Aeon Bank now charge 150 B ATM fee

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to confirm, you were charged a B150 fee for an AEON ATM transaction...a fee Bt150 fee appeared on the screen and on your AEON ATM receipt?

Or are you saying you "heard" they now charge Bt150. There is another ThaiVisa thread a month or two old talking about the AEON ATM website now saying a Bt150 fee for foreign cards and Bt20 for non-AEON Thai card will be charged, but no one has confirmed yet they have been charged an AEON ATM fee. I used a foreign card in an AEON ATM just two days ago here in Bangkok and was not charged a fee.

That's a real downer....the last time AEON made a major policy change by reducing the max withdrawal to Bt20K per transaction it seemed to take a few months before all their ATMs across Thailand implemented the change based on how the posts were appearing on ThaiVisa and my use of AEON ATMs. Maybe its a change that has to be manually programmed into the ATM by a technician versus just pushing out an online programming code change to all ATMs. I'll need to give my local AEON ATM another try here in western Bangkok...but as of approx 2 days ago it was still fee-free.

Sounds as if that could be the last time I'll use AEON. Got p'o'd when they limited the withdrawal to 20k, as I get charged per transaction by my Canadian bank. So now if they're charging the standard 150 baht per transaction, plus my bank's fee, there's absolutely no incentive for me to use them any more.

Too bad - I did like going to their atm.

Just tried the AEON ATM I always use here in western Bangkok...a screen did pop up saying a Bt150 fee would apply. An end to era...so sad...but some bankers are smiling big.

Maybe a system-wide AEON ATM update occurred today. So sad.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

Just tried the AEON ATM I always use here in western Bangkok...a screen did pop up saying a Bt150 fee would apply. An end to era...so sad...but some bankers are smiling big.

And here's a snapshot of the fee screen displayed.

post-55970-0-06632500-1392102732_thumb.j

That 1966 hit song "I fought the law..." comes to mind. But with a word change...

I fought the banks....and the banks won.

I guess the humble traveler's cheque may make a little comeback in LOS (especially if you can get them free of charge and in large denominations such as $500). However, I encountered a bit of resistance for the first time when I recently tried to cash in my AMEX traveler's cheque at a Bangkok Bank branch, but the teller accepted after consulting her supervisor.

That 1966 hit song "I fought the law..." comes to mind. But with a word change...

I fought the banks....and the banks won.

I guess the humble traveler's cheque may make a little comeback in LOS (especially if you can get them free of charge and in large denominations such as $500). However, I encountered a bit of resistance for the first time when I recently tried to cash in my AMEX traveler's cheque at a Bangkok Bank branch, but the teller accepted after consulting her supervisor.

I agree, the 30 baht fee is largely offset by the better exchange rate on TC vs cash, especially with the 500$ TC.

Never had issues cashing one, and I always check all the banks for the best rate!

The solution is simple - it just takes a few minutes longer. Just go into the bank with your passport & foreign credit/debit card & ask for a cash advance on your credit card. The trick is that the sum being requested must be higher than the ATM's usual maximum advance (THB 20,000?).

The bank does the paperwork, gets the authorisation, copies your passport (which you also sign) and the bank give you the cash. Best thing is that there's no fees! Not a single Baht & you get personalised service as part if the deal

The solution is simple - it just takes a few minutes longer. Just go into the bank with your passport & foreign credit/debit card & ask for a cash advance on your credit card. The trick is that the sum being requested must be higher than the ATM's usual maximum advance (THB 20,000?).

The bank does the paperwork, gets the authorisation, copies your passport (which you also sign) and the bank give you the cash. Best thing is that there's no fees! Not a single Baht & you get personalised service as part if the deal

Unless it's after banking hours, or you're just hitting the ATM because all you have is 1000's and you need some 100's (my most common ATM transaction is 900 baht, because I need the 100's)

So I think Bangkok Bank atm limit is 25,000 per withdraw

Then someone said Bank of Ayuttaya limit is 30,000 per withdraw

So does this mean for Americans that the cheapest way to get money is by transferring through BBK in New York???

Please make triple sure that your international bank will not charge you a % for doing this.

Unless it's after banking hours, or you're just hitting the ATM because all you have is 1000's and you need some 100's (my most common ATM transaction is 900 baht, because I need the 100's)

Andif you have the time to sit and wait, which I think is the national pastime in Thailand.

that is bad news. Now AEON can watch a significant drop in ATM usage from farang's taking money out as there is no incentive anymore

I doubt they care. They weren't making ANY money on the transaction. So there was no incentive for them before to let us take money out.

That's brilliant!

I didn't look forward to the long drive on the moped to big C and HomePro just to hit that ATM so I wouldn't get a fee. But I do like the idea of just walking into a bank and not getting charged. Thanks for the tip!

Please make triple sure that your international bank will not charge you a % for doing this.

It is too bad that Aeon made the change. I'm not concerned with the ATM fees since I have a Charles Schwab card that refunds any ATM fees I get charged but I still tried to not incur charges if I didn't need to. Since Aeon has started charging, I have no reason to use them over any other bank here. A bank just down the street has a 30,000 baht limit and so one transaction there will pretty much cover me for a month.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Archived