Banks in Pattaya where i can rent safety deposit box

flakes

This is in the "Land of the Free".

The US State of Georgia just passed a law for bank accounts with no activity for more than one year. They seize them.

I'd say try Singapore or Austria.

Several years ago I had an account with a a bank in Florida. colonial trust I think it was. I had about 800 USD in the savings account. this was just an account I was keeping open and would add about 100 or 200 USD a year. Not my mainstream account of course. Surprised was I that I got a statement saying like 6% had been taken out as an "inactivity fee". I called them and said, so if I don't bother you people at all, don't need any paper statements, etc. that bothers you? Would you rather I once every week make tiny deposits and withdrawals and make your accounting system and clerks have to do something? So I got the fee back and I closed the account. Safe deposits in the USA have some history of being misused and appropriated with disuse, even if you pay the fees. But the controller in the interview talked about giving people better opportunities to get their property back! The people should not need to reclaim their property, especially if the boxes were paid up and in good standing. Disgusting white collar thiefs.

When I lived in Jomtien (years ago) I visited about six banks and each had a long waiting list for safety boxes. The manager of one bank told me to watch for a bank under construction, seek out the manager, give him my particulars (along with a deposit) and hold my breath...

Lo and behold...about two months later I had a box (about 300 baht a year IIRC). Several friends succeeded in doing the same thing...

Hope this helps and good luck smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

So many posts here on where to rent/lease a safety deposit box. Personally, I would never entertain doing that in Thailand, the risks I can see would be, fire, theft, business bankruptcy, and the limit placed on any sort of loss insurance, this is a very difficult thing to insure against, it would only be your word against the company, as to the value of the contents. Also the inconvenience of actually going to the place every time you wanted to open the safe.

I fitted a safe many years ago in my own condo, plus other rental units I have. For about 5K you can buy a fireproof Pilot brand electronic safe about 45x45x30 cm, that can be rag-bolted to the floor and wall, making it almost impossible to remove.

One poster mentioned a bar owner being held at knifepoint demanding they open the safe, and was robed of 2 million Baht in cash, I would most certainly would not keep that amount of cash in a safe, why not keep it in a bank?

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

even worse than trusting a private company

So true. But you gotta cover all the bases. After years of reading postings from our sharpest members with the best advice, in 2014 I distilled the collective wisdom into the now-classic shrewd, street-smart TVF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand:

1. Never invest in anything you aren't ready to lose;

2. Never own more than you can carry with you or leave behind;

3. Keep your suitcase packed at all times.

Which is all we need. Quoting one or more of the Laws gives you ten (+10) instant points of TVF posting cred from the peanut gallery.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2018 at 7:32 PM, JSixpack said:

After years of reading postings from our sharpest members with the best advice, in 2014 I distilled the collective wisdom into the now-classic shrewd, street-smart TVF Poster Three Primal Laws Of Survival In Thailand:

1. Never invest in anything you aren't ready to lose;

2. Never own more than you can carry with you or leave behind;

3. Keep your suitcase packed at all times.

Best advice ever.

Always have a plan B(urma), C(ambodia) and... P(hillipines).

I had a big box for very many years at the Krungsri branch opposite Foodland in the Central Pattaya Road. After many years they started to increase the rent every year by a substantial amount. It got too expensive and so I canceled it. Had just documents in it (before this I stored a very expensive notebook there when I was on holiday - because of this the big size). Perhaps they still have boxes available. 

SCB right before Walking Street.   They'll likely 'suggest' that you go to the front of the line (of the safety deposit box waiting list) if you purchase one of those life insurance savings plans that don't return your principal for 20 years but IMO it beats having your valuables in a home safe that you can be forced to open.   

How about those standart Hotel Room safety boxes.

Some 5 years ago, there was a clip on You Tube that showed how to open one of those without code or key. On my next holiday I applied the procedure myself. Took me 5 seconds to open the damm thing by following You Tube instructions.

Not saying how here, but it has something to do with the selenoid inside that can be "shocked" into "open" mode by outside action.

11 hours ago, swissie said:

How about those standart Hotel Room safety boxes.

Some 5 years ago, there was a clip on You Tube that showed how to open one of those without code or key. On my next holiday I applied the procedure myself. Took me 5 seconds to open the damm thing by following You Tube instructions.

Not saying how here, but it has something to do with the selenoid inside that can be "shocked" into "open" mode by outside action.

They aren't that difficult without hitting them with  potato..... locked myself out of one recently and saw it opened rather more readily than I liked. Many instances in the past where an over-ride key or code was shared with too many staff. Don't put the crown jewels in there.