branch didn't seem to know the procedure. Personally, I don't see the relationship between the two - banking and insurance - does anyone? Or just another instance of fabled Thai "logic"?

No relationship between them but the insurance - or rather, the commission he earns on it - is paying for the officer to use her discretion to give you an account that you might not otherwise not qualify for.

Weird you got refused at Kasikorn at Exchange Tower. I got an account with internet banking there late last year with my lease agreement and passport.

• 3 weeks later...

A current update:

I went to Esplanade Ratchada today.

First try at Bangkok Bank. They said, if you do not have any recommendation letter from your embassy you can still open a bank account on a tourist visa and without work permit.

But you have to go to the head office. Fair enough.

Then I went to Kasikorn and 30 minutes later I had my account and debit card.

They asked for work permit first and then if I am married to a Thai citizen.

My wife is Thai (but I went alone). So I don't know if that made them give me an account.

update on my first post: i opened a Bangkok bank due to the ease and will bring benefits over withdrawing and getting smacked with fees.

downside, if you have under 2000 in the bank, they will charge you 50 baht per month. I guess that's why they are farang friendly. also as i didn't have letter from embassy and only my room contract, i was unable to have online banking.

does anybody know if it costs to receive letter from embassy?

p. s i tried banks wearing shirt and trousers and had no luck

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi, I can tell you from personal experience that i just opened a savings account with attached debit card at Krungthai Bank , 2 days ago. i have a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa. Walked in and greeted with open arms, friendly service and no questions or hesitation.

There doesn't exist any 12 month multiple entry tourist visa. So what visa do you have?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a nightmare with this myself at the moment. I am currently resident in Malaysia and will be permanently in Thailand from about November( I have full custody of my kids ,Thai nationals). I need to come in on a 90 day and then extend for a year , I need to show 400k in a Thai Bank for the previous 2 months before I apply for extension. My problem is for the letter from the Embassy,i require to open the account prior to getting the yearly visa, I have to show proof of where i live in Thailand , which I don't have and do not see how i can have until I get my name on the Blue book which I cannot do until I have a F@cking Visa

The problem seems to be that the rules are not fixed, the Bangkok Bank website makes it seem like a formality , but it just depends who you talk to on the day

Advice would be much appreciated

All I would say is if you go into the bank wear smart clothes, maybe carry a file like you're an important guy on business :D

It it does depend on the individual, which it seems to, then dressing a bit nicer and appearing like a professional person has got to be better than strolling in in cargo shorts and sandal?

Worth a shot

It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. I have, in the past, heard that the banks in the Khao San area seem to be a little less formal. I haven't heard this said in the past 2 years but it does stand to reason that if any banks are then it would be the ones that would benefit the most from it.

Not true at all. Bangkok Bank give detailed instructions on how you can open a bank account as a foreigner without a work permit, and you can consult their website to find out.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Extract below.

"In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document for example, your drivers license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Still no mention of this being possible on a tourist visa. I have opened 2 bank a/c on Non Immi B with no work permit. Not a problem. Tourist visa? Not so easy.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

WRONG.

All depends on the person serving or branch manager.. Just keep trying til you find one.

Even simple things like adding accounts that I can transfer to on cyber banking I am told I can not do but with a little explaination and opening the screens on their computer terminal and you get a win somewhere...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update.

Was driving around Chiang Mai for 2 days, visited about 15 kasikorn branches - got refused in every one. In more touristic places they refuse you before you pick up queue ticket. In less touristic places they pretty polite but still refuse after studying their internal documents. Everything all the same - work permit or non-immigrant visa etc.

Bangkok Bank - first branch agreed to open account, they started to fill up my papers, entering info into computer, explained i cannot have internet banking on tourist visa. Took about 20 minutes and before paying money, she went to talk to boss and after came back - "sorry we cannot open account for you"!!?

Krung Thai - opened account in first branch i visited. Internet banking included. 400 debit card + 1000 on balance.

I opened a Kasikorn Bank account in Pattaya in 2010 and I tried to open a new Kasikorn Bank or Bangkok Bank account in Bangkok when I arrived in May this year. I have a single entry Non O visa, but both banks in several different branches refused without a work permit or long term residence letter, I have neither, so I'm sticking with my Kasikorn account, the problem with my Kasikorn account is that it charges me 15 baht every time I make a withdrawal, hence the need for an account based in Bangkok. Kasikorn refused to transfer my existing account from based in Pattaya to Bangkok, the branches I tried where in rama 9.

• 4 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Latest update.

Was driving around Chiang Mai for 2 days, visited about 15 kasikorn branches - got refused in every one. In more touristic places they refuse you before you pick up queue ticket. In less touristic places they pretty polite but still refuse after studying their internal documents. Everything all the same - work permit or non-immigrant visa etc.

Bangkok Bank - first branch agreed to open account, they started to fill up my papers, entering info into computer, explained i cannot have internet banking on tourist visa. Took about 20 minutes and before paying money, she went to talk to boss and after came back - "sorry we cannot open account for you"!!?

Krung Thai - opened account in first branch i visited. Internet banking included. 400 debit card + 1000 on balance.

Which branch of Krung Thai bank? and when did you do this please? I am planning on taking my dad there soon to open his.

Thanks

it is done for a reason, you were lucky, it is to stop money laundering,so that is why you have to have a permanent address in Thailand, so imagine you were a drug dealer in uk for example, open an internet account in thailand and send all your ill gotten gains via the internet banking system.

i opened a savings account no probs on a tourist visa with bangkok bank last month,, but no way would they let me have internet banking without having a permanent address in Thailand, soon to be put right next month, hooray !!

Bangkok bank you're guaranteed to be able to open an account on a Tourist Visa, even you can get internet banking at times.

The first Bangkok branch you went to did it for you?

Bangkok Bank have information on their website for foreigners, so they make it clear you can have an account on a Tourist Visa. If you go to any branch and they say no, just show them their own rules :)

i even know a "bar lady" who's daughter works for Bangkok Bank, her daughter said no chance, i said "see me this afternoon," and sure enough, i put £1000 in and had a bank book and an ATM card, some of them realy haven't got a clue.

I went to a couple of branches of Bangkok Bank at Central rama9 and Fortune mall, I had a Non O visa, both refused to give me an account, unless I had a work permit or a long term rental agreement, I had neither!

Although I have got a Kasikorn Bank account which I opened in 2010 on a tourist visa in Pattaya, but I spend the majority of my time in Bangkok, hence needing an account opened in Bangkok. Kasikorn charge me 15 baht for every withdrawal outside of Chonburi.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i even know a "bar lady" who's daughter works for Bangkok Bank, her daughter said no chance, i said "see me this afternoon," and sure enough, i put £1000 in and had a bank book and an ATM card, some of them realy haven't got a clue.

Yeah it seems some branches don't know the rules, but if you quote their policy you can open one anywhere. I never had a problem.

I went to a couple of branches of Bangkok Bank at Central rama9 and Fortune mall, I had a Non O visa, both refused to give me an account, unless I had a work permit or a long term rental agreement, I had neither!

Although I have got a Kasikorn Bank account which I opened in 2010 on a tourist visa in Pattaya, but I spend the majority of my time in Bangkok, hence needing an account opened in Bangkok. Kasikorn charge me 15 baht for every withdrawal outside of Chonburi.

That is crazy...When was this? Anybody could open a bank several years ago afaik, but they then changed the rules. Bangkok Bank I think is the easiest to open an account.

Yeah it seems some branches don't know the rules, but if you quote their policy you can open one anywhere. I never had a problem.

That is crazy...When was this? Anybody could open a bank several years ago afaik, but they then changed the rules. Bangkok Bank I think is the easiest to open an account.

May 12th this year.

Archived