Opening a bank account on a Tourist Visa

Bountyhuntr

My latest experience:

Last week I went with a friend (non immigrant O from the USA) to MBK. As I wrote in a previous post in this thread I got an account easily at Kasikorn Bank upstairs two years ago. Now they flatly refused to open an account for him without a work permit. Even I couldnt open a second account (on non immigrant O retirement). Bangkok Bank and KTB were willing to open an account with a 'Bai Lap Lhong' from the embassy. The malaysian bank next door had no problem but they had no branch in lopburi where he will reside later. So he wanted to transfer 800,000 baht for a retirement visa but could'nt open an account. Typical Thai logic. He went to the embassy and got the required document.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

UPDATE: I have been to three branches of Kasikorn Bank in Pattaya and although they would open an account on a Tourist Visa, they wanted a minimum deposit of 10,000 baht and insisted on a 2,500 Life insurance policy to "guarantee" the 12 month visa. It was also 800 baht for an ATM card (Bangkok Bank is only 500 baht).

On being told the same thing on my 3rd branch, it was obvious that this wasn't just a one-off in terms of a member of staff trying to get commission, so I questioned them on what the purpose of the Life insurance was bearing in mind that a) I was single B) I had no dependents c) I had (I told them) already got insurance so this was simply duplicating what I already (purportedly) have and d) most importantly, as Kasikorn were not a beneficiary, it was nothing short of a falsehood to claim that it guaranteed anything in terms of the account.

However, even after I managed to get hold of an English speaking member of staff, they could not explain what the real purpose of the insurance was for, and I can only assume that K-bank are intending to squeeze tourists for the privilege of opening an account here. They simply stated that no insurance: no account, so I walked out.

Incidentally, if you have a 1 year visa, they don't insist on it. Logically, if you are resident rather than just a tourist, it is more important to have, so that makes even less sense.

They say that the policy changed earlier this year, which might explain why older posts state that it is easy to get a K-bank account. Clearly, it is possible now, but you need to pay through the nose.

• 3 months later...

It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. I have, in the past, heard that the banks in the Khao San area seem to be a little less formal. I haven't heard this said in the past 2 years but it does stand to reason that if any banks are then it would be the ones that would benefit the most from it.

Not true at all. Bangkok Bank give detailed instructions on how you can open a bank account as a foreigner without a work permit, and you can consult their website to find out.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Extract below.

"In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Yes, their website may say one thing but I'm being told something completely different. Despite showing them a print-out of their website which outlines the requirements, they claim it's out of date and that I need a work permit and (bafflingly) a letter from my embassy confirming the validity of my passport. This was the branch on Sukhumvit rd near soi8.

The branch in the Exchange Tower at Rachiprasidek Rd and Sukhumvit told me that I needed to go to bigger branch since they don't open foreign currency accounts there. That was one of the branches listed on their website that did open foreign currency accounts.

The correspondence between their website and reality is incredibly inaccurate. Lovely customer service.

It certainly is true that you should not be able to get a bank account here on a tourist visa. I have, in the past, heard that the banks in the Khao San area seem to be a little less formal. I haven't heard this said in the past 2 years but it does stand to reason that if any banks are then it would be the ones that would benefit the most from it.

Not true at all. Bangkok Bank give detailed instructions on how you can open a bank account as a foreigner without a work permit, and you can consult their website to find out.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Extract below.

"In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country."

Yes, their website may say one thing but I'm being told something completely different. Despite showing them a print-out of their website which outlines the requirements, they claim it's out of date and that I need a work permit and (bafflingly) a letter from my embassy confirming the validity of my passport. This was the branch on Sukhumvit rd near soi8.

The branch in the Exchange Tower at Rachiprasidek Rd and Sukhumvit told me that I needed to go to bigger branch since they don't open foreign currency accounts there. That was one of the branches listed on their website that did open foreign currency accounts.

The correspondence between their website and reality is incredibly inaccurate. Lovely customer service.

Unfortunately this is Thailand, and bank employees will not hesitate to make things up if they are unwilling to carry out a particular service. The stories of people finding it impossible, then suddenly possible, to open a bank account on a short term visa just through visiting different branches or the same branch on different days derives from this. Very commonly Thai bank employees will avoid the transaction if they are not sure how to do it, do not trust their own English skills or genuinely don't know the rules through inadequate training.

Saying "there are new rules, just came in last year" as a reason/excuse for not opening an account has to my specific knowledge been going on for at least seven years. Saying a web site is out of date is even easier.

The best way to find out whether the website of Bangkok Bank is truly "out of date" as regards criteria for foreigners to open a bank account on a short term visa would be to call customer service on 1333 and ask them. I am sure you will be told these are current criteria and are not out of date. (The requirement you mention for a letter from your embassy is actually mentioned as one of the criteria on the website, but a work permit is not).

Once you have been told the truth about what's necessary you can try again at another branch. This might be successful anyway just through chance, or you might be able to phone customer service in front of them and get them to confirm that a work permit isn't required. Or it might just be easier to go to the head office ( I think it's in Silom) and try there.

(The requirement you mention for a letter from your embassy is actually mentioned as one of the criteria on the website).

Well, not exactly. The letter was mentioned as an example of an acceptable second form of i.d., not a criteria. I have several other alternate forms of i.d that I brought with me so that I could avoid the letter acquisition process.

Thanks for the other tips though.

Update:

Reading this thread, it seemed that Krung Thai might be the easiest option so I went there first today.

Success - although not completely.

I had been hoping to open a USD account but was only able to open a baht account.

Anyway, it was incredibly simple: passport and details of my hotel address were all that were asked for.

I was able to get a Visa debit card and internet banking access (although I can't use the internet for intl. transfers).

This was the branch on the south side of Sukhumvit Rd right where Sukhumvit begins next to the railroad tracks.

I was able to open a "savings" account, but not a "current" or foreign currency account. To be honest, I don't fully understand what the difference between a "savings" and "current" account are exactly other than the savings has 0% interest. She wasn't able to explain any other differences clearly. It makes sense to me though that people who are on tourist visas and therefore not entitled to earn income in Thailand would be restricted to 0% accounts.

• 2 months later...

I opened up an account when I was a tourist many years ago with "KrungThai Bank" I have heard that the new Government has stopped tourists from opening Bank accounts. How true this Is I do not know. Maybe a phone call to the Krung Thai Bank will clear this up. I suggest Pattaya office or Bangkok as the staff there talk good English. Unlike the staff where I now live in Rayong..

Good luck or Chok Dee

Ken.

Update:

Reading this thread, it seemed that Krung Thai might be the easiest option so I went there first today.

Success - although not completely.

I had been hoping to open a USD account but was only able to open a baht account.

Anyway, it was incredibly simple: passport and details of my hotel address were all that were asked for.

I was able to get a Visa debit card and internet banking access (although I can't use the internet for intl. transfers).

This was the branch on the south side of Sukhumvit Rd right where Sukhumvit begins next to the railroad tracks.

I was able to open a "savings" account, but not a "current" or foreign currency account. To be honest, I don't fully understand what the difference between a "savings" and "current" account are exactly other than the savings has 0% interest. She wasn't able to explain any other differences clearly. It makes sense to me though that people who are on tourist visas and therefore not entitled to earn income in Thailand would be restricted to 0% accounts.

Hi, ignore my previous post (Seems I am Criminally Stupid. I have just noticed you had success at the Krunk Thai Bank..

• 2 months later...

I would be needing a thai bank whilst am there on a 3 entry TR visa. I am curious what people would suggest is the cheapest way to send myself (transfer) money to myself from my UK bank.. It should be £9.50 from Halifax & I have looked at bangkok bank in London but they charge £20. for changing sterling to pound's & am still unsure if I would get an ATM card. Basically I need to transfer myself money using online banking & as am budgeting £500 a month (obviously more for emergency's) what people would expect as a total charge & how do I avoid the 180 baht ATM fee.

I am staying with a friend in johntiem who's been there year's with a wife & different visa BUT I wouldn't want to be more than hassle or use him as my ATM as he's been an awesome friend so any sensible suggestion's/idea's greatly appericated. Am British & under 50yr no thai wife so 3 entry tourist visa is my only option...

Thank's for your time/help.

I would be needing a thai bank whilst am there on a 3 entry TR visa. I am curious what people would suggest is the cheapest way to send myself (transfer) money to myself from my UK bank.. It should be £9.50 from Halifax & I have looked at bangkok bank in London but they charge £20. for changing sterling to pound's & am still unsure if I would get an ATM card. Basically I need to transfer myself money using online banking & as am budgeting £500 a month (obviously more for emergency's) what people would expect as a total charge & how do I avoid the 180 baht ATM fee.

I am staying with a friend in johntiem who's been there year's with a wife & different visa BUT I wouldn't want to be more than hassle or use him as my ATM as he's been an awesome friend so any sensible suggestion's/idea's greatly appericated. Am British & under 50yr no thai wife so 3 entry tourist visa is my only option...

Thank's for your time/help.

This particular section is for Bangkok, are you going to be staying here or Pattaya?

Anyway, there is a Pinned Topic in the Jobs, Economy, etc section http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/13-jobs-economy-banking-business-investments/.

Perhaps have a look there, and in the Pattaya Section. The general advice is to just try a branch, and if declined, move on to another branch. When you open an account here, you will get a ATM card for that bank, and not have the 180 Baht charge, your only fees would be the SWIFT transfer fees to move your money here. It doesn't take much money to keep an account open for future visits.

• 2 weeks later...

Am just curious... is it possible to lock in the to transfer rate by sending pounds sterling to be taken out in future. ??? Am still in the UK & thinking of options. Bangkok bank looks best & yes the rate may still go up but if anyone has any experience please share as I'll be visiting on a tourist visa. I could send to my mates account but would rather stand on my own feet as he's a diamond ♦ guy & already helps me enough with his advice etc etc Planning coming in October/November thanks

• 7 months later...

FWIW, here's the official list of requirements from Krungthai bank:

Required Documents for opening account for foreigner allowed to temporarily live in Thailand

Valid passport with the stamp of Immigration Bureau specifying the granted period of stay; or identification document issued by the government agency or state of the country of origin and additional documents required as the case may be as follows:

1 General foreigner

- Work permit issued by Thai government agency, or

- House registration certificate for Foreigner (Yellow Book TorRor 13) with 13 digit i.d. number

- Evidence of income's source, for instance, salary certificate and retirement pension certificate certified by the source of income

- A letter of recommendation from the applicant's bank aboard (sic) submitted via SWIFT network

- Criminal record from the country of origin or residence country (issued within 3 months)

2 Operating a business in Thailand

- 6 month backward statement of an account with another bank in Thailand

- Documents related to business operation, for instance, purchase order and receipt, certified by Thai staff from the business alliance (id card of the surety is required)

3 Thai spouse and requesting to open a joint "AND" account

- Marriage certificate and id card of Thai spouse

4 Foreign student

- A reference letter issued by school or educational institution

5 Receiving medical treatment in Thailand

- Not less than 3 month resident permit issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and medical certificate from the medical institution

6 Investing in securities trading

- reference letter from the securities company stating the objective of opening the account

7 Buying real estate property

- Evidence of purchase or purchase and sale agreement

- Certificate from the bank aboard (sic) of the real estate buyer submitted via SWIFT network

8 Officer of foreign government or international organization

- Diplomatic visa, certificate of embassy staff, foreign government officer, UN staff, issued by the affiliation or well-known international organisation, for instance World bank International Fund (IMF)

9 Retirement

- Non-immigrant Visa O-A Long Term Stay (Retirement visa)

I spent a day last week doing the rounds of the banks in silom/sukumwit (including most of those mentioned above as being helpful/easy) and they all want work permits (seasoned for 2 years). Bangkok bank was the only exception, who will take a letter from the Embassy. (in the case of the UK embassy, the letter is called an "Affirmation of residency" -you need an appointment in advance and it costs 3500B. I don't meet their requirements for proof of address, so will have to can-it, I think.

The most important thing is to make it a win - win situation, if you start by enquirying about the insurance attached to a debit card, and angling to the most expensive one, you will find staff become very accommodating in what type of documents they accept (commissions or quotas, unsure, but there definitely is an incentive to sell the insurance debit cards in nearly all thai banks). True you end up paying a yearly fee of like $30-$50 (for essentially nowt, especially if you already have accident insurance) but in the grand scheme of things I find it a reasonable price. Be the dumb falang, get the atm card smile.png

If you walk in and demand the 200baht debit card you'll find the requirement list just got a little stricter..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

feb 2016 opened bank account with passport, tourist visa waiver.

turned down by several banks, work permit required.

finally allowed to open at krungsri bangkapi.

work permit at first required, but explained to manager

that thai embassy official directed me to open account to

transfer many money in order to apply for long-term visa.

opened a second bank account today at bangkok bank,

wanting to use their new york branch for transfers.

sukhumvit branch requires a work permit or

certificate of residence from your embassy. fail.

silom branch will open account for those on tourist

visas, but requires a form from your embassy

(certified letter) confirming that your passport is

indeed a valid passport.

fortunately had carried briefcase full of various

papers...........they did accept a notarized letter

(unrelated purpose) from the embassy with

passport number included.

opened savings account with atm/visa debit card

but no internet banking.

combine that with krungsri savings WITH internet

banking, but no atm card and i've got full service

banking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today I went to 6 different banks, including ALL the banks in the Exchange Tower, Bangkok, and none of them would let me open an account. I had my passport, driving licence, 6 month multiple entry visa, 6 month rental agreement, and 2 bank letters confirming that I have the correct funds available in each account. 

With the exception of Bangkok bank, they all said that without a work permit it is impossible under new laws. I simply don’t understand how some people have had success opening an account while so many have not. 

Bangkok Bank said that they would only allow me to open an account with the letter from the British Embassy. They gave me a copy to take with me. I will try to make an appointment there tomorrow, but I’ve no idea if this is a straightforward process, or the cost of processing the letter, because it does not seem to be included in the list of fees on their website. Can anyone advise on this please? Thank you.

Yours, frustrated.

On 22 March 2016 at 11:08 AM, BringMeSunshine said:

FWIW, here's the official list of requirements from Krungthai bank:

Required Documents for opening account for foreigner allowed to temporarily live in Thailand

Valid passport with the stamp of Immigration Bureau specifying the granted period of stay; or identification document issued by the government agency or state of the country of origin and additional documents required as the case may be as follows:

1 General foreigner

- Work permit issued by Thai government agency, or

- House registration certificate for Foreigner (Yellow Book TorRor 13) with 13 digit i.d. number

- Evidence of income's source, for instance, salary certificate and retirement pension certificate certified by the source of income

- A letter of recommendation from the applicant's bank aboard (sic) submitted via SWIFT network

- Criminal record from the country of origin or residence country (issued within 3 months)

2 Operating a business in Thailand

- 6 month backward statement of an account with another bank in Thailand

- Documents related to business operation, for instance, purchase order and receipt, certified by Thai staff from the business alliance (id card of the surety is required)

3 Thai spouse and requesting to open a joint "AND" account

- Marriage certificate and id card of Thai spouse

4 Foreign student

- A reference letter issued by school or educational institution

5 Receiving medical treatment in Thailand

- Not less than 3 month resident permit issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and medical certificate from the medical institution

6 Investing in securities trading

- reference letter from the securities company stating the objective of opening the account

7 Buying real estate property

- Evidence of purchase or purchase and sale agreement

- Certificate from the bank aboard (sic) of the real estate buyer submitted via SWIFT network

8 Officer of foreign government or international organization

- Diplomatic visa, certificate of embassy staff, foreign government officer, UN staff, issued by the affiliation or well-known international organisation, for instance World bank International Fund (IMF)

9 Retirement

- Non-immigrant Visa O-A Long Term Stay (Retirement visa)

I spent a day last week doing the rounds of the banks in silom/sukumwit (including most of those mentioned above as being helpful/easy) and they all want work permits (seasoned for 2 years). Bangkok bank was the only exception, who will take a letter from the Embassy. (in the case of the UK embassy, the letter is called an "Affirmation of residency" -you need an appointment in advance and it costs 3500B. I don't meet their requirements for proof of address, so will have to can-it, I think.

Hi,

I was planning on going to the British Embassy tomorrow to see if I can get the letter you mentioned above. You mentioned above that you don't meet their requirements for proof of address, can you please advise what these requirements are? It might save me a wasted journey. 

Thank you

48 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

Hi,

I was planning on going to the British Embassy tomorrow to see if I can get the letter you mentioned above. You mentioned above that you don't meet their requirements for proof of address, can you please advise what these requirements are? It might save me a wasted journey. 

Thank you

I discovered the information to the above question myself. Posting here for anyone else interested. 

The British Embassy will only accept as proof of residency, "driver’s licence, utility bills, postal mail showing your name and local address or house registration", none of which I have. Like many people here I just have a rental agreement/contract with the owner of my bungalow. So it appears a bank account is an impossibility after all. Gotta love Thailand.

5 hours ago, monkeymind said:

The thing is I live in Koh Phangan and the British embassy is in Bangkok, so it's too late to attempt that. Im leaving BKK on Friday to return there.

I opened mine with Bangkok Bank last year using a notarised copy of my passport only.

The other info is simply wrong.

For this you need no proof of residence although I did give my condo address to the bank of course.

If you were using a hotel etc it might not be so easy.

A couple of years ago I opened an account at Kasikorn in Pattaya using only passport and hotel address. Last year I opened another Kasikorn account in Bangkok also using passport and local hotel address with no problems. I live in the north west of the country and it was easier to have local accounts for some transactions. My accounts are all online and it's easy to move cash between my accounts instantly.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived