Afro-american Bar B Q

Ulysses G.

Most Americans know that African Americans make the world's best Bar B Que Ribs and a new place called He11's Kitchen, specializing in Afro-American Bar B Que (and maybe some soul food at a later date) has opened in the Gold Arcade in between Miquel's fresh Mexican and Mike's Hamburgers.

The owner is a nice fellow and plans to only concentate mostly on Bar B Que ribs and chicken to make sure that it is of the best quality and is doing a good job so far.

I tried the chicken last night and certainly enjoyed it, but I really love the fixings that go with it and the baked beans might have the best that I have had - ever - anywhere! The freshly made waffles went down good too.

Has anybody else tried this place yet? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

It is a little hard to find.

There is a Black Canyon Coffee outlet on the main road as well as a branch of Amazing Sandwich. I think that it is called Chaiyapoom Road at that point. Right in between is a small arcade and internet shop. Just walk to the back of the arcade and look to the right for 'Hel_l's Kitchen". :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've been there three times already, the last time with seven friends. The food is consistantly good tasting and plentiful. The rack of ribs is the best deal. The most food for the money. I split the ribs with my wife and it's still enough. One of the seven friends is a Brit and he finished the entire rack claiming he just couldn't stop. That little corner back back of Black Canyon Coffee consisting of a bar, Amazing Sandwich and He11's Kitchen is a quiet, out of the way, place. The pool table in the bar is one of the most level and smooth I've found in CM. IMHO it's worth a try.

Edited by Sojourner

OOOHH...

Sitting in chilly, grey, rainy Seattle and longing...PINING to be home in CM. One more thing to look forward to when I return in September! I sure am homesick...

I know, OFF TOPIC :o

Yes, WAY off topic, but understandable and forgiven. :D

And Yes, Chiangmai just seems to offer more and more. Where I used to miss some things in the States, I think today, my cravings are either being satisfied locally or I just don't remember what I was always missing! :D

Ulysses

You have started something......

I went to hel_l's Kitchen for dinner tonight with my family. The food is awesome........ no complaints on portion, service etc.

When we requested our bill, the owner came out and asked how we heard about the place.

I said, "On the Internet, Thai Visa!"

She said, "My husband thought it would be a slow day, so he stayed home to work around the house, now we are having our busiest day because of the internet"

For some of the other TV posters, I did mention that she needed to get in corn bread.......

I also intimated she could do a dynamite breakfast business with bisquits and gravey (Southern Style) for all you Non-USA foreigners that is with Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage (I am giving her the recipt for the sausage)

Again, thanks Ulysses for the heads up on this little piece of home....... oh, her husband and her is from Ft. Benning, GA.

For some of the other TV posters, I did mention that she needed to get in corn bread.......

I also intimated she could do a dynamite breakfast business with bisquits and gravey (Southern Style) for all you Non-USA foreigners that is with Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage (I am giving her the recipt for the sausage)

Latife's wife seems quite clever and industrious, but please mention this to him as well. Being Thai, she might not know what foods you are refering to!

He mentioned that he was thinking of doing a Southern breakfast and I'm sure that suggestions are welcome! :o

Met lateef today after ordering my rack of ribs!. just finish having it together with missus and her bro. awesome ribs. baked beans was too good. could be a little less sweet though.

but hey wish him all the best man. very very friendly place to dine out at! .. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Again, thanks Ulysses for the heads up on this little piece of home....... oh, her husband and her is from Ft. Benning, GA.

That would be nice indeed. Will have to make an expedition to this place soon.

Latife's wife seems quite clever and industrious, but please mention this to him as well. Being Thai, she might not know what foods you are refering to!

He mentioned that he was thinking of doing a Southern breakfast and I'm sure that suggestions are welcome! :o

I Had lunch there yesterday, based on your recommendations and was very disapointed. I ordered the rib dinner, and the amount of meat on the two inch ribs were miniscule compared to some place like Dukes. Where the portions are very generous for almost the same money. Your right the baked beans were good, but that alone will not warrent a second visit. My friend ordered the chicken and said it was ok. The owners wife was pleasant and did come over several times times ask if things were ok. It did take a while for her to get our orders straight. I wish I could say it was great value, which is one of the things I look for, but sadly, I don't think this place will make it as the location is poor and the food was just so so. Hope I'm wrong, as the people seemed nice.

I Had lunch there yesterday, based on your recommendations and was very disapointed. I ordered the rib dinner, and the amount of meat on the two inch ribs were miniscule compared to some place like Dukes. Where the portions are very generous for almost the same money. Your right the baked beans were good, but that alone will not warrent a second visit. My friend ordered the chicken and said it was ok. The owners wife was pleasant and did come over several times times ask if things were ok. It did take a while for her to get our orders straight. I wish I could say it was great value, which is one of the things I look for, but sadly, I don't think this place will make it as the location is poor and the food was just so so. Hope I'm wrong, as the people seemed nice.

I agree totally. Initially reluctant to comment as was waiting someone who had the rack of rib as I was not impressed with the rib dinner. I am doing so now that I see someone else mirrors my assessment. I had the rib dinner and was astounded at the lack of meat. Surely the owner would not choose such a meagre sliver of ribs were he to serve the same at home; I certainly would not, least of all to serve at a restaurant. The beans were great. I had ordered fries but was served potato salad which was good, albeit no pepper only salt. The Thai lady was indeed pleasant, but where was the owner: in light of the fact that his restaurant is just starting up, I would think being there during its critical opening months would be a given. I did not mention the mixup in salad vs fries.

I did wonder how they were cooking the ribs, as I had seen no smoker. It turns out they have 2 barbecue pits behind the counter neither of which were lit. They said they cook them up in the morning: "hmmm, interesting" was my comment. This is not a Kansas-style BBQ and certainly not in the traditions of Afro-Americans. But hey...go for it. Thankfully for the restaurant, others on the board are ecstatic over the food.

I ate their today, very good food, great price and service.

Meet owner and his wife nice people, great pool table next door at Caribbean place. All of the other

restaurants around his, have made it okay. Problem is you can"t please every one !

I haven't eaten ribs in Chiang Mai enough to know which place has the biggest size, or most meat, but a freind of mine who has, mentioned after reading this thread that he has had small portions of meat at all the rib places in Chiang Mai on different occasions.

Maybe it depends on what cuts of meat are available at the butchers on a particular day? :o

I've ordered the ribs at Duke's about 10 times. The only time I didn't get a "huge" serving was the one time it was huger than huge. As consistently large the ribs serving is at Duke's, the baked beans are consistently terrible. The staff at Duke's often have a problem getting the sides and sauce orders right too. But I'm there for the ribs, which have taste in addition to quantity, not the beans and service.

I took the kids and we shared a rack of ribs. They were heavily trimmed of "excess" meat but that was not the major problem. They were served almost cold, at best luke warm. Good temperature for a red wine, (or maybe British beer, :o ) but not for bbq food. Very little sauce. Not even enough to spread over one side of the rack.

No beans, they were out. Coleslaw was the best I had had since Easy Diner :D and a passable spud salad.

Bottled orange, not fresh.

All in all, it was better than some places, previously reccommended, and we will probably try it again. But we were all disappointed.