Drugs, phones airdropped by 'drone' into Thai prison

webfact

Drugs, phones airdropped by 'drone' into prison
By Coconuts Bangkok

drone_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's drug smugglers, the same inventive people behind amphetamine-filled catfood, meatballs, shoes and tampons have seized on the latest fad for innovation.

A remote-operated drone with a mounted camera dropped yaba and some mobile phones into a prison in Khon Kaen province yesterday.

The helicopter soared over the prison walls and dropped its illicit cargo near a bathroom area, according to provincial governor Somsak Suwannajarit.

Inside the box were the four kilograms of speed, three mobile phones, some SIM cards, battery chargers and shanks. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/10/drugs-phones-airdropped-drone-prison

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-10

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The helicopter was thought to cost 1 million baht?? Where do they get these numbers from!

Looks like a 700 size helicopter, with a Naza flight controller for autonomous flight and an FPV setup to see where it is going. Shouldn't cost even a tenth of the "experts" estimate.

• Like 2

Hmm, some people shouldn't post if they don't know what they are talking about. Some of the industrial RC helicopters go up to USD 50,000 (THB 1.5 million) and they can certainly lift that sort of stuff.

That is not an "industrial" helicopter, it's a hobby helicopter, a T-Rex or a clone of it.

• Like 1

Hmm, some people shouldn't post if they don't know what they are talking about. Some of the industrial RC helicopters go up to USD 50,000 (THB 1.5 million) and they can certainly lift that sort of stuff.

That is not an "industrial" helicopter, it's a hobby helicopter, a T-Rex or a clone of it.

I do not think a T-Rex can carry that sort of weight, more like a Bergen Industrial Turbine helicopter.

I do not think a T-Rex can carry that sort of weight, more like a Bergen Industrial Turbine helicopter.

Go to the Bangkok Post website and look at the picture of the helicopter, then you can stop with the speculation.

• Like 1

The helicopter was thought to cost 1 million baht?? Where do they get these numbers from!

I once read what the German and Austrian police paid for drones......roughly 5-20 times (depending on the details) of the market price........(they were in the 2 Millon Baht range each)

Even with some service contracts there is space enough for some nice "commission" to the decision maker.....

I guess there they got the numbers....

4kg speed?

Was it a Chinook?

and not mention the phones, charges and shanks. this would be big weight for little

machine.

Are you just making an observation about it's payload or are you saying that it didn't happen?

Radio Controlled Helicopter Used To Drop Phones Over Prison Wall

he2.jpg

A radio controlled helicopter worth 150,000 THB was used to fly in 6 mobile phones by passing over the prison’s wall. Unfortunately for the prisoners the helicopter was seen by the warden and was seized. The controller was nowhere to be seen.

KHONKEAN – Febuary 10, 2014 [PDN]; at 16.00, Pol.Somsak Suwarnnasutcharit, Khonkhean governor, Mr.Wutichai Jenwiriyakul, the commandor of the central prison Khonkean announced the results of as drug bust where they found 4 grams of crystal meth, a remote controlled helicopter with a camera, worth around 160,000 baht, 6 Nokia 208 worth 1,900 baht, and from body searching, found 3 phones, 8 sim cards, 1 memory card, 3 battery chargers, 4 head phones, 20 sharp iron modified weapons and tattoo equipment.

At noon, there was a remote control helicopter which flew over the wall to zone 1, zone 2, where it dropped off objects attached to it which were small boxes. But all the boxes dropped where caught by the officers.

Then the officers then announced that all 3,000 inmates were to be searched and found 3 mobile phones, sharp iron modified weapons, 4 grams of crystal meth. The officers co-operated with the border patrolling police 2 to find who was controlling the helicopter which had crashed into a drainage ditch. The officer seized it as evidence.

However, after the press conference, they gave the helicopter to detective police team and the video clip with the recording of a voice to find out who ordered the phones.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2014/02/10/radio-controlled-helicopter-used-to-drop-phones-over-prison-wall/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-02-10

a remote controlled helicopter worth more than a million baht used to deliver phones and drugs in the prison was abandoned 150 m from the prision......

well i find that a lot of information is missing from this report...

and why the hell is there a LEGO helicopter in this article?

I dunno, it has certainly brightened my Monday to imagine our yellow faced hero in the photo delivering drugs into prison with his perfect little smile!

• Like 1

You'd have thunk they would have sprung for the model with inbuilt GPS that could have been programmed to go to specific GPS co-ordinates to drop the goodies, and then fly to a safe landing site for collection.

Pot.. to Kettle.. Your black...

593785.jpg

Yeah thats really a 50k industrial spec coptor..

As per "some people shouldn't post if they don't know what they are talking about" rolleyes.gif

Edited by LivinLOS

Looks like a 700 size helicopter, with a Naza flight controller for autonomous flight and an FPV setup to see where it is going. Shouldn't cost even a tenth of the "experts" estimate.

I have a gps drone, it will fly up to 5km's away and then return along a programmed flightpath, steaming video to my ipad as it goes. A lot of fun for looking down on jungle, rivers etc. Mine is not up to carrying anything though.

I have a gps drone, it will fly up to 5km's away and then return along a programmed flightpath, steaming video to my ipad as it goes. A lot of fun for looking down on jungle, rivers etc. Mine is not up to carrying anything though.

What model you got and what software do you use to fly it? Very interested in this as a hobby.

... and the drone disguised as a large owl was first discovered by an enthusiastic birdwatching guard who wondered why the owl's wings were circling above its head. His curiosity was further aroused when the owl dropped a long brown 4kg package into the prison yard. 'Bugger me' he said, I knew that owls shit hard pellets, but that was a monster !

It is fun, I should know. :D

• Like 1